2021 Waiver News

cross16

1 hour ago, ABC923 said:

Galy’s a bit of a risk. He’s always been a defensive black hole, and his offence has been declining since he left Mtl. He’s been healthy scratch in Ottawa this season, and Carolina just acquired him and seem to have no interest in playing him. To top it off, if he has already left Canada for Carolina (he probably hasn’t, but it’s possible), he would need to quarantine for two weeks before becoming available to play.  All that said, his whole contract can be buried if needed, so cap concerns are minimal.

He hasn't left Canada so no quarantine period required.

My stance is that Simon and Leivo haven't worked out on a line with Gaudreau and Monahan. If Backlund is going to be out that means Bennett becomes the 3rd line center. This creates an opening on the 2nd line, Galchenyuk has the skill and finishing ability to play on that line and if you use them in a strictly offensive role they should be fine.

Of course if Backlund is not going to miss many or any games, I wouldn't bother putting a claim in as he isn't a guy who will play well in a bottom 6 role.

Worst case scenario is he doesn't work out and you put him back on waivers and he ends up on your taxi squad. The upside is that he finds his offensive touch playing with offensive players.

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

He hasn't left Canada so no quarantine period required.

My stance is that Simon and Leivo haven't worked out on a line with Gaudreau and Monahan. If Backlund is going to be out that means Bennett becomes the 3rd line center. This creates an opening on the 2nd line, Galchenyuk has the skill and finishing ability to play on that line and if you use them in a strictly offensive role they should be fine.

Of course if Backlund is not going to miss many or any games, I wouldn't bother putting a claim in as he isn't a guy who will play well in a bottom 6 role.

Worst case scenario is he doesn't work out and you put him back on waivers and he ends up on your taxi squad. The upside is that he finds his offensive touch playing with offensive players.

The risk is minimal.  

Worse case is Buddy goes to the AHL for now.

Could Galchenyuk be effective with Bennett and Lucic?

Not sure.

Then again, the bottom 6 with Backlund healthy is Backlund with whomever.

You may be right about fitting with Gaudreau.

Offensive player that can shoot.

Either way, I think it makes sense.

Having two AHL players on the roster doesn't bode well.

Especially where both of them have failed to be NHL players for any duration.

I think if the Flames want Galchenyuk, they'll get him. I don't see an American team putting in a claim, a depth player isn't really worth the quarantine IMO.

Ottawa moved him for a reason, they won't put the claim in. Vancouver doesn't have the cap. 

It would make sense to claim him to play on the Monahan line. They haven't found an RW yet. Bennett has been the best fit, but the Backlund injury may put him back to C.

Doesn’t claiming someone ruin what Treliving is trying to do with the cap space? I thought if we are up to the cap limit then LTIR is good, but doesn’t effect anything when we have the space? I am not sure what that means for the cap. 

does LTIR give you more space in the long run? Backs’ money goes to insurance and off the books, then whoever is put in their cap goes against the cap, thus giving us a bit more room in the long run?

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Doesn’t claiming someone ruin what Treliving is trying to do with the cap space? I thought if we are up to the cap limit then LTIR is good, but doesn’t effect anything when we have the space? I am not sure what that means for the cap. 

does LTIR give you more space in the long run? Backs’ money goes to insurance and off the books, then whoever is put in their cap goes against the cap, thus giving us a bit more room in the long run?

That kind of went out the window with Ryan's injury.

He's using 23 players on the roster.

Backlund adds LTIR space if they place him there.

I don't claim to be a cap expert, but the extra cap for Galc doesn't really impact us.

29 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

my understanding is that the Ryan injury means the flames cannot bank any future cap space until he is health and can go on the taxi squad. I think they are in LTIR or past the limit to accumulate cap space. If I am wrong you make a good point that claiming Galchenyuk would impact that. 

no LTIR does not give you more cap space in the long run and you stop accumulating future cap space if you are in LTIR. Which is why Galchenyuk only makes sense if Backs is out long term. At least his contract is such he can go on the taxi squad with full relief. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

my understanding is that the Ryan injury means the flames cannot bank any future cap space until he is health and can go on the taxi squad. I think they are in LTIR or past the limit to accumulate cap space. If I am wrong you make a good point that claiming Galchenyuk would impact that. 

no LTIR does not give you more cap space in the long run and you stop accumulating future cap space if you are in LTIR. Which is why Galchenyuk only makes sense if Backs is out long term. At least his contract is such he can go on the taxi squad with full relief. 

cool! It’s what I thought. I think.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Sorry, what exactly is the way Ward wants to play? 

That is a fair question. To me it seems like he wants to play and heavy/grinding style of game, and have the defense fall back to the front of the net and try to block shots.

