2022 Calgary Flames Playoff Thread

The_People1

28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That entire Backlund line couldn't get anything going.  Yet, we didn't make any adjustments.

I wouldn't blame the top line because they're mostly getting it done with lots of chances every game.  Our 4th line has been pretty good as well.  That middle six can't find any offense.  Maybe Stone will help our PP.  Maybe Ruzicka could make a difference in this series with his size.  Those two are options.

3 games should be enough.  The top line really is only Gaudreau and Lindholm making anything happen.  But the 2nd line is messed up.  Top goal scorers on the team are playing with a defensive C that doesn't seem to keen on kicking it up a notch.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

3 games should be enough.  The top line really is only Gaudreau and Lindholm making anything happen.  But the 2nd line is messed up.  Top goal scorers on the team are playing with a defensive C that doesn't seem to keen on kicking it up a notch.

Sutter was critical of Backlund's offense earlier in the season only to not do anything about it.  Should just keep Backlund on the 3rd line where he excels.  If Sutter wants to keep Mange-Toffoli together then at least give them a Center who can drive play and pass.

Mangiapane - Dube - Toffoli

Coleman - Backlund - Jarnkrok

At this point, it's doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Sutter was critical of Backlund's offense earlier in the season only to not do anything about it.  Should just keep Backlund on the 3rd line where he excels.  If Sutter wants to keep Mange-Toffoli together then at least give them a Center who can drive play and pass.

Mangiapane - Dube - Toffoli

Coleman - Backlund - Jarnkrok

At this point, it's doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

It isn't even doing the same thing over and over that bothers me.

It's doing the same thing while seeing the team play their worst offensive hockey in weeks.

If any of the games were really solid 2 way games, then you might think there is a chance.

None were games you pin to the boards and say, "we did that 100% correctly".

Thought I'd check in and see how the panic was  coming 🤣

But seriously.. through 3 games i see definitely no lack of effort .but rather the Stars having answers for wha we do..

Their goalie sees everything 

Tkachuk is too concerned with Klingberg..needs to start falling on goalies and get more involved in the crease

let Lucic and Gubrandson take care of Klingberg ..he won't be so brave anymore 

Toffoli is left to basically try and generate offense on his own --need to swap Tkachuk and Toffoli 

On nearly every Pavelski goal the dman (yesterday was Hanifin twice ) has his back to him ..he needs a shadow to stick to him like glue 

Sutter is right. Johnny needs to bury breakaways .. I'm not seeing the disappearing Johnny of years past, he's in the game and generating chances .. but he needs to bury them 

This goalie is not even breaking a sweat ..need to be In his grill constantly..fall on him a couple times ..jam the net .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

But seriously.. through 3 games i see definitely no lack of effort .but rather the Stars having answers for wha we do..

Tkachuk is too concerned with Klingberg..needs to start falling on goalies and get more involved in the crease

Toffoli is left to basically try and generate offense on his own --need to swap Tkachuk and Toffoli 

On nearly every Pavelski goal the dman (yesterday was Hanifin twice ) has his back to him ..he needs a shadow to stick to him like glue 

Sutter is right. Johnny needs to bury breakaways .. I'm not seeing the disappearing Johnny of years past, he's in the game and generating chances .. but he needs to bury them 

This goalie is not even breaking a sweat ..need to be In his grill constantly..fall on him a couple times ..jam the net .

I never panick, even when it's down the final minute.  I sweat like a pig in that situation, though.

I can't figure out how we managed to collide twice with the goalie pulled.  That was weird.

For sure Johnny needed to bury that chance.  I thought he had time to pick his spot, but it came off his stick funny.  Never seen him go low pads on a shot.  

Sutter mentioned the slashing penalty as being "who the slash was on" as being the reason for it.  It's a penalty regular season 60% of the time.  In the playoffs 40%.  He wasn't exactly callingout the refs, but getting a dig in.

The after whistle stuff is wearing on Sutter.  Enough already.  Push if you want, but stop scrapping to the point where a ref calls it.  Stars scored on one of the 4v4 situations, while we did not.  

