2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

43 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The trade was never going to be a rebuild trade.

BT doesn't sign him, it's a trade for a similar return to what we got for Tkachuk.

Possibly younger with a top prospect instead of a pick.

If you like our #1 LD is Weegar.

We trade Hanifin for a C.

Or Valimaki + Dube for a C.

Think Necas or Roy.

Besides, we have some potential internal growth to consider.

Pelletier may be the next Gaudreau LOL.

Ruzie can replace Monahan.

Klapka can be the next Lucic.

Poirier/Luz could be the next Kylington/Tanev.

Ruzicka can replace new Monahan but not old Monahan. 

15 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Just graduate one of Duehr or Pospisil.  Done and done.

You can just never be sure after an offseason when that might be the right answer. Injecting youth into lineups can occasionally be beneficial. We don't really know because we've never really tried. Even Lafreniere didn't look good for a couple of seasons but you just know that he'll be a great player. The A is great seasoning for playing adult hockey, but it's never going to make a younger player mistake-free at the NHL level.

I'm not saying let's do that, but let's face it, we also have a couple of roster players that are replaceable by younger players. I mean, Lucic has run out of skills outside of attitude and try hard.

NYR spent a few yrs shuffling kids around, now their kid line looked good in the playoffs.

9 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Huberdeau  >> Gaudreau

I did not think BT would pull this off, I am impressed.

We are still short one star player but very happy to have Huberdeau here.

I just found out.

I haven't heard those words out of your mouth in a long time.lol

Now this is a player to build around.

It's always important to remember that this guy made Bennett and Duclair, even Tippett, look really good.

So if you know how to skate...

We have ourselves a no-nonsense leader.

And I believe I can hear a Panthers bandwagon choosing their new fave WC team.

The number is the number. He's more than earned it. Cap will go up. Johnny can set pt records in contract years. Jonny does it whenever he wants.

Get Weegar done and there will be zero question that we destroyed Florida with that trade.:)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The_Snowbear said:

This extension totally blind sided me from the situation only cause Hubie hadnt been to calgary yet at all or played for the team yet signed a extension

But it's hot on the heels of BT going to visit Huberdeau. So it makes perfect sense. I much prefer JH over JG at this contract. I've watched a lot of both.

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Ruzicka can replace new Monahan but not old Monahan. 

What, we have a new Monahan?

So, pretty good year for Rozie, 5g and 5a in 28 games.  15% shooting, but 33% on the dot.

If we would pick up a 2/3C then he can play LW to Backlund and learn from the best.

If Monahan was okay and still here, I would play him in that spot and shift Rozie to 4LW.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

But it's hot on the heels of BT going to visit Huberdeau. So it makes perfect sense. I much prefer JH over JG at this contract. I've watched a lot of both.

It's no different than chasing a top free agent.  You pay even though he's never played there.

The difference is you never get two top 3 points leaders going to FA.  Never.

Yeah, we bought the first year on the cheap, but essentially singing a FA blind.

I have zero problems, in fact I was expecting 10.5.

Get the Weegs done and we crushed the trade, more than we already crushed it.

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Ryan Leslie dropped this tweet last night and everyone wondered, "wtf"? lol

Saw where he was interviewed about it.  He was coy about it, but a twitter storm erupted.

Said he was on vacay.

Elliott chasing the story down with Servali on the hunt too.

Leslie usually doesn't break stories, just gets inside details about them from team/player.

Twitter is a hoot.  Haters already calling it a waste.

One guy called him "McD's new biatch".

You know they either know nothing about the player (most have no clue) or are jealous.

58 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

This extension totally blind sided me from the situation only cause Hubie hadnt been to calgary yet at all or played for the team yet signed a extension

I personally expected it when he got to town and did his first jersey on press conference.. but the dinner meeting I knew wouid be the truth of it all.. 

29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Saw where he was interviewed about it.  He was coy about it, but a twitter storm erupted.

Said he was on vacay.

Elliott chasing the story down with Servali on the hunt too.

Leslie usually doesn't break stories, just gets inside details about them from team/player.

Twitter is a hoot.  Haters already calling it a waste.

One guy called him "McD's new biatch".

You know they either know nothing about the player (most have no clue) or are jealous.

Ya it's hilarious .all the " he won't sign" people are now "overpay" haters.. personally I could care less what it looks like in year 6..   this makes Weegar a slam dunk .they're best buddies ..

It just goes to show..don't P$$$ off Brad..lol

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I personally expected it when he got to town and did his first jersey on press conference.. but the dinner meeting I knew wouid be the truth of it all.. 

Ya it's hilarious .all the " he won't sign" people are now "overpay" haters.. personally I could care less what it looks like in year 6..   this makes Weegar a slam dunk .they're best buddies ..

It just goes to show..don't P$$$ off Brad..lol

Who knew that "future considerations" were also attached to the Bennett deal?lol

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I just found out.

