2022 Calgary Flames Playoff Thread

The_People1

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I hope we don't underestimate the Oilers.  They've actually been an improved team since they added Kane.  Gave them a physical edge and allowed Draisaitl to play on McDavid's line full time.  They are also better coached now so they are going to be a tough out.

I agree. I'm not really concerned the Flames will underestimate them but I do think this will be a close series. Oilers are playing pretty good hockey under Woodcroft and the deadline acquisition of Kulak and the emergence of Bouchard has changed that d core. Still has it's weak links that can be exploited but I don't think it's quite the dumpster fire it was earlier in the season. They also defend less by pushing the puck the other way. Puck management and spacing in the d zone (specifically not forgetting about those trailing dman) is going to be huge for the Flames in order to win. 

But overall I do feel good about this match. Games 2-3 weren't great against Dallas but they found their game after that and it took one of the better goalie performances of all time (statistically speaking) to push that series to 7. Mike Smith has been pretty good in these playoffs but I don't think he's capable of that level of goaltending that Ottenger gave Dallas. If the Flames carry forward their 5 on 5 game they ended the series on I think the Oilers are going to be in tough, especially given how strong the Flames PK unit was been although that is going to be put to the test for sure. 

If the Flames can keep the games at 5 on 5 I actually can make a case they could end it quickly. Gonna be tough to do that though in what should be an emotional series. 

This will be a very tough series. 

The Flames have to manage their emotions. There will be lots of extra-curriculars. Play whistle to whistle.

McDavid is going to be dominant. If the Flames can limit the multiple point nights for him, that’ll go a long way.

The PP has to get going. The Flames PK is good, but we saw what the Oilers did in the 9-5 game. The PP is gonna need to contribute more than they did against Dallas.

Biggest edge for the Flames is in net and behind the bench IMO. 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I agree. I'm not really concerned the Flames will underestimate them but I do think this will be a close series. Oilers are playing pretty good hockey under Woodcroft and the deadline acquisition of Kulak and the emergence of Bouchard has changed that d core. Still has it's weak links that can be exploited but I don't think it's quite the dumpster fire it was earlier in the season. They also defend less by pushing the puck the other way. Puck management and spacing in the d zone (specifically not forgetting about those trailing dman) is going to be huge for the Flames in order to win. 

But overall I do feel good about this match. Games 2-3 weren't great against Dallas but they found their game after that and it took one of the better goalie performances of all time (statistically speaking) to push that series to 7. Mike Smith has been pretty good in these playoffs but I don't think he's capable of that level of goaltending that Ottenger gave Dallas. If the Flames carry forward their 5 on 5 game they ended the series on I think the Oilers are going to be in tough, especially given how strong the Flames PK unit was been although that is going to be put to the test for sure. 

If the Flames can keep the games at 5 on 5 I actually can make a case they could end it quickly. Gonna be tough to do that though in what should be an emotional series. 

Woodcroft is about to get seriously out-coached. Just can't see him keeping up.

Little doubt in my mind that Sutter is a huge Flames fan and despises the Oilers as much as the rest of us.

Roster-to-roster, I can't see the Oilers pass 6 games.

Is Kassian coming out to hit everything that moves like the Kings? He'll be injured by game 2.

Push the play North? Sure, we do that too, as a unit. Spread out the 20' passes like LA did, they'll be dead in their Oil slick.

I'm REALLY interested to see what Woodcroft has for a game plan.

5 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This will be a very tough series. 

The Flames have to manage their emotions. There will be lots of extra-curriculars. Play whistle to whistle.

McDavid is going to be dominant. If the Flames can limit the multiple point nights for him, that’ll go a long way.

The PP has to get going. The Flames PK is good, but we saw what the Oilers did in the 9-5 game. The PP is gonna need to contribute more than they did against Dallas.

Biggest edge for the Flames is in net and behind the bench IMO. 

And size, and D, and line-matching.

We're going to mop the floor with them.

