Seattle Expansion Draft

JTech780

Fleury didn’t come with the horrible contract Price does though. They’d owe him 11 mill right away in a bonus and that deal is really hard to buy out. 
Fleury was a slam dunk, I wouldn’t be interested in price if I were Seattle. 

This seems to be the year that teams expose their worst contracts.

STL wanted to trade Tarasenko, noe they expose him.

MTL exposing Price.

In some ways, this is so smart.

Low risk of guys being claimed.

Allows other players to be kept protected.

Seems teams have figured out that offering assets to protect a player may not be the best move.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Wow, I know it's reported the Kraken are signing Driedger, but I didn't think they'd get a shot at a legit #1 like Price. 

Fleury was 33 when VGK landed him, Price is 33.

Can't wait for Wednesday!

OMG. 🤯

Didnt see that one coming… Price is a BC boy as well, so I can see him being ok with being selected. A legit #1. I know his contract is huge, but Carey price IS the Montreal Canadians. Mind blown. I think the kraken take him. They’re under pressure to repeat what Vegas did. 

2 hours ago, lou44291 said:

OMG. 🤯

Didnt see that one coming… Price is a BC boy as well, so I can see him being ok with being selected. A legit #1. I know his contract is huge, but Carey price IS the Montreal Canadians. Mind blown. I think the kraken take him. They’re under pressure to repeat what Vegas did. 

What is to stop Seattle from selecting Price, to turn around and trade him at a reduced price ( 🙂 ) for a big haul.

Price at $10m is a trade anchor.

Price at $5m is what?

Yeah, it a bit more than those round numbers, but the point is the same.

Next year, Price's actual is much less than his cap.

How many teams need a real starter?

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What is to stop Seattle from selecting Price, to turn around and trade him at a reduced price ( 🙂 ) for a big haul.

Price at $10m is a trade anchor.

Price at $5m is what?

Yeah, it a bit more than those round numbers, but the point is the same.

Next year, Price's actual is much less than his cap.

How many teams need a real starter?

Price waived his NMC only for expansion, it’s back in place once they select him. Would need his consent to be moved anywhere. 

9 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Well either way Lucic or Gio are probably the two best Cgy has to leave exposed and I’m pretty sure one of those two will be taken, and it frees up 5-6 mil…I’m hoping gio is taken then we can look at some younger options on the D

9 hours ago, cross16 said:

Price waived his NMC only for expansion, it’s back in place once they select him. Would need his consent to be moved anywhere. 

Lol what is to say this is not a back door deal where they trade him back to Mlt and retain salary? 

Given that both Leddy and Keith generated trade value I have a hard time seeing the Kraken passing on Gio. I think they take him and flip him for assets elsewhere. 

I like Phillips but taking him over the chance to land a couple of draft picks? That would make no sense to me. 

of course this assumes the flames don’t make a trade to keep him which is still possible 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Given that both Leddy and Keith generated trade value I have a hard time seeing the Kraken passing on Gio. I think they take him and flip him for assets elsewhere. 

I like Phillips but taking him over the chance to land a couple of draft picks? That would make no sense to me. 

of course this assumes the flames don’t make a trade to keep him which is still possible 

Try but wasn’t Phillips a 1st round pick? I don’t think you gonna get much from a Gio flip maybe a 2nd

16 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Try but wasn’t Phillips a 1st round pick? I don’t think you gonna get much from a Gio flip maybe a 2nd

6th rounder. 
I think your looking at a 2nd plus another asset. He should be worth more than Leddy, especially if Seattle’s eats any money 

16 minutes ago, cross16 said:

6th rounder. 
I think your looking at a 2nd plus another asset. He should be worth more than Leddy, especially if Seattle’s eats any money 

Well also he’s a perfect add on this trade deadline, being as he’s a vet and last year of his contract…pretty sure a contender would give up a second to add Gio to a playoff run…I think? 

in an ideal world, Seattle would help us out by taking Lucic and maybe we could throw them a 2nd (I think we have an extra) to take him…that way we could keep Gio on the the 3rd pairing then trade him for a second if we are out of the race

I think the Kraken will end up with a pretty good team.

Nashville stands out as a team that I could see making a side deal. I think they will incentivize the Kraken to take Johansen or Duchene. Probably a 1st, additional picks and a young player.

Philadelphia too. I think they'd like to move on from any of JVR/Voracek/Ghost. Free up some money in a potential Landeskog pursuit.

