2021 Waiver News

cross16

Unless the Flames are planning on moving multiple pieces out at the deadline I don’t think claiming anyone on waivers makes sense. They don’t really anyone in the bottom of their lineup and they already have enough dead weight they are giving opportunities too. 

19 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Nick Merkley on waivers today. I would take a shot on him. RHS RW, 23 years old former 1st round pick. Played in Kelowna with Dube.

He cleared which is an oversight in my opinion.

Seems like a Sutter type when his work ethic is described.

Maybe we should trade Kylington for him, since they seem to have no clue how to use him.

Not that he has much trade value, other than a D that could be exposed.

I hate wasting assets and not making improvements that cost nothing.

Mete and Vatanen on waivers today.

I used to have interest in Vatanen, a RHS that used to torture us playing the Ducks.

No idea how he is playing in NJ, but wouldn't he be a better option than Stone?

Pending UFA, that we could sign to an extension and expose.

Or even claim and trade tomorrow.

Crazy talk.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Mete and Vatanen on waivers today.

I used to have interest in Vatanen, a RHS that used to torture us playing the Ducks.

No idea how he is playing in NJ, but wouldn't he be a better option than Stone?

Pending UFA, that we could sign to an extension and expose.

Or even claim and trade tomorrow.

Crazy talk.

I would have been interested in Merkley, as well.

Also interested in both Mete and Vatanen.

Worst case scenario they go back on waivers and potentially clear, now within your organisation for next to nothing.

Merkley was rushed to the NHL

Mete was rushed to the NHL

I'm not saying either one are sure fire Cup Winners, but worthwhile reclamations at the right cost, yes.   And ...free is an acceptable cost.

Vatanen was not getting the minutes you would expect on the Devils who have more options there.    He would get loads of minutes here.   Well, a RHS basketball player would get loads more minutes here.    For free, it'd be a yes for me.

Quite honestly this has been an incredible, incredible year for waivers.   The best I can ...remember.

And, 

we've done nothing.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Worst case scenario they go back on waivers and potentially clear, now within your organisation for next to nothing.

I'm not saying either one are sure fire Cup Winners, but worthwhile reclamations at the right cost, yes.   And ...free is an acceptable cost.

Vatanen was not getting the minutes you would expect on the Devils who have more options there.    He would get loads of minutes here.   Well, a RHS basketball player would get loads more minutes here.    For free, it'd be a yes for me.

Quite honestly this has been an incredible, incredible year for waivers.   The best I can ...remember.

And, 

we've done nothing.

Unless you're looking at or near the playoffs and someone come up that gives you that little extra then sure.  The flames arent in that position and any claims would be a waste of time.  So far theres no one that has come up that would have made any difference in where the team is right now.

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Unless you're looking at or near the playoffs and someone come up that gives you that little extra then sure.  The flames arent in that position and any claims would be a waste of time.  So far theres no one that has come up that would have made any difference in where the team is right now.

I understand that perspective but I do think a talented RHS defenceman such as Vatanen would plug a major major hole in this team and make an immediate difference. 

Don't get me wrong...I want a rebuild...so carry on lol.

But the other two players could potentially help in a rebuild should the organization ever decide to make decisions that involve more than next week's schedule. 

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

And, 

we've done nothing.

We could do Vatanen or Mete, but not both.

MEte never really did anything for me though.

Merkley maybe a step in the right direction.

Vatanen was a player I wished we had traded for years ago.

He's fallen off, but two words; NJ.

I see where we just signed a big RHS RW out of US College.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We could do Vatanen or Mete, but not both.

MEte never really did anything for me though.

Merkley maybe a step in the right direction.

Vatanen was a player I wished we had traded for years ago.

He's fallen off, but two words; NJ.

I see where we just signed a big RHS RW out of US College.

Yeah I hope that new signing is somehow better than his numbers.

They've got the right idea with position and size but geez.

Seems like they should be looking at these waivers. 

11 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Yeah I hope that new signing is somehow better than his numbers.

They've got the right idea with position and size but geez.

Seems like they should be looking at these waivers. 

Look at context; tied with 3 others for team lead in goals this season.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Yeah okay.  Played on a team that went to the Frozen 4.

Team went 22-3-1 this season.

But, hey let's complain about a guy that only scored 10. 

he's probably not worth arguing about but if that is the case he really should have scored a lot more.   That translates to like 2 goals in the NHL and it is hard to be successful like that.   It's a lot harder to pull that off in the NHL now than it was in clutch and grab.  free is free, but  the last 3 players discussed here were all significantly more performant.

anyway i hope he does well it's not a huge deal

19 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

he's probably not worth arguing about but if that is the case he really should have scored a lot more.   That translates to like 2 goals in the NHL and it is hard to be successful like that.   It's a lot harder to pull that off in the NHL now than it was in clutch and grab.  free is free, but  the last 3 players discussed here were all significantly more performant.

anyway i hope he does well it's not a huge deal

Would I prefer that it was Holloway?  Sure.

But a UFA that probably is somewhere in the Hathaway level isn't anything to sneer at.

But of the players we just talked about, Merkey has 3 NHL goals and Mete 4.

Not that I would complain about Merkley being claimed, but Mete is 5'9", which for a defense where we struggle to contain big forwards, is a problem.

Vatanen is another story.  You should never overlook a player, but does it make sense to claim him now?

Better player by far than Stone.

Does it do anything for us at this point to try him out?  Maybe.