20 21 season by series tracker

bosn111

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

i just looked and best case is 1 point out. Hey! If they play it out that way they can always tell the fans we were that close to a playoff spot.

MTL owns EDM, so I would not be surprised to see them beat EDM Wednesday.

Actually I am hoping that EDM faces MTL in the first round.

Even without their star players, they give EDM fits.

I don't know how much CGY will care about meaningless games now.

Wonder who gets Satoshi Nakamoto down.

At best, we are 50/50 against VAN.

With one NHL goalie, we are a schedule loss on the B2B game.

Whatever.  We are the least capable team of losing when we need to lose or winning when we need to win.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

MTL owns EDM, so I would not be surprised to see them beat EDM Wednesday.

Actually I am hoping that EDM faces MTL in the first round.

Even without their star players, they give EDM fits.

I don't know how much CGY will care about meaningless games now.

Wonder who gets Satoshi Nakamoto down.

At best, we are 50/50 against VAN.

With one NHL goalie, we are a schedule loss on the B2B game.

Whatever.  We are the least capable team of losing when we need to lose or winning when we need to win.

the life of a Flames fan!

Really our fate was in our own hands. So the season is over try out some players now and gauge what you have. Mackey, Phillips, Ruzicka, Gadwin lets see if they push the needle. We know for a fact Stone is back as Sutter has a man crush on him, but to be honest Stone has looked very good in his role.  I still wish Kylington would take that next step. has the speed but just makes some bone head decisions. I would like to see Phillips play the last 4 games with Gawdin and Ruzicka as a line, see what they have. Also take out Stone or Gio and bring in Mackey and lets see hwat he can bring. We need to guage if these guys can play Sutter hockey. 

This has been one of the worst seasons in Flames history.  You have to bring in a coach to get them to play at NHL speed and intensity. IMHO Sutter has changed the work ethic but what is transparent is the lack of skill in this hockey club. We have 4-6 good forwards and no super stars and 2 slightly above average dman and  a goalie that was good but never stellar. Tons of spots to fill. Trevling and all his minions need to be shown the door along with all management. We than need to do a break down of what the correct step is moving forward. I hate to say rebuild but not sure you can re tool this. We need to get this thing turned in the right direction. The scary part is Sutter loves veterans, that was his downfall as a GM here. The best option would make one last ditch effort in 2022 and tank for 2023? Really if we could get Bedard in 2023 thats a game changer for this club. 

Sorry, only 2 recalls left.

So, we are kinda pooched.

Can only bring up 2 players onto the roster and demote two to taxi squad.

Yes, Froese and Robinson are on the NHL roster; plus another 12.

Pick two of your poison.

Mackey?

Zagadulin?

Phillips?

Ruzicka?

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Sorry, only 2 recalls left.

So, we are kinda pooched.

Can only bring up 2 players onto the roster and demote two to taxi squad.

Yes, Froese and Robinson are on the NHL roster; plus another 12.

Pick two of your poison.

Mackey?

Zagadulin?

Phillips?

Ruzicka?

maybe it is time for the injured guys to sit finally. We might have some emergency recalls up our sleeves?

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

maybe it is time for the injured guys to sit finally. We might have some emergency recalls up our sleeves?

Not every team can get away with roster circumvention.  We can't even send a player to the AHL for conditioning, since we are done there.  Unless a player is requiring surgery, I can't see us being allowed to do an emergency recall.  Lrivo is on COVID protocol, so I don't even think you can replace him "for free", since he's not injured.

Some dumb decisions prior to TDL that limited our recalls, as well as questionable ones used.  These were decisions made because we were in the hunt, not meant to provide player evaluations.  Kylington was about the worst handled situation of all of them.  Guy was making AHL salary for most of the year, for no good reason.  He has to really have nop desire to be a Flame next year.  What a waste.  

Monahan the first player to be shut down for the remainder of the season to solve an ongoing injury. This time it is hip surgery. This is now 3 or 4 seasons in a row he has undergone offseason surgery after playing through an injury.

This is a really bad sign for Monahan. He can’t seem to stay healthy for a full season. Sadly other teams see this as well. Glad he has the drive to try and push through, but he isn’t the same player if he’s not healthy.

We will see how many more have been playing through injuries in the next couple of weeks.

Injuries are, IMO, a key reason why Monahan has flatlined. Even with they drafted him the question was footspeed and as the game continues to get faster all of these injuries and rehab seem to be preventing him from making any strides in the offseason. Every offseason he's got to rehab an injury and he can't seem to get any traction on working to get faster. 

Sucks for Monahan and sucks for the Flames. His value was already likely pretty low and this won't help. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Injuries are, IMO, a key reason why Monahan has flatlined. Even with they drafted him the question was footspeed and as the game continues to get faster all of these injuries and rehab seem to be preventing him from making any strides in the offseason. Every offseason he's got to rehab an injury and he can't seem to get any traction on working to get faster. 

Sucks for Monahan and sucks for the Flames. His value was already likely pretty low and this won't help. 

