Jakob Pelletier - 2019 1st round pick

Didn't' realize there was not a thread.

Pretty impressive post draft season so far for Pelletier.

Named Moncton's captain

up to 3rd in QMJHL scoring. On pace to add 30 points to his totals from last year

Today named to Team Canada's Selection camp for the World Juniors. Most expect him to make the team

He looked decent in camp but yeah not quite there yet.

If he continues his pace though I think he gets a good long look next year.

It sucks that there's only the two options with him though, as there is a point where a player is just too good for the CHL and it's not developmentally beneficial to send them back.

14 hours ago, Sarasti said:

He looked decent in camp but yeah not quite there yet.

If he continues his pace though I think he gets a good long look next year.

It sucks that there's only the two options with him though, as there is a point where a player is just too good for the CHL and it's not developmentally beneficial to send them back.

I feel the rule should be the season directly after the draft and not two seasons. A player should be able to play AHL that year. Like Bennett Had his shoulder surgery , then played OHL, then here for playoffs. After that year he should have had the option to play in the NHL, AHL or OHL, make a clause that it burns a year if playing in the AHL. Te  as ms won’t want to burn a year if it’s for a borderline developing player. But standouts with nothing more to learn should get to go. 

they also have an exceptional rule that allows 15 year olds so they should have that rule for AHL. I don’t think a lot would be jumping from CHL, just the few who can’t learn or is detrimental to developing them by staying.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Pelletier appears to be over his injury. After a slower January he was back to his normal numbers in February. 

8 goals and 19 points in just 13 games. Did not register a single point in only 2 of those 13 games. Back up to 9th in QMJHL scoring. 

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, cross16 said:

Pelletier was traded in the Q today for quite the haul. Will play in Val D'or next season. 

that must mean he’s ineligible to play in Stockton next year. It’s either Calgary or his new team? 

looks like a lot for one year of the player. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

that must mean he’s ineligible to play in Stockton next year. It’s either Calgary or his new team? 

looks like a lot for one year of the player. 

Won't be 20 until March so no AHL.  

So much I dislike about the NHL's return to play and desire to play a full season next year, but the #1 is what it does to the other leagues, it seems weird to have a draft when the junior league is starting up and how many players are going to leave these teams mid-season for good, just brutal for the managers of these teams and the fans.  Based on the circumstances I don't know if I'd even invite any junior players to next seasons training camp unless they had a realistic chance of making it, in Pelletier's case I believe he is better off finishing his junior career.

Any word on Val D'or, I see they were a sub .500 team that qualified for the playoffs.  is there a chance they would compete?  It would just suck for Jakob to play for a mediocre team after missing out on a great chance at the Mem Cup.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Pretty cool that they would make him captain right away. Probably speaks to his character. 

Over this past season I've been watching as much of Pelletier as I can and he plays with a ton of emotion.

He reminds me a lot of Brendan Gallagher with his skillset as well.

Excited to see what he can bring to the Flames.

2 hours ago, Sarasti said:

Over this past season I've been watching as much of Pelletier as I can and he plays with a ton of emotion.

I haven't seen much of him other than highlights. The comparison around the draft was Jaden Schwartz. Is he as much of a pest as Gallagher?

2 hours ago, Sarasti said:

It's good when people can keep tabs on our draft guys.

I don't think there is any concern that he will be a NHL player.

Guys with heart seem to find a way.

I think Phillips would be a shoe-in if we didn't have so many healthy bodies.

Not that the healthy ones are any good.

I wish there was someone among our community that was able to watch Stockton games.

The only person I know of that does is a guy that posts on Flames Nation.

His monikar is Stockton's Finest.

He doesn't comment on every game, just generalizes when a player comes up in a thread.

I'm really interested to see how Pettersen plays out.

As well as Tuulola and Ruzicka.

Those two have NHL size and sluggish starts to their pro careers. 

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I haven't seen much of him other than highlights. The comparison around the draft was Jaden Schwartz. Is he as much of a pest as Gallagher?

Hes got a sweet set of hands in tight and I think that may be where the Schwartz comparisons come from.

He may not be quite as agitating as Gallagher but he is very effective in the dirty areas just like him and how creative and successful he is with puck deflections reminds me of Gallagher quite a bit. Just an all-around sparkplug.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Is this a good move for his development?  Val dor better than Moncton?

Well, he moves to a different conference, so more games again Quebec teams.

He's in the division with Gatineau, Rouyn-Noranda and Blainsville-Boisbriand.

Last year Val-d'Or and Gatineau were in the basement.

Blainsville and Rouyn were in 2nd and 4th in the conference.

I guess you have to look at it like we had in Monahan.

The team he was on sucked.

He turned out fine.

Other than that, I have no idea of the respective coaches or programs they run.

Last year, the highest scoring guy from that team had 50 points.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Well, he moves to a different conference, so more games again Quebec teams.

He's in the division with Gatineau, Rouyn-Noranda and Blainsville-Boisbriand.

Last year Val-d'Or and Gatineau were in the basement.

Blainsville and Rouyn were in 2nd and 4th in the conference.

I guess you have to look at it like we had in Monahan.

The team he was on sucked.

He turned out fine.

Other than that, I have no idea of the respective coaches or programs they run.

Last year, the highest scoring guy from that team had 50 points.

Also, my theory is that they couldn't have made the choice to trade for him if they didn't feel the team would take a step forward, unless it's for purely name recognition. But I wonder if the players they had this season are to take a step and challenge higher in the standings? Why give up so much if you're just going to be a bottom feeder and not able to build the team through the draft? Otherwise this deal makes no sense.

I would think the Foreurs will at least be relevant next season, otherwise they don't give up the assets they did to get Pelletier. That being said the O and Q teams give up crazy assets in trade all the time, not quite the same as the dub. 

It will be interesting because the Foreurs have a very difficult travel schedule. Them and Rouyna are the two most isolated teams geographically. Lots of 4,5,6 hour bus rides. Moncton has very easy travel. If anything it will be a great experience getting him ready for the pro game, lots of time on the road.

20 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Is this a good move for his development?  Val dor better than Moncton?

Yes it is better. Moncton a starting a rebuild and we’re going to lose 3 of their top scorers (outside Pelletier) Due to age and don’t have a lot of young talent to step in. They loaded up to try and get to the Memorial cup. 

Val D’Or is not stocked or a power but they were young this year so easy to see how they can get better. They also have an up an coming  center in Justin Robidas who was just invited to team Canada’s summer camp for Ivan Hlinka.  That should be positive for Pelletier. 

No surprise but Pelletier is invited to Team Canada's summer camp for the 2021 World Juniors. Camp will be held virtually. 

Given the makeup of the roster (less than 50% are drafted) I would suspect Pelleiter to have a large role and maybe even wear a letter.  It's as light on experience a roster as I've ever seen from Team Canada. 

• Like 1

maybe not the most welcome post, but it is interesting to see that the Flames drafted someone who wasn't in Craig Button's first round rankings (Pelletier).

Unusual for the Flames to break rank with him, and after many successful drafts maybe a little alarming.

I'll say it....a year into this and it looks like Craig Button, not the Flames, was right.

FYI according to Button's list, the Flames should have drafted https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/335712/raphael-lavoie.

I.....kind of...wish they did.