Seattle Expansion Draft

JTech780

Now that we are through the trade deadline the next big event for the Flames will be the expansion draft.

First lets lay out some of the rules for the expansion draft. 

Exposure Requirements: Forwards/Defense: Two forwards must be left unprotected who are under contract in 2021-22 and have met one of the two following requirements: 1. Played 27+ games in the 2020-21 season, or 2. Played 70+ games in the 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons.

Goaltenders: One goalie must be left unprotected who is under contract in 2021-22 or is an RFA at the end of 2020-21.

Protection Rules: Teams can protect 7 forwards, 3 defense, and 1 goalie, or they can protect 8 skaters and 1 goalie. Players with NMC must be protected unless they agree to waive their NMC for the expansion draft.

Brad Treliving has mentioned that he is most likely going to protect 7 forwards, 3 defense and 1 goalie.

Forwards who can be exposed: (Green denotes that the player meets the exposure requirements)

Matthew Tkachuk

Johnny Gaudreau

Sean Monahan

Mikael Backlund

Milan Lucic (NMC)

Elias Lindholm

Andrew Mangiapane

Derek Ryan (UFA)

Josh Leivo (UFA)

Dillon Dube (RFA)

Matthew Phillips (RFA) 27GR

Byron Froese 21GR

Justin Kirkland (RFA) 27GR

Dominik Simon (RFA) 

Glenn Gawdin (RFA) 22GR

Buddy Robinson (UFA) 23GR

Zac Rinaldo (UFA) 23GR

Brett Ritchie (UFA) 10GR

Joakim Nordstrom (UFA)

Sepncer Foo (RFA) 27GR

Defense:

Mark Giordano

Noah Hanifin

Rasmus Andersson

Chris Tanev

Oliver Kylington (RFA)

Alex Petrovic (UFA) 27GR

Michael Stone (UFA) 15GR

Nikita Nesterov (UFA)

Goaltender:

Jacob Markstrom (NMC)

Tyler Parsons

Louis Domingue (UFA)

If you want to look at this list you can also go to  Seattle Expansion Draft Simulator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps    

My protection list:

Matthew Tkachuk

Johnny Gaudreau

Sean Monahan

Mikael Backlund

Elias Lindholm

Andrew Mangipane

Dillon Dube

Noah Hanifin

Rasmus Andersson

Chris Tanev

Jacob Markstrom

I am hoping that Lucic will waive his NMC. To meet the exposure requirements we will have to either re-sign Simon or Ritchie and Ritchie will have to play 10 more games, signing Ritchie seems more likely.

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

My protection list:

Matthew Tkachuk

Johnny Gaudreau

Sean Monahan

Mikael Backlund

Elias Lindholm

Andrew Mangipane

Dillon Dube

Noah Hanifin

Rasmus Andersson

Chris Tanev

Jacob Markstrom

I am hoping that Lucic will waive his NMC. To meet the exposure requirements we will have to either re-sign Simon or Ritchie and Ritchie will have to play 10 more games, signing Ritchie seems more likely.

I think they qualify Kylington and let the other D walk.  Nothing really there that stood out.

For forwards, they qualify and sign Dube and Gawdin.  I'm not sure what they feel about Simon, as his play was mixed and only under Ward.

Qualifying him allow him to be exposed.

For UFA's, I suspect they try to re-sign Leivo and Nordstrom before the expansion draft, while Ryan will be after.

That gives Ryan the option of destinations, but also gives Seattle the option to blow their pick on a UFA.

Based on today's roster, I think your list is exactly the direction they go in.

You don't bring in Tanev and have him be your best D-man only to expose him.

On 4/13/2021 at 8:05 PM, JTech780 said:

My protection list:

Matthew Tkachuk

Johnny Gaudreau

Sean Monahan

Mikael Backlund

Elias Lindholm

Andrew Mangipane

Dillon Dube

Noah Hanifin

Rasmus Andersson

Chris Tanev

Jacob Markstrom

That would be my list, with Bennett now gone guess we got to find someone to expose in the forwards.

what do they do with Parsons?

28 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

That would be my list, with Bennett now gone guess we got to find someone to expose in the forwards.

what do they do with Parsons?

I think they are pretty comfortable exposing him, hard to see Seattle claiming him unless he gets in a few games this year and plays lights out which I don't see happening.

Parsons will for sure be exposed, they need to in order to satisfy the goalie exposure requirement. That or they'd have to re sign Dominque for another year but Parsons wouldn't get claimed anyway so he'll get exposed. 

