Jakob Pelletier - 2019 1st round pick

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Pelletier now up to 25 point in 19 games.

2nd in entire AHL scoring.

Ahead of Jack Quine, who has played 2 less games.

Three behind leader who played 2 more games. 

First yr in the A. Already too good for it. That's impressive as hell. I'll say it again. Our best prospect. Getting on time for a call up.

Stockton having a great year. So you have Phillips, Gawdwiin, Pelltier and Wolf having good years. Ruzica was on a tear in Stockton before he was called up and has looked average. My prediction is we will see Valimaki and Zary catch on fire shortly. It appears we have a soild club in Stockton let them get some winning in their DNA and over ripening. We also have to temper expectations there is not a stud down there right now that will tip the scales joining the big club. All we have down there is putty players, they will temporarly fill the gap, but never be a solution to any problems we have. 

4 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Stockton having a great year. So you have Phillips, Gawdwiin, Pelltier and Wolf having good years. Ruzica was on a tear in Stockton before he was called up and has looked average. My prediction is we will see Valimaki and Zary catch on fire shortly. It appears we have a soild club in Stockton let them get some winning in their DNA and over ripening. We also have to temper expectations there is not a stud down there right now that will tip the scales joining the big club. All we have down there is putty players, they will temporarly fill the gap, but never be a solution to any problems we have. 

Wolf is not ripe yet.

He could come up as a backup and steal the show or put himself in question.

But, I would suggest that Pelletier is the type of player that could absolutely wow in the NHL.

Gaudreau had a slow start (5 games) where it looked like he was going to get sent down.

Then he lit up.

Pelletier is a similar player, but is also a go-to-the-net player.

But the only way it works is if he plays on a line with skill.

No 4th line play.

Think Mangiapane.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Wolf is not ripe yet.

He could come up as a backup and steal the show or put himself in question.

But, I would suggest that Pelletier is the type of player that could absolutely wow in the NHL.

Gaudreau had a slow start (5 games) where it looked like he was going to get sent down.

Then he lit up.

Pelletier is a similar player, but is also a go-to-the-net player.

But the only way it works is if he plays on a line with skill.

No 4th line play.

Think Mangiapane.

But Mangiapane played on the 4th line before getting bumped up to Backlund's wing. Mangiapane started with Ryan. I think Pelletier is too young yet. I think it's best to get him in next year. Maybe a game or two up in the NHL might allow him to see what he needs to work on. I found him to be similar to Dube. I think Dube might be the player to compare him to. I don't even think Dube belongs in the NHL right now. At least not in the role they're using him in. But you're right, if Pelletier were to get a call, he better be playing at the very least a Top9 role. Mangiapane came up, and didn't he go back down and then the next year came up for good? 

I kind of wish they kept Benny playing with Dube. I think Bennett is a better C fit for Dube. That doesn't mean I see him as better than Monahan. But you're right from a previous thread months ago, Bennett would have been claimed anyway. Unless the Kraken still valued Giordano in the situation?

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

But Mangiapane played on the 4th line before getting bumped up to Backlund's wing. Mangiapane started with Ryan. I think Pelletier is too young yet. I think it's best to get him in next year. Maybe a game or two up in the NHL might allow him to see what he needs to work on. I found him to be similar to Dube. I think Dube might be the player to compare him to. I don't even think Dube belongs in the NHL right now. At least not in the role they're using him in. But you're right, if Pelletier were to get a call, he better be playing at the very least a Top9 role. Mangiapane came up, and didn't he go back down and then the next year came up for good? 

I kind of wish they kept Benny playing with Dube. I think Bennett is a better C fit for Dube. That doesn't mean I see him as better than Monahan. But you're right from a previous thread months ago, Bennett would have been claimed anyway. Unless the Kraken still valued Giordano in the situation?

Mangipane was lucky enough to play with guys like Juros (can't remember how to spell it).

That was awile ago, so forgive me for not remembering who else (Hathaway?).

It wasn't s grinder line as much as an energy line.

I don't know that he was played up for any specific reason, but Mange played the end of the 18/19 season with Backs and maybe Tkachuk.  TBH, I forget if one or both, but he really started to produce.  Maybe that was 19/20.

I guess what I am saying is we lack a passer beyond the top line.

Mangiapane can do a lot himself, but his release is whe he scores a lot of goals.

So, why not bring up a passer.

When I said think Mange, I was referring to playing with him.

We always wait on D, which is the right move, but I find we watch the prospects spoil otherwise.

Dube came up a bit early, but he was also nowhere near a p/gp.

Early inuiry, then played too high in the lineup.

Are there any other successes?

Gaudreau was more or less at the same development level as Pelletier.

A playmaker can find that success easier than a scorer.

• 1 month later...

2 goals and 6 points in their last 11 games, some cooling off has occurred.

While we debate whether Pelletier or Zary is our top center, this season could end with Jack Beck as our top forward prospect ahead of them and Coronato, if he does return next week and picks up where he left off.    Francis set to return on Feb 1 as well, and he left December on a high note.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

While we debate whether Pelletier or Zary is our top center, this season could end with Jack Beck as our top forward prospect ahead of them and Coronato, if he does return next week and picks up where he left off.    Francis set to return on Feb 1 as well, and he left December on a high note.

