2022 Calgary Flames Playoff Thread

The_People1

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

If he only focuses on that (which I doubt he would), he would miss a lot of subtle stuff.  For one thing, we are not just plan A.  We have plan B and C.  Sutter may be stubborn, but he also sees who's going out there.  And he adjusts to the game on the ice.  While the games were close, we smothered DAL with offence.  And I think that is key to shutting down the Oilers.  Keep McD defending for shifts.  Frustrate Kane with a bunch of little hits.  Target the D in their zone so they can't make simple plays.  

Sort of... but the Flames (like every team in the league) has a certain game they want to play. The Flames and Kings are tactically similar and approach the game in a similar way. It's not really a controversial statement. 

Doesn't mean that the Flames are not the better team, just means they are similarities in how they want to play the game. 

1 hour ago, taz89 said:

That's too bad, hopefully Tanev gets back in soon.  If the Flames play with the same intensity they did with Dallas, this will be a short series IMO, maybe a sweep.  No way Smith can handle what Oettinger did.

I’d love a sweep but thats likely a long shot. This series could be much closer than many ppl are pegging it to be. On paper , yes the Flames do check slot of the boxes in this series. Put when it comes to the playoffs what’s “on paper” doesn’t necessarily translate to on ice. I like the Flames chances here but I’m not one bit surprised if this series is just as hard fought as the Dallas one. I’m not even surprised if the Oilers take it to us tommorow, think it will a good wake up call if we are taking the Oilers lighter than we should be. 

27 minutes ago, rickross said:

I’d love a sweep but thats likely a long shot. This series could be much closer than many ppl are pegging it to be. On paper , yes the Flames do check slot of the boxes in this series. Put when it comes to the playoffs what’s “on paper” doesn’t necessarily translate to on ice. I like the Flames chances here but I’m not one bit surprised if this series is just as hard fought as the Dallas one. I’m not even surprised if the Oilers take it to us tommorow, think it will a good wake up call if we are taking the Oilers lighter than we should be. 

I doubt they will take them lightly, Sutter will see to that but yeah I get what you are saying, this team does have a history of not starting on time but hopefully they are over that now.  In past regular season games, Koskinen has faired much better against the Flames than Smith has.

24 minutes ago, taz89 said:

I doubt they will take them lightly, Sutter will see to that but yeah I get what you are saying, this team does have a history of not starting on time but hopefully they are over that now.  In past regular season games, Koskinen has faired much better against the Flames than Smith has.

I used to agree with that statement, but the Flames lead the league with scoring first.  

It was a little different in the playoffs, but not from being asleep.

The other thing is no give up.  Only 2 games in the playoffs have we scored first.    

Went on to win 2 where the other team scored first.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I used to agree with that statement, but the Flames lead the league with scoring first.  

It was a little different in the playoffs, but not from being asleep.

The other thing is no give up.  Only 2 games in the playoffs have we scored first.    

Went on to win 2 where the other team scored first.

Indeed. 2 major factors in this series will be who can stay out of the penalty box and who scores 1st. 

Personally I’m concerned with emotions running too high. Tkachuk is going to be egged the entire season into fighting. You can bet Evander Kane will be looking to score and fight any chance he gets. Oilers know we are a strong 5 on 5 team and they are not. Baiting us into taking penalties by using the emotion of the rivalry and by using their speed will 100% be their game plan. 

1 minute ago, rickross said:

Indeed. 2 major factors in this series will be who can stay out of the penalty box and who scores 1st. 

Personally I’m concerned with emotions running too high. Tkachuk is going to be egged the entire season into fighting. You can bet Evander Kane will be looking to score and fight any chance he gets. Oilers know we are a strong 5 on 5 team and they are not. Baiting us into taking penalties by using the emotion of the rivalry and by using their speed will 100% be their game plan. 

The Oilers would be wise not to turn this into a war.

I would think Tkachuk knows the strategic advantages of when to fight.

He's going to be as close to the edge as you can get.

He will instigate a lot of stuff, but won't take a useless fight.

Him vs Kassian is useless.

4th line grinder.

Kassian has to come through at least two other players first.

Kane?  Why bother.  Taking the fight would make him happy.

He wants to be the tough guy? 

There is a lineup in front of Tkachuk to settle the score.

3 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

I can just see the long list of injured Coilers after this series. (They will need excuses)

They are already starting.

No Draisaitl or Nuge or Kane for practice today.

Says Woody, they will all be in game 1.

No family related absences.

They also have called up most of the Bakersfield team to skate as Black Aces.

