20 21 season by series tracker

bosn111

3 hours ago, bigfaninlethbridge said:

Exactly.  We THINK our guys are worth more, but they aren't.  This is a horribly built team, how Treliving continues getting a free pass is beyond me, because he built a team that is terrible.   Had we traded JG 2 years ago before his shortcomings were made blatantly apparent we would have easily won a trade involving him.  Monahan too.  Giordano should have been traded right after winning the Norris to cash in on him, we all knew he was aging and it was downhill from there... but THEN somebody would have paid.  Now, no way.

TBH, I think people are over reacting to a bad season by a team and blaming on a team being made up of crappy players.

We have guys that perhaps should not be on the team (Nesterov, Simon, Buddy).

Every team has them.  Every team.

I don't get the hate for Gaudreau, though.

Stirs the offence on the team.

His shortcomings include not singlehandedly bringing the Flames postseason success, being small, and not playing well in his end.

Francis wants him traded because he's not going to re-sign.

Frankly speaking, there are only a handful of players that contribute offense to this club.

Only really have two contracts that are above the level of what they are being paid.

The fact that the team can't get out of their own way in a "special" season means little.

In reality, this season proves nothing.

Evaluate the players, scout new ones, draft young players, make the trades to improve, move along.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

TBH, I think people are over reacting to a bad season by a team and blaming on a team being made up of crappy players.

We have guys that perhaps should not be on the team (Nesterov, Simon, Buddy).

Every team has them.  Every team.

I don't get the hate for Gaudreau, though.

Stirs the offence on the team.

His shortcomings include not singlehandedly bringing the Flames postseason success, being small, and not playing well in his end.

Francis wants him traded because he's not going to re-sign.

Frankly speaking, there are only a handful of players that contribute offense to this club.

Only really have two contracts that are above the level of what they are being paid.

The fact that the team can't get out of their own way in a "special" season means little.

In reality, this season proves nothing.

Evaluate the players, scout new ones, draft young players, make the trades to improve, move along.

thats where I disagree. This team hasn’t been very good for awhile. It’s been two full seasons. 

or we can blame the Peters situation and then Covid and continue to take the blame away from the players who actually started playing like crap after the all star game in Peters’ first season as coach. 

see, I see that year as the outlier and not the norm. It’s been average and borderline .500 hockey most of the time,  apart from that season and the core can’t and haven’t gotten it done when it counts. It’s only getting worse. 

12 hours ago, robrob74 said:

thats where I disagree. This team hasn’t been very good for awhile. It’s been two full seasons. 

or we can blame the Peters situation and then Covid and continue to take the blame away from the players who actually started playing like crap after the all star game in Peters’ first season as coach. 

see, I see that year as the outlier and not the norm. It’s been average and borderline .500 hockey most of the time,  apart from that season and the core can’t and haven’t gotten it done when it counts. It’s only getting worse. 

Tampa was swept the first round that year and 7 other teams did not get it done.  

I get you have your opinion about the team and the results justify your opinion.  Not everything is that cut and dried.  Good team fail and bad teams win games.  If you want to draw conclusions from the last two years as being what this team can do, that is your decision.  I think you have to look deeper into it to make the right decisions about the roster.  

And just to clarify, I think the team has some decisions to make to improve this team.

I don't think it's as simple as trading Gaudreau or Monahan or Gio or Tkachuk or Lindholm.

We have team of spare parts.

Some or maybe even all of these players are ones you can build a team around.

Or they are players you can use to get the players to build around.

Keep Gaudreau, but you better build around that kind of player.

Keep Tkachuk but you need that skilled winger and C to make it work.

Just an example.

I'm starting to wonder if WPG can win any games left.

6 losses in a row.

MTL 4 back of them, while we are 10 back.

If we go 5-2 (bet them in 1 in regulation) and they go 0-6, we get in and they might end up being out.

Like EDM going on a long losing streak, these are unlikely events, but possible.

Who would ever predict 1) TOR 2) EDM 3) MTL 4) CGY

I like them matchups.

While the math is still there to get in, it's down to how the other teams do.

I'm not considering VAN as having any chance.

I think their run of luck is done.

What I do see is two teams going in opposite directions:

WPG - 10 points up on us, but have lost 6 in a row, 3-7-0 in the last 10.  6 games remaining (2x VAN, 2x OTT, 1x CGY, 1x TOR)

They eliminate us if they beat us in regulation or win 2 games.

If they lose all 6, we can eliminate them with 5/6 wins.

MTL - 8 points up on us, they won 2 in a row but are 5-5-0 in last 10.  They have a tough schedule.  6 games (3x TOR, 2x EDM, 1x OTT).

They eliminate us by winning 3 games.  

We can get in if they go 2-4 with no loser points, and we somehow win 6/6.

If they manage to win zero games, we can get in with 4/6.

The odds are pretty low, but that's because of needing wins and other team losses.

I wasn't impressed with the start of a critical game.

While it was basically over after 6 minutes, we have a few grade A chances, at least one that didn't even result in a shot on net.

Why a d-man with a clear lane to the net decides to pass to a winger is beyond me.

