Seattle Expansion Draft

JTech780

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Do we really need to make a trade before?

We traded Bennett, who was the default unprotected player.

We don't really have a NHL player we need to protect by exposing Backlund.

Pretty much.

The only reason to expose Backlund is if we want to trade him and think we can't.  Again, it's not a great contract because the Flames have enjoyed the best parts of his contract already.  But still.

16 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I'm okay exposing Backlund to Seattle because I think his cap hit will pose a problem in his final season.  At 32, he's already visibly slowing down and less effective (but I know Cross is going to show me advanced stats to prove me wrong).  Anyways, I dread a Giordano situation where the wall comes faster than anticipated and then we are stuck with him.

Biggest problem for me however, is protecting Gawdin.  He's not NHL material.  At 24, I think we've taken a glimpse of what he can be and it's very low ceiling.  There's no real reason to believe he'll make it to the NHL with any impact.  We should protect Philips instead at the very least.

It also depends which direction this franchise chooses to go.  If we tanking, then Backlund helps us win games right now and so he needs to go.

Backlund has slowed some. Not a lot and he’s still been their best center this year (yes including Lindholm). 

I am fine with the idea of moving Backlund before his contract becomes a problem, which I agree it likely will. I however believe he is still valuable in trade because there is always a team out there that will overpay for a center, especially one like Backs. 

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

Backlund has slowed some. Not a lot and he’s still been their best center this year (yes including Lindholm). 

I am fine with the idea of moving Backlund before his contract becomes a problem, which I agree it likely will. I however believe he is still valuable in trade because there is always a team out there that will overpay for a center, especially one like Backs. 

That's my take as well.  Losing a player like him when we aren't protecting anyone of equivalent level makes no sense.

We lack effective RW's, so if we are using him in the 3 slot, then trade for a top 6 RW.

Or another top 4D to replace Gio.

Valimaki is still a bit too far away from being a top 2 D.

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

That's my take as well.  Losing a player like him when we aren't protecting anyone of equivalent level makes no sense.

We lack effective RW's, so if we are using him in the 3 slot, then trade for a top 6 RW.

Or another top 4D to replace Gio.

Valimaki is still a bit too far away from being a top 2 D.

I think they are using Backlund wrong this year and of course he’s going to take a step back playing with the kind of players he has been. He’d (maybe) have a few more points with Tkachuk... Lucic has been consistent but he’s not Tkachuk when Tkachuk is on. 

I think we will still lose a lot if we trade him...  but if he can get a top 6 RW, maybe it’s something to think about.

i just hope it isn’t the only change they’d make...

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I think the odds the Flames move Backlund this offseason are small. Some of the smallest of their entire roster honestly. 

Agreed.

He doesn't add any value in any trade so he's not a throw in.

He's not highly sought after around the league so no one will be asking for him.

He's not a pending UFA or anything as a rental.

He's aging.

If we retool/rebuild, then he's a solid veteran mentor.  Moving Backlund is simply not a priority.

29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Agreed.

He doesn't add any value in any trade so he's not a throw in.

He's not highly sought after around the league so no one will be asking for him.

He's not a pending UFA or anything as a rental.

He's aging.

If we retool/rebuild, then he's a solid veteran mentor.  Moving Backlund is simply not a priority.

I don’t see it that way. I’m not suggested he’s super valuable but I do think he’d draw interest on the market. Good centers always do and his contract is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. 

I more see it as there’s no way Sutter would want to see his best two way center leave. 

16 hours ago, cross16 said:

I don’t see it that way. I’m not suggested he’s super valuable but I do think he’d draw interest on the market. Good centers always do and his contract is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. 

I more see it as there’s no way Sutter would want to see his best two way center leave. 

Just by quickly doing a redraft of Backlund’s draft, he’d have gone too 10 instead of where he went. 

interesting. 

some players before him had better starts to their careers but their plateau and drop off was early. 

I think Backlund is doing a lot better than earlier. Also he’s obviously going to look better with Tkachuk than Looch, but he’s also propping Looch up. I see Backlund and Ryan as similar players, but Backs is taller and better. 

I think you still need him. I still think he’s the best C we have. He makes anyone he plays with better...

• 2 weeks later...

It's an Eric Francis article, but a look at the expansion draft for the Flames. Biggest nugget is that Lucic confirms he has already agreed to waive his NMC for the expansion draft. 

While I don't trust him as an insider I do find it interesting that he does seem to believe Gio will be exposed. That makes sense, but I wasn't convinced it would be an option.

“As much as I want to stay in Calgary I didn’t want to handcuff Tree (GM Brad Treliving) in the expansion draft so I agreed that I would waive it for the expansion draft if he didn’t want to protect me,” Lucic told Sportsnet.ca.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/need-retool-flames-roster-affects-seattle-expansion-draft-situation/

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

It's an Eric Francis article, but a look at the expansion draft for the Flames. Biggest nugget is that Lucic confirms he has already agreed to waive his NMC for the expansion draft. 

While I don't trust him as an insider I do find it interesting that he does seem to believe Gio will be exposed. That makes sense, but I wasn't convinced it would be an option.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/need-retool-flames-roster-affects-seattle-expansion-draft-situation/

I think he is speculating about Gio.

It doesn't make much sense for Seattle to claim Gio.

He could retire sooner than contract end if he didn't want to continue in a new city.

At best, they would get his leadership for a year with the option of re-signing him during the year.

While that makes sense, it's a big risk for them to take on Gio.

If we exposed Tanev, he would be more likely to be claimed IMHO.

