Johnny Gaudreau

conundrumed

21 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Oh 100%..  hindsight drafting always annoys me .. I have no beef with who we did take ..nobody was a reach. 

Just love the connections like Coleman, and the fact Kucherov was on our radar .. the almost spy like undercover intrigue behind the scenes 

Obviously nobody saw Kuch as being as good as he's become. Every team passed on him at least once 

Probably what made them do the whole reach for Jankowski the next year 

What irked me was Feaster & Weisbrod acted like they're the smartest guys around. That trade down from 14 was farcical. I wanted Maata or Vasilevsky. Then TBay got Vas and the rest is history. Ceci was the other dman along with Maatta available. They took a guy knowing it's a 5 yr trajectory.

Remove JG, Mony and Bennett and let's pretend the whole 2011 through 2014 drafts never happened.

44 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

What irked me was Feaster & Weisbrod acted like they're the smartest guys around. That trade down from 14 was farcical. I wanted Maata or Vasilevsky. Then TBay got Vas and the rest is history. Ceci was the other dman along with Maatta available. They took a guy knowing it's a 5 yr trajectory.

Remove JG, Mony and Bennett and let's pretend the whole 2011 through 2014 drafts never happened.

I hear ya .to be fair that was an overall weak draft .so reaching I was ok with.. but the circus side show was too much . "The next Nieuwendyk" was a bit much .. aside from vasikevsky even maata and Ceci are kind of Meh 

I can still remember being so worried the Oilers were gonna scoop Bennett and "stick us" with Leon lol..  🙄

19 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I hear ya .to be fair that was an overall weak draft .so reaching I was ok with.. but the circus side show was too much . "The next Nieuwendyk" was a bit much .. aside from vasikevsky even maata and Ceci are kind of Meh 

I can still remember being so worried the Oilers were gonna scoop Bennett and "stick us" with Leon lol..  🙄

I believe Vas was ranked 24th. I saw him in Sarnia for the Russia vs OHL Series. He was lights out. His entire draft year he was lights out. Being Russian dropped him to 24th, because there was nothing else there that dropped him so low. He was a beast.

Even Kucherov's wasted Cup interview last year, "Vasi's the best goalie, I've known that since he was like, 14".

Vasilevsky didn't come out of nowhere.

Maatta and Ceci ARE NHLers though, unlike Jankowski and Seiloff. But yes, it was a weak class.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

No kidding.  We were so desperate for a #1 Center for Iginla that we drafted a 5-year project.  Literally that's why we drafted a Center instead of the best player available.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

No kidding.  We were so desperate for a #1 Center for Iginla that we drafted a 5-year project.  Literally that's why we drafted a Center instead of the best player available.

Add in an albeit Russian goalie killing it in his draft year and Kipper going away.

I "get" we drafted goalies, but damn. Nothing in Vasilevsky's draft year screamed, "this guy isn't superlative".

He went from exceptional at 17 to being exceptional in the NHL.

Other team's missed, I get it.

Yzerman didn't, and here we are.

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Add in an albeit Russian goalie killing it in his draft year and Kipper going away.

I "get" we drafted goalies, but damn. Nothing in Vasilevsky's draft year screamed, "this guy isn't superlative".

I like our scouting enough to have identified Gaudreau and Kucherov... And Adam Fox too.  But that whole Feaster regime set us back years.  Wrong GM to kick off our rebuild.  Well, wrong GM for everything really.

So many "what ifs".

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

We were in the late stages of a delayed rebuild.

Feaster seemed to think that a high school hockey player was what we need down the road.

Iggy and Kipper thought to be ageless.

Yet, the following year we tried to get ROR.

When that failed, trade Iggy and threaten to trade Kipper.

I suppose some of the blame was the lockout, since we never managed to get to playoff level.

The fact that the owners "let" feaster make those horrible trades makes me wonder.

Just now, The_People1 said:

So anyways, less than 48 hours until Gaudreau hits UFA.  Are we nervous yet?

The deadline doesn't make me nervous.

The insiders tweets like "NJ closing in on a deal with Gaudreau" coming out on FA day would.

I don't believe that JH actually wants a 8 year deal.

If that is true, then there is no real deadline.

11 minutes ago, zima said:

So if we lose JH where do you think this team will be in the standings next season ? Do you believe we can still make the playoffs?

Of course we have enough talent to make the playoffs. We just won't have enough game breakers to win the Cup so I ask why bother in that case.

