Flames 22/23 Lineup

travel_dude

4 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I will get in on the Sutter should not be made GM, we seen that horror movie before. If Edwards appoints Sutter to GM hes a Fing moron. Sutter is a good coach, he is a lousy GM. So Tre stated when Sutter was hired " This team needed Darryl " . Last season was good with fairly close to similar results this year with  poor tending. WIth all the reconstrcution of the roster thats a positive, which actually surprised me that we were close to last year stats

Phillips is having a great season as are a few others. So who do you remove out of the roster to insert Phillips? Now the concus would be Lucic, but has he been that bad since coming back? Duher got inserted has had the two games, in a role that we need filled based on injury, has he been noticiable YES, has he been affective YES, despie the goal he has had a positive impact. Phillips got 2 games was he noticable NO, did he make a differance NO, did he have a huger impact than Lucic, NO.  Do we have a spot in the top 6 that needs filled right now based on poor play and injury NO. I am all for the removal of Lucic I am but currently he hasn't been that awful. IMHO if your removing anyone off the roster based on insufficent performance and liabilty its Stone. So lets go here, Markstrom is struggling and Wolf is lighting it up, why not place Markstrom in the popcorn section and bring in Wolf. Thats currently a position that is lacking right now. 

With Valimaki did he really impress. If we are a rebuilding team than sure plaster your roster with projects and let them flounder. If this is the postiioning of Tre than for sure I would let him walk. He did well with Hubie and Weegar and Kadri, coming back after the disaster this summer. Hell rumors were that both JG and MT were willing to stay but Tre insulted them with low offers.

Even if we are close to last year this time, we went on a big run last year.

No, Phillips didn't do much, but he was used very little in those two games.

Had a couple of shifts where he was effective, but not built on.

It would take coaching to get him over the hump, but Sutter won't spend the time with him.

That is fine, he will fit on a smaller speedy team.

Lucic is playing about as good as anyone that played with Kadri and Hibey.

But really who has had time with those two together?  

In the O zone, Lucic adds value, up to a point.

Get it to Hubey and go to the net.

Crunch on the boards and get the puck.

In the transition and D-zone, he's a mess.

The point is that you don't know what you have until you play the guy. 

Gaudreau was about 5 games before he showed he was a NHL player.

Pelletier is probably going to be the same.  Maybe some positive early results.

The problem is that Sutter can't see anything other than the size of the player.

Does Pelletier fit with Ruzie an Duehr?  Why not.

Lewis wasn't exactly a difference maker, and we have enough that can kill penalties.

Duehr and Ruzie are more effective with speed than just banging around. 

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

I will get in on the Sutter should not be made GM, we seen that horror movie before. If Edwards appoints Sutter to GM hes a Fing moron. Sutter is a good coach, he is a lousy GM. So Tre stated when Sutter was hired " This team needed Darryl " . Last season was good with fairly close to similar results this year with  poor tending. WIth all the reconstrcution of the roster thats a positive, which actually surprised me that we were close to last year stats

I could be wrong but I actually don't' think Sutter wants to be the GM. He's said multiple times since he left that role he didn't really enjoy it. Obviously it would be one of the worst hires I've ever seen but i'm personally not that worried about it. 

I'm not trying to criticize Sutter, i'm just pointing out that I think he's made some minor tweaks to how this team plays and they don't really fall in line with how the GM has built the team. In particular his line combos and how they defend the blueline. 

Phillips is having a great season as are a few others. So who do you remove out of the roster to insert Phillips? Now the concus would be Lucic, but has he been that bad since coming back? Duher got inserted has had the two games, in a role that we need filled based on injury, has he been noticiable YES, has he been affective YES, despie the goal he has had a positive impact. Phillips got 2 games was he noticable NO, did he make a differance NO, did he have a huger impact than Lucic, NO.  Do we have a spot in the top 6 that needs filled right now based on poor play and injury NO. I am all for the removal of Lucic I am but currently he hasn't been that awful. IMHO if your removing anyone off the roster based on insufficent performance and liabilty its Stone. So lets go here, Markstrom is struggling and Wolf is lighting it up, why not place Markstrom in the popcorn section and bring in Wolf. Thats currently a position that is lacking right now. 

