2022 Calgary Flames Playoff Thread

The_People1

Go Flames Go! 

A General Thread to post all Flames Playoff Talk.

I'm really glad the schedule allowed the Flames to get one extra days rest after ending the season with 3-games in 4-nights.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/schedule/2022-05-01/MT

image.jpeg

The Flames match up well generally speaking but Dallas has a few players who could prove to be too much to handle. 

Pavelski has been a career Flames-killer. 

Robertson is a 40-goal scorer. 

Hintz is a top two-way Center in the NHL. 

Heiskanen has been banged up but if healthy, is the best defensemen in this series. 

Oettinger is a good young franchise goaltender who is making a name for himself.

Benn and Seguin, haven't been the same duo in past years but I mean, Backlund is older than both and still performing well... 

After that, Lindell, Faksa, and Radulov always to play the Flames tough.

image.jpeg

Flames season stats,

image.jpeg

Moneypuck gives the Flames the #1 odds of winning the Cup!

https://moneypuck.com/predictions.htm

image.jpeg

I mean, it kind of makes sense.  The East teams will beat themselves up and then the Flames should have an easy time advancing to the Conference Finals where they could face a beat up COL team who has to go through one of Blues or Wild.  We are no fluke.  We have the best #1 Line in the NHL, one of the best goaltenders, and our team plays Sutter-hockey which is under championship-level coaching.

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Go Flames Go! 

I'm really glad the schedule allowed the Flames to get one extra days rest after ending the season with 3-games in 4-nights.

image.jpeg

The Flames match up well generally speaking but Dallas has a few players who could prove to be too much to handle. 

Heiskanen has been banged up but if healthy, is the best defensemen in this series. 

Oettinger is a good young franchise goaltender who is making a name for himself.

Benn and Seguin, haven't been the same duo in past years but I mean, Backlund is older than both and still performing well... 

image.jpeg

Flames season stats,

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I mean, it kind of makes sense.  The East teams will beat themselves up and then the Flames should have an easy time advancing to the Conference Finals where they could face a beat up COL team who has to go through one of Blues or Wild.  We are no fluke.  We have the best #1 Line in the NHL, one of the best goaltenders, and our team plays Sutter-hockey which is championship-level coaching.

Going by that chart they're wagering on a Flames/Leafs final.  Wouldnt that be something?

I dont see the Laffs getting by the Bolts.

I am so much against a Flames-Oilers 2nd round.

With that, I want us to face LA in round 2.

That would be fun.

And scary.

But fun for the coach and a couple of players.

The Leafs tried to get BOS for the opener, but BOS sat the top 6 plus top D.

You win, you get Tampa.

Waaawaaa (sad trombone)

BOS gets CAR.

Carolina, possibly without Freddie and an oft-injured Raanta.

Yikes.

Oilers are so confident in beating LA, they are already looking past it.

So many offensive weapons (well 2-3 at most) they expect a cake walk.

Smith playing Venzna, but we know what Smith really is.

LA missing pieces but know how to play 2-1 games.

COL gets a physical NAS with questions in nets, while Kuemper is up and down.

No idea on that one, but COL expected in 6 or less.

STL-MIN is a great battle series.

Interested to see if FLA can breat the Pres Trophy curse and their own 1st round struggles.

Sid's last hurrah with Malkin.

Facing the Rags.

Blech.

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Go Flames Go! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Flames season stats,

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I mean, it kind of makes sense.  The East teams will beat themselves up and then the Flames should have an easy time advancing to the Conference Finals where they could face a beat up COL team who has to go through one of Blues or Wild.  We are no fluke.  We have the best #1 Line in the NHL, one of the best goaltenders, and our team plays Sutter-hockey which is championship-level coaching.

i look at Benn and Seguin and think boy have they fallen, but then, I’d they’re a depth choice, they’re still decent depth scoring at just under or over 50 points is basically where most second liners are at, then you also know they have it in them to be top players, for moments. 

it might come down to the middle six. Whichever middle six plays better will win the series? 

like someone said, all teams in the playoffs have a really good first line. 

so hopefully ours can put score theirs and that our middle six and 4th line can outplay them.

one thing we gotta remember is, we played healthy all year, we were also fortunate to get Covid all at the same time whereas some other teams had injury problems or players out with Covid protocols at different times and not as a whole team. 