What is wrong with you people?lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Woodcroft is about to get seriously out-coached. Just can't see him keeping up.

Little doubt in my mind that Sutter is a huge Flames fan and despises the Oilers as much as the rest of us.

Roster-to-roster, I can't see the Oilers pass 6 games.

Is Kassian coming out to hit everything that moves like the Kings? He'll be injured by game 2.

Push the play North? Sure, we do that too, as a unit. Spread out the 20' passes like LA did, they'll be dead in their Oil slick.

I'm REALLY interested to see what Woodcroft has for a game plan.

Here here.

Unfortunately, Woody went back to the Tippy plan.

Play McD 24 minutes and load up a line.

Kassian can only be dirty for so long.

And 40 foot passes only work some of the time.

The goto play was put it on McD's stick.  

Let him wind it up to full speed.

Don't see much of that in round 2.

51 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I hope we don't underestimate the Oilers.  They've actually been an improved team since they added Kane.  Gave them a physical edge and allowed Draisaitl to play on McDavid's line full time.  They are also better coached now so they are going to be a tough out.

Sutter pushed the agenda all year that the best teams in the division were Vegas and Edmonton and the best in the country were Toronto and Edmonton, he considered them the underdog in the Stars series due to recent success.  So I'm sure he'll push the underdog agenda again.  I don't know if I was blown away by the Oilers vs. the Kings, Kings were one of the lowest scoring teams in the playoffs, so take a team that struggles to score goals and subtract their best offensive defenseman and a 20 goal scorer, add in a mostly inexperienced blue line and inconsistent goalie.  We know why we went 7, why the hell did they go 7.

8 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Sutter pushed the agenda all year that the best teams in the division were Vegas and Edmonton and the best in the country were Toronto and Edmonton, he considered them the underdog in the Stars series due to recent success.  So I'm sure he'll push the underdog agenda again.  I don't know if I was blown away by the Oilers vs. the Kings, Kings were one of the lowest scoring teams in the playoffs, so take a team that struggles to score goals and subtract their best offensive defenseman and a 20 goal scorer, add in a mostly inexperienced blue line and inconsistent goalie.  We know why we went 7, why the hell did they go 7.

Out of likes.

But Blockchaining BINGO sak. Very well said.

We've learned (hopefully) from the DAL series that we cannot go out of our way to play physical.  We are a better team when we just focus on the X's and O's.  Keep the game 5-on-5.

This is especially true for Tkachuk.  When he's just playing hockey, the top line has flow.  When he's in the box and using his energy fighting, then our top line loses a weapon.  He needs to control his emotions and don't get sucked in by Kassian, Kane, or whoever.  It's not a good trade off.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We've learned (hopefully) from the DAL series that we cannot go out of our way to play physical.  We are a better team when we just focus on the X's and O's.  Keep the game 5-on-5.

This is especially true for Tkachuk.  When he's just playing hockey, the top line has flow.  When he's in the box and using his energy fighting, then our top line loses a weapon.  He needs to control his emotions and don't get sucked in by Kassian, Kane, or whoever.  It's not a good trade off.

I think he did a good job of that this year.

The Dallas series not withstanding.

He was a little wound up.

He calmed down as the series went on.

We can't stop playing Flames hockey though.

That includes crashing and banging on the boards.

Play between the whistles though. 

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Things they don't have:

Oettinger

Heiskanen

Klingberg

Lundell

Suter

Hakanpaa

We just overcame a stellar goalie and a really good D core.

2 things the Oilers don't have.

It's a complete 180.  DAL can defend but cannot score.  EDM can score but cannot defend.

On paper and in theory, we match up very well against EDM.  Classic case of an offensive team running into a wall and can't score.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Yes I'm expecting McDavid to single handedly steal at least one game.  And Mike Smith could steal a second.  Outside of that, the better team should be the Flames.