The debate here is we ok with just ok? Has Lucic been ok in that role, sure. has that line been ok as a whole, sure but is ok good enough? Are you maximizing the talent level of this team right now by playing a guy who should be no where near your top 6 in the the top 6 full time? IMO that is a clear no. Was Brett Ritchie helping this team? Was Zohorna? This isn't just about Lucic. 

I don't buy the you can't play players like Phillips/Pelletier in a 4th line role argument. The only time in the last probably 10 years that the Flames have actually had a good 4th line is when they had Hathaway and Mang (young players) on their 4th line. 

I disagree that Phillips was not noticeable in the role they put him in. I agree Duher has been good and good to see them use him but I thought Phillips flashed too and gave them some jump/chances out of a depth role. 

Hell rumors were that both JG and MT were willing to stay but Tre insulted them with low offers.

This did not happen. I can tell you for a fact that the Flames original offer, that came right after the season, was higher than what he ended up signing for in Columbus. 

Flames and Tkachuk never talked money. 

And on Valimaki I actually think is one of Sutter' biggest flaws, he gets too focused on the now. Did Valimaki play in that moment deserve it, maybe not, but if you let young players work through their issues what is the pay off? He is not willing to let young players work through and in the cap era that is how you build a contender, you get guys who can outperform their cap hits but he isn't patient enough to let it happen. It was a flaw as a GM and I think it's a flaw as a coach too. I thikn he'd be wise to take some feedback from his GM here too, just like he can give feedback to Treliving too. 

At the end of the day I don't want to come across like i'm stirring the pot here. I just think you can see discrepancies between the philosophies of Treliving and Sutter and I've always been of the opinion that it was the owners who picked Sutter and not Treliving. That piece I obviously cannot confirm, nor am I suggesting it was the wrong hire, but it's always felt that. When you consider that idea, consider the fact it's been long rumored (and I believe this to be true) that Treliving has had to fight for autonomy in previous contracts, and that his stock has never been hire as a GM, it just won't shock me if he puts that all together and goes somewhere else.

This doesn't need to be framed as Sutter vs Treliving and I'm not sure that's what it would come down to. It would be more is there a better situation out there for him. Might not be, I don't know, but I don't doubt his phone would ring like crazy if he were to decide to leave. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The_People1 said:

As you say, we are average.  I hope you agree that that's not good enough.  I know I sound overly critical but that's because we need to be exceptional to have a chance to win the Cup.

I agree a great first step is to move Markstrom this summer. I wouldn't even try to get anything of value back.  Just free the $6-mil.  He's turning 33 so there's a chance that he's regressing due to age and he's never going back to his prime again.

I do agree its not good enough.  I do pay decent money every year, but for judging a product I usually wait until the product is finished before I really assess.  They are an average team now for sure, but if I've learned anything from watching sports for my whole life is that being average at the half way point doesn't mean you can't be exceptional at the end, I believe there are more teams this century that went through a coaching change during the season that won cups than there are President's Trophy winners that won cups.  I think the main difference between myself and you is that I need more data before I declare Huberdeau and Weegar to be bad acquisitions (I also don't think they have been that bad), you are already declaring them bad.  I'm not a half full or half empty person, this year the results aren't there but many one goal games, how many of those change with one timely save, a shot that is half an inch lower or just better discipline.  Last year I was also one that wanted to curb expectations of what our top performers were based on the number of 3rd to 6th string goalies we played.  I'm never too high or too low with this team, but always prepared for the worst.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

But that's the point, it isn't not if we look at the same spot of the season last year. 

Like I said at this time last year the Flames were 14th in scoring rates at 5 on 5. 15th in all situation with 2.99 Goals for/60. 

This year they are 10th at 5 on 5 and 22nd in all situations with 3.02.  They are actually scoring at a higher rate this year than they were last year, again at this point in the season. 

Only point being is the narrative between last year to this year has changed mostly due to expectations. Agian we forget that it wasn't until February that last year's team really took off, especially offensively, but it's not like they were a high end goal scoring team all year. 

to me it also looks like scoring around the league might be a bit up in all situations. I mean it's a few points of 0.03 that we are above, but still below, but being above this year we are still 7 spots lower.