Not saying Dallas is better or that we should be lower, just that some teams might have positioned differently in other circumstances… and to be fair, every team is given the same deck of cards.

I personally think it comes down to the top lines from each team.

If Backlund can do a good job shutting down the Stars stars, then we are set up well.

Our top line has played against the best of the west all season.

We don't hide them or just start them in the O-zone.

It might be a tighter game in the playoffs, but those guys find space.

Gone are the days of stretching out the ice and a slow plodding attack.

It's not Hartley Hockey, but Sutter possess and attack hockey.

You don't have the lowest GA per game in the West from just having a good goalie or top D.

No predictions, just observations.

Otter will be a tough test, but if we can get to them early, they will have a much harder time.

They don't score a ton.

They don't get 2-3 goal leads and hold them.

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i look at Benn and Seguin and think boy have they fallen, but then, I’d they’re a depth choice, they’re still decent depth scoring at just under or over 50 points is basically where most second liners are at, then you also know they have it in them to be top players, for moments. 

it might come down to the middle six. Whichever middle six plays better will win the series? 

like someone said, all teams in the playoffs have a really good first line. 

so hopefully ours can put score theirs and that our middle six and 4th line can outplay them.

one thing we gotta remember is, we played healthy all year, we were also fortunate to get Covid all at the same time whereas some other teams had injury problems or players out with Covid protocols at different times and not as a whole team. 

Not saying Dallas is better or that we should be lower, just that some teams might have positioned differently in other circumstances… and to be fair, every team is given the same deck of cards.

Agreed.  It usually comes down to the middle six.  Top lines usually cancel each other out (although we have an usual case of having THE best top line).  They will put their best shut down line and shut down D against our top line.  We will do the same to theirs.  So it comes down to the middle six and who can break out and get hot.

Of course Seguin and Benn have had success in the past but Seguin had nerve damage in his right leg and hasn't looked the same since coming back from surgery two years ago (may never be the same again).  He's broken like Monahan.  Jamie Benn... don't know what's going on with him.  He's 32... I mean, that can't be too old.  Stamkos had a career year at 31.  Gurianov looked very promising two years ago but it seems he's a one hit wonder.  He's got an unreal shot and release but the game inbetween is kind of missing.  I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if this line had a good game or three in this series for sure.

Other than that, Namestikov is a pesky vet who could be a difference maker.  I don't see much scoring threats from anyone else in their forward group.  Faksa is always tough to play against but he doesn't score.

As for their D, if Heiskanen is healthy, then they have the best D in this series.  But their talent drops off quickly especially if Klingberg is out or banged up for this series.  Lindell is tough to play against but Suter is too old.  I don't know much about their bottom pair but we will find out I guess.

My biggest worry is that Mangiapane and Toffoli have gone ice cold.  Dube and Coleman can hopefully pick up the slack.  Against a slower Dallas Stars team, I think Lucic - Ruzicka - Ritchie aren't too slow.  They have a chance to make a big impact.

"Well, that was a waste of 8-10 days" - Dallas, Nashville, Washington.

Potentially Boston, Toronto.

Minny-St Loo is going to be epic. I'm taking Minny due to Kaprizov, but that's a pick 'em series.

My bets on pure playoff treachery are Kucherov and Vasilevsky, Kaprizov, Gaudreau and Markstrom, Panarin and Shesterkin, Barkov and Huberdeau.

Kucherov in particular is playing god-level and Stamkos the beneficiary, Kaprizov a demi-god.

"A" game Vasilevsky is terrifying. Bank it in off of his back.lol

Toronto, I've got some really bad news for you...

I've been told some talking heads are taking Washington to upset FLA due to the Cats' goaltending.

Mind-numbingly ignoring Washington's lousy goaltending. The Caps will get lit right up.

I don't think the Leafs get passed the Lightning either.  Had the Lightning had Kucherov all season then it would be the Lightning with home ice advantage.  The Lightning aren't as deep as last season with Gourde, Coleman, Johnson and Goodrow in the bottom 6 but the Leafs bottom 6 aren't that deep either.  The Lightning have far superior D and G.  The Toronto media is getting too excited over Matthews's 60-goal season.  The Leafs will lose (again) because they don't have the grit (again), especially on D.

15 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I personally think it comes down to the top lines from each team.

If Backlund can do a good job shutting down the Stars stars, then we are set up well.

