Newest Flame First 73 In team History Tyler Tofolli

The_Tribal Chief

A couple of things:

1. I don't think we can under value how important it was to be able to get Toffoli this early. Sure there may have been better players available, but who knows if they were available to Calgary, the longer you wait the less time you have them available to you. Getting Toffoli now means we have a much improved lineup for a month longer than if we waited till the deadline.

2. Adding to this roster is sure to provide a boost and spark to this team. It shows that management believes in this team and that can go a long way.

Again he wouldn't have been my first choice, but it was pretty doubtful that the players I wanted (Hertl, Giroux) were even available. So when you look at this deal for what it is, it's a big win for the Flames. They get a RHS RW that can play in the top 6, they get a guy who can put the puck in the net, they get a guy who knows the coach and half the players so there should be a  very short transition period, they get a guy who has won before. They improved their top 9 depth, their depth scoring and the PP in one move and didn't give up anything from the active roster to do it, that's a clear win, for a team that is looking to do some serious damage in the playoffs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

A couple of things:

1. I don't think we can under value how important it was to be able to get Toffoli this early. Sure there may have been better players available, but who knows if they were available to Calgary, the longer you wait the less time you have them available to you. Getting Toffoli now means we have a much improved lineup for a month longer than if we waited till the deadline.

2. Adding to this roster is sure to provide a boost and spark to this team. It shows that management believes in this team and that can go a long way.

Again he wouldn't have been my first choice, but it was pretty doubtful that the players I wanted (Hertl, Giroux) were even available. So when you look at this deal for what it is, it's a big win for the Flames. They get a RHS RW that can play in the top 6, they get a guy who can put the puck in the net, they get a guy who knows the coach and half the players so there should be a  very short transition period, they get a guy who has won before. They improved their top 9 depth, their depth scoring and the PP in one move and didn't give up anything from the active roster to do it, that's a clear win, for a team that is looking to do some serious damage in the playoffs.

Well said.  We can debate the cost and the strengths/weaknesses of the player, but make no mistake, we had a serious hole in the top 9.  Ritchie may be effective in some aspects of the game, but he's not an everyday player.  INstead, we have a player with decent numbers in playoffs, a player that knows how the coach thinks and a player that should integrate well within a Flames gameplan.

Unlike the VGK, we won't be facing scrutiny from the league or other NHL teams for questionable cap management.  That strategy might hurt them in the long run, as Stone is a big piece of their regular season play.  If a rusty Jack isn't enough to offset the loss of Stone for a number of week, they could be in some trouble. Yeah, I know they are the top team in the Division, but they are 13th in the league in points %. 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

A couple of things:

Also, just to comment, there was a lot of talk about covid making it very hard for Cdn teams to deal with US teams and their players and CDN restrictions.

Another tip of the cap to the org for jumping on one of the good Cdn team fwds. Well played.

22 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I loved what he said. You make trades when you're playing bad, or playing good. It's a trade. It's better to trade this early because at the deadline, it is 40 days left in the season, that's not a lot of time to integrate them into the roster, and a lot of times it doesn't work because of how little time the new player has to get used to the team, the play. 

It's basically what I've been thinking the last week or so. I thought now was the time to add to get a player acclimated. I hope it makes us a top3 line team with a decent-good 4th line. 

What the 3rd line is lacking is hockey IQ or speed. Hopefully adding him to Dube gives he someone to work with. I think Dube can do it. Hopefully Monahan can get excited too and this gives him a shot in the arm. If we can get that 3rd line to click, it would mean a lot to this team.

If that 3rd line can click, that would make this team a contender…your 100% correct! 

We have all been wanted strength to this team before this trade we were very weak one strong line for scoring now adding toffoli we now have a much more dangerous team not just the top line that can be defended against and shutdown for scoring like the previous times that we were in playoffs

I think most of us are saying the same things, and for the most part excited by the move. I think what can’t be understated is how much more flexibility this gives Sutter and Staff flexibility with matchups. The past couple games he was being put in a position to protect his he Monahan line, because he was worried about them getting hemmed in. It was shown clearly in the last game seeing Ruzicka out there taking his fair share of D zone draws. This now allows him to have his #1 Line, and a 2a 2b and a 3a line, without fear of matchups. And can strong arm some matchups as well with that much depth. If our 3rd line is Dube-Money-Toff, that is significantly stronger than almost anyones third line except for a few. 

• The_Tribal Chief changed the title to Newest Flame First 73 In team History Tyler Tofolli
42 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

or how trading picks away backfire. Could have drafted so and so…

You can save that one for the first season the Montreal draft pick from 2022 plays.

And that's if we don't win the cup at least once before then.

This is the first TDL trade BT has made of any consequence.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Dream on guys.  Toffoli is not Jack Eichel or something.  He is a complementary piece.  He didn't drag up anyone in Montreal.

The way I see it is, Dube needs someone he can pass to who can make room for themselves and not having to carry the puck up the ice. If they have equal but decent hockey ability and play together, their accumulated skill can make each other better.