Team guy, puts others ahead of him.

Lived on the Left Coast, so it's not like it would be a major change for him.

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I sorta want to lose Tanev instead of Giordano.  My reason, Giordano will be bad next season... and we need to be really bad next season...

Right guys?

Bad in 2 years you mean?

I think Tanev should be the C on this team.

If you want to do badly, keep Gio and Backlund playing top inutes.

Let the keep their letters.

Nobody is taking him in the expansion draft. 

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Bad in 2 years you mean?

I think Tanev should be the C on this team.

If you want to do badly, keep Gio and Backlund playing top inutes.

Let the keep their letters.

Nobody is taking him in the expansion draft. 

Next year is Shane Wright's draft.  There's 3 franchise Centers ranked in the top 3 actually.  So, we need to be bad FOR two years.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Next year is Shane Wright's draft.  There's 3 franchise Centers ranked in the top 3 actually.  So, we need to be bad FOR two years.

Okay, wasn't sure on Wright.

As I said, keeping Gio playing top pairing minutes should keep us down.

Playing a style of game where your goalie needs to be almost perfect should help.

Markstrom would have been a better goalie for a team that can score.

He keeps teams in it, as long as they can score.

If we actually want to improve the team, ship Gio and Backlund.

Pick the small forwards you actually want to keep and build around them.

Gaudreau, Mangiapane, Dube, Phillips, Pelletier....

That adds up to 3 regular NHL players in size.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Okay, wasn't sure on Wright.

As I said, keeping Gio playing top pairing minutes should keep us down.

Playing a style of game where your goalie needs to be almost perfect should help.

Markstrom would have been a better goalie for a team that can score.

He keeps teams in it, as long as they can score.

If we actually want to improve the team, ship Gio and Backlund.

Pick the small forwards you actually want to keep and build around them.

Gaudreau, Mangiapane, Dube, Phillips, Pelletier....

That adds up to 3 regular NHL players in size.

Ya agreed.  Tanev actually helps us win so losing him helps.  Hope we expose him.  We signed him UFA anyways so didn't give up assets in a trade.

Backlund as well.  He's still a solid skater so he eats minutes while rarely ever scoring.  Elevating Backlund to #1 Center alone could do the trick.

31 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya agreed.  Tanev actually helps us win so losing him helps.  Hope we expose him.  We signed him UFA anyways so didn't give up assets in a trade.

Backlund as well.  He's still a solid skater so he eats minutes while rarely ever scoring.  Elevating Backlund to #1 Center alone could do the trick.

Both of those could backfire.

3M was the best 5v5 line we had.

Going back to just Gio means we focus on scoring again.

2018/19 wasn't due to Mike Smith, it was having Tkachuk play a defensive role and stirring up crap.

21 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Both of those could backfire.

3M was the best 5v5 line we had.

Going back to just Gio means we focus on scoring again.

2018/19 wasn't due to Mike Smith, it was having Tkachuk play a defensive role and stirring up crap.

I assume we've traded Tkachuk, Gaudreau, and Monahan for picks and prospects by the start of next season.

29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I assume we've traded Tkachuk, Gaudreau, and Monahan for picks and prospects by the start of next season.

Oh right, complete teardown.

Being realistic, I don't see it happening.

Could see Gio or Tanev waived.

Whatever the plan is, I hope they get it right.

Maloney isn't doing much to help BT.

Pleau is a tool by his evaluation of players we have gone after.

Bean might be the problem more than the owners.

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That would be a huge mistake on our part IMHO.

Depends though.  If we trying to win the Cup next season then Giordano needs to stay.  Giordano is trending down but if i'm not mistaken, he still scored the highest advanced stats on the whole blueline.  He doesn't score as many points anymore because he can't join the rush as often.  Has to preserve stamina for an 82-game season.  He still defends very well otherwise.

Bottom line is, we have no successor to him so.  

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Depends though.  If we trying to win the Cup next season then Giordano needs to stay.  Giordano is trending down but if i'm not mistaken, he still scored the highest advanced stats on the whole blueline.  He doesn't score as many points anymore because he can't join the rush as often.  Has to preserve stamina for an 82-game season.  He still defends very well otherwise.

Bottom line is, we have no successor to him so.  

Are you willing to give up a 1st to protect Gio?

If you want to believe that Seattle wants Gio, then you need to be keenly aware of the impact to the long term plans.

It's a bluff I would be willing to call them on.

They will hit their cap requirements without picking a 38 year old on a one year deal.

The only thing i would say is that if we protect him, we would only do it (should do it) if we can get a 1st for him at TDL.

That is also only if the cost to protect him is less than that.

I will be honest, I didn't see the great impact of Gio in the playoffs.

The only year we won a round was the year he didn't play.

I don't read too much into that, but I do keep it in mind.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Are you willing to give up a 1st to protect Gio?

If you want to believe that Seattle wants Gio, then you need to be keenly aware of the impact to the long term plans.

It's a bluff I would be willing to call them on.

They will hit their cap requirements without picking a 38 year old on a one year deal.

The only thing i would say is that if we protect him, we would only do it (should do it) if we can get a 1st for him at TDL.

That is also only if the cost to protect him is less than that.

I will be honest, I didn't see the great impact of Gio in the playoffs.

The only year we won a round was the year he didn't play.

I don't read too much into that, but I do keep it in mind.

of course won't cost a 1st to protect Gio but likely a 2nd... and I think we all agree that's a mistake.  But it's one mistake that I can see BT make because ma playoffs.