Newest Flame First 73 In team History Tyler Tofolli

The_Tribal Chief

This is just to play devil's advocate and I don't want to break up what is working. But where we HAVE FAILED in the past was, that we always went with you don't fix what is not broken.

But let's say we have options in the Top6.

We know Tkachuk has worked with Mangiapane. Mangiapane is scoring on a 35+ goal rate or more. Could we reunite them? 

Gaudreau, Lindholm, Toffoli

Mangiapane, Backlund, Tkachuk

Coleman, Monahan, Dube

Lucic, Ruzicka, Lewis

Can Toffoli dish it? or is he purely a goal scorer?

You can also go:

JG, EL, MT

AM, MB, TT

BC, SM, DD

ML, AR, TL

Or 

lineup as is but the third line:

DD, SM, TT

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

This is just to play devil's advocate and I don't want to break up what is working. But where we HAVE FAILED in the past was, that we always went with you don't fix what is not broken.

But let's say we have options in the Top6.

We know Tkachuk has worked with Mangiapane. Mangiapane is scoring on a 35+ goal rate or more. Could we reunite them? 

Gaudreau, Lindholm, Toffoli

Mangiapane, Backlund, Tkachuk

Coleman, Monahan, Dube

Lucic, Ruzicka, Lewis

Can Toffoli dish it? or is he purely a goal scorer?

You can also go:

JG, EL, MT

AM, MB, TT

BC, SM, DD

ML, AR, TL

Or 

lineup as is but the third line:

DD, SM, TT

And this is the beautiful thing with this trade Rob. We now have OPTIONS. 

Before this trade came through, I was even proposing Toff on the top line and Chucky moving down. We know our top line generates high danger chances en masse, so why not put a bonified sniper on it? 

Even without any changes to the top or even 2nd lines, Toffoli is now going to be a feature on our PP. We now have a left-side one-timer threat. And a natural right-side scoring threat. You guys watch what's going to happen here. Our 5-on-5 stats have been top of the league, our special teams are going to get a big boost. 

8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Here are all the connections I can find:

Sutter: coached him in LA

Lucic: played together in LA, was best man at his wedding.

Lewis: played together in LA

Markstrom: played together in Vancouver

Tanev: played together in Vancouver

Monahan: played together in junior

Muller: coached him in Montreal

Ritchie: played together in Jr Super Series

Gudbranson: played together in Jr Super Series

Richardson: played together in LA

Nice. Interesting in the interviews is the common consent about how good he is defensively. Should be a great fit.

I think you need to work at integrating him into the team.  See how he works.  See what makes sense.  Try one thing that seems to make the most sense for a few games.  Different types of teams.  There are probably 3 places where he could play but only interested in ones that make us better overall.

Was interesting to hear his pk ability stressed so much by both Sutter and Treliving. Flames are a little top heavy again where Backlund and LIndholm are their busiest forwards on the PK. flame don't take a ton of penalties so it works but I'm curious to see if Toffoli can help balance that out a little. Particularly in the case of LIndholm. 

5 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

And this is the beautiful thing with this trade Rob. We now have OPTIONS. 

Before this trade came through, I was even proposing Toff on the top line and Chucky moving down. We know our top line generates high danger chances en masse, so why not put a bonified sniper on it? 

Even without any changes to the top or even 2nd lines, Toffoli is now going to be a feature on our PP. We now have a left-side one-timer threat. And a natural right-side scoring threat. You guys watch what's going to happen here. Our 5-on-5 stats have been top of the league, our special teams are going to get a big boost. 

I would be very careful with the top line.

They are rocking.

Monahan and Backlund could benefit more than the top line with a consistent shooter.

Backlund does have Mangiapane.

Monahan has Ritchie and Dube.

I know Monahan isn't a great playmaker, but anything is better than Ricthie.

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Was interesting to hear his pk ability stressed so much by both Sutter and Treliving. Flames are a little top heavy again where Backlund and LIndholm are their busiest forwards on the PK. flame don't take a ton of penalties so it works but I'm curious to see if Toffoli can help balance that out a little. Particularly in the case of LIndholm. 

Same. I didn't really know that about Toffoli. Markstrom also saying that he's excellent in the D zone and very sound positionally.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Looks like you can't wipe the smile off Toffoli's face, and Looch's wife already saying, "I'm picking you up at the airport".

This is starting to sound like a crazy good add.

Honestly for me the only "concern" or hesitation i can put around this is they spent a good asset and depleted their cap space but haven't filled their biggest need. This is just my personal opinion but i'm very skeptical they can go on a run with the center depth they have. 

But on the surface and looking at just the transaction it's really hard to find a fault. The player fits in so many ways and the price is very reasonable. 

I'm not a huge fan of the trade.   Not happy to move a 1st round pick for a player who doesn't move the needle in my opinion.  Toffoli doesn't put us over the top.

If it would've taken much more to get the right piece then I'd rather pay more.  1st + top prospect to get a Giroux or something.  Now we don't have a 1st to use.

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Honestly for me the only "concern" or hesitation i can put around this is they spent a good asset and depleted their cap space but haven't filled their biggest need. This is just my personal opinion but i'm very skeptical they can go on a run with the center depth they have. 

But on the surface and looking at just the transaction it's really hard to find a fault. The player fits in so many ways and the price is very reasonable. 

I get, and fully support what you're saying .. so not trying to throw water on it .. wr definitely need another top center ..

But if argue this .this could be self fulfilling, if only for the rest of the season.

I don't see Monahan getting moved except in a "hockey trade" .which rarely happens except in off season ..

Montreal gives a ton of credit to Toffoli for the progress of Suzuki and Caufield.. so he's great with the kids ..

