2022 Calgary Flames Playoff Thread

The_People1

12 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i should have picked Perron, I had a sneaky feeling he is playoff grit. 

Chose the two up North because even if they lose the series they probably get 15 points each .

If he's on a team that goes to the SCF, he will be near the top.

I watched most (all) of the Oilers game, mostly with the sound off.

I do that because of the annoying talking heads.

The Oilers were brutal.

Barely won a period and 2/3 of their scoring was dubious PP's.

Watched them in one sequence where McD picked two Kings players to allow the Oilers to advance on the net.

Yet they found enough to call 8 penalties.

I saw 8 others that were more obvious.

Seems to me that the standards are not league wide.

Typical of round 1.

Not sure what to expect in game 1, but I also don't think it will be the same standards each game.

Sometimes not even in the same game.

If the Oilers think they can play regular season style, with stretching out the ice and highlight reel goals, the series won't last.

The Kings reminded me of how structured they are in games.

Will be a good test for us if we both make it to the 2nd round.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

And they never do. Almost like Smith has an intimidation factor that really isn't good for anyone these days. I played goal at fairly high levels. If I ever thought to chew out my dmen for goals against I literally would have been behind the arena in a fight afterwards. That Satoshi Nakamoto just does not fly. I have no idea how it does for him.

I don't think he's a bad goalie, but christ the Satoshi Nakamoto that comes with him can be toxic. I get the competitive thing, but you also need to be positive with your teammates. He always seems to be blaming. The attitude sucks. Remember with us Neal ripped on him? He puts everyone on edge in the wrong way imho.

He's a good goalie, but damn...

Even just in the playoffs. I mean I hate it all the time because I think the risk far outweighs the reward but in the playoffs why bother? Every goal against is such a killer in the playoffs it just makes no sense to me what coaches are allowing that style of play. It's a fair point to bring up someone like Favre in the sense of this has always been Smith so how do you just get him to stop but at some point enough is enough. 

But Smith is probably my least favorite goalie of all time so I am biased

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Even just in the playoffs. I mean I hate it all the time because I think the risk far outweighs the reward but in the playoffs why bother? Every goal against is such a killer in the playoffs it just makes no sense to me what coaches are allowing that style of play. It's a fair point to bring up someone like Favre in the sense of this has always been Smith so how do you just get him to stop but at some point enough is enough. 

But Smith is probably my least favorite goalie of all time so I am biased

You just know that if the Kings were down by one and had pulled the goalie, his eyes would light up seeing the open cage 200 feet away.  Tunnel vision.  It's what burned him last night.  The only safe way to make that play is to lob it.  But, I don't even see that working because it takes away the speed of Draisaitl standing at the opposing blueline.  

Smith comes off as less than a team guy and more of one man vs the world.  He wants to make the difference.  Stick to the blue paint.  Nobody cares if you get the A, they want the W.

As expected, zero change to the normal Sutter lines and pairings:

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk

Mangiapane - Backlund - Toffoli

Dube - Jarnkrok - Coleman

Lucic - Lewis - Ritchie

Hanifin - Andersson

Kylington - Tanev

Zadorov - Gudbranson

Markstrom

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

You just know that if the Kings were down by one and had pulled the goalie, his eyes would light up seeing the open cage 200 feet away.  Tunnel vision.  It's what burned him last night.  The only safe way to make that play is to lob it.  But, I don't even see that working because it takes away the speed of Draisaitl standing at the opposing blueline.  

Smith comes off as less than a team guy and more of one man vs the world.  He wants to make the difference.  Stick to the blue paint.  Nobody cares if you get the A, they want the W.

💯 Your post matches my thoughts of Smith on all counts TD!

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

Pretty crazy to me that after all this evidence and all the goals against caused that a coach wouldn't simply pull Smith aside as say "don't do that". 

As a vet, Smith needs to understand the situation.  If they were down 3-1 halfway to go in the third, yes try whatever breakaway pass.  Take a chance.  Go for it.  In a 3-3 game, you have to play safe.  Don't make that pass straight up the middle of the ice.  It's a risky play.

