2021 Waiver News

cross16

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Interesting waiver move today.

Gusev on waivers.

Doesn't work for us cap-wise, but he was a player that could score last year.

Would he even move the needle here?

I think he's too expensive. At least he's a RW.  Same cap as Ghost, almost wonder if those two teams might be interested in swapping waived players.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Interesting waiver move today.

Gusev on waivers.

Doesn't work for us cap-wise, but he was a player that could score last year.

Would he even move the needle here?

Small, soft, perimeter player, who only plays when it's easy.

I mean he would fit right in here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sounds like a reclamation project. Talented player, suffered injury and missed time. Inconsistent play.

Could he do better than Leivo, Simon, Nordstrom, Lucic? At best he would slot into 3rd line and there are questions around his D-zone.

Being an upcoming RFA, could be worth the risk, but I really don’t know. Sounds like even if he clears, could be a cheap trade option. Likely better to trade for him to clear contract / cap space in return. Plus if he clears waivers first he can be taxi squad through quarantine plus.

Wouldn’t say no to waivers, but likely not worth it to lose waiver position just in case someone better gets waived in the next 2 weeks.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Evgeny Svechnikov on waivers from Detroit.

Any interest in a young, cheap LHS RW?

In theory, this is the kind of thing I might say yes to.

In practice, are the Flames the kind of team that can save his career?

In a rebuild situation, I would say yes.   In our situation, odds are not fantastic.    Maybe he comes into his own two years from now, and we look brilliant.   I don't believe we're set up for it at the moment.   for him to succeed.   Maybe we will be a year from now?   I'm not sure.

What would he do if we went into a rebuild, got loads of minutes and loads of support?   But to be completely honest I think he's best on LW.    So he won't be getting loads of minutes there unless we do a lot of house cleaning.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

is he expansion draft eligible? Maybe he makes a good player to expose? I dunno. 

Doesn't matter.

Ritchie is a plug on the 2nd line.

He's devaluing Monahan and Gaudreau.

No cost to claim, no loss if he picked by Seattle or not.

For all the good reasons to make a claim, we will not.

We are just spinning our wheels this year.

No improvements.

Depth at center?

Peshaw.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Doesn't matter.

I would argue Ritchie is not the worst player on that line.  He's got more chemistry with Gaudreau than Monahan right now.  Monahan is the one who needs to go.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Doesn't matter.

For all the good reasons to make a claim, we will not.

We are just spinning our wheels this year.

No improvements.

Depth at center?

Peshaw.

Ans that’s what I mean. It would be a good thing to be expansion eligible. We need to expose someone and need to find Johnny and Monny a true top line RWer. 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Svechnikov cleared. 

Joakim Nygard is on waivers today, we tried to sign him but chose Edmonton instead. Will be interesting to see if we make a claim. Tons of speed.

That's a shame.  Nygard is a player I thought would be better.

Derailed a bit by that injury last year.

Another player that teams had high hopes for, like Kahun this year.

Or Reider when he played in EDM.

Seems like only certain players can make it in EDM.

McD and Draisaitl.

The rest get propped up by them.

If they don't stick, they get dropped down to crap lines.

Poolparty is trending there the same.

I think we could use some more speed, so Nygard makes some sense.

Don't really see where he fits.

Maybe as a RW?

JP won't ever go lower than second line on their squad IMO.  And they have more secondary scoring than they've had since their cup run.  I can't see anybody claiming Nygard tbh, and this team needs a heck of a lot more help than him.  The Flames have to trade assets to get assets.  claiming players like Nygard won't help.

9 hours ago, bigfaninlethbridge said:

JP won't ever go lower than second line on their squad IMO.  And they have more secondary scoring than they've had since their cup run.  I can't see anybody claiming Nygard tbh, and this team needs a heck of a lot more help than him.  The Flames have to trade assets to get assets.  claiming players like Nygard won't help.

Yes but I don't see how we can pass up on another left winger.   Especially a smaller one.

12 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Yes but I don't see how we can pass up on another left winger.   Especially a smaller one.

OK That's a very good point, we have to start somewhere.  I still think we should be at least trying for Hall.  It would cost a lot and be some fancy fandangling to get it to fit, but that's what we need.

• Angry 1

12 minutes ago, bigfaninlethbridge said:

OK That's a very good point, we have to start somewhere.  I still think we should be at least trying for Hall.  It would cost a lot and be some fancy fandangling to get it to fit, but that's what we need.

Is it tho? I've yet to see any numbers, stats, or results of his to justify the Hall love in that most seem to have.  Sure if in the off season you can get him as an FA for around 5 mil then why not but theres no reason to be actively pursuing him before the season is up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Nygard clears. 

Jacob de la Rosa on waivers today. Plays a heavy game, solid defensively. Would be a good fit in this system

I dont really know much of his game and I like his size but but do they really need another minimum wage 4th liner at this point in the season?