Monahan has been getting a better touch lately.. Toffoli has a shoot first mentality..means a lot of rebounds , you got Monahan who's got good hands in close and he can dish it when he has a finisher as sho n by how many assists he got with Gaudreau z and vice versa ...the  you have Dube who's not afraid to dig and get dirty ..

This could end up being a very potent 5 on 5 line with go won't face top lines a ton.. 

Next season, if Monahan moves on.. Ruzicka is progressing to where he could be a solid regukar next season .could be a fit for Toffoli then 

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm not a huge fan of the trade.   Not happy to move a 1st round pick for a player who doesn't move the needle in my opinion.  Toffoli doesn't put us over the top.

If it would've taken much more to get the right piece then I'd rather pay more.  1st + top prospect to get a Giroux or something.  Now we don't have a 1st to use.

I'm curios how you don't feel he moves the needle ?

Consistent 20+ goal scorer , heaviest on 5v5

RS RW top 6 scorer..that we've been begging for since we started the turnstile paying  Brouwer.. 

Proven playoff performer .. 

We haven't had a proven player of this caliber in that position in years .

Id love Giroux too..but he's gonna be more expensive ..and a pure rental..   not to mention, he'd be siding into a slot where we'd be wishing we had a winger to play him with 

Like I noted in my comment to Cross, this should give 3 deadly lines for the rest of this season..and next year Ruzicka should be ready for the 3rd line typ role .. 

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yups.  If BT really felt this team was "depth scoring" away from winning the Cup, JFC.  Also, if you want depth, go get a #1 Center and it bumps players down the depth chart and you've got depth.

Agree, Toffoli fits from a personal angle.  He's joining a team with lots of friends and he's going to fit right into that locker room.  Good for locker room cohesion.  He appears well liked.  Moreover, he's just happy to get out of Montreal.  Losing in that city can't be fun.

From the angle that he's a known commodity from the players side, he is the right target.  

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yups.  If BT really felt this team was "depth scoring" away from winning the Cup, JFC.  Also, if you want depth, go get a #1 Center and it bumps players down the depth chart and you've got depth.

Agree, Toffoli fits from a personal angle.  He's joining a team with lots of friends and he's going to fit right into that locker room.  Good for locker room cohesion.  He appears well liked.  Moreover, he's just happy to get out of Montreal.  Losing in that city can't be fun.

From the angle that he's a known commodity from the players side, he is the right target.  

So exactly how many of those are available? And at what cost?

15 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I'm curios how you don't feel he moves the needle ?

Consistent 20+ goal scorer , heaviest on 5v5

RS RW top 6 scorer..that we've been begging for since we started the turnstile paying  Brouwer.. 

Proven playoff performer .. 

We haven't had a proven player of this caliber in that position in years .

Id love Giroux too..but he's gonna be more expensive ..and a pure rental..   not to mention, he'd be siding into a slot where we'd be wishing we had a winger to play him with 

Like I noted in my comment to Cross, this should give 3 deadly lines for the rest of this season..and next year Ruzicka should be ready for the 3rd line typ role .. 

I should say it doesn't move the needle "enough".  Of course it helps to swap out Ritchie for Toffoli in the line up.

11 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

So exactly how many of those are available? And at what cost?

Whatever the cost.  It's the final piece.  It's never going to be cheap.

Either BT didn't want to pay or none are available so he's going to toss a 1st rounder away for the sake of it.

I mean, yes Toffoli helps but we're still left looking for the final piece.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I should say it doesn't move the needle "enough".  Of course it helps to swap out Ritchie for Toffoli in the line up.

I'd say more than that.. you're putting a top line caliber rw on your 3rd line and creating 2/3 of what would be a top line on half the teams in the league .. monahan may be overpaid but you still have 2 20+ goal scorers who have both been over 30 playing together.. how many teams have that on their 3rd line ?

He could very realistically get Monahan to be that missing piece .. until you trade him high in the offseason 

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Whatever the cost.  It's the final piece.  It's never going to be cheap.

Either BT didn't want to pay or none are available so he's going to toss a 1st rounder away for the sake of it.

I mean, yes Toffoli helps but we're still left looking for the final piece.

Obviously, we aren't getting Hertl.  In division makes it near impossible cost wise.

Even if they wanted to trade him to us.

I doubt MTL is considering tradin Dvorak, since they just have got him and haven't had a full year to look at him.

You keep him over a Byron.

What else is available out there?

Domi isn't a top C, nice piece but not #1.

6 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I'd say more than that.. you're putting a top line caliber rw on your 3rd line and creating 2/3 of what would be a top line on half the teams in the league .. monahan may be overpaid but you still have 2 20+ goal scorers who have both been over 30 playing together.. how many teams have that on their 3rd line ?

"Top line calibre" is a bit flattering considering he's a career 2nd liner and often nowhere close to point per game.

I get that we improved our 3rd line greatly today and Toffoli will be tried on different combos for sure.  Our second unit PP got a huge boost too.   We added another weapon.

But would loved to have moved 1st + top prospect for Chychrun instead.  Or even Keller who is playing like a #1 Center right now.   But we spent our #1 trade chip for depth.  Rebuilding teams want that 1st round pick.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Obviously, we aren't getting Hertl.  In division makes it near impossible cost wise.

Even if they wanted to trade him to us.

I doubt MTL is considering tradin Dvorak, since they just have got him and haven't had a full year to look at him.

You keep him over a Byron.

What else is available out there?

Domi isn't a top C, nice piece but not #1.

I agree . That's the hardest piece to ever get..  just ask Iggy.. 

I think if the leafs fall on their face again, possibly Pittsburgh etc.. a strong finish from Monahan this year , along with some prospects ..opens up a lot more trade partners in the offseason