2022 Calgary Flames Playoff Thread

The_People1

Be interesting to see if they try or Bowness tires to put a lid on that. I don't think Dallas is built to play that style of game they need to stay patient so if they want to "come after" guys and get away from their game I think that favors the Flames. 

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Be interesting to see if they try or Bowness tires to put a lid on that. I don't think Dallas is built to play that style of game they need to stay patient so if they want to "come after" guys and get away from their game I think that favors the Flames. 

What's really interesting is that neither player knew the ridiculous ejection rule.

55 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

In other series in years past I believe guys were suspended for comments like that? Because now any attack on Anderson is pre meditated or organized, and the league has gotten away from that after some scary moments from history.

I don't really remember too many incidents of suspensions over comments, the league is okay with threats to other players its just mean words about officials in the press that the league doesn't like.  I thought there were a few directed at Tkachuk in the Winnipeg bubble series and nothing really happened.  Its nothing but a scare tactic to get in his head, the stakes are too high for Dallas to be taking undisciplined penalties.

4 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I don't really remember too many incidents of suspensions over comments, the league is okay with threats to other players its just mean words about officials in the press that the league doesn't like.  I thought there were a few directed at Tkachuk in the Winnipeg bubble series and nothing really happened.  Its nothing but a scare tactic to get in his head, the stakes are too high for Dallas to be taking undisciplined penalties.

The team dismissed it.  If they come after any player, there will be a response.  It's what we do.

NAS tried it, but it didn't work out for them.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

What is Klingberg doing? JFC man, bad strategy. Tkachuk said it. This is a pack mentality You're going to get yourself killed for that yap.

Klingberg tried to fight to stand up for himself but he couldn't land a single punch on Andersson.  Now he's trying to punch with words.  He's scared.  That's all there is to it.

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Klingberg tried to fight to stand up for himself but he couldn't land a single punch on Andersson.  Now he's trying to punch with words.  He's scared.  That's all there is to it.

He has no reason to be scared.  He wasn't targeted by anything other than being a D on the boards.

He wanted the fight, and Andersson didn't want Coleman to be the guy to beat him down.

A smart coach wouldn't let him near the media.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

He has no reason to be scared.  He wasn't targeted by anything other than being a D on the boards.

He wanted the fight, and Andersson didn't want Coleman to be the guy to beat him down.

A smart coach wouldn't let him near the media.

Oh yes he does. We are a heavy team, their dmen are gonna get hit hard and often. There will be a lot of scrums imo. Dallas is going to get seriously frustrated.

You came to mitigate their top line, they came to beat you down and keep that line fresh. And they brought a goalie.

"Do the same thing back to them". Ummm, they have a lot more size on D.

We are intimidating. If I was everyone in this league, I'd be scared.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Oh yes he does. We are a heavy team, their dmen are gonna get hit hard and often. There will be a lot of scrums imo. Dallas is going to get seriously frustrated.

You came to mitigate their top line, they came to beat you down and keep that line fresh. And they brought a goalie.

I mean we aren't going out of our way to fight him.

Ras won't be fighting him.

Will Tkachuk target him?

For sure.

Him and everyone else.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I agree, outside of Benn as far as sheer size on forward who can come in to our end and really be a force on our d men? That being said, Benn seemingly was playing a little cautious with the heavy weights, probably knows the fear of waking up some of those beasts back there. To me it seems like Looch, Zad, Guddy are basically like policemen out there. They rarely jump in, but everyone behaves themselves a bit more when there around. I anxiously await Zaddy actually getting a hold of someone.

1 hour ago, pikey7883 said:

I agree, outside of Benn as far as sheer size on forward who can come in to our end and really be a force on our d men? That being said, Benn seemingly was playing a little cautious with the heavy weights, probably knows the fear of waking up some of those beasts back there. To me it seems like Looch, Zad, Guddy are basically like policemen out there. They rarely jump in, but everyone behaves themselves a bit more when there around. I anxiously await Zaddy actually getting a hold of someone.

I almost expect Zaddy to drop em with Klingberg.

Ignite the torch.

Naw, no point.

Beat em everywhere else.

The guy is a little Swede even Backlund could handle.

Zaddy is saving up for a tilt against COL or Minny.

Won't waste his time against EDM or LA (since they don't really scrap).

I'm going to say something unpopular, but I've thought about it and in this type of series you have to adjust your weaponry for the opponent. Aside from the changes to the forward lines we're all calling for (Toffoli/Backlund) 

Bring in STONE, sit Kyller.

Want an adjustment on the PP?

STONE

Want someone with a shoot-first mentality to create havoc in the offensive zone 5 on 5?

