20 21 season by series tracker

bosn111

As the 2020 2021 season is making its way towards the trade deadline, I thought I would create this thread for information purposes.

I will try to keep it updated.

Versus. Wins. Losses.  Remain.  Outcome 

Oilers.       4        6            0.          Lost

Nucks.      7        3            0.          Won

Jets.          3.       6           0.           Lost

Leafs.        3.       6             0.         Lost

Habs.        6.         3           0         Won

Sens.         3.        6            0       Lost

So far only one 1 season series win with a second still in the balance. Even if we slide into the playoffs, this doesn’t bode well.

Team.       Points.   GR.    MaxPts.    In/Out
Leafs.           76        0    76            In #1

Oilers.           72       0       72.         In #2

Jets.             63        0      63            In #3

Canadiens.   58        0       58          In #4

Flames.         55.      0.     55.          Out #5
Senators.      51        0      51          Out #6

Canucks.      50        0.     50          Out #7

Final.

13 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Habs lose, Flames win, one step at a time.

It's such an odd finish to a season.

We haven't managed to completely drop out of the race.

The Habs are dropping most of their games in hand.

The Oilers looked comfortable in 2nd or 3rd, yet play out April and May against VAN and MTL.

I wouldn't even put money on the Oilers making the playoffs at this point.

By the time VAN gets back to playing they could have a rested lineup.

Or MTL could take over 3rd.

I don't hold out much hope for the Flames.

While not eliminated, they have too many games against teams that could pass them or already are ahead.

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It comes down to the final 5 games against the Habs.  We pretty much need to sweep and prevent the Habs from getting even OT points.

There's little point in getting excited about winning two games against tired teams.

The Oilers game was a big win, but they were tired and upset.

The Leafs played last night and were outplayed.

We shall be tired against the Habs.

It's not like we have fared well in the 2nd game of a B2B.

And if Domingue starts, we are sunk

The rest of the month basically determines whether MTL or CGY goes o the playoffs.

MTL plays 9 games in April - 4 against CGY, 2 at EDM. 1 vs OTT, 1 vs TOR, 1 vs WPG

CGY plays 7 games - 4 against MTL, 1 vs OTT, 1 at EDM and 1 at VAN

They will have made up all but 1 of the games in hand.

VAN is the wild card for us, especially the final 2 games.  They either play the spoiler or fold up like a tent.  We play after 5 days off before the last two games, while they play 3 games in 4 nights prior.

It's still a long shot to make the playoffs, but not totally out of the realm of possibility either.

Calgary has 4 games left against Montreal, 4 games against the Covid depleted Canucks, 2 games against the worst team in the division, and only 3 games against playoff teams.

Montreal has 4 games left against Calgary, 3 games against Ottawa, and 9 games against playoff teams.

Montreal is ahead with games in hand so everything has to go right for us to catch up, and we have to win at least 3 of the remaining games against Montreal, but Montreal has the much harder schedule to finish things off.

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Friday games between CGY-MTL and EDM-VAN will help paint the picture for the race.

If MTL can't get their game back on track against us, they will have a tough time with the SENS on Saturday.

If VAN puts up a good showing against EDM, then they have a chance at making it a race.

But VAN has so many games in a short span of time. it makes their journey so much tougher.

It's by far one of the most bizarre season yet.

Even last year was just a delayed re-start, not cancelled games in the middle.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Friday games between CGY-MTL and EDM-VAN will help paint the picture for the race.

If MTL can't get their game back on track against us, they will have a tough time with the SENS on Saturday.

If VAN puts up a good showing against EDM, then they have a chance at making it a race.

But VAN has so many games in a short span of time. it makes their journey so much tougher.

It's by far one of the most bizarre season yet.

Even last year was just a delayed re-start, not cancelled games in the middle.

Sounding like Fridays Edmonton/Vancouver game is getting postponed. Vancouver will have been off for 23 days, so it makes sense to give them more than 1 practice before going into games.

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Sounding like Fridays Edmonton/Vancouver game is getting postponed. Vancouver will have been off for 23 days, so it makes sense to give them more than 1 practice before going into games.

That's fair, but it makes their scedule even worse.

EDM has been off a week so far and still have the easiest schedule of the North.

You probably see EDM rest some of the team as they get down to the last two weeks.

That's when they play the Nucks a bunch of games.