Good luck with that group.

Yamamoto/PoolParty-McDeke-Leona

Female’s Hyman-Nuge-CoKane

Poolparty/McLeod-Ryan-Fogele

The likely top 9 lineup Woody rolls with? Top 2 lines will require some teamwork but the depth really drops off from there. I’m not even gonna list their 4th line ..it’s Kassian and 2 other bags of pucks.  Oilers will send these lines at us relentlessly, big reason we need to stay out of the box is to keep our best defensive forwards from tiring out let alone keeping McDeke and Leona off the ice. Flames will be under pressure this series, just can’t find themselves getting out of position attempting to lay those big hits! If we pepper Smith with 50+ shots he’ll be injured by Game 1. They don’t trust Kost a Win in net either …not with this much pressure on! 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

From Oiler media, it sounds like they'll be playing 97 and 29 together, due to Draisaitl's injury.

If that's the case, the Flames really have to make hay when that line is off the ice. 

I know they are channeling Sutter, but Holland is saying everyone plays.

Woody says Leon is feeling good.

That's nice.

Play Leon with McD or don't.

It doesn't matter.

I suspect that they use 29-97 together with little Yammer on RW.

Allows them to mostly park Leon on the right circle.

He skates in the O-zone slower than Lucic, so just cover McD like glue.

Make him keep the puck on the wall and not allow him to get the pass off.

I've seen that movie before.

Drai curls back along the boards.

Gets to the blueline and passes to the D.

D gets it to McD.

Drai skates to the vircle.

Nuge used to be a biger threat, but he is getting destroyed out there.

Hyman goes to the net.

Kane waits for the pass.

The 3rd and 4th lines may have some speed.

Archi lays the body like Kassian.

Neither has puck smarts.

Foegele is just speed and no sense.

Pooly has zero puck sense.

Too bad, since he has a good shot and is a big body.

The D pairs are questionable.

Ceci has played well, Kulak one of their best.

Keith is not good most games.

Nurse is a boob and doesn't see the ice.

Barrie is a timebomb.

Bouchard hasn't learned how to play defense yet, mostly a forward that can skate backwards.

I am inspired by everyone's confidence. I do think that it's wise to not take the Oilers too lightly. A five game series would be nice, but the Flames will have their hands full with McDavid, and he will likely carry the Oilers to at least one win. In fact, he might carry them to two. If that's the case, the margin for error shrinks. He's going to show up, mark my words, and more than once we have seen him feast on the Flames.

That said, I think that we have a much better team, and we have the pieces to beat them handily, but it's not a free ride to the Conference Finals.

Love.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I am inspired by everyone's confidence. I do think that it's wise to not take the Oilers too lightly. A five game series would be nice, but the Flames will have their hands full with McDavid, and he will likely carry the Oilers to at least one win. In fact, he might carry them to two. If that's the case, the margin for error shrinks. He's going to show up, mark my words, and more than once we have seen him feast on the Flames.

That said, I think that we have a much better team, and we have the pieces to beat them handily, but it's not a free ride to the Conference Finals.

Love.

We are positive for sure.

I don't think anyone discounts them.

They beat a decent team.

We beat a decent team.

We haven't had to change the gameplan from day 1.

It's not always successful, but it uses concepts that work.

If we stay that course, then there should not be any letdown.

We don't need to ride 2 lines or rely on PP's.

It can work short term, but after a long season it wears down.

We have weak links, but they bring other things to the party.

2 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love.

Agreed! Definitely feeling positive about the series but definitely not writing the Oilers off. Personally I think the Oilers could very well take game 1, as annoying as that would be. They aren’t the same hapless Oilers of the last 2 decades. Flames will need to be ready to start and finish this game

We're going to destroy them.

It's fun playing, you've got, but we've got.lol

Up and down the roster.

We have counter-players for everything they have. In spades.

This will be a series of us pointing at the Avs or St Loo, saying, "You're Blockchaining next".

This is going to be fun.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

We're going to destroy them.

It's fun playing, you've got, but we've got.lol

Up and down the roster.

We have counter-players for everything they have. In spades.

This will be a series of us pointing at the Avs or St Loo, saying, "You're Blockchaining next".

This is going to be fun.

On paper though. We should crush them.

I think Gretz makes calls based on odds.  Would it bother me if it was the other way?  Naw.

Does it bother Oiler fans that "Oilers for Life" people don't drink kool ade?

Yes.

Spector predicts Flamesin less games.

Fans already hate him for speaking the truth.