2021 Offseason Thread

Thebrewcrew

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

A month to training camp and not much out there. I think any moves now are minor.

If Eichel is off the table, then Monahan has more interest to teams.

Dvorak is supposed ly out there.

Several teams looking for C's.

Big signings are probably not what is coming, since the names are gone.

Trades more likely at this point.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Is Mony fully healthy and good to go now?

There isn't a lot of history of late offseason deals.

No, but then we haven't had many off seasons like this one.  A combination of a shortened off season, flat cap, and Eichel holding things up suggests we will see some last season moves this year.  

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think BT is waiting until the Eichel situation is resolved.

If there is not going to be a solution, then he moves on to other priorities.

There are something like 5 RFA's that need to be dealt with.

The possible arbitration case or negotiations with Zaddy.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

A month to training camp and not much out there. I think any moves now are minor.

If he is waiting to do other moves after Eichel, I hope he isn't waiting too long. Could be a dangerous game and end up with a poor roster.

17 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

If he is waiting to do other moves after Eichel, I hope he isn't waiting too long. Could be a dangerous game and end up with a poor roster.

If I had to giess, I would he has an internal deadline for a particular deal.

Any longer than that date and he has to move on.

In some ways it's a negoatiation strategy, since it lets BUFF know they will lose a suitor.

19 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

We just have to wait longer than the other team's who have a chance at Eichel.  After they drop out of the Eichel sweepstakes and we are the only one remaining, then we win.  Hope the other team's blink first and move to their Plan Bs.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If I had to giess, I would he has an internal deadline for a particular deal.

Any longer than that date and he has to move on.

In some ways it's a negoatiation strategy, since it lets BUFF know they will lose a suitor.

There is no Plan B for us.  A Dvorak doesn't move the needle enough.  It's not a thing to go after.  It's not a move we need to make.  If there's a #1 LD available then we should look at it but otherwise, we should go all in on Eichel.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

There is no Plan B for us.  A Dvorak doesn't move the needle enough.  It's not a thing to go after.  It's not a move we need to make.  If there's a #1 LD available then we should look at it but otherwise, we should go all in on Eichel.

Alternatively, Dvorak would be a solid addition as we are thin at C and he's a solid choice to bolster the 2-3 slot and allow us the Lindholm to RW option.

Run on sentence.lol

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Not sure what you mean by a plan B. If you mean there isn't an alternative to Eichel, agreed. But the Flames will use their cap space for something. Likely a depth RD. But I wouldn't rule out a pick up like Dvorak. 

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Theres always a plan B.

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Even if Eichel is traded for, I think the belief is that the depth on D is less than it needs to be.

Backlund is a solid player, if somewhat older than the core.

Lucic provides some identity to the team at a high cost.

If Eichel is obtained for futures, then we need to get cheaper elsewhere.

One or more of Monahan, Tkachuk or Gaudreau need to be traded to reduce the cap and fill some holes.

Dvorak may not be a step up from Monahan or even Backlund, but he provides cap value for a longer period of time.

If Eichel is the big piece this summer, some lesser moves will still take place.

If for instance, we trade a winger and some futures for Eichel, then we can consider moving a C for a top 4 D.

If we trade a C and futures for Eichel, we can consider trading a winger for top 4 D or RW or combo.

What I am saying is this is not the final roster.  We don't have any real change to the top 9 core.

We added two players that will help, but still have the same issues.

We added a depth D while losing a top 4 D.

Logically one has to pressume something is going to happen. This roster is weaker than last years, especailly on D. The few tweaks Trevling has done up front were need to the bottom end of the roster. Our top 6 is still currently in place and has not moved the needle for the past 2 seasons anyway. 

Dvorak is a cheaper current version of Monahan less a few goals, aqusition of him would be picks and a prospect. Eichel is going to require assets picks a top 6 guy out.

On the fence with Eichel now, is the ends justify the means. Eichel in and Matthew and another roster player out to balance cap space. Or do you trade Matthew to St Louis for Kyrou or Thomas and get Taresenko and pick, with St Loius retaining cap space for Taresenko of 25%. Really if your Buffalo would you not just flip Matthew to St louis any way.  IMHO Matthew has just slightly under market value as Eichel he should be worth 1st possibly ( 2nd depending on the Prospect), good prospect and roster player, Eichel should get a little bit more based on position. Now people may crap all over this but really for a top 6 guy RW, I hear Kessel wants out of ARZ. His cap hit is minimal after ARZ pays up front of salary of $1mill. He had 46 points on a crap team and was coach by a defensive coach in Tocchett. 