STONE

Want a bigger body on the backend to pin Dallas players to the boards and interrupt the cycle?

STONE

When Andersson was ejected in game 1, Kyller was the least used D man. Do we really need Kyller's speed in this series? NO. 

If Dallas wants to clog up the middle of the ice and block shots, make them try to block his. I want Michael Stone in for Game 3. 

cut.jpg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

I'm going to say something unpopular, but I've thought about it and in this type of series you have to adjust your weaponry for the opponent. Aside from the changes to the forward lines we're all calling for (Toffoli/Backlund) 

STONE

Want someone with a shoot-first mentality to create havoc in the offensive zone 5 on 5?

STONE

Want a bigger body on the backend to pin Dallas players to the boards and interrupt the cycle?

STONE

When Andersson was ejected in game 1, Kyller was the least used D man. Do we really need Kyller's speed in this series? NO. 

If Dallas wants to clog up the middle of the ice and block shots, make them try to block his. I want Michael Stone in for Game 3. 

cut.jpg

Not unpopular at all. Blast rockets, let them block them, blast rockets, let them block them, blast rockets. This is indeed how instill fear. They will get nervous, or be carrying a lot of bruises, likely both. Shea Weber's whole career.lol

52 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Not unpopular at all. Blast rockets, let them block them, blast rockets, let them block them, blast rockets. This is indeed how instill fear. They will get nervous, or be carrying a lot of bruises, likely both. Shea Weber's whole career.lol

That's the idea. A bomb from the point is a great threat to add, and I think he gives us an advantage over Kyller's game style. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LouCifer said:

STONE

STONE

STONE

cut.jpg

I don't know that Kyler is the problem.

Defense - Stone is a RD and messes with the pairs.  Kyler is a better defense for sticking to a player, or else you have Robertson or Hintz breaking out of coverage and sniping it.  

Offense - I didn't like the decisions of Kyler or Hanifin with shot placement.  That was obvious from JH and Toffee's reactions on the ice. 

The team has one EV goal scored with the goalie in.  The EN goal was a total misread by Hanifin.  2 other left D-men don't let that get past them.  He played as if there was a goalie behind him and it was just a PP. 

You want to score a goal?  Get to the middle.  It doesn't matter if a bomb comes from the point, if there is not F in the slot.  It was a sleepy game, but did Tkachuk get in the crease area much?  I don't recall him being there.    

49 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Defense - Stone is a RD and messes with the pairs.  Kyler is a better defense for sticking to a player, or else you have Robertson or Hintz breaking out of coverage and sniping it.  

Offense - I didn't like the decisions of Kyler or Hanifin with shot placement.  That was obvious from JH and Toffee's reactions on the ice. 

The team has one EV goal scored with the goalie in.  The EN goal was a total misread by Hanifin.  2 other left D-men don't let that get past them.  He played as if there was a goalie behind him and it was just a PP. 

You want to score a goal?  Get to the middle.  It doesn't matter if a bomb comes from the point, if there is not F in the slot.  It was a sleepy game, but did Tkachuk get in the crease area much?  I don't recall him being there.    

i haven’t liked any of the shot placement by anyone, but I get that pointing out them makes sense in those situations. The Flames on those two occasions had bodies in the zone and options, but not set up in front of the net to make it difficult. Basically Ottinger only had to play like a back catcher. Had to catch the pitch or get in front of anything that can his way with no threats. That is in both games. Like you said, get to the middle. Move the puck faster. 

37 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i haven’t liked any of the shot placement by anyone, but I get that pointing out them makes sense in those situations. The Flames on those two occasions had bodies in the zone and options, but not set up in front of the net to make it difficult. Basically Ottinger only had to play like a back catcher. Had to catch the pitch or get in front of anything that can his way with no threats. That is in both games. Like you said, get to the middle. Move the puck faster. 

The lanes were blocked out, so there were only clogged lanes available.  Either a layer of players available to block the shot or a clear shot with no traffic.  JH was pointing out the placement of the shot was too low for the velocity, I think.  Toffoli had pushed off the crowd and was clear in the high slot.  No pass went his way, just a muffin on the net.

We don't have elite shooters on the backend, so I'm not expecting the perfect shot.  But there was almost nothing from the 3rd pairing in that respect.  We also had very little activation from the D.  The odd time, they would come in low.  Very seldom.  Hanifin's play on the EN showed a very conservative play where you already risked the open net.  6 guys out there and you play like there is no C backing you up.  Kylington would have gambled and I would have been happy with whatever result was there.  Same with Ras.  

The odd man rushes really got to me.  We go from a team that sometimes over passes to a team that just shoots.  Pretty easy to defend when you only have to worry about the shooter.  Tanev, Backlund, Toffoli are just three that did the exact same thing.