Our top line has played against the best of the west all season.

We don't hide them or just start them in the O-zone.

It might be a tighter game in the playoffs, but those guys find space.

Gone are the days of stretching out the ice and a slow plodding attack.

It's not Hartley Hockey, but Sutter possess and attack hockey.

You don't have the lowest GA per game in the West from just having a good goalie or top D.

No predictions, just observations.

Otter will be a tough test, but if we can get to them early, they will have a much harder time.

They don't score a ton.

They don't get 2-3 goal leads and hold them.

The more anyone looks at it, the more the Stars really have no chance.  They just don't score enough goals as is and rely on playing D to win.  Yet, they face the Flames who are arguable the best defensive team in the league with a Vezina candidate.  How are the Stars offense going to break through?  The Flames just end up being the worst possible match up the Stars could have drawn.  

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The more anyone looks at it, the more the Stars really have no chance.  They just don't score enough goals as is and rely on playing D to win.  Yet, they face the Flames who are arguable the best defensive team in the league with a Vezina candidate.  How are the Stars offense going to break through?  The Flames just end up being the worst possible match up the Stars could have drawn.  

And really, both the Stars and Preds kinda backed in with Vegas just not capitalizing. They didn't really win in as much as Vegas lost out.

There was nothing dominant about those two teams making the playoffs. 10 more games, both would likely be out to Vegas and Van.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

And really, both the Stars and Preds kinda backed in with Vegas just not capitalizing. They didn't really win in as much as Vegas lost out.

There was nothing dominant about those two teams making the playoffs. 10 more games, both would likely be out to Vegas and Van.

Ya VAN, what a story.  They fired Green about 5 games too late or else they may have just been able to sneak into the playoffs.

VGK collapsed too.  Didn't deserve to get in down the stretch when it all mattered.

DAL would've had a better chance to beat COL because COL plays more of a run and gun style and doesn't have stud goaltending which makes it a bit easier to score while defending for dear life.  Classic, lose 7-1 in one game and then win 2-1 the next.  Just squeeze out an upset.  NAS doesn't look good against COL either without Saros and will have to drag COL into the alley with some dirty hockey and hope COL gets thrown off their game.  Hard to pull off an upset with average goaltending that will give up one bad goal per game.  No hope there.

25 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya VAN, what a story.  They fired Green about 5 games too late or else they may have just been able to sneak into the playoffs.

VGK collapsed too.  Didn't deserve to get in down the stretch when it all mattered.

DAL would've had a better chance to beat COL because COL plays more of a run and gun style and doesn't have stud goaltending which makes it a bit easier to score while defending for dear life.  Classic, lose 7-1 in one game and then win 2-1 the next.  Just squeeze out an upset.  NAS doesn't look good against COL either without Saros and will have to drag COL into the alley with some dirty hockey and hope COL gets thrown off their game.  Hard to pull off an upset with average goaltending that will give up one bad goal per game.  No hope there.

*If* COL rolls over NSH, it may leave them ill-prepared for round 2 when they face some higher adversity. I do hope NSH takes a chunk out of COL physically. It's exciting that the festivities start tonight!!! I already told my wife and 3 kids that I'm no longer available for anything after work. It's all hockey, every night for the next while! :) 

PS> Everyone in Toronto-ville seems to think they've got it made against Tampon Bay. I swear there's something in the water here, and I just happen to be immune. I'll be watching those leaf games intently, and while I'll never cheer on TBag, it'll be quite fun to hear the all the whining and complaining around here ;) 

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

A year ago Montreal backed in with a 4-4-2 record while Toronto went in at 7-1-2.  The Islanders went 3-4-3 to end the season and had no troubles with the Pens who went 8-2 to finish, the Panthers ended the season on a 6 game winning streak and their playoffs lasted the same length.  The NHL playoffs you throw everything about the past season or the playoffs of past out the window, anything can happen from here.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

*If* COL rolls over NSH, it may leave them ill-prepared for round 2 when they face some higher adversity. I do hope NSH takes a chunk out of COL physically. It's exciting that the festivities start tonight!!! I already told my wife and 3 kids that I'm no longer available for anything after work. It's all hockey, every night for the next while! :) 

PS> Everyone in Toronto-ville seems to think they've got it made against Tampon Bay. I swear there's something in the water here, and I just happen to be immune. I'll be watching those leaf games intently, and while I'll never cheer on TBag, it'll be quite fun to hear the all the whining and complaining around here ;) 

NAS/COL will be physical for sure but sadly, it's only going to be for 4 games.  And then COL gets 8 to 10 days to rest up for the second round.  I mean, of course I wish they go 7-games.