So if  scoring is up and we aren't at the same clip as other teams and not defending as well, it's going to result in being a few spots lower in the standings. Beating teams out of the playoffs will help, and teams that are missing a lot of  regulars.

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

to me it also looks like scoring around the league might be a bit up in all situations. I mean it's a few points of 0.03 that we are above, but still below, but being above this year we are still 7 spots lower.

So if  scoring is up and we aren't at the same clip as other teams and not defending as well, it's going to result in being a few spots lower in the standings. Beating teams out of the playoffs will help, and teams that are missing a lot of  regulars.

Not really.  

This year: the top 10 team's are averaging 3.5 and the top 15 teams 3.41

Last year: Top 10 teams averaged 3.48 and the top 15 3.35. Very small difference. 

League scoring is up but it's mostly due to the fact that you have more teams at the bottom so doesn't really describe the Flames. 

The PP would be your biggest culprit there. 

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

This is where I am falling as well. Started with Valimaki, Sutter didn't play him and Treliving did an interview expressed he needs to play, and it's built every since. I don't think the way Sutter is coaching the team this year is how Treliving built it, they are way more passive and this team was built to skate and pressure, and obviously it seems fairly obvious they are not on the same page with young players. it has to be frustrating for Treliving to see a first round pick go to the AHL, do everything they could want, see your NHL team in need of more speed, goal scoring, and then not have your coach play that player. 

I wouldn't blame Treliving at all if he walks over this at the end of the season. 

That could/would be a big problem. About a month ago an analyst from SN said that he believed that if Tre didnt return then the next GM would basically be a figurehead, with Sutter calling the shots with trades, acquisitions, call ups, etc. Basically having Sutter as coach and also a GM just in an unofficial capacity. There would be zero chance an incoming GM would be anyone with any kind of pedigree. 

I cant say I would be totally surprised if that happens. Especially if Sutter is as close to the ownership as other have said.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Not really.  

This year: the top 10 team's are averaging 3.5 and the top 15 teams 3.41

Last year: Top 10 teams averaged 3.48 and the top 15 3.35. Very small difference. 

League scoring is up but it's mostly due to the fact that you have more teams at the bottom so doesn't really describe the Flames. 

The PP would be your biggest culprit there. 

Our scoring vs goals against is much tighter this year.

For every 5-2 win, we have 3-2, 4-3, 2-1 wins and losses.

That tightness in games is killing us.

Up or down a goal and we lose in regulation or extra time/SO.

It's tiresome that a 2 or 3 goal lead is down to the wire most nights.

Exciting, but no room for error.

My beef with player usage is that we seem content being just good enough to win some nights.

Last night was good but we got lucky twice.  Duehr was a great goal.  

4 points in 3 games.

Against 2 outmanned teams.

I'm fine with consistency in lines, but some are looking stale some nights.

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I could be wrong but I actually don't' think Sutter wants to be the GM. He's said multiple times since he left that role he didn't really enjoy it. Obviously it would be one of the worst hires I've ever seen but i'm personally not that worried about it. 

I'm not trying to criticize Sutter, i'm just pointing out that I think he's made some minor tweaks to how this team plays and they don't really fall in line with how the GM has built the team. In particular his line combos and how they defend the blueline. 

The debate here is we ok with just ok? Has Lucic been ok in that role, sure. has that line been ok as a whole, sure but is ok good enough? Are you maximizing the talent level of this team right now by playing a guy who should be no where near your top 6 in the the top 6 full time? IMO that is a clear no. Was Brett Ritchie helping this team? Was Zohorna? This isn't just about Lucic. 

I don't buy the you can't play players like Phillips/Pelletier in a 4th line role argument. The only time in the last probably 10 years that the Flames have actually had a good 4th line is when they had Hathaway and Mang (young players) on their 4th line. 

I disagree that Phillips was not noticeable in the role they put him in. I agree Duher has been good and good to see them use him but I thought Phillips flashed too and gave them some jump/chances out of a depth role. 

This did not happen. I can tell you for a fact that the Flames original offer, that came right after the season, was higher than what he ended up signing for in Columbus. 

Flames and Tkachuk never talked money. 