Preparing for life without JH! If he does end up staying it’s likely $10M/8yrs…these contracts almost never work out in the long run but this is the business! We’ll get an announcement by tommorow evening, don’t think JH will want to drag this into Wednesday knowing it’s hampering the teams ability to improve itself. 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Of course we have enough talent to make the playoffs. We just won't have enough game breakers to win the Cup so I ask why bother in that case.

Well you know Franchise they will never do a Oilslick and purposely lose no matter what we have our pride and the oilslicks don't even know what true pride is as long as they get a top three every yr. But with the talent they have now it will be tuff for them to lose that bad for a few yrs 

1 hour ago, zima said:

Well you know Franchise they will never do a Oilslick and purposely lose no matter what we have our pride and the oilslicks don't even know what true pride is as long as they get a top three every yr. But with the talent they have now it will be tuff for them to lose that bad for a few yrs 

Of course let's not do an Oilslick.  Let's do an Avs and Lightning.

Just to play devils advocate here, but doesn’t Philly have $14m in LTIR space to use? It sounds like Ellis isn’t going to be back anytime soon, and I am not sure what the deal is with Couturier.

Maybe I am being pessimistic but I think the odds of him staying at this point are less than 50%.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Just to play devils advocate here, but doesn’t Philly have $14m in LTIR space to use? It sounds like Ellis isn’t going to be back anytime soon, and I am not sure what the deal is with Couturier.

Maybe I am being pessimistic but I think the odds of him staying at this point are less than 50%.

The default position on his status is that he will longer be a Calgary Flames in less than 48 hours.  So I mean, it's likely 90% he's a goner.

This reeks of Kawhi Leonard situation with the Raptors where the Kawhi camp played it cool, radio silent, no comments, etc.  Basically, refusing comment on all Raptors proposals and contract talks for an extension and then after UFA begins, signs at home in LA and then drops a "thank you" message to Raptors fans.

26 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

It's hard to say. All of the public comments around Ellis were that he thought he'd be ready to go for next season. It's been very quiet on Couturier but at the time of the injury it didn't sound like something that would put him on LTIR for that long. 

You'd need them on LTIR for pretty much the season to make Gaudreau work. No indications i've seen that it's the case with either player but hard to know. 

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

This reeks of Kawhi Leonard situation with the Raptors where the Kawhi camp played it cool, radio silent, no comments, etc.  Basically, refusing comment on all Raptors proposals and contract talks for an extension and then after UFA begins, signs at home in LA and then drops a "thank you" message to Raptors fans.

Didn't play it that cool. It was very well known that Kawhi wanted to play in LA and they never really engaged with the Raptors in any serious way. 

From the day they acquired him it was pretty well reported it was going to be a one and done scenario as he had originally wanted to go to LA when he was traded. There were even some fears when the deal went down Kawhi wasn't going to report. 

Well,

I wanted a rebuild, and I'm going to get one.   Not many other outcomes to giving away your most valuable asset for free in a league with this much parity, again.

the length of the rebuild, and the level of pain, that wasn't part of my plan.

I know BT is going to be defended on here and elsewhere, I already know people are going to say it was "out of his hands", even though we've known for 5 years that our most valuable asset wanted out and would leave at first opportunity, something we kept denying in here, but knew.

I'll say it once.    I already know what people will think,

This Should be a fireable offense, BT should go.   They should bring in someone new, and they should do scorched earth.   If you're going to rebuild, the least you could do is have a shot at Bedard for the sake of your poor fans.

But it seems pretty clear right now that they will keep BT, and they will "soldier on" with a mediocre season followed by x  number of declines before it is obvious to everyone that the rebuild started some time ago.

p.s...we will have one saving grace imho.   The Erixon/Fox curse.

Whoever acquires Gaudreau will never win a cup.  And likely never win a round in the playoffs (I feel this will be a much stronger curse than Fox).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It's hard to say. All of the public comments around Ellis were that he thought he'd be ready to go for next season. It's been very quiet on Couturier but at the time of the injury it didn't sound like something that would put him on LTIR for that long. 

You'd need them on LTIR for pretty much the season to make Gaudreau work. No indications i've seen that it's the case with either player but hard to know. 

The speculation was that they acquired Deangelo because Ellis wasn’t going to play this year.

32 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Didn't play it that cool. It was very well known that Kawhi wanted to play in LA and they never really engaged with the Raptors in any serious way. 

From the day they acquired him it was pretty well reported it was going to be a one and done scenario as he had originally wanted to go to LA when he was traded. There were even some fears when the deal went down Kawhi wasn't going to report. 

But... it's well known Gaudreau wants to play in PHI and has not engaged the Flames in... well, at all.