Seattle Expansion Draft

JTech780

You know, there is a chance Seattle takes Lucic over Gio I’m not sure why but maybe, I say this only cause there are some other very good and much younger D…or they could also take someone else on the unprotected list, maybe Gio is too old? 

2 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

You know, there is a chance Seattle takes Lucic over Gio I’m not sure why but maybe, I say this only cause there are some other very good and much younger D…or they could also take someone else on the unprotected list, maybe Gio is too old? 

That would be a real surprise.

Lucic has had a couple good seasons in Calgary, but the expectations weren't incredibly high. He has 2yrs left at big money, it's believed Seattle wants to weaponize their cap space, hard to do that with Lucic. The thing with Gio is they can flip him easiliy as the league covets him, but in a worst case scenario, he only has 1 yr left and they can move on. Lucic is almost buyout proof so they'd be stuck with him if his play falls off. 

Gio or Ryan would be my guesses.

Lucic is close to being a "local boy", but that's a reach.

His attitude is worth more than the player they would get.

Ryan is the true local boy, and could serve as captain.

Allows them to effectively use their cap on players there for longer than a year.

Yes, trading Gio gets them a pick or two, but they need players.

13 hours ago, jjgallow said:

My thoughts exactly, but I think @The_People1 actually knew this before he wrote it and was trying to appeal to the broader base.    It's a catch 22 because it sounds snotty to say this stuff is predictable but...well... there is a line somewhere between that and the facts that we all saw this coming.     

Pretty much.

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

So, Gio is no longer bordering the Flames website... 

Valimaki and Mange are now there.... youth movement? despite Sutter? 

Hehe, just noticed that when posting on another topic.

I think they are resigned to the fact that Gio will shortly become a Krakker.

In the cap system you no longer lose a player for nothing, you gain their cap space and with a player like Gio that is not insignificant. 
would your prefer assets and the cap space sure, but it’s not that simple. Need to remember that even if the flames wanted to deal Gio at the trade deadline there was I believe less than half the league in a position to take his cap hit. Easy to say the flames should eat some money but what’s the value there? On top of needing the cap space, Gio had a partial NTc and your still have the issue of an acquiring team needed to be able to protect Gio in order to extract a worthwhile assets. It’s hardly a simple solution. 
Flames stand to pick up 7 mill in cap space and I’m not sure the value they would have received at the TDL would detract from that.

Sure it sucks it’s ending this way, at least appears to be, but that’s the nature of the expansion draft. 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

In the cap system you no longer lose a player for nothing, you gain their cap space and with a player like Gio that is not insignificant. 
would your prefer assets and the cap space sure, but it’s not that simple. Need to remember that even if the flames wanted to deal Gio at the trade deadline there was I believe less than half the league in a position to take his cap hit. Easy to say the flames should eat some money but what’s the value there? On top of needing the cap space, Gio had a partial NTc and your still have the issue of an acquiring team needed to be able to protect Gio in order to extract a worthwhile assets. It’s hardly a simple solution. 
Flames stand to pick up 7 mill in cap space and I’m not sure the value they would have received at the TDL would detract from that.

Sure it sucks it’s ending this way, at least appears to be, but that’s the nature of the expansion draft. 

There were a few teams that made deals for expiring players and payed a premium for that.

Tampa managed to get Savard for something just over a million after two teams retained salary.

That's an extreme example for sure, but Tampa payed a premium to get his salary down.

Trading for Gio would have presented a team with a protection issue for sure, but they also gain a player that could be exposed to take shine off other players.

And Gio's value was always going to be in the playoff run this past season in any TDL trade.

Do I think it's likely they could have found a deal this past TDL?  No idea, as it seemed like he wasn't being shopped.

Missed opportunity?  I don't lose sleep about it.

Losing Gio isn't the end of the world.

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

There were a few teams that made deals for expiring players and payed a premium for that.

Tampa managed to get Savard for something just over a million after two teams retained salary.

That's an extreme example for sure, but Tampa payed a premium to get his salary down.

Trading for Gio would have presented a team with a protection issue for sure, but they also gain a player that could be exposed to take shine off other players.

And Gio's value was always going to be in the playoff run this past season in any TDL trade.

Do I think it's likely they could have found a deal this past TDL?  No idea, as it seemed like he wasn't being shopped.

Missed opportunity?  I don't lose sleep about it.

Losing Gio isn't the end of the world.

Savard was 2.5 mill cheaper than Gio and as a pending UFA didn’t create an expansion draft issue nor an issue with a team needing to account for Gio next year too,not to mention Savard has no clauses. Not comparable and not nearly as easy to broker a trade 
I think if the Flames wanted to move Gio and actually get decent assets it would have needed to be last off season and even then with the reduction in the cap it wouldn’t have been easy 

55 minutes ago, cross16 said:

In retrospect I actually think it’s better. 

like you say, we gain the 6+ million in cap, we don’t lose another we probably want to keep, especially having a small prospect pool of possible NHLers. 

Now we can sign someone or trade for a player that has cap, kind of like the deal the Canucks made with Schmidt, but hoping we get a different or better player in the process. 

maybe a team wants or needs to clear space and can get a good player out of it? Just more options in this process.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

In retrospect I actually think it’s better. 

like you say, we gain the 6+ million in cap, we don’t lose another we probably want to keep, especially having a small prospect pool of possible NHLers. 

Now we can sign someone or trade for a player that has cap, kind of like the deal the Canucks made with Schmidt, but hoping we get a different or better player in the process. 

maybe a team wants or needs to clear space and can get a good player out of it? Just more options in this process.

Yes it would be best for us if Gio is lost to the Kraken, I do agree.