At the end of the day I don't want to come across like i'm stirring the pot here. I just think you can see discrepancies between the philosophies of Treliving and Sutter and I've always been of the opinion that it was the owners who picked Sutter and not Treliving. That piece I obviously cannot confirm, nor am I suggesting it was the wrong hire, but it's always felt that. When you consider that idea, consider the fact it's been long rumored (and I believe this to be true) that Treliving has had to fight for autonomy in previous contracts, and that his stock has never been hire as a GM, it just won't shock me if he puts that all together and goes somewhere else.

This doesn't need to be framed as Sutter vs Treliving and I'm not sure that's what it would come down to. It would be more is there a better situation out there for him. Might not be, I don't know, but I don't doubt his phone would ring like crazy if he were to decide to leave. 

This club has always been just OK though.  Would Tre be offered another Job some where else, no question. Tre has some good points and bad. The contract negoations with JG and MT were not current but were dated back a few years. He never committed to MT and lowballed JG, in essence he gambled and lost. 

Tre' s design concept and idealism's for this club were flawed. We had a culture problem and work ethic issue pre Sutter thats been confirmed by both coach and GM. I get on this club harder than most as I still believe the attirude and work ethic are turned on and off to easy, that has changed under Sutter. I get also have had comments about Lucic and giving Phillips a chance, he was provided an oppurtunity. 

Really I get the feel good story and the BS in the media of how do you know what you have if you don't give them a chance, is why this club floundered down the previous road. Entiltied not Earned should not be your marching orders.  First are we in a position to take a risk with rookies right now, NO. Its not like we have a 20 point cushion in the standings. Secondly, how bad would it look if Sutter said sure put the kid in and we lose 2-3 games and miss the playoffs because he was pressured to do it. You really think this guy is going to be presssured into putting Phillips in becasue we and some ink jockey needs a story, not on your life. The more he gets pushed the firmer he will stand. Thirdly can anyone or would anyone bet their jobs livelyhood and the season on tossing rookies out there to see what we got. Sutter does this every game he ices the team and lives and dies with the choices. Does anyone really belive that he wouldn't put a player in if he though that they could improve the chances of winning? 

I get the love story and the feel good story to this. However I just don't see how Phiiips or Pelts makes you far more superior than what you have out there or really worth the gamble

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Even if we are close to last year this time, we went on a big run last year.

No, Phillips didn't do much, but he was used very little in those two games.

Had a couple of shifts where he was effective, but not built on.

It would take coaching to get him over the hump, but Sutter won't spend the time with him.

That is fine, he will fit on a smaller speedy team.

Lucic is playing about as good as anyone that played with Kadri and Hibey.

But really who has had time with those two together?  

In the O zone, Lucic adds value, up to a point.

Get it to Hubey and go to the net.

Crunch on the boards and get the puck.

In the transition and D-zone, he's a mess.

The point is that you don't know what you have until you play the guy. 

Gaudreau was about 5 games before he showed he was a NHL player.

Pelletier is probably going to be the same.  Maybe some positive early results.

The problem is that Sutter can't see anything other than the size of the player.

Does Pelletier fit with Ruzie an Duehr?  Why not.

Lewis wasn't exactly a difference maker, and we have enough that can kill penalties.

Duehr and Ruzie are more effective with speed than just banging around. 

So you would remove Lewis to put Pelletier in? Our first goal was set up with an unbelviebale pass from Lewis to Kadri. SUtter loves Lewis, because every game , every shift he plays like it might be his last, same with Tanev, there warriors...Soemthing the young ones could learn from. 

Are we in a situation for 5-10 game tryouts right now, NO.  We are barely in a playoff spot and everyone wants the warm fuzzy socks to feel good. Like I mentioned before, I get it but I can see the other side to. Its easy for us to arm chair coach, but at the end of the day Sutter gets judged at every turn with the roster, players, line ups and results  EVERY GAME. He is willing to live and die with those choices. Would you be willing to put the season your job and reputation on the line just to " See what we have" . Does anyone really belive that he is that stubborn or that stupid he won't insert a player based on size, if he knew with out a doubt they could have an impact, REALLY. 

56 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

So you would remove Lewis to put Pelletier in? Our first goal was set up with an unbelviebale pass from Lewis to Kadri. SUtter loves Lewis, because every game , every shift he plays like it might be his last, same with Tanev, there warriors...Soemthing the young ones could learn from. 