Yeah, Pelletier isn't scoring a lot on COVID.

I doubt you call a LW our top C.

Wolfie with two recent losses in regulation.

Cratered his GAA in them games.

Exciting to see what Beck does, but 12 games in 2 years leaves you wondering if he ever gets on track.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Rory Kerins says hi.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Yeah, Pelletier isn't scoring a lot on COVID.

I doubt you call a LW our top C.

Wolfie with two recent losses in regulation.

Cratered his GAA in them games.

Exciting to see what Beck does, but 12 games in 2 years leaves you wondering if he ever gets on track.

Did Pelletier get Covid?  If so I think that's a free pass.   I don't know if that changes my comments about Beck but definitely covid is clearly making a big short term difference for a lot of players.

38 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Rory Kerins says hi.

Yes good point.  I don't know that you can directly compare Kerins to what Beck did in the first half or to Dustin Wolf who we all agree is our top prospect, but I do think he is part of the Pelletier/Zary/Coronato/Francis conversation, not at all too shabby for a 6th rounder.

12 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Yes good point.  I don't know that you can directly compare Kerins to what Beck did in the first half or to Dustin Wolf who we all agree is our top prospect, but I do think he is part of the Pelletier/Zary/Coronato/Francis conversation, not at all too shabby for a 6th rounder.

Do you ever get tired of this line?lol

Kerins is on a stacked team, but he's also their best play driver. I spent a bit of time trying to find his FO%, but it doesn't seem tracked. I found a stat that was FOW and it said 484. Which is outstanding, given that it has zero context.lol

I missed the one game in November the Soo was here, so have to wait until March for 2 games. The Soo have Memorial Cup potential, so let's hope. I've streamed a few and can say that Kerins is good at everything. He's near the top of the big 3 categories in the O for good reason. I was thinking for fun I'd get tix behind the Soo bench and wear my Mony jersey with a fake Kerins nametag over it(he's #23).lol

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Kerins is on a stacked team, but he's also their best play driver. I spent a bit of time trying to find his FO%, but it doesn't seem tracked. I found a stat that was FOW and it said 484. Which is outstanding, given that it has zero context.lol

I missed the one game in November the Soo was here, so have to wait until March for 2 games. The Soo have Memorial Cup potential, so let's hope. I've streamed a few and can say that Kerins is good at everything. He's near the top of the big 3 categories in the O for good reason. I was thinking for fun I'd get tix behind the Soo bench and wear my Mony jersey with a fake Kerins nametag over it(he's #23).lol

That would be awesome lol.   Always hard to read kids on cup teams but for a 6th rounder it's hard not to be impressed.   Would love to see him go pro

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

He should be in the AHL next season.

That is a good thing.

He's not small, but not big by pro standards.

The downside is we rarely ever give those guys a shot in their projected position.

Sutter seems to look at camp results as being the overall indicator for the season.

To be fair, there hasn't been a lot of opportunity for Ruzie or Pelletier or Phillips in the top 9.

I don't know that playing with Lewis or Pitlick on the 4th line makes sense for any of them.

Ruzie is best at C.  Pelts is a play driver in the top 6.  Phillips is a top 6 finisher.

You really can't utilize them well as 4th line wingers.

• 1 month later...

Do the Flames let Pelletier tear up the AHL next season and bring him up for the last year of his ELC in 2023/2024

OR

Sell high on Mangiapane and replace him with Pelletier on the 2nd line with Backlund next season?

I haven't seen enough of him to determine his defensive capabilities, but he certainly has the motor for it.

Backlund had made several players look great in their first seasons, it might be worth the risk.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

Do the Flames let Pelletier tear up the AHL next season and bring him up for the last year of his ELC in 2023/2024

OR

Sell high on Mangiapane and replace him with Pelletier on the 2nd line with Backlund next season?

I haven't seen enough of him to determine his defensive capabilities, but he certainly has the motor for it.

Backlund had made several players look great in their first seasons, it might be worth the risk.

It's probably more accurate for Pelletier to replace Dube next season. It's too much to ask a rookie to replace a 35-to-40-goal scorer in Mangiapane.  Start Pelletier off in the bottom 6 and shelter him for a year or two.  He's still very young.

I can't see him replacing Mangiapane's 35 - 40 goals, but don't see Dube doing it either.

What do you do then, move Tkachuk back to 2nd line LW, assuming both Gaudreau and Tkachuk are both still with Calgary next season?

That would make Toffoli and Coleman the Top 2 RWs.

It might work.

5 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I can't see him replacing Mangiapane's 35 - 40 goals, but don't see Dube doing it either.

What do you do then, move Tkachuk back to 2nd line LW, assuming both Gaudreau and Tkachuk are both still with Calgary next season?

That would make Toffoli and Coleman the Top 2 RWs.

It might work.

We are getting ahead of ourselves. Mangiapane is not a bonafide 35-40 goal-scorer atm. Maybe he's just a consistent 20 goal guy having a career year, like half of his teammates are?

I'm not against selling high. If he were to get paid based solely on this season, I'd likely prefer it.

13 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Love to see that he impacts the game almost everywhere. Not a surprise just good to see in his rookie year. 

Also crazy that he is putting up the points he is and his finishing is actually quite low so there is room to grow.