2021 Waiver News

cross16

Waivers are starting to heat but and there is some juicy Calgary news today with both Kylington and Ryan on waivers. Ryan is a stunner for me but I wonder if that's a move to just create some flexibility around using him on the taxi squad. 

In most years I would say Kylington gets claimed but this year I don't think he will. So many guys like him in the league and i'm not sure there is a team that will want to grab him and then play him and that's really the point of waivers. Guess we will see. 

Non Flames new, Corey Perry is also on waivers today which i am intrigued by. if they can sneak Kylington down they'd have room. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Waivers are starting to heat but and there is some juicy Calgary news today with both Kylington and Ryan on waivers. Ryan is a stunner for me but I wonder if that's a move to just create some flexibility around using him on the taxi squad. 

In most years I would say Kylington gets claimed but this year I don't think he will. So many guys like him in the league and i'm not sure there is a team that will want to grab him and then play him and that's really the point of waivers. Guess we will see. 

Non Flames new, Corey Perry is also on waivers today which i am intrigued by. if they can sneak Kylington down they'd have room. 

Ryan is shocking.

I will say that during the playoffs he was a non-factor.

Played very little.

Maybe they are higher on Gawdin than we think.

I can't see why they demote him to taxi squad unless they have an additional C or RW they will use.

It's not like Gawdin was part of the top lines in practices.

Perhaps it's the additional cap savings.

Over $1m.

Kylington is a shocker for me.

They don't have to do that, even if they want to sign Stone.

Unless they want Stone to be the 7th D for the season.

Or they want Mackey on the main squad.

Few extra thoughts for me on this

1. Waiving Ryan and putting him on the taxi squad saves a little over 9K/day for a team that is very tight to the cap. Flames have a light start with a big break and having Ryan on the taxi squad allows for some significant cap savings. It also looks like they plan on running lean to start in order to maximize some cap savings. I thikn both of these moves play into this. 

2. In terms of Ryan only 8 teams can claim in and most of those 8 would burn all of their remaining cap on it. He isn't going to get claimed. 

3. There are close to 100 players on waivers today and many dmen. I think the odds of Kylington getting claimed in this scenario are small and not only does this allow for some cap flexiblity it allows Kylington to get up to game speed. 

I doubt Kylington gets claimed, but Noah Juulsen being claimed gives me slight pause.

If anything, I think it says a lot about Connor Mackey, I don't think Kylington ends up on waivers if the team doesn't believe Mackey is close. 

The folks on 960 talked about flipping a bigger ticket player between the taxi squad and the roster on off days, it was Lucic they tossed around, but I think that's exactly why Ryan was waived.

6 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I doubt Kylington gets claimed, but Noah Juulsen being claimed gives me slight pause.

If anything, I think it says a lot about Connor Mackey, I don't think Kylington ends up on waivers if the team doesn't believe Mackey is close. 

The folks on 960 talked about flipping a bigger ticket player between the taxi squad and the roster on off days, it was Lucic they tossed around, but I think that's exactly why Ryan was waived.

Lucic has a NMC so I don't think they can move him to the taxi squad, and they wouldn't save anymore than they would on Ryan as most of their contracts are going to stay on the books, it's just the $1.075m of cap relief that they will save on.

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

They don't even know the rules?

You can't put Looch on the taxi squad.

What will PO me is if this is just so they can sign Stone and not waive him.

I'm assuming that taxi squad is NHL salaries whether you are on a one way or two way deal.

Only the cap saving is realized in that case, not payroll.

I think they need to also waive Nordstrom.

Nesterov should stay up IMHO, since I think he is the default 6th D-man.

By some accounts, he has played fairly well.

He's well seasoned, and isn't Stone.

If they park Kylington in the AHL and not bother bringing him up, that's hopefully because they are using Mackey regularly.

Not sure I see the fit based on zero NHL experience, but who knows.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I've voiced my interest here as well. But, does that mean he'd have to suit up for us every game or we risk losing him as well? 

13 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

I've voiced my interest here as well. But, does that mean he'd have to suit up for us every game or we risk losing him as well? 

He would have to stay on the active roster yes, not suit up necessarily just be on the roster. If they wanted him on the taxi squad then they'd have to offer him back to Montreal first, then the rest of the league. 

If the Flames wanted Perry, or he wanted to be here for that matter, they would have signed him in the offseason so i think the odds of this happening are as close to zero as you can get. I don't expect it to happen but i've always liked the fir and the player. 