Are we in a situation for 5-10 game tryouts right now, NO.  We are barely in a playoff spot and everyone wants the warm fuzzy socks to feel good. Like I mentioned before, I get it but I can see the other side to. Its easy for us to arm chair coach, but at the end of the day Sutter gets judged at every turn with the roster, players, line ups and results  EVERY GAME. He is willing to live and die with those choices. Would you be willing to put the season your job and reputation on the line just to " See what we have" . Does anyone really belive that he is that stubborn or that stupid he won't insert a player based on size, if he knew with out a doubt they could have an impact, REALLY. 

So, you are comfortable taking the safe approach and winning at around 50%?

Think about it this way.

Last year against Dallas, Markstrom did everything he could to win games 2-1.

Get that last save, battle for every inch of the crease.

He had almost nothing left to bring against EDM.

And there was little experience of the backup to bring him in.

That is the style of games we are winning and losing now.

And we only have the depth that is on the NHL roster.

When are you ever in a place where you can give a 5-10 game tryout.

How do you evaluate depth when you don't ever play them.

Duehr scored on the rush and he's not our best prospect.

His best plays were from him skating and creating havoc.

That's kinda what you want a prospect to do in their first few games.

Like the old saying goes, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

NHL players aren't born in the NHL.

At some point, you risk a game by playing them.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I concur. I totally get what @tmac70 is saying, but the truth is, what's out there now is supposedly the best product we can ice. I'm not convinced that it's good enough to go on a deep run. I'm not saying that Matthew Phillips is the solution, but I definitely don't think it cost anything to play him in the games that they did. There is a long list of superstar NHL players that didn't make an impact in their first two games.

A goalpost and a penalty is not nothing.

But it's like FS said, you're not going to wake up tomorrow and get a new Darryl Sutter. He is what he is, and my personal opinion is that he's not the right guy - which has been my opinion since sometime around 2008. However, I don't get much of a say in the matter.

If the coach costs us the GM, that's not a trade I'd make, but if the reports are true, then that might be the path that we're going down. It could also be a whole lotta nothin', so all I can do is go along for the ride.

Love.

6 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

I concur. I totally get what @tmac70 is saying, but the truth is, what's out there now is supposedly the best product we can ice. I'm not convinced that it's good enough to go on a deep run. I'm not saying that Matthew Phillips is the solution, but I definitely don't think it cost anything to play him in the games that they did. There is a long list of superstar NHL players that didn't make an impact in their first two games.

A goalpost and a penalty is not nothing.

But it's like FS said, you're not going to wake up tomorrow and get a new Darryl Sutter. He is what he is, and my personal opinion is that he's not the right guy - which has been my opinion since sometime around 2008. However, I don't get much of a say in the matter.

If the coach costs us the GM, that's not a trade I'd make, but if the reports are true, then that might be the path that we're going down. It could also be a whole lotta nothin', so all I can do is go along for the ride.

Love.

There might be another way to look at this. Maybe the organization should be credited for calling up Philips as a reward and reacquainting him with the team on a road trip for several days while providing him with a Christmas bonu$. It’s better than not getting the call at all. I doubt BT calls up players without consulting DS first. DS took a look by offering him 2 games and 5:40 on the pp vs 2 original 6 teams, how cool is that. Maybe the next call he gets he grabs the bull by the horns and stays with the Flames for good, maybe he doesn’t.

I’m not a fan of these power struggle rumours between BT and DS, it’s disruptive and poisonous. DS knows hockey, he recognises and rewards talent when he sees it. Players on his bench need to be contributing one way or another, if there is still learning or building to be done then he is a big fan of the AHL. I don’t think DS or any NHL coach has much time for 10 game try-outs on his team unless he has no choice.

The road to the NHL is not an easy one apparently, if you happen to be the smallest player in the history of the sport then it’s that much tougher.  Fleury and Gaudreau cleared and paved a path for Philips.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

The road to the NHL is not an easy one apparently, if you happen to be the smallest player in the history of the sport then it’s that much tougher.  Fleury and Gaudreau cleared and paved a path for Philips.

Nate Gerbe says hi.

Yamamoto has an inch and 13 pounds on Phillips.