This is not the same team with the net empty.

I don't believe they have ever got a goal in that situation.

More often than not they have a goal scored early after pulling the goalie, so it's done.

35 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

And it is down to 3 points. Any win and overtime for Habs and Jets, or 1 loss and 1 overtime loss or some combination means the Flames are out mathematically.

To put it another way, if we lose to the Jets in any fashion, they clinch.

If we lose to the Jets and MTL gets to at least OT in one game, we are done.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

To put it another way, if we lose to the Jets in any fashion, they clinch.

If we lose to the Jets and MTL gets to at least OT in one game, we are done.

So best thing to hope

for is a complete nose dive and straight losses and that VCR and Ott win a few more to finish ahead of us so as to maybe get some

better lottery odds

32 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

So best thing to hope

for is a complete nose dive and straight losses and that VCR and Ott win a few more to finish ahead of us so as to maybe get some

better lottery odds

Sounds like a good time to sit any of the FAs that you dont plan on re-signing and maybe give the young guys meaningful ice time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

So best thing to hope

better lottery odds

Well, the only good thing is we will know by Wednesday.

We win outright, WPG is in real danger of being eliminated.

I mean, they play Ottawa again, VAN x 2 and TOR, but they are starting to grip their sticks.

While the combination of CGY wins and MTL or WPG losses is dire, anything can happen.

I'm impressed with MTL never give up attitude.

Caufield getting OT goals two games in a row.

They believe now.

I hope they get in and pass WPG.

Then it's us or WPG vs TOR.

3 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Sounds like a good time to sit any of the FAs that you dont plan on re-signing and maybe give the young guys meaningful ice time.

BT decides right now who gets re-signed, well between BT and the player.

BT determines who is on the taxi squad, who is activated to NHL and who goes down to taxi squad.

He has 2 recalls.

Coach doesn't care about lotto odds or draft placement.

He may use the time to shut down players that are injured.

He might preview a few players that have sat out most of the year.

More likely we should expect "good soldier" starts.

Rinaldo.

Mackey (went to AHL and performed well).

Froese (Sutter type that can play either level).

Domingue (who is our backup?) 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Well, the only good thing is we will know by Wednesday.

We win outright, WPG is in real danger of being eliminated.

I mean, they play Ottawa again, VAN x 2 and TOR, but they are starting to grip their sticks.

While the combination of CGY wins and MTL or WPG losses is dire, anything can happen.

I'm impressed with MTL never give up attitude.

Caufield getting OT goals two games in a row.

They believe now.

I hope they get in and pass WPG.

Then it's us or WPG vs TOR.

BT decides right now who gets re-signed, well between BT and the player.

BT determines who is on the taxi squad, who is activated to NHL and who goes down to taxi squad.

He has 2 recalls.

Coach doesn't care about lotto odds or draft placement.

He may use the time to shut down players that are injured.

He might preview a few players that have sat out most of the year.

More likely we should expect "good soldier" starts.

Rinaldo.

Mackey (went to AHL and performed well).

Froese (Sutter type that can play either level).

Domingue (who is our backup?) 

Ya thats mostly the direction the comment was pointing to and at least I'm hoping any injuries are addressed. I understand the issues of player movement in and out and between the club, taxi squad, and minors but I dont think we need to see any more of Buddy, Rhino, Simon, and Nesterov.  We know what those guys bring, I'd like to see how the youngins deal with the bigs for more than one game at a time. 

2 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Ya thats mostly the direction the comment was pointing to and at least I'm hoping any injuries are addressed. I understand the issues of player movement in and out and between the club, taxi squad, and minors but I dont think we need to see any more of Buddy, Rhino, Simon, and Nesterov.  

No doubt.

We have already 8D on the NHL squad (including Hanifin).

14F including Buddy and Froese.

Gawdin, Simon and Rinaldo are the only F on the taxi squad.

We can only make two moves to bring a player on the NHL roster.

The AHL is done, so you may see guys brought up and other send down, but would need the moves to get Buddy and Froese off to allow them into NHL.

I don't know that it makes sense to bring up Ruzicka or Phillips.

They would get a fresh look at camp.

Do we need to see any more of Rinaldo or Simon?

Don't need to see Buddy or Ritchie.

No problem with Ritchie, just that he's made his bed and we don't need to see any more.

The one thing I will say is a player being shut down would result in an emergency call up I think.

Not sure why Hanifin isn't on LTIR, but that may just be an insurance thing.

13 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Habs keeping the Flames playoff hopes alive by losing to the Leafs in regulation.

They are helping us decide if we want to be in the playoffs.

Entirely possible they lose the last 3 in regulation.

Doesn't take away from the fact we still need to win 5 games, 2 of which in regulation.

We should know by Sunday if we are done or have a life.

Habs have 2 games remaining against the Oilers.

While they have owned the Oilers this season, things have trended in the opposite direction.

Regardless, the Flames have no way of making the playoffs unless they win 5 games in a row.

They haven't played like a team capable of winning more than two in a row, and really Ottawa is playing ther best hockey.

Let's get this over with so we can put away that last desperate chance at the playoffs.