COVID-19 and NHL

The_People1

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dr Fauci now saying he feels Sports could return sooner rather than later under strict quarantine protocals and empty stadiums.

Seems like a horrible idea to me but with how much money is on the line for these leagues you know they'll jump on it. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/15/fauci-sports-return-stadiums-empty/

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Dr Fauci now saying he feels Sports could return sooner rather than later under strict quarantine protocals and empty stadiums.

Seems like a horrible idea to me but with how much money is on the line for these leagues you know they'll jump on it. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/15/fauci-sports-return-stadiums-empty/

Hmm.  We can only assume that this complete 180 in Fauci's message is due to hard facts and solid data.   Not at all a quick chat with Trump and staff.

Just now, redfire11 said:

So Dylan from toronto wants immediate refund on $4000 worth of tickets he bought for "Friends" Right!! Does the word scalper come to mind. (suck it up Dylan)

Agreed. Dylan was going to resell those tickets directly on the Ticketmaster website - which, in my opinion, is the most reprehensible thing that Ticketmaster has ever done (on the long list of reprehensible things that Ticketmaster has done). 

I'm a little bit sad that I'm likely out the $300 I paid for tickets to see the boys in Vancouver on March 27, but if Ticketmaster burns, it's a small price to pay. 

Love. 

19 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Agreed. Dylan was going to resell those tickets directly on the Ticketmaster website - which, in my opinion, is the most reprehensible thing that Ticketmaster has ever done (on the long list of reprehensible things that Ticketmaster has done). 

I'm a little bit sad that I'm likely out the $300 I paid for tickets to see the boys in Vancouver on March 27, but if Ticketmaster burns, it's a small price to pay. 

Love. 

Hopefully you get your money back or worst case a postponed concert ticket.

On 4/17/2020 at 2:03 PM, Heartbreaker said:

Love. 

If it would help end ticketmaster I'd throw in $300 to the cause lol

8 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Hopefully you get your money back or worst case a postponed concert ticket.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

If it would help end ticketmaster I'd throw in $300 to the cause lol

It sort of reminds me of A Bronx Tale, and while the $300 sucks - especially since I had to buy them from a reseller at more than face value on the actual site - it's a price I could live with... 

Love. 

21 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

It sort of reminds me of A Bronx Tale, and while the $300 sucks - especially since I had to buy them from a reseller at more than face value on the actual site - it's a price I could live with... 

Love. 

I almost think that tickets shouldn’t be allowed to be resold. If the buyer wants to sell them through their site, it has to be at face value. But you can’t police that.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I almost think that tickets shouldn’t be allowed to be resold. If the buyer wants to sell them through their site, it has to be at face value. But you can’t police that.

I'm not sure how it is in other cities, but here the resellers are the way to go for buyers unless its a Toronto, Edmonton, Montreal or Vancouver (if they are good) game.  Most seasons if I have one of those games I sell them to make up for any losses I take on games I can't make and can only sell for $15 a seat.  I did have the April 4th Edmonton game and managed to sell it shortly after the last BOA for well above face value on the NHL ticket exchange site.  Do I feel bad for the person who bought it, absolutely.  Do I feel guilty taking the money, no and I'm sure the people who wait it out on Stubhub or other sites don't feel guilty getting seats for next to nothing.

4 hours ago, sak22 said:

I did have the April 4th Edmonton game and managed to sell it shortly after the last BOA for well above face value on the NHL ticket exchange site.  Do I feel bad for the person who bought it, absolutely.  Do I feel guilty taking the money, no and I'm sure the people who wait it out on Stubhub or other sites don't feel guilty getting seats for next to nothing.

Congratulations. I do not condone this behaviour. Of course, it's not like you're alone in this, nor are you the problem specifically, but they used to call this "scalping", and most people wouldn't tolerate it. In fact, it was illegal. The only reason that you're able to do this on the Ticketmaster site is so that they can double down on the service fees. 

I have never sold a ticket for a dollar over face value. Maybe that makes me the sucker, but I've spent enough of my life living hand-to-mouth, and struggling to pay the rent. Events like concerts, or hockey games, are very much a luxury in my world. I don't live in Calgary anymore, so I can't see my boys play against the Panthers on the cheap. I don't much care for subsidizing the middle man, and that's why I've never made money off of tickets. Something about the golden rule, or some other idealistic garbage. 

Love. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

According to Treliving the NHL resuming the season in a few safe sites is gaining momentum

The one thing that is very interesting is how many teams now have guys coming off of injury? We are at a time where some guys would have been healing up. Although, some danger lies in the stoppage, that guys can get injured due to coming in cold. But that's what the training camp would be for. 

16 hours ago, robrob74 said:

The one thing that is very interesting is how many teams now have guys coming off of injury? We are at a time where some guys would have been healing up. Although, some danger lies in the stoppage, that guys can get injured due to coming in cold. But that's what the training camp would be for. 

Well, for sure this benefit teams that lost key players.

Hurts teams that were heating up.

Helps teams that start off strong.

Hurts teams that struggle to start a season.

Honestly, I have no idea how the Flames would be after this long stoppage.

