Andrew Mangiapane

cross16

• 4 months later...

Did everyone watch After Hours Saturday night featuring Mangiapane?

It was spectacular. A kid no one believed in, couldn't even get an agent.

Loved the shout-out to fellow Sarnian and Flames scout Terry Doran. Yes, I do know him.

BT getting punched by him isn't much of a threat. Just tell the cheap bastard to pay his entrance fee at golf tournies.lol

He's a good man. His wife is an old school friend, he's close friends with my brother-in-law. I believe he flagged Beck as well, Andersson, Fox (USNDP is Michigan) and some misses of course.

There is a ton of territory to cover here. If you draw a 4 hr driving circumference centered on Sarnia, there is a ton of great programs and teams going on. Literally non-stop. Almost to Chicago and encompassing Toronto.

Should have half a dozen minor scouts just in this area.

Great Mangiapane interview though. Any hockey fan would love the guy.

25 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

There is a ton of territory to cover here. If you draw a 4 hr driving circumference centered on Sarnia, there is a ton of great programs and teams going on. Literally non-stop. Almost to Chicago and encompassing Toronto.

Should have half a dozen minor scouts just in this area.

You're absolutely right about that. Out west, I hear a lot of complaining about the bias to the OHL, and in Alberta, there's always outrage about the disproportionate number of lottery winners in Ontario - but there's a failure to recognize exactly how many people live there. You can find a much higher concentration of anything there, including great hockey players.

My avatar is a picture of the jersey that I wore when I lived in Toronto. I played in a hockey league for artists. For artists! No other region in the country has a population that could support that. You could throw a dart at a world map, and find authentic cuisine for whatever country you hit within a twenty minute cab ride of wherever you are.

It is a region that is saturated with scouts, but that's because it's got a ton of great hockey players, and a lot of teams that develop them into stars. It would be foolish to ignore it.

Love.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

You're absolutely right about that. Out west, I hear a lot of complaining about the bias to the OHL, and in Alberta, there's always outrage about the disproportionate number of lottery winners in Ontario - but there's a failure to recognize exactly how many people live there. You can find a much higher concentration of anything there, including great hockey players.

My avatar is a picture of the jersey that I wore when I lived in Toronto. I played in a hockey league for artists. For artists! No other region in the country has a population that could support that. You could throw a dart at a world map, and find authentic cuisine for whatever country you hit within a twenty minute cab ride of wherever you are.

It is a region that is saturated with scouts, but that's because it's got a ton of great hockey players, and a lot of teams that develop them into stars. It would be foolish to ignore it.

Love.

Don't get me started on roll up to win or McDonald's monopoly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Oh boy. A year later, What are everyone's thoughts?

Should he sit a game or 2? I just don't know.

He's been cringe-worthy way too much and he's been tried everywhere until being reunited with where he had success last year.

7 goals and 10 assists, -6 through 40 games. oof.

He looks lost, a lot. His shot% is in the toilet at 8.6% from 19ish in the last 2 seasons and 15.8 career.

Is this the outlier or a trend? A confidence thing?

Tell me how to think about this. Maybe the all-star break can reset him?

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Oh boy. A year later, What are everyone's thoughts?

Should he sit a game or 2? I just don't know.

He's been cringe-worthy way too much and he's been tried everywhere until being reunited with where he had success last year.

7 goals and 10 assists, -6 through 40 games. oof.

He looks lost, a lot. His shot% is in the toilet at 8.6% from 19ish in the last 2 seasons and 15.8 career.

Is this the outlier or a trend? A confidence thing?

Tell me how to think about this. Maybe the all-star break can reset him?

I think he will figure it out. He's a pretty streaky player. Should finish in the 20 range for goals. Never been much of a distributer.

Flames are probably thankful they didn't go 6-8yrs on him though. 

I see a player trying to hard, getting a bit snake bit and then getting away from his game. I’m sure he feels pressure to live up to his contract and get the goals but what made Mang Mang was his play away from the puck. That is what led to his opportunities and it’s why I don’t think last year was a mirage, it was the culmination of a building career.  He has gotten away from that this year though and j don’t see the same consistency in his play away from the puck. 

he needs to get back to that player. The goals will come if he plays that style but if he focuses only on offense his value drops. I think he’ll figure it out, and I don’t think a situation like this is all that surprising after a player gets his first big contract. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I see a player trying to hard, getting a bit snake bit and then getting away from his game. I’m sure he feels pressure to live up to his contract and get the goals but what made Mang Mang was his play away from the puck. That is what led to his opportunities and it’s why I don’t think last year was a mirage, it was the culmination of a building career.  He has gotten away from that this year though and j don’t see the same consistency in his play away from the puck. 

he needs to get back to that player. The goals will come if he plays that style but if he focuses only on offense his value drops. I think he’ll figure it out, and I don’t think a situation like this is all that surprising after a player gets his first big contract. 

I think the statement I highlighted is true not only for Mang, but Hubie, and maybe even Lindholm.

Lindholm does so many little things right, but after last year I think he feels like it’s on him to continue producing like he did last year. Even though he traded in Gaudreau and Tkachuk (2 - 100 point guys/ P/G guys) for Dube and Toffoli.

Hubie was anointed before he got here, and in between learning a new system and feeling like he is the guy now, has to be hard. I see most nights he’s trying so hard to make something happen rather than trusting his instincts and playing his game.

Lastly with Mang, like you said. He has always been the underdog story fighting to prove people wrong and the flames rewarded him for all his hard work and I think he is struggling from being the guy who had to fight for every inch to being the guy who is a key to the teams offence.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

demote him to the 4th line. Give every player the same treatment! It might also get him back to the roots that simplified his game and bring him back to himself.

Since being put back together Mang-Backs and Coleman have been excellent. He is in the right spot to find his game. 

I don’t agree with the idea of demoting players who are working hard it’s just not going for them at the moment. Put them in positions to be successful. 

34 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

demote him to the 4th line. Give every player the same treatment! It might also get him back to the roots that simplified his game and bring him back to himself.

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Since being put back together Mang-Backs and Coleman have been excellent. He is in the right spot to find his game. 

I don’t agree with the idea of demoting players who are working hard it’s just not going for them at the moment. Put them in positions to be successful. 

I get frustrated with him some games.  He gets a lot of goals when he gets open.

But he's the one taking the puck in or fighting for the puck on the boards.

So, he gets a target on his back.

The little buttonhook he's doing when he gains the zone with the puck isn't working.

I do agree he's gripping the stick too hard.

He's at his best when the line is on the rush and passing or when they cycle it.

And yes, the Backs line is where he's played his best.

And where he's starting to come around.

He's doing the right things out there, just not finishing.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

11 game goal-less drought during which time he has 3 assists.

That 8.3 shot %age looks like a microcosm of a team that takes a lot of low scoring chance shots.

If Pelletier draws in, I'd guess Mangiapane's spot is a safe place to land.

Kinda obvious that with the same SH% as last year he would be on pace for 30 goals.

His shot volume is down but not by a lot.

Point blank shots are hitting the goalie's chest.

He seems to be delaying, sometimes going for the curl and drag shot.

It's not working for him.

The low assist numbers come from a low scoring line.

Does Pelletier get you more goals from that line?

Not sure they score that much either way.

I would tend to use a passer with Kadri.

Lucic isn't going to score 30 up there.