Seattle Expansion Draft

JTech780

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Right.  My REAL question was, why didn't Seattle negotiate a wink wink nudge nudge deal with the player and then pick another player from that team?... so when UFA season begins for all teams, then Seattle and the player completes the deal.  Seattle gains an additional player.

i think a few reasons. 
what is that was the only player they actually wanted from that club. 

Those handshake deals can go away quickly with 1 phone call on the open market. Is the additional player worth the risk of losing exclusivity?

Is that really above board? While legal yes, does that harm his ability to do a deal with that team in the future if he isn’t forthcoming?

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Trues.  Giordano seems among the top 3 or 4 best... which is sad considering we weren't even a playoff team.  We lost a better player than Cup contenders.

Have to see how things shake out. Based on who was available to draft I would have viewed Gio as a middle of the pack expansion asset. While he is probably top 3-4 in notoriety I think it’s debatable how valuable a 38 year old player on a 1 year deal is to an expansion franchise.  

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

i think a few reasons. 
what is that was the only player they actually wanted from that club. 

Those handshake deals can go away quickly with 1 phone call on the open market. Is the additional player worth the risk of losing exclusivity?

Is that really above board? While legal yes, does that harm his ability to do a deal with that team in the future if he isn’t forthcoming?

Fair enough plus, we'll have to see once UFA season begins.  For all we know, they may have completed a handshake deal with several UFAs and already did pick up an extra player or three.

Rumor currently is that Seattle made no side deals. Hard to believe with some of the players they left on the table. That said, they have real cap space to go after a guy like Hamilton or Landeskog now, maybe both. While I don't think the Kraken are as strong as the knights were, they may make the playoffs given the dreck that is the Pacific division. If they sign both Hamilton and Landeskog, and their goaltending holds up, they will contend for the division title.

While it sucks to lose Gio, the team needs a culture shake up. Could be a blessing in disguise.

11 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Rumor currently is that Seattle made no side deals. Hard to believe with some of the players they left on the table. That said, they have real cap space to go after a guy like Hamilton or Landeskog now, maybe both. While I don't think the Kraken are as strong as the knights were, they may make the playoffs given the dreck that is the Pacific division. If they sign both Hamilton and Landeskog, and their goaltending holds up, they will contend for the division title.

While it sucks to lose Gio, the team needs a culture shake up. Could be a blessing in disguise.

Maybe they do go after Hamilton because their only other legit RD is Larsson.  Plus, Giordano-Hamilton have proven chemistry together so that might be one option they are considering.

That said, the Kraken have a TON of LD.  Are we looking at,

Giordano - Hamilton

Oleksiak - Larsson

Dunn - Macdermid/Soucy/??

I mean, that's a decent looking group.  Dreidger arguably outplayed Bobrovsky in FLA so they've got a potential stud in goal.  Just their D and G, I would say they are off to a great start.  When building a team, start from the back out and that's exactly what the Kraken have done.

On forward, they took a lot of RHS.  They could get a lot of value in trades because of it.  Smart.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Maybe they do go after Hamilton because their only other legit RD is Larsson.  Plus, Giordano-Hamilton have proven chemistry together so that might be one option they are considering.

Giordano - Hamilton

Oleksiak - Larsson

I mean, that's a decent looking group.  Dreidger arguably outplayed Bobrovsky in FLA so they've got a potential stud in goal.  Just their D and G, I would say they are off to a great start.  When building a team, start from the back out and that's exactly what the Kraken have done.

On forward, they took a lot of RHS.  They could get a lot of value in trades because of it.  Smart.

Not to mention, the amount of bite they have in the forward ranks. They seem to have went after the kind of bite that grinds teams down and will be supplementing it with a little bit of offence. And like some suggest here, if they add someone like Landeskog to go with Eberle, it's not a great 1st line, but Eberle can score. 

How will the Fleury brothers be and are they more for future? 

To me it looks like they went for a team that will be very hard to play against and grind out wins in a pacific division. They're going to be harder to play against than the Flames are, that's for sure. We only tend to sign one or two guys with bite to make up for the lack of it. But if they can't score, maybe they win a lot of 2-1 or 3-2 games.

I think that Seattle did what you should do at the start.  Get the best D available from teams and pending UFA's.

The goalies selected are okay, nothing to write home about.  Yet.

That doesn't scream competing this year.

There cup window hasn't been defined yet, so there is no reason to rush it.

Most of the team is on very short terms.

A few guys were there in person, and are probably some of the higher profile guys.

Doubt you see any of them traded any time soon.

Gio looked star struck, but no doubt is a lock for C.

This will be a building year for Seattle.  Find fit and finish.

Have enough scoring right now to keep it interesting, but its going to take tweaking and trades.