By all metrics, we have the better #1 line.  Better depth.  Better D.  Better G.  Better coaching.  This is a series I believe we will see Dube, Jarnkrok, Coleman, and Toffoli come alive and score some big goals.  They were really robbed by Oettinger.  Our depth forwards are way better than theirs and should put up some points.

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

I know what you mean.  I watched some of the Oilers/Kings series and was like, "boy the Kings are so average".  The Oilers drew the worst playoff team for round 1 and struggled.  Logic says, we should be able to handle them easily.

But we will see.  DAL was supposed to have been easy and yet it took us 7-games.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I’ve been traumatized many times seeing McDavid wind it up in the nz and blow past 4 Flames for a breakaway lol

The Tanev injury is key.  We need our best shutdown D against McDavid but I fear he's not 100%... which exposes us to McDavid highlight reels.

I think Tanev injured something in Game 1 when he took a hit from Benn into the glass.  He wasn't right all series to be honest.  

18 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The Tanev injury is key.  We need our best shutdown D against McDavid but I fear he's not 100%... which exposes us to McDavid highlight reels.

I think Tanev injured something in Game 1 when he took a hit from Benn into the glass.  He wasn't right all series to be honest.  

I've said it earlier, I think the 7 D was due to exacly that. Darryl said they looked tired. I think it was because Tanev was banged up

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Plus, they've been a thorn in the Flames side here and there this year and we got them when they had some injury problems, if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Yes I'm expecting McDavid to single handedly steal at least one game.  And Mike Smith could steal a second.  Outside of that, the better team should be the Flames.

By all metrics, we have the better #1 line.  Better depth.  Better D.  Better G.  Better coaching.  This is a series I believe we will see Dube, Jarnkrok, Coleman, and Toffoli come alive and score some big goals.  They were really robbed by Oettinger.  Our depth forwards are way better than theirs and should put up some points.

I know what you mean.  I watched some of the Oilers/Kings series and was like, "boy the Kings are so average".  The Oilers drew the worst playoff team for round 1 and struggled.  Logic says, we should be able to handle them easily.

But we will see.  DAL was supposed to have been easy and yet it took us 7-games.

Dallas looked like a good matchup for us, except we knew COL was the lucky team to face NAS in round 1.  That goal with 0.1 seconds remaining sealed the deal that we played DAL.  I'm not bitter about that, since it got us to the never we need to win in the playoffs.  I'm not even sure what to think about the Oilers having a harder time with the Kings.  They were on the brink for two games including game 7.  A tie game going late into the 3rd in game 6.  Scoreless until late 2nd in game 7.  

As far as dealing with the Oilers, it's likely either Andersson, Hanifin or Kylington that sticks to him like glue.  As far as defense that is.  The F that will face him the most are Lindy and Backlund.  They know how to frustrate McD.  The big X factor for the Oilers is the PP and how often they get to use it.  That and the relative health of Draisaitl.   

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Dallas looked like a good matchup for us, except we knew COL was the lucky team to face NAS in round 1.  That goal with 0.1 seconds remaining sealed the deal that we played DAL.  I'm not bitter about that, since it got us to the never we need to win in the playoffs.  I'm not even sure what to think about the Oilers having a harder time with the Kings.  They were on the brink for two games including game 7.  A tie game going late into the 3rd in game 6.  Scoreless until late 2nd in game 7.  

As far as dealing with the Oilers, it's likely either Andersson, Hanifin or Kylington that sticks to him like glue.  As far as defense that is.  The F that will face him the most are Lindy and Backlund.  They know how to frustrate McD.  The big X factor for the Oilers is the PP and how often they get to use it.  That and the relative health of Draisaitl.   

DAL was a really good learning experience.  Now that we won, we wouldn't trade the experience for anything.  We are so ready for the Oilers.

I think one of the game inside the game advantaged the flames should exploit is how hard they play Drai. He is supposedly dealing with some injury, and between Zad, Guddy, and Stone they need to punish him down low every chance they get. As dangerous as he is, he seems to get thrown off his game when things don’t go his way, and the flames need to exploit that. If him and Zaddy get into a pushing match and they both take two (fantastic trade off for us).