Lots of young players that can get up to speed fast.

Rittich would probably be closer to his earky season play.

Gio would look renewed.

Lucic, Hamonic, Ryan, Talbot, probably would start slow.

The rest are younger or keep in good shape, so the start may be okay. 

22 hours ago, cross16 said:

According to Treliving the NHL resuming the season in a few safe sites is gaining momentum

I suggested Yellowknife but obviously not enough rinks for all teams to practice and such.  What four central cities?  And that also is virus free?  Is there such a location?

On 4/25/2020 at 11:34 AM, The_People1 said:

I suggested Yellowknife but obviously not enough rinks for all teams to practice and such.  What four central cities?  And that also is virus free?  Is there such a location?

Well, the idea is to have two time zones, so that hockey isn;t being played locally at 5:30pm.  

Sure, the teams would adjust to the local time in the days leading up, but there are two sets of time-zones that are key.

Mountain/Pacific and Central/Eastern for the rest.

The West would likely be in a Central or Mountain time city.

The East would be in a Eastern time city.

The real key is local health authorities/testing and availibility of segregation from city life.

City/state/province has to be okay in opening up the venues for play.

Testing has to be easily available (withing 24 hours).

Venues have to have enough practice availibility and dressing rooms for 4 teams.

Have to have infrastructure available to host teams (hotels available, no access to public, meal service, transportation).

Players are isolated from families of players.

The revenue from briadcasting would be pretty darn high, compare to every other season.

No other sports happening.

Summer broadcasting would be have no competition.

People aren't going out.

TV has no new programming really.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Well, the idea is to have two time zones, so that hockey isn;t being played locally at 5:30pm.  

Sure, the teams would adjust to the local time in the days leading up, but there are two sets of time-zones that are key.

Mountain/Pacific and Central/Eastern for the rest.

The West would likely be in a Central or Mountain time city.

The East would be in a Eastern time city.

The real key is local health authorities/testing and availibility of segregation from city life.

City/state/province has to be okay in opening up the venues for play.

Testing has to be easily available (withing 24 hours).

Venues have to have enough practice availibility and dressing rooms for 4 teams.

Have to have infrastructure available to host teams (hotels available, no access to public, meal service, transportation).

Players are isolated from families of players.

The revenue from briadcasting would be pretty darn high, compare to every other season.

No other sports happening.

Summer broadcasting would be have no competition.

People aren't going out.

TV has no new programming really.

I think the idea is to gather all the teams and place them in close enough proximity so that they can play without travel.  I get we can alter the remaining schedule and playoff format so East and West don't meet until the Finals but why risk the travel?  Just put all teams into one area.

Where though?  Toronto, NY, and LA regions are devastated.  The South don't have enough rinks

What does that leave?  Minnesota region, Detroit/Windsor, ?

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think the idea is to gather all the teams and place them in close enough proximity so that they can play without travel.  I get we can alter the remaining schedule and playoff format so East and West don't meet until the Finals but why risk the travel?  Just put all teams into one area.

Where though?  Toronto, NY, and LA regions are devastated.  The South don't have enough rinks

if there aren’t any fans, the arena only needs to be jr sized rinks. Big enough to have tv quality camera crews set up. It’ll be pure hockey and no interference from fans. The true will of the players to play for it. 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Factor in that some of the rinks in the south struggle with keeping good ice in May and June, July will be rough and in most cities.

On 4/26/2020 at 4:41 PM, The_People1 said:

The idea of 4 or more cities is to spread the wealth, and to have enough available rink time for practices and games.

The revenue to the NHL is one thing, but an area getting full hotels and increased catering is huge.

If you just look at continuing the regular season, even 4 cities is problematic.

31 teams trying to fit in 10-16 games each, plus practice.

You can't compress the schedule much.

15-16 teams play every day.

8 games, 2 per rink, plus practices (would could be held in another arena each city).

The playoffs would be half that number.

1 per rink per day.

Trying to do that with one area is impossible.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The idea of 4 or more cities is to spread the wealth, and to have enough available rink time for practices and games.

The revenue to the NHL is one thing, but an area getting full hotels and increased catering is huge.

If you just look at continuing the regular season, even 4 cities is problematic.

31 teams trying to fit in 10-16 games each, plus practice.

You can't compress the schedule much.

15-16 teams play every day.

8 games, 2 per rink, plus practices (would could be held in another arena each city).

The playoffs would be half that number.

1 per rink per day.

Trying to do that with one area is impossible.

I wonder if they'd have to sell their braodcasts like they would sell tickets. Every household would have to pay to watch every game(?), like we're buying tickets to the game itself. Maybe those who haven't paid for a whole season of NHL.com. I don't know how that would work... But I'd assume they'd try to get everyone to pay per view.

It this situation, I might be willing to pay $5-$10?

I see what you mean about cities. I wonder if the NHL would get any of the benefits of having their players in cities, a cut of hotel/catering revenues? I dunno. Probably not, but they may negotiate a deal where they get a significant discount. THey'd also have to ensure that the staff and the whole hotel would be a quarantine/isolation zone.

Archived