Then there's Tampa. They have some good players available, Killorn/Palat/Gourde. Tampa will want them to take Johnson. If I was Seattle, I'd simply just take Cal Foote or Palat unless TB makes it worth my while. Gourde has too much term and Killorn will be coming off injury. If they take Palat, they get a legit top 6 winger, with only 1yr left. Potential TDL move.

The STL pick will be interesting. Dunn or Tarasenko. I would lean Dunn, younger and he's without injury concern.

15 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think the Kraken will end up with a pretty good team.

Nashville stands out as a team that I could see making a side deal. I think they will incentivize the Kraken to take Johansen or Duchene. Probably a 1st, additional picks and a young player.

Philadelphia too. I think they'd like to move on from any of JVR/Voracek/Ghost. Free up some money in a potential Landeskog pursuit.

Then there's Tampa. They have some good players available, Killorn/Palat/Gourde. Tampa will want them to take Johnson. If I was Seattle, I'd simply just take Cal Foote or Palat unless TB makes it worth my while. Gourde has too much term and Killorn will be coming off injury. If they take Palat, they get a legit top 6 winger, with only 1yr left. Potential TDL move.

The STL pick will be interesting. Dunn or Tarasenko. I would lean Dunn, younger and he's without injury concern.

I agree, but I’m hoping they don’t and BT makes a move for Dunn I think he’s a reasonable price and solid bottom 3 pair…this way we could move on from Stone.

The other thing I find interesting from all teams, is their protected list gives an idea of each teams core and some players that may be available, there are a few names besides Dunn if like to see BT go after.

12 hours ago, cross16 said:

I doubt they take him regardless, but if they did...

Price may be inclined to play for a different team; money isn't a factor, just location and cup contender status.

I doubt MTL trades after the fact ti get him back, though (if allowed) it would be expensive, but would solve some cap issues.

It's an interesting twist.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think it would be a mistake if the Flames made a deal to keep Gio.  His value is this year, as any future deal has risks.

We won't be able to recoup any traded assets to keep him, unless we turn around and trade him.

That's fine, but we are down the player we wanted to keep.

What about let him go then resign him next yr at a cheaper deal if he wants to retire here i think 3.5 at his age is a great deal or there bouts. I have no desire to see him go but as most here seem to think he is of no Value any more I how ever don't agree with that assessment. I guess I am more of a fan with little knowledge of the business end of things I am a fan of everything Gio has done here in all aspects off and on the ice and I truly believe he will be missed not his 6 M I get that but seems most players in his ability range will demand that range of payment me thinks. I wouldn't be surprised to see the kraken heads offer him more to resign next yr   

51 minutes ago, zima said:

What about let him go then resign him next yr at a cheaper deal if he wants to retire here i think 3.5 at his age is a great deal or there bouts. I have no desire to see him go but as most here seem to think he is of no Value any more I how ever don't agree with that assessment. I guess I am more of a fan with little knowledge of the business end of things I am a fan of everything Gio has done here in all aspects off and on the ice and I truly believe he will be missed not his 6 M I get that but seems most players in his ability range will demand that range of payment me thinks. I wouldn't be surprised to see the kraken heads offer him more to resign next yr   

I’d say if he is taken and wants to play out one more season at age 39 he’s looking at 1.5-2 as a 3rd pair D…age is slowing him down but he would be a serviceable 3rd D at 2 mil or less 3 or 3.5 is way too high for a 39 year old

Here's my attempt at the Kraken. Didn't do side deals because they are impossible to predict.

-The Kraken select Max Domi and Carey Price, with the understanding both will miss the start of the season. My lineup below is when the team is healthy

Zucker-Domi-Palat

Ritchie-McCann-Bailey

Blackwell-Tierney-Donskoi

Jarnkrok-Eakin-Fischer

Giordano-Demelo

Dunn-Soucy

Bean-Stecher

Price

Driedger

Other picks included, Haydn Fleury, Zadorov, Tyler Benson, Jonah Gadjovich, Vitek Vanecek, Kurtis MacDermid, Nathan Bastian, Dylan Gambrell

I tried to avoid term, Price has the most term remaining, 5yrs. Demelo has 3. Every other player is 2yrs or less.

If they look to sell at the deadline, Gio, Domi, Palat, McCann, Tierney, Eakin all are pending UFA that could appeal to contenders

8 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Alternative would've been,

Gaudreau

Tkachuk

Lindholm

Mangiapane

Giordano

Tanev

Hanifin

Andersson

Markstrom

We lose one of,

Monahan

Backlund

Dube

I have to question if Monahan even gets us a 1st round pick in a trade.

Backlund shouldn't get us a 1st.

Dube possible.  I would pick Dube here if I was Seattle.  Dube vs Giordano...