Why are we trying to win more games just makes us lose a high pick instead of top four if we keep winning it will be a top 10 and for what a couple extra wins. I get it most have this belief that if we get into the playoffs which is very slim to begin with we could make a run at the what Canada cup ? Time to start looking at the future we need some top end talent and this time maybe we will can get a top four quality player. A Bennett type player that can put the puck in the net or a rookie of the yr type player. I would love to say first over all but we know the Draft is rigged and if your a flames team you can forget getting a fair shake buffalo has a better chance at first over all than we do.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, zima said:

Why are we trying to win more games just makes us lose a high pick instead of top four if we keep winning it will be a top 10 and for what a couple extra wins. I get it most have this belief that if we get into the playoffs which is very slim to begin with we could make a run at the what Canada cup ? Time to start looking at the future we need some top end talent and this time maybe we will can get a top four quality player. A Bennett type player that can put the puck in the net or a rookie of the yr type player. I would love to say first over all but we know the Draft is rigged and if your a flames team you can forget getting a fair shake buffalo has a better chance at first over all than we do.

What do you suggest?  Tell the players trying to stay in CGY to just give up or play less than they are capable of?

Tanking can only be done if you ship out every decent player that gives you a chance at winning.

BT managed to trade Rittich, even though he said you need two goalies to win in the in this league.

He traded Bennett for futures.

That is more asset management than tanking.  We would likely lose Rittich anyway, and Bennett would not be re-signed unless he had a great finish.

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

Yeah, I can't see the Canucks being in the race. They could definitely play spoiler, though. The Sens can do that, too.

Love.

They have a horrid defense, but Pettey may be back by the time they actually play.

I don't know that they have any chance this season, but I do hope they beat the Oilers a few times.

Yes why not the oilslicks did it for yrs and look at the fan base they are happy with the 7-8 first over all or top 4 picks in that time the fan base has the best memory lose team in the league so why can't we for 1 lousy season. Ok say they win 1/2 or better the rest of the season what did that do for them? Give them a sense of fair play? Incase you haven't noticed the NHL has never given the Flames a fair shake since they became the Flames seems to me they just hand it all to the oilers. Now that the oilers are set kinda they have changed the rules so that no team can get 3-5 first over alls but I bet my bottom dollar that would not have come into effect if the oilers weren't doing really good right now. I know thats just crazy right? But is it  

12 minutes ago, zima said:

Yes why not the oilslicks did it for yrs and look at the fan base they are happy with the 7-8 first over all or top 4 picks in that time the fan base has the best memory lose team in the league so why can't we for 1 lousy season. Ok say they win 1/2 or better the rest of the season what did that do for them? Give them a sense of fair play? Incase you haven't noticed the NHL has never given the Flames a fair shake since they became the Flames seems to me they just hand it all to the oilers. Now that the oilers are set kinda they have changed the rules so that no team can get 3-5 first over alls but I bet my bottom dollar that would not have come into effect if the oilers weren't doing really good right now. I know thats just crazy right? But is it  

Think the change had more to do with the Rangers jumping up twice in a row to pick 2 then 1 then anything else.  Can cry foul that the Oilers got theirs and we never got ours, but they put themselves in favorable positions to win those.  The Flames have only finished last in their division once since moving to Calgary and in that there were still 8 teams worse, so had no chance of winning #1 that year based on how the lottery worked back then.  Really only 2014 was the only year they had decent odds of winning, the Oilers had really high odds from 2010-2012 and decent odds in 2015.

Not me just once I would like to see our team walk away with more than a top 4 and end with hopes and prayers. I know it sounds crazy but I'm not going to be upset if we end up picking in the top 3 and have a franchise player that every one says we need. You can't get a Franchise player with out a top pick unless a horse shoe falls on the podium and please do mot pick a college player not worth the risk as far as I am concerned. 

3 minutes ago, zima said:

Not me just once I would like to see our team walk away with more than a top 4 and end with hopes and prayers. I know it sounds crazy but I'm not going to be upset if we end up picking in the top 3 and have a franchise player that every one says we need. You can't get a Franchise player with out a top pick unless a horse shoe falls on the podium and please do mot pick a college player not worth the risk as far as I am concerned. 

There is no franchise altering player in this draft, and the best bets to be really good are college players.

No team with Darryl Sutter as the coach is going to tank. Also if there is a coach in this league to pull off a miracle run it's Darryl Sutter.

I just don't think tanking is in the DNA of guys like Treliving or Sutter.

The other thing is that the players we have needed to trade to go into tank mode, have term and you weren't going to get good value for players with term at this deadline.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zima said:

Good news is we tried to win for an entire season and we didn't have the talent.  And/or we had square pegs for round holes.  Lines didn't click no matter what.  It's broken and we didn't really fix anything at the TDL.