Probably means they don't trade him this summer.  A healthy Monahan helps this team.  Trading him without getting back an equivalent C doesn't make a lot of sense.

So, if we are targeting Eichel, we will need to look at Tkachuk as the key piece going back.  Maybe that doesn't move the needle, but we can't get by on Monahan and Backlund with potentially Lindholm at C.  At least I don't think we can compete that way.

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Hopefully, there's a disconnect between Monahan and the Flames... Or I mean, why didn't we shut him down months ago and play Sam Bennett in his place?  We all saw something was wrong and he was hurting the team by playing.  All those useless minutes.

Disconnect between the doctors and the team maybe.

Like Eichel, the player only can get a 2nd opinion and the team decides how to treat the condition.

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

If we have to win the final 3 games to leapfrog Chicago in draft position for us to be comfortable taking Cossa in the draft then let's win the final 3 games.

The only thing that passing CHI does is lower our odds in the lotto.

Really just one draft position, but lower odds with both CHI and ARI in there.

If ARI wins, it's a redo.

Some have Cossa at 24 or later.

Would you be that comforatable?

30 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

With the overtime win, Flames ahead of Sens in points and can’t be caught by the Nucks. Also sealed the season series win over the Nucks. With 2 games left, can still change draft spots.

I think we draft 12th looks like we will get by Chicago. Or is it 13th? 

1 hour ago, bosn111 said:

With the overtime win, Flames ahead of Sens in points and can’t be caught by the Nucks. Also sealed the season series win over the Nucks. With 2 games left, can still change draft spots.

Nothing changed for us tonight.

We are still 10th, draft 11th.

Nucks stay at 6th last, drafting 7th.

Nucks can end up 9th by winning the last two.

We can end up behind CHI by getting 3 points in two games.

The only upside is ARI has no pick, so we only lose a spot if we pass CHI. 

The lotto odds are worse for us if we pass ARI, though.

An ARI lotto win is a re-draw.

To sum it up, we lose if we win.

We already ruined getting a better pick than VAN.

7 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Guess that sets our draft spot. Next game only affects the Nucks position.

Not quite right.

If we win, we jump two team in standings.

We would drop from 11th to 12th, picking 13th.

We get a single point and we get slightly worse lotto odds.

If not for a huge slide by MTL and WPG, we were otherwise not close to the playoff cut line.

Every other division had a cutoff of 63 or higher.

3rd place in the North had 63.

The season was screwed up because of VAN.

We should have been playing a healthy team, but their games messed up everyone.

So, we don't even know how we would have done against them in a normal schedule.

I'm glad this is the last time we have to play series like these.

Useless.

Proved nothing.

What we did learn is we can beat good teams and lose to bad teams.

Certainly not a contender.

53 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If not for a huge slide by MTL and WPG, we were otherwise not close to the playoff cut line.

Every other division had a cutoff of 63 or higher.

3rd place in the North had 63.

The season was screwed up because of VAN.

We should have been playing a healthy team, but their games messed up everyone.

So, we don't even know how we would have done against them in a normal schedule.

I'm glad this is the last time we have to play series like these.

Useless.

Proved nothing.

What we did learn is we can beat good teams and lose to bad teams.

Certainly not a contender.

I know I'm not the only one but take away the postponed games I really like the way the division only season played out. Playing the same 6-7 teams 9 times builds up rivalries and animosity towards your opponents, something that I think has been missing in recent years league wide.  A few of the playoff series are showing that.  I hope they keep it that way once all thigs are back to "normal".

Which brings me to the question, do you build your team differently if theres a repeat of this format as opposed to a normal schedule?

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I know I'm not the only one but take away the postponed games I really like the way the division only season played out. Playing the same 6-7 teams 9 times builds up rivalries and animosity towards your opponents, something that I think has been missing in recent years league wide.  A few of the playoff series are showing that.  I hope they keep it that way once all thigs are back to "normal".

Which brings me to the question, do you build your team differently if theres a repeat of this format as opposed to a normal schedule?

I think it was a novelty that lost its appeal as the season progressed.

Playing the same team 9/10 times got old pretty quickly.

I think the league will move back to the more traditional format as soon as they can.

Golden Knights

Oilers

Flames

Canucks

Kings

Ducks

Sharks

Kraken

That is a weak division.

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

It was a one-off, so no chance in it happening next season.

While I enjoyed watching us play MTL and TOR more than twice in a year, 9 or 10 is overkill.

Playing within your own division is more of a coach and scouts dream than anything else.

Doesn't really show how your team is positioned in the conference at all.

Allows a division with a weak sister to beat up on that team over and over.

VAN is more of an example than Ottawa.

EDM beat up on Ottawa when they had goalie issues, but the last 3 or 4 games were closer.

Whomever was fortunate to play Buffalo got an almost automatic 9 wins.

Buffalo was a bad team, but had they played more teams would possibly not been last overall.

As far as building a team, you do it based on the long term, not a single possible season.

If we built this year's team based on a one year outlook, then that was a big mistake.

Also, you can't just build for regular season or playoffs alone.