Time for a bit of a blender.  Sutter suggests that it's close games and one comes out with the win, but we shouldn't be that close.  We have more gears the 4WL.  On 3 on 2's, we go in with the puck on the wing and never get it to any other player.  No D activated, no support for the puck carrier, so it's grind it out on the boards.  

Doubtful we see much change.  Stone isn't coming in for this type of game, even though he adds grit.  Grit isn't the problem.  Kylington made several deft takeaways and blocking out players.  They might just roll Toffoli on the top line to see something different, since Tkachuk is taking zero shots on net.  Try him out on the old MMA line.  Leaves you Dube, Coleman and Jarnkrok.  Have Dube as a C option or play RW.  Let Jarny take the draw then switch spots.  Dube can stay at C if he's winning most draws.

24 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

and for the most part, Dallas is sticking to every player like glue. The difference is that Dallas is aware of where everyone is on the ice which has clogged up play, forcing terrible passes and shots. Although game three has opened up a bit. I agree that the effort is there. It’s not like I’m the two previous playoffs where they were standing around and watching.

i think that could be a good swap, Toffoli for Tkachuk. You’re right Tkachuk needs to play hockey and there were overlap with backs with him last night. They still have a bit of chemistry so it’s not like a full blender situation… they go back to the big line later and the get a jump. 

The effort is fine but the execution isn’t very good and the composure is worse. For a team that was so strong I’m both of those areas during the season that is where the disappointment is coming from for me. They are also trending down. I liked a lot of what they did in game 1 and I think they lose a little more every game. 

that’s where the comparison to previous playoffs is for me. Getting pulled away from their game and not adjusting as they as good or respond to other teams adjustments. And of course the theme of the flames best player not being their best players, or being out played by the other teams best players is continuing as well.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The effort is fine but the execution isn’t very good and the composure is worse. For a team that was so strong I’m both of those areas during the season that is where the disappointment is coming from for me. They are also trending down. I liked a lot of what they did in game 1 and I think they lose a little more every game. 

that’s where the comparison to previous playoffs is for me. Getting pulled away from their game and not adjusting as they as good or respond to other teams adjustments. And of course the theme of the flames best player not being their best players, or being out played by the other teams best players is continuing as well.  

I agree with most of what you have stated. The 3rd goal was Anderson not Hanifin, the Second goal was Jarnkro lost coverage. The top line of the Flames has been fine, They have 2 out of the 3 goals in this series. What concerns me is that Toffoli. Mags, Dube. Backlund, Jarnkro and Coleman are invisible. Kylington looks over his head, Hanifin is just a tire fire most nightsa and Tanev looks average, Zadorov and Gubrannson could make a statement but have not with physical play. This club has yet to adjust to what Dallas is doing, they send 2 players in on the forecheck yet we have zero support for breakouts, there are so many oppurtunities for odd man rushes but our D can get the puck out or its bobbled and fumbled by the forwards. Plays like JG at the end are open constanly in this series. The other issue is net front presance which even Sutter mentioned awhile back. The smaller players we have are ineffective to block out the stars forwards going to the net and we can't penetrate to get to the net. Your not scoring from the outside, unless its tipped. Their goal has given out glourious rebounds, which our players are out of position. 

The forward group nees to dig in and find away. Especially the middle 6, When Trevor Lewis is one of your top players last night you have major areas for concern. There needs to be a statement made in a physical play from Lucic, Rithie, Zado or Gubranson. IMHO a collesion or run the goalie a huge hit or a beat down from one of our bigger guys on one of their players, IMHO will sway this series. If not this club will be playing golf really soon. 

9 minutes ago, zima said:

So why hasn't Sutter changed the game plan and why are the players so ready to pack there bags? MrT and the rest can't walk the talk they say things but it is empty such a sad end to the season

we had a great season. They entertained us, played mostly good hockey. The playing field has levelled now though. Just because Dallas is a wildcard doesn’t mean they’re that far behind the Flames. Their first line equals ours, probably the rest of the roster too. They’ve at least tightened up their game and are playing mental tough hockey. 

they can still come back. The next game will be determine their  fate. I believe if we win the next one, we will win the series in 7. 

but they need to adjust. I think they need to stop trying to intimidate them. They’re trying for rough stuff away from the puck and Tkachuk is losing at his own game. They’ve gotten him off his game using his tactics.

we’ve lost Tkachuk for 10 minutes in the series due to him fighting. He’s trying to be iginla. 

time it for a time when we need a momentum shift. Early is too soon. 