I think the Flames protect list is pretty straightforward now, at least for me, but it woudn't shock me if the club protects Gio or works a deal with Seattle to take a certain player. Gio would not get claimed I don't think, but it's also very much a Flames style move to value him more than they should. That's the only scenario I see here. 

a forward is going to need to get signed in order to be exposed and it will need to be 1 of Simon, Nordstrom or Ryan so look for that.  

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Parsons will for sure be exposed, they need to in order to satisfy the goalie exposure requirement. That or they'd have to re sign Dominque for another year but Parsons wouldn't get claimed anyway so he'll get exposed. 

I think the Flames protect list is pretty straightforward now, at least for me, but it woudn't shock me if the club protects Gio or works a deal with Seattle to take a certain player. Gio would not get claimed I don't think, but it's also very much a Flames style move to value him more than they should. That's the only scenario I see here. 

a forward is going to need to get signed in order to be exposed and it will need to be 1 of Simon, Nordstrom or Ryan so look for that.  

I think they value Nordstrom fairly high, so I would not be surprised him getting another deal.

Simon never really clicked, but he's under control unless they don't offer the QO.

Ryan, I think they wait and do it once the expansion is over.

Not ideal, but you have to give him a chance to go home and still make some money; give him an idea of the offer from CGY though.

I think that's allowed.

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

If Ritchie plays in 8 of the remaining 12 games he meets the games played criteria, so I would add him to the list of players who could get signed to be exposed. I also think he has fit quite well with Sutter, so I could see him get re-signed regardless.

My gut tells me we lose an unprotected defender to Seattle. Gio isn’t what he was, but an expansion team can afford his cap hit for a year, and they need some name recognition and veteran presence. Plus he probably could be swapped for a decent return at the trade deadline on an expiring contract. That’s assuming Gio is exposed. Tanev, Anderson or Hanifin would be no brainers. Part of me wonders if we do decide to rebuild if we might expose Tanev to clear us of the risk that he falls off and free up some cap space.

So, I was reading a story on FN, and it appears that Gawdin, Phillips, and Kirkland don't meet the exposure requirements.

Does that mean that Seattle can't select them because they are not eligible?

If so, then the idea that Phillips is being hidden in the AHL seems to have no merit.

With Bennett gone, there isn't a lot to choose from:  Parsons (RFA), Kylington (RFA), and Ryan (UFA - assuming he's either re-signed or selected as a UFA). 

36 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, I was reading a story on FN, and it appears that Gawdin, Phillips, and Kirkland don't meet the exposure requirements.

Does that mean that Seattle can't select them because they are not eligible?

If so, then the idea that Phillips is being hidden in the AHL seems to have no merit.

With Bennett gone, there isn't a lot to choose from:  Parsons (RFA), Kylington (RFA), and Ryan (UFA - assuming he's either re-signed or selected as a UFA). 

My understanding is that they can still be selected, they just don't count toward our minimum exposure requirements, so Phillips could still be taken. Don't forget we have 4 defense (Gio, Anderson, Hanifin, Tanev) with one being exposed, and I would think there's a good chance whoever we do expose gets taken.

44 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

My understanding is that they can still be selected, they just don't count toward our minimum exposure requirements, so Phillips could still be taken. Don't forget we have 4 defense (Gio, Anderson, Hanifin, Tanev) with one being exposed, and I would think there's a good chance whoever we do expose gets taken.

Thanks.  I wasn't sure about that.

From an asset management perspective, exposing Gio has little risk.  No team is selecting a 38 year old D-man for their future.

Engelland was a Vegas guy, and was the poster child.

Ryan is much more likely, even if he is a lesser known talent.

36 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

This is correct. Exposure and eligibility are 2 different things. Phillips is eligible and the Flames need to sign an additional forward to meet the exposure requirements as you need to have 2 forward who are under contract (not RFA they need to be under contract) for next season. 

It won't surprise me if the Flames flip a piece over to Seattle to take Kylington. I don't think Seattle would have a lot of interest in Gio outside of what they could get at the trade deadline, which is why flipping a piece now to get them to take Kylington solves that. 

If the Flames want to rebuild, doubt it, then exposing Tanev and losing him is not the end of the world at all. Doubt it happens though. 

Canadian Expansion Draft Primer 2.0 for the Seattle Kraken - TSN.ca

- Our understanding is that Lucic agreed to waive his no-move clause for Expansion Draft purposes as a condition on his trade from Edmonton, which means he will not need to be protected.

Seravalli predicts:

Dube, Mangiapane, Gawdin, Monahan, Lindholm, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Tanev, Andersson, Hanifin and Markstrom protected.  Backlund, Giordano, Lucic and Parsons exposed

6 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Seravalli predicts:

Dube, Mangiapane, Gawdin, Monahan, Lindholm, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Tanev, Andersson, Hanifin and Markstrom protected.  Backlund, Giordano, Lucic and Parsons exposed

That makes no sense.  Why would we protect a prospect like Gawdin over a known NHL player in Backlund?

