Andrew Mangiapane

cross16

Didn't want to bury this in other threads. 

Mangiapane is becoming one of the best play drivers in the league and one of the most important pieces the Flames have. What a career this guys is starting to carve out for himself after being over looked in a draft and then taken in the 6th round. one of the better Flames draft picks in the last decade. 

I'm not sure his point total will ever get him enough credit for some fans, but he is turning into one of the Flames best all around players. He should be viewed as part of the the core moving forward. 

• Like 5

He's come a long way.  This season, you can see the confidence in his game. He's not afraid to make moves and make mistakes and because of all this, he's succeeding.  He seems to really understand the type of player he is and what he has to do to be successful.  He's small and agile so he uses that.  Some of his moves are as nasty as Johnny's.

He deserves more PP time and with that, could see his numbers go up.

• 2 months later...

Another sign of the growth of Mangiapane, he's going to represnt Canada at the Worlds.

I know that the Worlds doesn't carry much weight but I think it's a cool addition the story for Mangiapane that he's now representing his country. Dube is going with him too. 

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Another sign of the growth of Mangiapane, he's going to represnt Canada at the Worlds.

I know that the Worlds doesn't carry much weight but I think it's a cool addition the story for Mangiapane that he's now representing his country. Dube is going with him too. 

I like the idea, but there isn't much time between the end of the season and the start of the WC.

Isn't it like the next day?

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I like the idea, but there isn't much time between the end of the season and the start of the WC.

Isn't it like the next day?

Ship them off for the worlds, they have nothing to prove here and I would hope someone new could get some ice time but they would probably just bring up Simon and Rhino.

6 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Ship them off for the worlds, they have nothing to prove here and I would hope someone new could get some ice time but they would probably just bring up Simon and Rhino.

Froese is a C, so they possibly put him in.

Gawdin played well enough to get more minutes though.

Elevate Backlund to 2nd line, and remaining C's are Ryan and Gawdin.

Think we have only 1 recall left, so it may not allow for us to use Phillps or Ruzicka.

Really, I'm not sure what Sutter thinks about players when he uses good soldiers ahead of young prospects.

The time to win is over.

The time to evaluate is here.

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think Mangiapane, Dube and Andersson are the pieces to move forward with. From last year's playoffs to this year's fading they seemed like the only guys that were really passionate and engaged.

I don’t think we should be surprised by that. Both Mangiapane and Andersson came from a Dale Hawerchuk team in Barrie, and they know how to win, they were taught early how to be competitive and what it’s going to take to get to the next level. They learned heart and souls from one of the beat in the game.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

I don’t think we should be surprised by that. Both Mangiapane and Andersson came from a Dale Hawerchuk team in Barrie, and they know how to win, they were taught early how to be competitive and what it’s going to take to get to the next level. They learned heart and souls from one of the beat in the game.

Yessir. I enjoyed watching them play for Barrie and no doubt the scouts recognized Mange's tenaciousness immediately. I posted on the forum way back when they were drafted that Mange was like a dog on a bone for the puck, wasn't afraid to battle in corners, and that I was afraid he'd get hurt with his size given how unrelenting he was... but it's true what they say: It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but rather the size of the fight in the dog. Go get'em Mange! 

13 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think Mangiapane, Dube and Andersson are the pieces to move forward with. From last year's playoffs to this year's fading they seemed like the only guys that were really passionate and engaged.

Funny how 3 of our best players are from the 2nd or 6th round.

Mangiapane is the most efficient 5v5 scorer we have.

Has been for some time.

I can't say how I would structure a roster around them, but at least they should be focal points for BT.

Personally, I would be exploring a Hanifin-Ras top pairing.

And if anything, Mange should be top 6.

Dube suffered a bit from top line play when Tkachuk was struggling.

But that speed and skill is just lurking below the surface.

14 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Andersson is getting on my nerves a bit though.  The guy doesn't know his limits and thinks he's way better than he is.

15 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I am on the fence here.  I partially agree with you and I'd be okay with it, but I'd also be okay with scorched earth.   Nothing wrong with Mangiapane etc but he's already on the latter half of his prime and we are just entering a rebuild.   The timing's off.    I would trade them for a good return.    And if not, sure, they're players that are good to have.

Yo here's what I don't get.   Why we don't do more PTOs and draft more over-agers.   Why why?

Mangiapane almost Never got a shot at the NHL.  Had the Flames not drafted him he'd likely not be in the league.    There are players like this every year, I could make a list.  95% of the time they're given zero chance.   

Some...players...can't be projected.    Their skills aren't evident until later.   They're missing a piece, and all of a sudden they find it.    Scouting is great to project Most players but there are Always some that just don't follow the predicted path.    I think the hockey world still likes to classify and label players.   And I get it.  95% of the time, that classication/label isn't far off.     But every once in a while, it's either wrong or the player changes.   Players who perform should be given opportunities and good things can happen.    We should be doing like 5-8 PTOs every year and picking up an extra 6th rounder every year.   You can get an extra NHLer once a year just doing that imho.   Most times they just need an opportunity.