It's never the day-to-day movements where this organization suffers.   They typically make sense.   It's the long term planning that's missing.   The fact that we lose Gio at the very end of his career and don't have to deal with his salary, is digestable.

The fact that we never got any value back from him and never came anywhere remotely close to winning a cup with him, looking back over the last 10 years, is not so easy to accept.

29 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Yes it would be best for us if Gio is lost to the Kraken, I do agree.

It's never the day-to-day movements where this organization suffers.   They typically make sense.   It's the long term planning that's missing.   The fact that we lose Gio at the very end of his career and don't have to deal with his salary, is digestable.

The fact that we never got any value back from him and never came anywhere remotely close to winning a cup with him, looking back over the last 10 years, is not so easy to accept.

Does that speak to the player, the team or the GM?

I will be frank, I never was impressed with Gio's playoff performances.

Last year, it was Ras and Hanifin that played well in the playoffs.

Gio's best year was with Brodie on RD, and that outperformed playing with Hammy.

Maybe, Gio was not the player that would ever have got us a cup.

Debatable.

What I do feel about Gio was that he was one of the hardest working players we have had.

Talented, but not HOF talent.

Okay, that's not fair because there are far less talent in the HOF.

Maybe had we kept JBow, we would have been closer to a cup. 

29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Does that speak to the player, the team or the GM?

I will be frank, I never was impressed with Gio's playoff performances.

Last year, it was Ras and Hanifin that played well in the playoffs.

Gio's best year was with Brodie on RD, and that outperformed playing with Hammy.

Maybe, Gio was not the player that would ever have got us a cup.

Debatable.

What I do feel about Gio was that he was one of the hardest working players we have had.

Talented, but not HOF talent.

Okay, that's not fair because there are far less talent in the HOF.

Maybe had we kept JBow, we would have been closer to a cup. 

I do agree with your assessment.   And yes...he was talented, but it wasn't his talent alone that made him so valuable.

Over any length of time that long, I think it has to go back to the GM, or higher.      If Gio was the wrong player then that also goes back to the GM.  If Gio was the right player, it still goes back to the GM.

I think a fair question in his defense would be:     What Playoffs?

His first 10 years here, and all of his prime, no playoffs other then 4 games as a rookie (that he actually impressed in).

Other than that, just 19 playoff games, most of which were in the twilight of his career.  It is fair to say that the only playoff time he saw, he was either way to young or way to old.    He was always meant to signify the fruit of our rebuild but in the end he may be seen as that bridge between rebuilds.

JBow was missed, yes.  Much was screwed up in Gio's prime.    I was personally a rare advocate for trading him as soon as they gave up on their rebuild, because if they weren't going to finish the rebuild then I just didn't think it was fair for him to have to stick around like this in his best years.     Rightly or wrongly, when you look at the playoff gap I think you do have to start with the GM or go higher.

36 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

With Larsson, Oleksiak and Gio, Seattle will have a tough to play D.

They were not able to sign Hamilton at this point and Landeskog will test FA.

Did not go for Price.

Interested to see full list.

And Vince Dunn. The already look better than us...

Here's the so far...

Anaheim - Haydn Fleury 

Arizona - Tyler Pitlick 

Boston - Jeremy Lauzon 

Buffalo - Will Borgen

Calgary - Mark Giordano 

Carolina - Morgan Geekie

Chicago - John Quenneville

Colorado - Joonis Donskoi 

Columbus - Gavin Bayreuther

Dallas - Jamie Oleksiak 

Detroit - Dennis Cholowski

Edmonton - Adam Larsson 

Florida - Chris Driedger

Los Angeles - Kurtis MacDermid 

Minnesota - Carson Soucy 

Montreal - Cale Fleury 

Nashville - Calle Jarnkrok

New Jersey - Nathan Bastian

New York Islanders - Jordan Eberle

New York Rangers - Colin Blackwell 

Ottawa - Joey Daccord 

Philadelphia - Carsen Twarynski

Pittsburgh - Brandon Tanev

San Jose - Alex True 

St. Louis - Vince Dunn

Tampa Bay - Yanni Gourde 

Toronto - Jared McCann 

Vancouver - Kole Lind

Washington - Vitek Vanecek

Winnipeg - Mason Appleton 

17 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

And Vince Dunn. The already look better than us...

Dunne.  Wasn't he 3rd pairing on the Blues?

While I like their D, I think they have haven't addressed the offensive side.

Maybe Gio does that for them, but not for a whole lot longer.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Here's the so far...

Anaheim - Haydn Fleury 

Arizona - Tyler Pitlick 

Boston - Jeremy Lauzon 

Buffalo - Will Borgen

Calgary - Mark Giordano 

Carolina - Morgan Geekie

Chicago -

Colorado - Joonis Donskoi 

Columbus - Gavin Bayreuther

Dallas - Jamie Oleksiak 

Detroit -

Edmonton - Adam Larsson 

Florida - Chris Driedger

Los Angeles - Kurtis MacDermid 

Minnesota - Carson Soucy 

Montreal - Cale Fleury 

Nashville - Calle Jarnkrok

New Jersey - Nathan Bastian

New York Islanders - Jordan Eberle

New York Rangers - Colin Blackwell 

Ottawa - Joey Daccord 

Philadelphia - Carsen Twarynski

Pittsburgh - Brandon Tanev

San Jose - Alex True 

St. Louis - Vince Dunn

Tampa Bay - Yanni Gourde 

Toronto - Jared McCann 

Vancouver - Kole Lind

Washington - Vitek Vanecek

Winnipeg - Mason Appleton 

I'm assuming that they will try to target some high level forwards.  This looks like a lunchpail crew at first blush.

Building for the future.