On the other hand, McD and Kane both seemed to thrive off of some adversity and push back, so for them, walk away, no push back at all. Disengage them as much as possible, so they misuse their energy trying to get themselves into the game. 
In the last series Kassian seemed to play whistle to whistle and I don’t think he is interested in throwing down with one of our bigs, so he will be targeting Tkachuk (guaranteed). Chucky needs to take a playbook from Benn and not engage him in the same way that Benn didn’t want to have anything to do with Zad or Looch  because it would’ve fired us up (Benn wasn’t going to give us the satisfaction of that), he also didn’t take any coincidentals against those guys, it was against Chucky. So Matty needs to stay away from Kassian in that way. 
Lastly, we need to forecheck and lean on those d harder than we did on Dallas, because their a smaller d core outside of Nurse. And I don’t know how well Barrie, Bouchard, and Keith will handle Looch and Lewis or Coleman and Dube, or Chucky and Lindy coming in heavy shift after shift and game after game. What it will lead to is Smith playing the puck more to try and help his d out, which will work to our advantage. 

39 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

I think one of the game inside the game advantaged the flames should exploit is how hard they play Drai. He is supposedly dealing with some injury, and between Zad, Guddy, and Stone they need to punish him down low every chance they get. As dangerous as he is, he seems to get thrown off his game when things don’t go his way, and the flames need to exploit that. If him and Zaddy get into a pushing match and they both take two (fantastic trade off for us).

On the other hand, McD and Kane both seemed to thrive off of some adversity and push back, so for them, walk away, no push back at all. Disengage them as much as possible, so they misuse their energy trying to get themselves into the game. 
In the last series Kassian seemed to play whistle to whistle and I don’t think he is interested in throwing down with one of our bigs, so he will be targeting Tkachuk (guaranteed). Chucky needs to take a playbook from Benn and not engage him in the same way that Benn didn’t want to have anything to do with Zad or Looch  because it would’ve fired us up (Benn wasn’t going to give us the satisfaction of that), he also didn’t take any coincidentals against those guys, it was against Chucky. So Matty needs to stay away from Kassian in that way. 
Lastly, we need to forecheck and lean on those d harder than we did on Dallas, because their a smaller d core outside of Nurse. And I don’t know how well Barrie, Bouchard, and Keith will handle Looch and Lewis or Coleman and Dube, or Chucky and Lindy coming in heavy shift after shift and game after game. What it will lead to is Smith playing the puck more to try and help his d out, which will work to our advantage. 

It's been reported that Draisaitl has a high-ankle sprain. So he's toughing through it. 

He's still very good and dangerous. Flames will need to play him tough. 

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Forget that first crap. Agree with the rest. Edmonton's done. Waste of 8 days. They'll do well to make it 10 days.

This won't be pretty.

This is one of those matchups that sound good, but it's not really IMHO.

Kane is a fool.  Tries to act tough.  Will only go against people he thinks he can beat.

Or play the old "hold me back".

McD took over games that teams gave him all the room he wanted.

Smith is a first save goalie, otherwise he's like a tadpole flopping around.

Not controlled chaos, just chaos.

Unlike Otter, you just wait him out a bit.

Make him look bad.

His ego is bigger than his pads.

The thing with the Oilers is they are fragile.

Get a two goal lead on them and they resort to no structure.

Adjust and exploit.

This will come down to, if we play them the way we played Dallas ..we'll win.. period.

Oilers forwards are better. But their defense is worse than Dallas

The scores will be a bit higher.. goals Dallas couldn't score, Oilers will.. but on the flipside goals we couldn't score..we will against Smith  Stay out of the box .. we took only one penalty in game 7.that will be key again 

Kane has always been a flames killer so like was mentioned need to throw him off his game 

Clog up the middle so MCD can't build up speed 

Do that..and I'm think I'm being generous saying we do this in 6