If we get Eichel ( Dube and Matthew out) top 6                                                 

JG EIchel Kessel                                                                                           

Mags Lindholm Coleman

Phillips Monahan Pitlick

Lucic  Backs 

St Loius Trade with Matthew

Mags Lindholm Kyrou/Kessel

JG Monahan Kyrou/Kessel

Dube Backs Coleman

Lucic Gadwin Pitlick

There are more options but each roster looks good for the forwards but IMHO each makes a good top 9 especailly the last one. WE still need to fill in a top dman. Just my thoughts any way

Zadorov is done. 1 year at 3.75 mill. I personally like that a lot as I think he is overpaid at that number so I'm really glad the Flames didn't go term. It does walk him to UFA but if he were a UFA right now I don't think his number would start with a 3. Good risk to take and good to keep some flexibility. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Zadorov is done. 1 year at 3.75 mill. I personally like that a lot as I think he is overpaid at that number so I'm really glad the Flames didn't go term. It does walk him to UFA but if he were a UFA right now I don't think his number would start with a 3. Good risk to take and good to keep some flexibility. 

Well, it's not a huge amount.

We have a player that if we want to can trade at TDL to a team making a cup run.

If we like him, we can possibly re-sign him before he's a UFA.

Either way, it's a one year rental that we can walk away from or recoup assets or re-sign.

11 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Time to get Dube, Valjmaki and Mackey done and move this thing forward!

That would be 12 fwds, 8D, 2G.

2 of those players may be part of an Eichel deal?

I hope not, but it is possible.

Two of the easiest players to re-sign.

If they not part of any Eichel deal, I hope BT doesn't play hardball with them.

29 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I like it. 2 years should a long enough "show me" period.

It's fair.  Not cheaped out, not a one year prove it deal.

He has time to build his value and we have two years at a reasonable cost.

Obviously, BT has faith that he is easily worth this much. 

I thought BT may force Valimaki to take his QO.

But a 2yr deal makes a lot of sense. For a few hundred-thousand more, the Flames get an extra year on the Valimaki deal. That's big, considering the Flame's could, in theory have 3 big extensions to Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Mangiapane after this season

Good now for Dube, he’s probably priority #1 now…and then McKey after that…hopefully Dube signs for 2-3 at 2.5 or less and McKey should be around 750-900k probably a two way deal for a year I’m thinking? 

would leave us about 3.5 to play with, maybe good for a 2nd line RW? 

one thing I do hope is this puts the Eichel thing out of reach and we can all love on to more productive ideas like a 2nd line RW?

Im wondering if BT may sign Bozak? He may be a good 3rd line option for a year on the cheap for C or RW?  could be a nice value add if they us Coleman on the 2nd line RW…

Gaudreau/Monahan/Lindholm 

Tachuck/Backlund/Coleman 

Manji/ Bozak/Dube

im not 100% with this but, it could open up 3 balanced but defensive responsible scoring lines? 

24 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Good now for Dube, he’s probably priority #1 now…and then McKey after that…hopefully Dube signs for 2-3 at 2.5 or less and McKey should be around 750-900k probably a two way deal for a year I’m thinking? 

would leave us about 3.5 to play with, maybe good for a 2nd line RW? 

one thing I do hope is this puts the Eichel thing out of reach and we can all love on to more productive ideas like a 2nd line RW?

Well, if I compare Dube with Mangiapane's deal after his ELC, Dube hasn't done enough to warrant $2m+.

Mangiapane went from an ELC to 2nd deal at $715k.

When he followed that up with 32 points in 68 games and 5 points in 10 playoff games, he got a 2 year deal at $2.4m.

Unfortunately, an Eichel deal had to have money going out.

Like $7m for Tkachuk or $6.35m for Monahan.

Or Monahan + Dube.

It's alive until the trade is done with someone or BUFF takes him off the market.

Trade pieces -

2022, 2023, 2024 1st round picks,

A 2022 second round pick

Any number of later picks

Dylan Dube,

Matthew Phillips

One of Monahan (ntc), Backlund (ntc), Lindholm 

Use the above pieces to get us a centre and rw. Eichel (C - injured), Kopitar ( C -out of prime), Kuznetsov (C - streaky with PR issues), Tarasenko (RW - oft injured), Rielly Smith ( RW - bad year, one year left).

Pay a premium for the team to hold half the salary. 

Sign Bobby Ryan for 1M. Make him our captain. 

Pick up Michael Del Col and sign to a 2way contract for 3 years.

We would be...

Gaudreau - Eichel* - Rielly*

Tkachuk - Lindholm* - Coleman

Mangiapane - Backlund* - Ryan

Lucic - Lewis - Pitlick

Ritchie

Del Col

Hanafin - Tanev

Valimaki - Anderson

Kylington - Zadarov

Mackey

I dont mind giving up picks for 3 years as long as we dont trade any other players from the farm. This would allow us to compete for 3 years. Hopefully players would want to play here and stay here and would be able to keep them longer for similar money or trade them out for good palyers.