Seattle Expansion Draft

JTech780

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I'm assuming that they will try to target some high level forwards.  This looks like a lunchpail crew at first blush.

Building for the future.

In all honesty, other than the goaltending I think that lunchpail crew can easily take the current Flames roster out behind the woodshed. This looks like it will be a tenacious crew with something to prove and we all know how the Flames react to that type of play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

So who will be the next captain of the Flames? I realize it's pretty early to project, but barring significant roster changes, my money is on Mikael Backlund.

Love.

Probably not named this year.  Go with 3 A's.  Maybe name Tanev one of the new A's if they are allowed to go with 4.

I suppose it also depends on the disposition of Monahan.

Think he shared one.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

John Quenneville selected from the Hawks.

Yzerman is the only GM in the league without leaks:)

But obviously they'll take Stecher.lol

Well, the report out of Detroit is that Dennis Cholowski was being selected (as of 4 hours ago).

Said they had trouble reaching him, so no doubt why there was radio silence.

3 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

In all honesty, other than the goaltending I think that lunchpail crew can easily take the current Flames roster out behind the woodshed. This looks like it will be a tenacious crew with something to prove and we all know how the Flames react to that type of play.

Agreed. Unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That surprises me. He's been a disappointment.

It seems that they know something the teams impacted don't.  🙂 

I like some of the picks but see a middling team right now.

Not that we are any better, but I think scoring will be an issue for them.

Heard that Seattle is trading Gio for Strome out of NY.

That would be dumb.

Gio should be worth more than that.

42 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Hope not, hope it’s Tkacuck 

No doubt. I would hope that, too. I would be pretty surprised after last season, though. My initial thought was Tanev, and Lucic seems like a good choice, too - but I'm not sure that they'd go either way there. Then I thought about Lindholm, and eventually landed on Backlund because of Sutter.

All I can do is guess, though, and roster changes are also a variable.

Love.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It seems that they know something the teams impacted don't.  🙂 

I like some of the picks but see a middling team right now.

Not that we are any better, but I think scoring will be an issue for them.

Heard that Seattle is trading Gio for Strome out of NY.

That would be dumb.

Gio should be worth more than that.

I disagree. Times have changed. A teams's core is what you can build upon.

The bottom 14 is inevitably more important than your Top 5.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Karma for losing Engelland last time.

Actually, Gourde may be the best player.

No kidding.  Talk about some teams losing a pending UFA that they were going to lose anyways.  Unreal.  Why didn't the Kraken select another player and then sign those UFA during the UFA window?

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

No kidding.  Talk about some teams losing a pending UFA that they were going to lose anyways.  Unreal.  Why didn't the Kraken select another player and then sign those UFA during the UFA window?

3 Days Away: Free Agency Arrives Early (nhl.com)

The exclusive window allows the Kraken brain trust to meet with and sign pending free agents who are unprotected by their current team. If the Kraken sign a player in that exclusive window, it will count as their pick from the player's former team.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Some of them I get.  

Oleksiak would have cost a ton more as a UFA, and more likely would just be re-signed by Dallas.

Larsson is actually a smart pick, and may have gone elsewhere as a UFA.

What I don't get is why Bean wasn't picked from CAR.

Is there compensation not identified yet?

Like an agreed upon trade, like you take this and we will trade for him with that?

Why Pitlick in ARI?

5 years ago when we re-signed Gio to a 6 yr $40.5M deal not many liked the 6th year of that deal except Gio. If we had known then that an expansion team would take him off our hands the final year of his contract then it was a slam dunk re-signing. If Gio stayed this season he would have still been good value here while leading the team one more year. Gio is a leader, seeing him show up live on the Seattle stage was not surprising, he is a solid dude. The Kraken have added a great dman this season. We had to give up somebody. The team will definitely miss Gio but the Flames were forced to turn the page. All the best Gio and thank you for the great many years.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Be interning to see tomorrow what type of deals Seattle made, but first glance it looks like they left a lot on the table. That or the rest of the GMs played hardball and won. 

Is there any type of disclosure rule that may reveal any of these back door deals?

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

Right.  My REAL question was, why didn't Seattle negotiate a wink wink nudge nudge deal with the player and then pick another player from that team?... so when UFA season begins for all teams, then Seattle and the player completes the deal.  Seattle gains an additional player.