I think Leafs fans are just happy to not face BOS that they don't realize they are facing something even better.

21 minutes ago, sak22 said:

A year ago Montreal backed in with a 4-4-2 record while Toronto went in at 7-1-2.  The Islanders went 3-4-3 to end the season and had no troubles with the Pens who went 8-2 to finish, the Panthers ended the season on a 6 game winning streak and their playoffs lasted the same length.  The NHL playoffs you throw everything about the past season or the playoffs of past out the window, anything can happen from here.

I put a big * in the last two seasons.

Neither were full seasons.

The first COVID year was whoever was able to play hockey great out of the block.

Last year was a joke.

Real hockey begins today.

Most have EDM rolling to at least the 2nd round because of Smith, a great D, and a much improved team and depth.

I can understand that belief, but they have Smith.

Beat LA in the season series and went on a run from Feb. 1st.

Possibly a half broken Nurse and old man Keith.

I don't believe in a lot of the projections, since they then to look at recent success.

It's a mirage in some cases.

If you haven't played a certain way all year, you tend to fall back to the lows not the highs.

CAR and FLA should be the scariest teams in the East, but then there is TBL to ruin the party.

CAR is also missing the true starter.

COL should have no trouble with NAS, but if BSD has any confidence from his team, he will steal a few.

Let MIN and STL beat the crap out of each other in scoring.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I put a big * in the last two seasons.

Neither were full seasons.

The first COVID year was whoever was able to play hockey great out of the block.

Last year was a joke.

Just trying to prove recent trends are pointless, some teams like St. Louis go in hot and go all the way, but St. Louis is an oddity team because they were a non-division winner who didn't need to play a division winner at all in their run.  The 2012 Kings went into the playoffs at 5-2-3 and had one of the most dominant playoff runs, Edmonton in '06 backed in and then took out a team that won 58 games.  No team in this league is a sure thing, we should all know that by now.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

That's fair. MTL was a ridiculous surprise last year. The NYI and Panthers I don't put in that category. The Cats especially. Better team but had to roll out all 3 goalies vs the wall that Vasilevsky was. The Islanders are built on team play. I'm surprised they fell so far this year. I was always waiting for them to turn it around but they never did.

But yeah, great take sak, there is always the unexpected.

39 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Just trying to prove recent trends are pointless, some teams like St. Louis go in hot and go all the way, but St. Louis is an oddity team because they were a non-division winner who didn't need to play a division winner at all in their run.  The 2012 Kings went into the playoffs at 5-2-3 and had one of the most dominant playoff runs, Edmonton in '06 backed in and then took out a team that won 58 games.  No team in this league is a sure thing, we should all know that by now.

Oh yeah, that is so true.  Really I was just pointing out that the last two years aren't even part of the trends.

They really meant nothing other than TBL winning it all with the best team those two years.

I am pretty comfortable with the Flames in this series. I still think its going to take 6 games but I don't have a high level of concern they won't win the series. Dallas is a one line team that if you limit that line their offence really dries up and while Ottinger flashed down the stretch i'm not a huge believer he is the real deal. I think the Flames depth with take over and they win this one. If the Flames top line is the Flames top line then this might end sooner than 6 to be honest. That's the x factor for me, what level of play do you get out of Gaudreau and that top line. Struggle like they have in recent years the series goes longer, they light it up this is going to be over sooner. But I still think the Flames can win the series without their top line being the top line. 

I think we are heading towards a battle of Alberta playoff series in all likelihood. I do like LA chances but I think the Oilers will win that series. 

I agree Toronto is in tough and I don't like them in that series. i think Leafs are one and down again and their defense and goaltending will let them down. Tough matchup draw for them. 

Other than the Lightning i'm not seeing a team that can hang with the Panthers in the East. I think they cruise. 

1 minute ago, LouCifer said:

I saw on twitter that Sutter is running an intense practice today. Our boys will be ready for game 1. Go Flames Go!

This is to get them ready for the grind.

Even if the first round goes easier than expected, round 2 and 3 will be a grind.