End of rant, but the only way to resolve this is to switch up the middle 6.  Tkachuk has to get more in the slot and stop just being on the boards.  Gaudreau needs to step in a little and take a shot.  The middle six is all messed up.  Jarnkrok is our 2nd best C.  Backlund is paired with two offensive weapons but only passes to them when they are covered.  

This is the biggest storyline for me so far. I understand the Flames top line not necessarily putting points on the board but they haven't even been a pace or momentum changer. Really under performing. 

I think the lack of flow and lack of consistently 5 on 5 is a reason but at the same time can't be an excuse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not blaming anything on Kyller. I think the team is better served, and Dallas is worse off, with Stone in the lineup. Dallas doesn't play with speed. If anything, Stone does a much better job of pinning players to the boards than Kyller does. I hear you about the right-shot angle, but what did Stone do for us in those games he came in for Gudbranson? Nothing but score and be good defensively. I'm one of the people here that has been crying for Kyller to get into the lineup - I'm a fan! But, in this series, I think Michael Stone's game is more suitable. Do flames forwards have to get to the front of the net? Yes. That doesn't change and I've been saying the same thing. However, having that shot from the point will help regardless if forwards start going to the hard areas or if we continue to play on the perimeter. It's a team game, I'm in no way saying one player is going to fix anything we've seen thus far, I'm just saying we have a card up our sleeve that may make Dallas a little more hesitant to get in lanes. And if that happens, not only is Stone's shot a threat, but now passing lanes become available that haven't been there thus far. When shooting arrows at a fortress isn't working, it's logical to up the artillery in the assault, no?  

Henry Cavill Witcher GIF by NETFLIX

And yes, the middle six needs to change. I might even go so far as reuniting Mange-Backs-Chucky and adjust L1 and L3 as well. But Middle 6 first. 

5 hours ago, LouCifer said:

STONE

STONE

STONE

cut.jpg

In regards to the item you bolded. I dont necessarily disagree with you but I think big Z has just as much of a cannon as Stone.  With a longer reach and a little more mobility, Just have Zadorov start firing bombs into the shot blockers and dont let Ottenger have a clear sight.

8 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

I'm not blaming anything on Kyller. I think the team is better served, and Dallas is worse off, with Stone in the lineup. Dallas doesn't play with speed. If anything, Stone does a much better job of pinning players to the boards than Kyller does. I hear you about the right-shot angle, but what did Stone do for us in those games he came in for Gudbranson? Nothing but score and be good defensively. I'm one of the people here that has been crying for Kyller to get into the lineup - I'm a fan! But, in this series, I think Michael Stone's game is more suitable. Do flames forwards have to get to the front of the net? Yes. That doesn't change and I've been saying the same thing. However, having that shot from the point will help regardless if forwards start going to the hard areas or if we continue to play on the perimeter. It's a team game, I'm in no way saying one player is going to fix anything we've seen thus far, I'm just saying we have a card up our sleeve that may make Dallas a little more hesitant to get in lanes. And if that happens, not only is Stone's shot a threat, but now passing lanes become available that haven't been there thus far. When shooting arrows at a fortress isn't working, it's logical to up the artillery in the assault, no? 

Stone in for Guddy is a different animal.  RD for RD.  That works.

I will be honest here.  We didn't lose because we didn't defend well or get a cannon shot off.

Yes, Stone has one of the  best shots on the team.

The tradeoff is that we lose a mobile defender and have to use Stone with Guddy.

This comes down to players that are there, not one in the stands.

You played a certain way all year and now decide you don't want to go to the hard areas.

We were more desperate to bet NAS than win a playoff game.

3 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

In regards to the item you bolded. I dont necessarily disagree with you but I think big Z has just as much of a cannon as Stone.  With a longer reach and a little more mobility, Just have Zadorov start firing bombs into the shot blockers and dont let Ottenger have a clear sight.

i also think Gudbranson has had some success taking point shots. I think we all have a bit of the formula that could work. 

Cross - get more cycling and get to the net 

Peeps and Travel and a few others - switch up the middle 6. I’d go so far as to say throw Tkachuk on a line with Backs and Mangiapane. Possibly get Mangiapane going. But revert back to the top line. Get some jump. Not for a 100% of the time: but I think Tkachuk will change Backlund’s game enough to make him effective again. 

Jarnkrok has been awesome but for some reason isn’t jiving with Dube at the moment. 

Gaudreau, Lindholm, Dube

Mangiapane, Backlund, Tkachuk

Coleman, Jarkrok, Toffoli

Lucic, Ruzicka, Lewis

again, not a full time change, just to get guys hopping again. Get a spark into the secondary guys.