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I never panick, even when it's down the final minute.  I sweat like a pig in that situation, though.

I can't figure out how we managed to collide twice with the goalie pulled.  That was weird.

For sure Johnny needed to bury that chance.  I thought he had time to pick his spot, but it came off his stick funny.  Never seen him go low pads on a shot.  

Sutter mentioned the slashing penalty as being "who the slash was on" as being the reason for it.  It's a penalty regular season 60% of the time.  In the playoffs 40%.  He wasn't exactly callingout the refs, but getting a dig in.

The after whistle stuff is wearing on Sutter.  Enough already.  Push if you want, but stop scrapping to the point where a ref calls it.  Stars scored on one of the 4v4 situations, while we did not.  

Time for a bit of a blender.  Sutter suggests that it's close games and one comes out with the win, but we shouldn't be that close.  We have more gears the 4WL.  On 3 on 2's, we go in with the puck on the wing and never get it to any other player.  No D activated, no support for the puck carrier, so it's grind it out on the boards.  

Doubtful we see much change.  Stone isn't coming in for this type of game, even though he adds grit.  Grit isn't the problem.  Kylington made several deft takeaways and blocking out players.  They might just roll Toffoli on the top line to see something different, since Tkachuk is taking zero shots on net.  Try him out on the old MMA line.  Leaves you Dube, Coleman and Jarnkrok.  Have Dube as a C option or play RW.  Let Jarny take the draw then switch spots.  Dube can stay at C if he's winning most draws.

I wouldn't mind seeing Stone in, just I don't have a clear choice on who he'd replace .

The biggest factor in this series so far has been the power play.. 1/11 I think they said at one point .

That goalie it seems is never out of position so the usual crisp fast passing plays aren't cutting it .. we need a cannon or 2 from the point like Stone does well .. and a cluster of people going for the rebounds in the scrum. 2 of our goals have come on screened shots from Lindholm and a barely legal goalie bump .. if nothing else changes , if we can get the pp clicking we win this series 

44 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Stone in, just I don't have a clear choice on who he'd replace .

The biggest factor in this series so far has been the power play.. 1/11 I think they said at one point .

That goalie it seems is never out of position so the usual crisp fast passing plays aren't cutting it .. we need a cannon or 2 from the point like Stone does well .. and a cluster of people going for the rebounds in the scrum. 2 of our goals have come on screened shots from Lindholm and a barely legal goalie bump .. if nothing else changes , if we can get the pp clicking we win this series 

I think both Lindy goals were quick strike, nobody near him.

I hear what you are saying and maybe we play 7D and double shift a forward with Lucic and Lewis.

Other than losing coverage, there is no D I would take out.

They have played well covering the Stars.

2 tipped goals, which means that none of the big 2D are getting anything threatening through.

Stone would be hard pressed to beat the goalie as well.

But, I don't really want to overthink an otherwise tight game where we haven't seen a typical Flames team play.  

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think both Lindy goals were quick strike, nobody near him.

I hear what you are saying and maybe we play 7D and double shift a forward with Lucic and Lewis.

Other than losing coverage, there is no D I would take out.

They have played well covering the Stars.

2 tipped goals, which means that none of the big 2D are getting anything threatening through.

Stone would be hard pressed to beat the goalie as well.

But, I don't really want to overthink an otherwise tight game where we haven't seen a typical Flames team play.  

i actually think the fact we haven’t seen “a typical Flames play” should be reason to be concerned since it has been 3 games. And if it is changing what they did in the regular season, then it is concerning. 

i really think we win the next one it’ll get us rolling. Although, I feel like both Benn and Seguin have looked more engaging than anyone in our middle 6 and that’s also a concern. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

i actually think the fact we haven’t seen “a typical Flames play” should be reason to be concerned since it has been 3 games. And if it is changing what they did in the regular season, then it is concerning. 

i really think we win the next one it’ll get us rolling. Although, I feel like both Benn and Seguin have looked more engaging than anyone in our middle 6 and that’s also a concern. 