8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

That is a fair question. To me it seems like he wants to play and heavy/grinding style of game, and have the defense fall back to the front of the net and try to block shots.

Man we should've just kept Forbort.  He's better than Schenn at this point.  But anyways.  I'm not opposed to Schenn.  I haven't seen him play this season but he brings recent Cup experience and that's a big plus for us.

19 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I don't mind a heavy forecheck, but I don't see that a winning formula with some of our okayers.

It takes skill out of the game.

This is what is so disappointing to me for the Flames and their coaching staff, there is no creativity around the forecheck. I am find if you are going to be a forechecking team, all teams have to, by why do we still have to define forecheck as bodies in the corners, dump ins, and grind it out. to me forecheck means you have the puck and you work the puck around to wear down the opposition. You don't need to crash and bang to do that, you can do it with great player movement in the o zone, passing and good puck movement. 

The Flames have the skill to pull this off but instead we have a coaching staff who insists that forechecking means "pucks in deep". It's super disappointing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

This is what is so disappointing to me for the Flames and their coaching staff, there is no creativity around the forecheck. I am find if you are going to be a forechecking team, all teams have to, by why do we still have to define forecheck as bodies in the corners, dump ins, and grind it out. to me forecheck means you have the puck and you work the puck around to wear down the opposition. You don't need to crash and bang to do that, you can do it with great player movement in the o zone, passing and good puck movement. 

The Flames have the skill to pull this off but instead we have a coaching staff who insists that forechecking means "pucks in deep". It's super disappointing. 

I agree with this 💯.
Tier 1 Guys like Mang and Dube are not going to win a lot of physical battles down low, but they are relentless on the puck and can wear the opposition down by moving their feet and not giving defence any space (also Lindholm)

Tier 2 Guys like Benny, Tkachuk, And Lindy are big enough and agressive enough to throw their weight around but can’t do it shift after shift, they’re not built like that. That’s why they need to be paired with the like of Mang and Dube to create a hybrid of aggressive forecheck and puck pursuit combined with the ability to bang someone when needed.

Tier 3 guys like Looch, Ritchie, sometimes Nordstrom are quick enough to get to the battle but lose the skill battle most of the time and need to use their speed and size to punish d-men and wear them down physically.

Tier 4 guys like Johnny, Backs, Money rarely engage physically but are pretty decent at possession and steals, they need to wait up high or in the wings in order to intercept potential breakout passes. 
Your top lines have to have a mix of all three so there hard to predict and you can attack in a variety of ways. You need to have a bottom line for energy, to punish and wear down the other team. 
This is exactly why the 3M line has success, as well I think we have the right mix of guys to have three lines to balance this attack. 
But dump and chase away, or better yet, enter the zone and button hook every time. Nobody will ever figure any of that out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

there’s also pucks in deep that are strategically placed and that doesn’t seem to happen that often. It happened in a recent game where puck in the corner and I forget who beat them and passed out and we scored on it. But that also seems rare.

to me he feels like a fan who turned coach. We all say the right thing and want the right things to happen, but he has his view of how the game should be played and never strays from it. 

we are all saying the same thing over and over and over. He seems to be doing the same, but in the way he gets the team to play and to his detriment. 

15 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

there’s also pucks in deep that are strategically placed and that doesn’t seem to happen that often. It happened in a recent game where puck in the corner and I forget who beat them and passed out and we scored on it. But that also seems rare.

to me he feels like a fan who turned coach. We all say the right thing and want the right things to happen, but he has his view of how the game should be played and never strays from it. 

we are all saying the same thing over and over and over. He seems to be doing the same, but in the way he gets the team to play and to his detriment. 

This is a perfect example, Johnny was the first to the puck in the corner and didn’t win a physical battle but won a skill battle while the defence felt pressure and blew a tire, and he made a perfect pass to Andersson. This is the kind of forecheck I’m talking about, it needs to be different and unpredictable but still relentless.

On 2/23/2021 at 1:34 PM, JTech780 said:

Well they are not heavy or grinders, but for sure the defense falls back don't want the opposition to have to shoot from too far out. Forecheck lol wtf is that.

• 2 weeks later...

See where Vesey has been waived.

I thought he was better recently, but his fancy stats don't lok great.

There was an unconfirmed report that CGY claimed him.

Won't know for sure until tomorrow I suspect.

Lots of teams higher in priority than us.

Not sure it even makes sense.  Another LHS LW.

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

See where Vesey has been waived.

I thought he was better recently, but his fancy stats don't lok great.

There was an unconfirmed report that CGY claimed him.

Won't know for sure until tomorrow I suspect.

Lots of teams higher in priority than us.

Not sure it even makes sense.  Another LHS LW.

I would be surprised.  He isn't any better than Leivo or anyone else we have currently.