He says hi from the top 6.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Nate Gerbe says hi.

well there is something BT can do to offset Sutter using Lucic in a top 9 role…move him for anything…sure he has a list of teams but move him for anything…at this point he’s presence is even more of an issue than the cap $$$ retain 50% and add a pick (3rd) just to clear him out of the line up then Sutter will have to use someone else

17 hours ago, travel_dude said:

So, you are comfortable taking the safe approach and winning at around 50%?

Think about it this way.

Last year against Dallas, Markstrom did everything he could to win games 2-1.

Get that last save, battle for every inch of the crease.

He had almost nothing left to bring against EDM.

And there was little experience of the backup to bring him in.

That is the style of games we are winning and losing now.

And we only have the depth that is on the NHL roster.

Its not so much  comfort that the best we have right now. To my point this roster isn't lighting the world on fire. This clubs mantra is to get into the playoffs as anything could happen. Was Markstrom gassed or did he just gaff in the Colier series. That series was ripe for the taking they just fell into the Coiler style of game. 

The last point is the did risk 2 games and put Phillips in. I am not saying he was bad I am saying he didn't provide the catayst this club required. 

The elevation for Pelts is a good thing in multiple ways.

1) The kid gets be part of the NHL culture watch learn and practice with the big boys. 

2) He will make more MONEY as a bonus for his good play. So if being around the club don't get you motivated the triple sized pay check should kick you in the Hash Rate more. If an injury happens he may just get a shot like Duher. Duher is in the lineup with the Rithciie injury. Its his spot to keep or lose based on his play. 

3) This is a good reminder to the veterans when he is in the locker room. At one time this was them on the other side pounding to get a chance. They vets should get motivated to play better to stay in the line up. Hey Lucic sat for a couple, nobody thought Sutter would do it. 

I get the goal is to play or get a shot but once agian who are you sitting to do it? Lucic has been better since he got sat, taking him out sends the wrong message to. Currently they only players that I could see requiring a popcorn break are Stone and Markstrom

10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Nate Gerbe says hi.

He plays because they don't have anything better, thats more of a statement to poor prospect pool and roster issues. Is he a world beater no. JG and Fleury were game changers.... Man how good would this club be with Fleury right now, guy was a stud of a hockey player

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

He plays because they don't have anything better, thats more of a statement to poor prospect pool and roster issues. Is he a world beater no. JG and Fleury were game changers.... Man how good would this club be with Fleury right now, guy was a stud of a hockey player

He plays and has the coach's favor because he works hard.

First long stretch he was dynamic with Draisaitl.

I think he's not that good myself.

But the point is, even in a lineup with two great players, you can get a chance.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Its not so much  comfort that the best we have right now. To my point this roster isn't lighting the world on fire. This clubs mantra is to get into the playoffs as anything could happen. Was Markstrom gassed or did he just gaff in the Colier series. That series was ripe for the taking they just fell into the Coiler style of game. 

The last point is the did risk 2 games and put Phillips in. I am not saying he was bad I am saying he didn't provide the catayst this club required. 

The elevation for Pelts is a good thing in multiple ways.

1) The kid gets be part of the NHL culture watch learn and practice with the big boys. 

2) He will make more MONEY as a bonus for his good play. So if being around the club don't get you motivated the triple sized pay check should kick you in the Hash Rate more. If an injury happens he may just get a shot like Duher. Duher is in the lineup with the Rithciie injury. Its his spot to keep or lose based on his play. 

3) This is a good reminder to the veterans when he is in the locker room. At one time this was them on the other side pounding to get a chance. They vets should get motivated to play better to stay in the line up. Hey Lucic sat for a couple, nobody thought Sutter would do it. 

I get the goal is to play or get a shot but once agian who are you sitting to do it? Lucic has been better since he got sat, taking him out sends the wrong message to. Currently they only players that I could see requiring a popcorn break are Stone and Markstrom

Calling up a player for a week is kinda useless, is it not, unless you are going to play them.

What locker room is he going to be in when the team actually plays a game.

The practice is fine, but he's not on lines with the stars.

I'm not exactly sure how he ever gets into the lineup.

There are players every game that should have sat.

Nothing you can do at practice to push out one of the regulars.

Lucic didn't come back from sitting where he pushed his way to top 6.

It was lack of options then.

Get a win?  Must be a genius.