I haven't heard those words out of your mouth in a long time.lol

Now this is a player to build around.

It's always important to remember that this guy made Bennett and Duclair, even Tippett, look really good.

So if you know how to skate...

We have ourselves a no-nonsense leader.

And I believe I can hear a Panthers bandwagon choosing their new fave WC team.

The number is the number. He's more than earned it. Cap will go up. Johnny can set pt records in contract years. Jonny does it whenever he wants.

Get Weegar done and there will be zero question that we destroyed Florida with that trade.:)

I won't go quite that far because I don't believe you really build around wingers unless they are generational, this move was still an act of desparation and a bad contract, but I'll take it all day as opposed to no contract at all so yes I am impressed lol

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I won't go quite that far because I don't believe you really build around wingers unless they are generational, this move was still an act of desparation and a bad contract, but I'll take it all day as opposed to no contract at all so yes I am impressed lol

Had it been Gaudreau, I'd have hated the contract.

We've done nothing but spin tires with him. I'm very happy with this change of direction. The cap will go up.

I'll like Weegar's deal too, I'm sure. It could be $8per honestly. JG & Tkachuk would equal $20mil per for 8 years. I did not love that idea.

Call me crazy, but I prefer Huberdeau and Weegar under that number. I can't believe how many Flames fans that were sour on Tkachuk's play are turning around now thinking that he's a huge loss.

But he was brought up being taught respect. So my hat goes off to him for being a man about it. I have a whole new respect for him.

Words you never heard me say:

JG-Lindholm-Tkachuk, best line in the NHL. Never believed that. People love shiny numbers.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Oh well, so much for the agreeing part. 

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Had it been Gaudreau, I'd have hated the contract.

We've done nothing but spin tires with him. I'm very happy with this change of direction. The cap will go up.

I'll like Weegar's deal too, I'm sure. It could be $8per honestly. JG & Tkachuk would equal $20mil per for 8 years. I did not love that idea.

Call me crazy, but I prefer Huberdeau and Weegar under that number. I can't believe how many Flames fans that were sour on Tkachuk's play are turning around now thinking that he's a huge loss.

But he was brought up being taught respect. So my hat goes off to him for being a man about it. I have a whole new respect for him.

Words you never heard me say:

JG-Lindholm-Tkachuk, best line in the NHL. Never believed that. People love shiny numbers.

It was due to scoring and not being scored on.  Plus/minus through the roof.

We also had a great result in 2018.

About as useless a stat then as this one meant in the playoffs.

So the question really becomes, can we build a better team that does better in the playoffs.

These two are solid steps.

Considering what we have experienced with the two players that left, really solid.

Harder to play against is rarely a bad thing.

Adding a 200 foot player and losing one that didn't do anything in the D zone is a win.

We will miss the super-douche and the elite edges guy.

We won't miss the games they chose to be distracted by a squirrel. 

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So the question really becomes, can we build a better team that does better in the playoffs.

Considering what we have experienced with the two players that left, really solid.

Adding a 200 foot player and losing one that didn't do anything in the D zone is a win.

And Markstrom. JG couldn't be our MVP last year because Markstrom split the vote. Peeps wanna run him down for his last 5 games, but we weren't there in the first place without him.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You know.... I re-visited Huberdeau's past playoff performance.  More than the original glance.

I learned two things.

1.  He actually does raise his level of play in the postseason, more often than not.  Just last season was an outlier for him.

2.  He used to be a pure goalscorer lol.  I found that interesting and I'm curious what will happen with different linemates.

So between Huberdeau and Weegar, yeah I think we would have more playoff success now.   

Regular-season wise, imho we are still weaker.   Nevertheless I do feel much better after this signing.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

And Markstrom. JG couldn't be our MVP last year because Markstrom split the vote. Peeps wanna run him down for his last 5 games, but we weren't there in the first place without him.

For a guy that had as many shutouts, you would think he would have run away with the Vezina.

I think the key is to find the sweet spot for starts and stick to it.

You want a long playoff run, don't burn him out on the lesser games.

Many bad things happened in the Oilers series.

Not the least of them was scoring drying up and the defensive game going out the window.

Otter got into our heads and we decide that river hockey is a good thing for round 2.

34 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

There are two ways to look at this signing:

1. BT desperate to win his trade.

2. The Flames needed to make a statement that superstars are willing to commit to Calgary long term.

Ya it's a huge gamble paying any player $10.5-mil until 38-years-old especially in Huberdeau's case since we don't know if he will fit into the team's play style.  Maybe no chemistry with his new teammates.  Lots of things are unknown unlike Gaudreau or Tkachuk who are known to us.

For me, I like the statement but I don't like this smelling like BT wants to turn a negative into a positive by reaching to this extent.  It hurts the Flames long term.