That reality is starting to set in..the regular season Flames may have peaked, there isn’t that next gear that elevates their level of play. They may have been built for the playoffs but they aren’t a team that performs in the playoffs. 

Primary concern with that is next game we have too many players trying to do too much..which can lead to even more bad penalties. End of the day they don’t need to make drastic changes , they just need to start getting goals on the power play and burying the chances. That’s been the difference this series.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rickross said:

That reality is starting to set in..the regular season Flames may have peaked, there isn’t that next gear that elevates their level of play. They may have been built for the playoffs but they aren’t a team that performs in the playoffs. 

Primary concern with that is next game we have too many players trying to do too much..which can lead to even more bad penalties. End of the day they don’t need to make drastic changes , they just need to start getting goals on the power play and burying the chances. That’s been the difference this series.  

yup!

like cross said, need to play “our game.” 

I feel like they’re playing to Dallas. It’s a bit of a concern because even in games we won in the regular season they played to the opponents. I’ve heard  a lot of talk about being able to play different styles of games or up to any opponents. To me, play your game and make them adjust. Be energy, but good energy. 

they started good last game but like you said, the pp needed some scoring. It’s a different game if we score on one of the first few PPs. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Interesting development from game 3.

Benn fined $5k for high stick on Mangiapane, but no penalty was even called.

Yet, he gets away with the slew foot on Tanev (also not called) and no discipline.

When I saw this live I was wondering why a penalty wasn't called.  Refs totally missed it.  But then I remember Tkachuk shoved Klingberg from behind and Klingberg almost broke his leg sliding into the boards.  So it's kind of even.

Tanev though... he's playing hurt again I think.  He's taken a couple high hits and was shaken up.  These cheapshots don't help for sure.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We are lucky we are not down 3-0 to be honest.

I don't think this is fair and you can make the same argument for Dallas.

I don't like some of what the Flames are doing, and I don't think they are playing to their full potential but Dallas is playing the best hockey they can (IMO) and the Flame are a bounce away from being up 2-1 or 3-0 themselves. Speaks to how close the series is. 

24 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't think this is fair and you can make the same argument for Dallas.

I don't like some of what the Flames are doing, and I don't think they are playing to their full potential but Dallas is playing the best hockey they can (IMO) and the Flame are a bounce away from being up 2-1 or 3-0 themselves. Speaks to how close the series is. 

Fair assessment.  They have as good a PK as us during the series.

No team is really dominating on the scoresheet.

We hit the post way too many times.

The last game, Kylington's postie hits Otter in the back of the pads and stick to his equipment.

I hate that we have played to the point of a bad bounce or misplay costing the games.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I hate that we have played to the point of a bad bounce or misplay costing the games.

That's the kicker right there. Need that extra inch, that extra pound of flesh, that extra effort... hoping for that tonight. GFG

Was hyped all year by a fantastic regular season by the Flames and what was looking like the prospect of a deep playoff run. Now…here we are. Lose today and our season is essentially over, yet another potential 1st rd series loss. I’m just going to watch the game unfold. No pre game hype, just anticipating a different Flames team tonight. Im expecting us to get a big W tonight but I’m also prepared for the potential funeral on the season. 

• Like 1

Interesting practice lines today:

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk

Ritchie-Backlund-Toffoli

Dube-Jarnkrok-Coleman

Lucic-Lewis-Mangiapane

I don't know if this is Sutter games for the media or a real choice.

Mangiapane can create anywhere, but Dube is better on RW with Lucic.

Or even Dube on LW with Toffee.

But, what do I know. 

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Interesting practice lines today:

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk

Ritchie-Backlund-Toffoli

Dube-Jarnkrok-Coleman

Lucic-Lewis-Mangiapane

I don't know if this is Sutter games for the media or a real choice.

Mangiapane can create anywhere, but Dube is better on RW with Lucic.

Or even Dube on LW with Toffee.

But, what do I know. 

Yikes...... Definetly not the way i'd go. 

Message to Backs-toffoli I think and try to get them a more physical presence on the line but someone who still isn't a liability defensively. 

Lewis was all over the ice in Game 3. Get him and Lucic to forecheck and hopefully open up some ice for Mang. 

That's my logic anyway. Still don't like it.