Ignore the warning signs in losses.

Must be the young players not knowing how to be ready.

Anyway, I am fine with icing the same lineup every game.

Just sit the kid down and say he's only getting in if a top 6 player gets hurt.

And that he will only get limited minutes if he ever gets in.

You're too small and scoring in the AHL means nothing.

Get ready to go back to the AHL.

Don't really see a place for you here.

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

well there is something BT can do to offset Sutter using Lucic in a top 9 role…move him for anything…sure he has a list of teams but move him for anything…at this point he’s presence is even more of an issue than the cap $$$ retain 50% and add a pick (3rd) just to clear him out of the line up then Sutter will have to use someone else

Easier said than done, 10 teams, that most likely dont have room or need for an overpriced role player. Although its not the best for the team overall hes probably having the most impact with Hubey and Naz than anyone else. Plus Looch himself is benefitting a bit. Is it the best utilization? Absolutely not, but its not any worse than him plugging away on the 4th line just filling space since we know he prob wont spend anymore time in the pressbox.

7 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Easier said than done, 10 teams, that most likely dont have room or need for an overpriced role player. Although its not the best for the team overall hes probably having the most impact with Hubey and Naz than anyone else. Plus Looch himself is benefitting a bit. Is it the best utilization? Absolutely not, but its not any worse than him plugging away on the 4th line just filling space since we know he prob wont spend anymore time in the pressbox.

Trading Lucic signals that the coach and GM want different things.

Not sure that's a battle we want right now.

We are 7-3-3 with Lucic back in, playing top 6.

May have been a game or two that he played 3rd line.

Only wins against playoff teams in stat stretch is Seattle.

NYI and STL currently out.

This is probably the easiest stretch of schedule we had.

And we are 17 points in 13 games.

That's decent winning percentage, but only because of the Cali trip.

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Calling up a player for a week is kinda useless, is it not, unless you are going to play them.

What locker room is he going to be in when the team actually plays a game.

The practice is fine, but he's not on lines with the stars.

I'm not exactly sure how he ever gets into the lineup.

There are players every game that should have sat.

Nothing you can do at practice to push out one of the regulars.

Lucic didn't come back from sitting where he pushed his way to top 6.

It was lack of options then.

Get a win?  Must be a genius.

Ignore the warning signs in losses.

Must be the young players not knowing how to be ready.

Anyway, I am fine with icing the same lineup every game.

Just sit the kid down and say he's only getting in if a top 6 player gets hurt.

And that he will only get limited minutes if he ever gets in.

You're too small and scoring in the AHL means nothing.

Get ready to go back to the AHL.

Don't really see a place for you here.

This club has 7 points out a possible 10 here lately. There is no need to shack things up. He is called up to fill a spot incase of an injury, no different than Duehr and Zoh. ZOh played well for 2 games and was sick came back was dog Satoshi Nakamoto. Duehr has take his chance and excelled. The white noise is white noise the only way Pelts gets in is if someone gets hurt. There is no reason to pull someone out just because

41 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

This club has 7 points out a possible 10 here lately. There is no need to shack things up. He is called up to fill a spot incase of an injury, no different than Duehr and Zoh. ZOh played well for 2 games and was sick came back was dog Satoshi Nakamoto. Duehr has take his chance and excelled. The white noise is white noise the only way Pelts gets in is if someone gets hurt. There is no reason to pull someone out just because

Yes, we beat the teams that are below us in the standings.

Exactly what we need to do to maintain a playoff spot.

I'm good with the win today, as bad as the defensive play was in the final 22 minutes or so.

To the point, Duehr was given a chance to play.

He did well with his minutes.

Is there some reason to believe that a player with higher AHL production wouldn't be able to handle the NHL?

I will point out that the Huberdeau line played the least of the top 3 lines.

And that was with him getting chances on 5 PP's.

Kadri had slighly more than him, but not by a lot.

So, while the wins were there against mostly non-playoff teams + Dallas, there's a lot to improve.

14 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Sutter post game comments:

Vladar played today to give Markstrom time to ge ready for the next stretch.

This is another problem with Sutter riding Markstrom when Vladar is clearly the better G…not To say Markstrom may not get on a heater for a while but currently he’s not and Vladar is so

why not let Vladar ride the hot streak?