45 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Seravalli predicts:

LOL what??? What even is this article?

- Gawdin is representative of any one of the forwards the Flames could protect with their seventh and final spot.

So translated- "I have no idea who the last forward is but it's going to be a forward I know that".

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

That makes no sense.  Why would we protect a prospect like Gawdin over a known NHL player in Backlund?

I think he was basing it off the current situation of needing one more forward under contract to meet the exposure requirements.  Given that I still would go Phillips over Gawdin if the situation was needed.  I do think they will get either Ritchie or Nordstrom re-signed before the draft, Leivo I could see looking elsewhere and Simon we shouldn't even bother qualifying.

I find Edmonton's list more puzzling, I don't know if Klefbom's situation is bad enough to risk losing him for nothing.  If Edmonton really wanted to save Jones they should just do 4-4 as I see no reason to protect RNH unless signed, and to protect Kassian is just dumb.  They should be fine with the big 2 and JP and Yam, then Klefbom, Jones, Bear and Nurse.  But what do I know. 

14 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I think he was basing it off the current situation of needing one more forward under contract to meet the exposure requirements.  Given that I still would go Phillips over Gawdin if the situation was needed.  I do think they will get either Ritchie or Nordstrom re-signed before the draft, Leivo I could see looking elsewhere and Simon we shouldn't even bother qualifying.

I find Edmonton's list more puzzling, I don't know if Klefbom's situation is bad enough to risk losing him for nothing.  If Edmonton really wanted to save Jones they should just do 4-4 as I see no reason to protect RNH unless signed, and to protect Kassian is just dumb.  They should be fine with the big 2 and JP and Yam, then Klefbom, Jones, Bear and Nurse.  But what do I know. 

If he can't even figure out Calgary, why would his EDM list make any more sense.

3 hours ago, sak22 said:

Seravalli predicts:

I'm okay exposing Backlund to Seattle because I think his cap hit will pose a problem in his final season.  At 32, he's already visibly slowing down and less effective (but I know Cross is going to show me advanced stats to prove me wrong).  Anyways, I dread a Giordano situation where the wall comes faster than anticipated and then we are stuck with him.

Biggest problem for me however, is protecting Gawdin.  He's not NHL material.  At 24, I think we've taken a glimpse of what he can be and it's very low ceiling.  There's no real reason to believe he'll make it to the NHL with any impact.  We should protect Philips instead at the very least.

It also depends which direction this franchise chooses to go.  If we tanking, then Backlund helps us win games right now and so he needs to go.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I'm okay exposing Backlund to Seattle because I think his cap hit will pose a problem in his final season.  At 32, he's already visibly slowing down and less effective (but I know Cross is going to show me advanced stats to prove me wrong).  Anyways, I dread a Giordano situation where the wall comes faster than anticipated and then we are stuck with him.

Biggest problem for me however, is protecting Gawdin.  He's not NHL material.  At 24, I think we've taken a glimpse of what he can be and it's very low ceiling.  There's no real reason to believe he'll make it to the NHL with any impact.  We should protect Philips instead at the very least.

It also depends which direction this franchise chooses to go.  If we tanking, then Backlund helps us win games right now and so he needs to go.

Seems to me that a trade is more beneficial for asset management.

I know it gets rid of the contract easily, but I don't think it's wise.

I mean, hey, Backlund is still producing at a rate similar or better than his best years.

And that's carrying Lucic and others.

And playing a mostly shutdown role.

He's had more different wingers than Monahan.

44 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Seems to me that a trade is more beneficial for asset management.

I know it gets rid of the contract easily, but I don't think it's wise.

I mean, hey, Backlund is still producing at a rate similar or better than his best years.

And that's carrying Lucic and others.

And playing a mostly shutdown role.

He's had more different wingers than Monahan.

For sure.  I would argue the best we can get is a 3rd round pick for Backlund due to the length of his contract.  The team taking him on assumes some risk in this final year.  He could become a buyout candidate.

At the end of the day, we have to lose one player.  I feel Gawdin is nothing special and we should keep Backlund and expose Gawdin.   I'm just saying, Backlund is a loss for the short term but a win in 3 years so there's reason to cut him loose now based on how our team is currently trending (rebuilding).

3 hours ago, zima said:

Question do we get to do trades and draft before expansion draft or does the expansion take place first?

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Considering every team is up against the same expansion draft questions, it's hard to find a trade partner before the expansion draft.

Do we really need to make a trade before?

We traded Bennett, who was the default unprotected player.

We don't really have a NHL player we need to protect by exposing Backlund.