(sorry Seattle for the reference to tweaking, probably a sore point)

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Giordano - Hamilton

Oleksiak - Larsson

Dunn-Soucy, I'd say those 2 are only 3rd pairing guys because of Minny and St. Loos D depth. Both solid dmen. Their D looks really good. A couple of their young centers have a chance to be keepers(Geekie, True). Don't get the Philly or CHI picks, but they're likely smarter than me.

Gourde-McCann-Eberle is a pretty solid 2nd line.

Tanev-Appleton-Donskoi?

Not terrible lines.

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Dunn-Soucy, I'd say those 2 are only 3rd pairing guys because of Minny and St. Loos D depth. Both solid dmen. Their D looks really good. A couple of their young centers have a chance to be keepers(Geekie, True). Don't get the Philly or CHI picks, but they're likely smarter than me.

Tanev-Appleton-Donskoi?

Not terrible lines.

Not to mention they are most likely drafting benniers this year as a future top 6 Center man with size. The Columbus pick also was a head scratcher for me, I thought for sure it would be stenlund.

• Like 1

With no side deals some of their picks are real head scratchers. Have to see the rest of the plan come together but so far I’m not sure Francis is off to a great start. 

but I do think Vegas set a bar that is not attainable again. Seattle seems more the norm of what an expansion franchise should be faced with. 

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

With no side deals some of their picks are real head scratchers. Have to see the rest of the plan come together but so far I’m not sure Francis is off to a great start. 

but I do think Vegas set a bar that is not attainable again. Seattle seems more the norm of what an expansion franchise should be faced with. 

i have a feeling he wanted to start with a hard to play against/character team. Those players sound easier to find than I think they actually are. It’s hard to draft them because kids are hard to project. So now they have them and maybe a lot are deadline deals for teams wanting hard nosed depth players? 

we keep saying it’s easy to fill role player positions but seem to only sign guys as one designated piece to fill the need, whereas they now have full lines that can do that. 

my guess is they believe in their 2nd overall selection and possibly have a few trades or signings ready to go. Maybe a Dunn or someone for a 2nd line scorer? Or picks or prospects? Just examples… 

I hear some saying Dunn is ready to bump up a lineup as he played behind some good D. So there’s the hope some other teams see it the same maybe?

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Tanev-Appleton-Donskoi?

Not terrible lines.

Now that Seattle has Dunne and we don't have Gio, the fit may be more obvious now.

I was keen on making a play for Dunne, but knew it would create an even more extreme exposure situation.

Not sure of the cost, as they have players all over the map.

Any takers?

I am emotional seeing Gio taken.

Other than Iginla he is the only captain of this team I have known. Whatever your feelings are toward him this is definitely the end of an era and I wish him the best of luck in Washington state.

That said this leaves us with a little cap to play with and seeing as EDM has given Hyman a deal until he's liver-spotted i hope we are much more intelligent with it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i have a feeling he wanted to start with a hard to play against/character team. Those players sound easier to find than I think they actually are. It’s hard to draft them because kids are hard to project. So now they have them and maybe a lot are deadline deals for teams wanting hard nosed depth players? 

we keep saying it’s easy to fill role player positions but seem to only sign guys as one designated piece to fill the need, whereas they now have full lines that can do that. 

my guess is they believe in their 2nd overall selection and possibly have a few trades or signings ready to go. Maybe a Dunn or someone for a 2nd line scorer? Or picks or prospects? Just examples… 

I hear some saying Dunn is ready to bump up a lineup as he played behind some good D. So there’s the hope some other teams see it the same maybe?

like I said it is early and there could be more moves to come. I hope there is because all I’m saying is I think the draft itself left a lot of he desired for the kraken. 

looks like they are either banking on trades or plan to go heavy into UFA or using their cap space. Could work but the fact they weren’t able to extract more picks I think is troublesome. Apparently flyers tried to pay them to take ghost but the price was higher than what they gave the coyotoes. That feels like a miss. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cross16 said:

While I somewhat agree, Francis has to not just build an NHL team but an AHL/Prospect pool as well.

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

like I said it is early and there could be more moves to come. I hope there is because all I’m saying is I think the draft itself left a lot of he desired for the kraken. 

looks like they are either banking on trades or plan to go heavy into UFA or using their cap space. Could work but the fact they weren’t able to extract more picks I think is troublesome. Apparently flyers tried to pay them to take ghost but the price was higher than what they gave the coyotoes. That feels like a miss. 

Seattle picks Pitlick and gets a 4th for it.  Not exactly a win.  If you are looking to make deals for some of the player you pick, then why not take ones that have greater value.  Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of their choices at D.  A few of the forwards are players I would like to have.  Just doesn't scream trades.  

Bottom 6 RW. Not a lot of offence, doesn’t take many penalties but seems defensively responsible. Not great possession metrics but gets mainly D zone starts and is a career +12 including seasons with Edmonton and Arizona.

For a 4th round pick, cap hit is a little high for what he does, but averages about 2 hits and 1 block shot per game in his career.

Could be much worse, but could also be better.