30 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Andersson is getting on my nerves a bit though.  The guy doesn't know his limits and thinks he's way better than he is.

Hanifin-Ras was our best pairing in the playoffs last year.  Gio-Ras was our worst pairing this year.  That's just my opinion I guess.  When they moved Ras to Hanifin, it seemed to help him.  It could just be a case of following Gio's lead or deferring to him.  I've watched both players do exactly the same thing when they have the puck on the boards with pressure coming; they turn into the boards instead of looking for an escape route.    

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Mangiapane almost Never got a shot at the NHL.  Had the Flames not drafted him he'd likely not be in the league.    There are players like this every year, I could make a list.  95% of the time they're given zero chance.   

The 2015 draft, oh yes.

Kevin Lebanc, the guy just ahead of Mangiapane for 2nd in points with the Colts, also went in the 6th round.

Almost double the point of Lemieux, who went the year before in the 2nd round.

It seems like scouts spent too much time watching the top players.  Seems like not a lot were watching Barrie games.  Then again, they were a very top heavy team, with 5 players (including Ras) scoring the majority of the goals).  Two of them were previously drafted.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Funny how 3 of our best players are from the 2nd or 6th round.

Mangiapane is the most efficient 5v5 scorer we have.

Has been for some time.

I can't say how I would structure a roster around them, but at least they should be focal points for BT.

Personally, I would be exploring a Hanifin-Ras top pairing.

And if anything, Mange should be top 6.

Dube suffered a bit from top line play when Tkachuk was struggling.

But that speed and skill is just lurking below the surface.

I think one of the things that it points to is the development time they were given. None of them were rushed into the NHL. They had either time in college or extra years in JR and in the AHL and worked their way up. Albeit, Tkachuk, Monahan both have had good careers to date. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I think one of the things that it points to is the development time they were given. None of them were rushed into the NHL. They had either time in college or extra years in JR and in the AHL and worked their way up. Albeit, Tkachuk, Monahan both have had good careers to date. 

Gaudreau went directly to the NHL.

Brodie did not.

It's more about the player being NHL ready than draft placement.

And sometimes it's all about timing.

This year Fox could have started in the NHL because we didn't have a high end RD.

And that's one thing to remeber about college players like Fox.

Whether there was manipulation or not, NY was able to sign him and have him on the NHL roster.

Just rambling here.

14 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Gaudreau went directly to the NHL.

Brodie did not.

It's more about the player being NHL ready than draft placement.

And sometimes it's all about timing.

This year Fox could have started in the NHL because we didn't have a high end RD.

And that's one thing to remeber about college players like Fox.

Whether there was manipulation or not, NY was able to sign him and have him on the NHL roster.

Just rambling here.

But Gaudreau didn't really go directly to the NHL. He went to College for a while and came to the NHL after spending 3 years there. But I get what you're saying. 

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

But Gaudreau didn't really go directly to the NHL. He went to College for a while and came to the NHL after spending 3 years there. But I get what you're saying. 

I just mean skipping the AHL.

The overall point is that very few players are drafted and go directly to the NHL.  The vast majority go back to junior or whatever for at least one year.

Part of that is the rules for drafted players under 20 playing in the AHL, though there are some exceptions to that rule.

Where it tends to happen more is a high level player can go directly to the NHL because the drafting team sucks.

McDavid played in his draft year, being injured for half the season.

Eichel, Hanifin, and Rantanen played in their draft year.

The rest of the top 10 went back to pre-draft team.

11 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Mangiapane is a stud and certainly a solid top 6 winger at this point. If the Flames were to move a Gaudreau or Tkachuk this off-season, I think they can still feel

pretty good about their top 6 LW, given his emergence 

For sure.  Not as skilled a skater as Gaudreau or as tough as Tkachuk, but the kid is nothing but compete.

If he ever bulks up, he will be tough to stop.  As it is, he's pretty elusive today.

I catch myself wondering if Pelletier is in this same mold.

Compete level, dog on a bone.

Same height, Mange has about 15 pounds on him, but that could change quite quickly.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

For sure.  Not as skilled a skater as Gaudreau or as tough as Tkachuk, but the kid is nothing but compete.

If he ever bulks up, he will be tough to stop.  As it is, he's pretty elusive today.

I catch myself wondering if Pelletier is in this same mold.

Compete level, dog on a bone.

Same height, Mange has about 15 pounds on him, but that could change quite quickly.

Similar players for sure. The comp for Pelletier I saw prior to the draft was somewhere between Jaden Schwartz and Yanni Gourde.

Undersized guys that play bigger than their size, highly competitive but also have some skill.