The problem I have with "freeing up his cap space" is IMO there is no good option to replace it. Ryan was one of their more productive players at ES last year (see below) and consistently makes those around him better, never mind his PK impact. 

Given their situation, and how the schedule lines up early on I totally get the idea of using him to create flexibility and I agree with it. Moving on from him would be a downright terrible move. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The problem I have with "freeing up his cap space" is IMO there is no good option to replace it. Ryan was one of their more productive players at ES last year (see below) and consistently makes those around him better, never mind his PK impact. 

Given their situation, and how the schedule lines up early on I totally get the idea of using him to create flexibility and I agree with it. Moving on from him would be a downright terrible move. 

Something was different about him this summer.

He wasn't as effective as he was in the regular season.

FO% down to 43%.

Minutes closer to 10.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Something was different about him this summer.

He wasn't as effective as he was in the regular season.

FO% down to 43%.

Minutes closer to 10.

I think that one is easy, Sam Bennett played extremely well and ate into his minutes. 

But on the PK he was still very good, and he kept their 4th line from getting walked over most nights. For me it makes no sense to talk about wanting to get deeper and add more flexibility to your lineup and then give away one of your most effective bottom 6 and PK pieces. Especially when I don't see who they've brought in that could take on his PK role, and one of the goals Ward should have is creating more PK depth. He got burned bad by that in the playoffs, and will continue to do so especially if has a bigger role in store for Lindholm at 5 on 5. 

I will add I think this discussion is all for nothing. Highly, highly doubt he is getting claimed. 

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ryan is one of the least cost-effective players on the roster right now.  Everything comes back to the cap in a cap world.

so 2 things.

1 - I totally disagree and have demonstrated many times. I don't know how you can be one of the least cost effective players on the roster and outscore more expensive players at 5 on 5. 

2- great they create cap space at the expense of weakening their roster, so what do they do with it? Cap space is only good if you have a plan to use it otherwise what's the value?

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

so 2 things.

1 - I totally disagree and have demonstrated many times. I don't know how you can be one of the least cost effective players on the roster and outscore more expensive players at 5 on 5. 

2- great they create cap space at the expense of weakening their roster, so what do they do with it? Cap space is only good if you have a plan to use it otherwise what's the value?

1. Can't pay anyone $3.15-mil for 10-minutes a night and expect to win.  He gets paid more per-minute than some of our best players.

2. Chicken and the egg.  Can never use the cap space if we don't open it up in the first place.  Opportunity lost if we don't try.

Here is your cautionary tale for those who seems to think losing Ryan would be no big deal. Based on tonight's scrimmager here is likely how the season looks to start

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube

Gaudreau - Monahan - Simon

Leivo - Backlund - Mang

Lucic - Bennett - Nordstrom

That is a scary as heck 4th line and not in a good way. The Flames will be paying 2.2 million, in stead of 3.1mill for for their 4th line center, have no RS center, and will have lost 2 important Pkers in 1 offseason with one outside replacement. 

It's just stupid business when you add it up. 

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Here is your cautionary tale for those who seems to think losing Ryan would be no big deal. Based on tonight's scrimmager here is likely how the season looks to start

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube

Leivo - Backlund - Mang

That is a scary as heck 4th line and not in a good way. The Flames will be paying 2.2 million, in stead of 3.1mill for for their 4th line center, have no RS center, and will have lost 2 important Pkers in 1 offseason with one outside replacement. 

I didn't have a problem with Ryan on the so-called 4th line over Nordstrom.

Bennett hasn't proved anything in the regular season.

He looked good in the playoffs against two teams.

If cap is the only reason for the move, then fine.

Nordstrom is a less effective player.

Gawdin hasn't proved anything.

Ritchie is questionable to provide anything more than Nordstrom, but I don't mind the PTO.

He's a big body.

Teams have to get creative, I get that.

Not much flexibility unless a player actually goes to IR.

Taxi squad is fine if you can actually have available cap to use the player when Tanev is out for a game or two.

Or Bennett is out for a couple.

29 minutes ago, cross16 said:

so 2 things.

I think the value is in the trade deadline, having the space to soak up a higher value contract that can help you win. 

I get it, he helped the player, but he also didn’t seem to move the needle either way 5v5 during any of the playoffs he has played for the Flames. He’s a good guy to have for the regular season. But like most Flames players, he becomes moot when it counts most. 

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube

Leivo - Backlund - Mang

do you think they’ll re-sign Ryan next off-season?