2 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

💯 Your post matches my thoughts of Smith on all counts TD!

I was so sick of his antics when he was here.  Not that I like EDM or think they deserve better, but they at least deserve a better GM.  I think the problem goes deeper.  Perhaps it's the team and coach just letting Smith decide how he plays the puck.  Or perhaps they don't do any analysis on how it impacts the team.  All I ever see is Jay W. looking for a challenge opportunity on his I-pad.  Perhaps he talks about the play during TV time outs.  Doubt it.

19 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I'm guilty of going off topic with the discussions, but could we get a separate NHL playoff thread and save this one for discussing the good guys

Done.

We can reserve the Flames one for Flames opinions and the GDT's for the in game/post game discussion.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

As a vet, Smith needs to understand the situation.  If they were down 3-1 halfway to go in the third, yes try whatever breakaway pass.  Take a chance.  Go for it.  In a 3-3 game, you have to play safe.  Don't make that pass straight up the middle of the ice.  It's a risky play.

a straight up the middle pass is almost never ok by anyone in hockey. If a player made that pass he would be eyeballs all over them for the rest of the game. He probably is angry with the D’s and F’s for not giving him options.

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

a straight up the middle pass is almost never ok by anyone in hockey. If a player made that pass he would be eyeballs all over them for the rest of the game. He probably is angry with the D’s and F’s for not giving him options.

Not to continue the discussion in a Flames thread, but....

Here is what Smith had for options.  He's looking at Keith and has a D on the other side.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Here is what Smith had for options.  He's looking at Keith and has a D on the other side.

Bouchard seems like a good choice, but hindsight is 20/20, lol. 

6 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

Bouchard seems like a good choice, but hindsight is 20/20, lol. 

Keith was facing him with his stick on the ice.

On his frickin forehand.

I prefer to see the Kings take down the Oilers.

Just for picking up Kane.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

i was being sarcastic at the end… knowing he likes to find ways to

ppage blame.

I honestly think players just are or aren’t playoff performers. I don’t like the “experience” excuse. You either play good in that situation or you don’t. But if a player is underdeveloped then that is the only way I can see experience hindering them. Bennett didn’t need experience to get up for the playoffs. 

glad we have added some proven guys who’ve done it before.

12 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I honestly think players just are or aren’t playoff performers. I don’t like the “experience” excuse. You either play good in that situation or you don’t. But if a player is underdeveloped then that is the only way I can see experience hindering them. Bennett didn’t need experience to get up for the playoffs. 

glad we have added some proven guys who’ve done it before.

I agree to an extent. There’s always ‘tweeners that need some external motivator to step up. As an example, I believe Gaudreau is one of those. This year he’s insulated by a VERY supportive team, including the likes of Looch and company, and I think he’ll elevate his play as a result. What gave me that impression was the game against NSH when he was behind the net and pulled some fake punches on the defender that took him down earlier. Never in my life did I imagine seeing Johnny do stuff like that. 

11 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

I agree to an extent. There’s always ‘tweeners that need some external motivator to step up. As an example, I believe Gaudreau is one of those. This year he’s insulated by a VERY supportive team, including the likes of Looch and company, and I think he’ll elevate his play as a result. What gave me that impression was the game against NSH when he was behind the net and pulled some fake punches on the defender that took him down earlier. Never in my life did I imagine seeing Johnny do stuff like that. 

i don’t blame him for the other playoffs. I blame his line mates and coaches. To

me he was always hindered by Monahan. Once the opposition figured that out the Flames didn’t get them to do anything different or change their looks up , lineal mates or adding another guy that could play. 

so to me it boiled down to coaching. I will always be one of the only ones that wanted Monahan away from Gaudreau. I always felt if he had mobile guys around him he’d get it done. We will see this year. I was worried he’d leave and dominate with another team who’d know how to use him.

what coach, and how many of us fans would just let the Johnny button hook at the blue line continue without suggesting he do something else? Didn’t we think it was obviously not working, and that his line gave him no other options?

• Like 1