2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:52 PM, GM_3300 said:

I wouldn't be so quick to move Lindholm off RW or the 1st line, another season together would be worth exploring again.

The trade I would prefer as a 2nd line C is either Schenn STL or Kadri TOR someone that can push Tkachuk for more offense.

The UFAs I would like to see signed are Hathaway RW 1M, Connolly RW 3.5M and Mrazek G 4.5M

Trade away all of Neal, Frolik, Czarnik, Jankowski, Brodie, Stone and Gilles for whatever Trelviing can get. Maybe we improve our draft position or pick up a useful player or two.

LINEUP

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm

Tkachuk, Schenn, Connolly

Bennett, Backlund, Hathaway

Mangiapane, Ryan, Dube

Giordano, Andersson

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Fantenberg

GOALIES

Mrazek, Rittich

This scenario could also be accomplished by two FA signings in Dzingel C/LW and Connolly RW with tis scenario if Neal remains.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm

Tkachuk, Dzingel, Neal

Bennett, Backlund, Connolly

If Neal is not perfoming shift Connolly up and Neal down. Dzingel is a breakout candidate much like Lindholm and could come in handy should Gaudreau or Tkachuk suffer an injury. Both Dzingel and Connolly are heavy compete players that are good skaters with skills.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bosn111 said:

I believe you are referring to the following athlete:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/trackandfield/caster-semenya-cultural-bias-1.4661929

That is an interesting conundrum indeed. I am really not sure where I lean in this case as the science is inconclusive at best. But as you say, what country someone actually competes for is a very small issue in the grand scheme of things. If they are not good enough to make their home country team, it's not likely that they will significantly alter the overall tournament results.

I don't think that he's referring to Caster Semenya as she's intersex, and does not self identify. She's a woman that has naturally occurring higher levels of testosterone due to a physiological anomaly. I believe that he's referring more to stories like this, and like this, and like this... 

Love. 

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

I don't think that he's referring to Caster Semenya as she's intersex, and does not self identify. She's a woman that has naturally occurring higher levels of testosterone due to a physiological anomaly. I believe that he's referring more to stories like this, and like this, and like this... 

Love. 

Even her case is perplexing.

Was forced to take drugs to lower her testosterone levels.

That was overturned and she participated free from medication in the Olympics.

Then she was banned unless her level was low enough.

Then that was overturned for the time being.

Unlike the West German swimmers of the 70's and 80's, this is a different issue.

Opinion on it is wide, but it always comes back to identify versus biology.

I'm not sure how this is different from a NBA star that is 7 feet tall who has an advantage.

If she took drugs to turn her into a man, it might be different.

Unfortunately, the advantage is less about sport as it is about money.

But, what do I know.

Ahhh, now that is a totally different story. I had not heard that, thanks Heartbreaker.

I am all for supporting how a person identifies with respect to gender. I also believe that there are women who are equal to or superior to men in a variety of sports. Even though I train MMA, I still wouldn't want to fight a female UFC fighter, no thanks. But when it comes to body types, sizes etc, there are reasons that there are weight classes for most martial arts. Maybe it should be the same for other sports too. Male or female, they could adjust sports to make them more open for people of all body types to compete, especially in individual events like track. I wouldn't have Johnny or Mang compete against Hamonic for weightlifting, and look at Usain Bolt (6'5, 207 lbs) vs Andre DeGrasse (5'9, 154 lbs). It is quite likely you would grow the various sports if you created size classes to increase competition. 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Good to hear.  

He's always had the size to play in the NHL.  Hopefully he's developed properly in Europe and ready to make an impact here.

He may end up already being ahead of Puljujarvi in smarts.

Learned the game in a good league with coaches that speak his language (or at least he can communicate wth them).

Don;t want to say too much this early, but he may be a player.

32 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

Time to step away until after the Draft and see what takes place. Maybe even get some yardwork done.

I'm with ya ..  we're at that point where I'm done speculating and suggesting .. I'll save my energy to comment on what does actually happen :) 

On 6/13/2019 at 5:02 PM, travel_dude said:

He may end up already being ahead of Puljujarvi in smarts.

Learned the game in a good league with coaches that speak his language (or at least he can communicate wth them).

Don;t want to say too much this early, but he may be a player.

I feel the same way. I try not to have high expectations of the guy, but he continues to impress. I think he could be great given the right development path.

21 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

You have a house?

🤣 What exactly is your definition of "house"? 

I have a yard, and I could really use about oh ... every poster to get my yard work done. Stupid 4 hours of spring before fire season.

• 2 weeks later...

Tkachuk at 9-9.5 is doable. I get that it's not best case scenario but BT could do it without too many crazy moves.

• Frolik and Brodie need to be traded
  • BT can spend a little over 6 on his goalies
  • May need to have hard negotiation's with Bennett and Mangiapane to save $
  • Stone would not need to be bought out
  • Would have 3-3.5 mill to spend on a Frolik replacement winger (Donskoi, Connolly)

The one potential issue in this scenario is that it limits BT in what he can do. Essentially he has to find a cheaper Frolik replacement and is unable to further improve the forward group.

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Tkachuk at 9-9.5 is doable. I get that it's not best case scenario but BT could do it without too many crazy moves.

• Frolik and Brodie need to be traded
  • BT can spend a little over 6 on his goalies
  • May need to have hard negotiation's with Bennett and Mangiapane to save $
  • Stone would not need to be bought out
  • Would have 3-3.5 mill to spend on a Frolik replacement winger (Donskoi, Connolly)

The one potential issue in this scenario is that it limits BT in what he can do. Essentially he has to find a cheaper Frolik replacement and is unable to further improve the forward group.

I think the 9-9.5 is the realistic range we see on his contract. With some of the other numbers we've seen dealt and talked about in the last little while I'd be surprised if it's any lower than 9.

30 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

I think the 9-9.5 is the realistic range we see on his contract. With some of the other numbers we've seen dealt and talked about in the last little while I'd be surprised if it's any lower than 9.

i think Tkachuk dad/uncle is going to have some major influence on his contract but i'm hoping we're closer to.. 2 years 8 mill.. we need money for a second line center to play with tkachuk.. Backlund and Jankowski are not top 2 centers

Anyone else think Matt Duchene would be a good fit here?  Of course it would make Backlund expendable but that could be a good thing they are both about the same age...Duchene is a bit ore offensive which would be great for line 2 and with Backlund becoming expendable he would be a hot commodity for a good trade return coupled with Frolik wanting out, we could probably leverage one or both of those guys in a decent trade return for a solid RW for the 2nd line and maybe 3/4 line upgrades as well 

just wondering thoughts on that?  

5 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Anyone else think Matt Duchene would be a good fit here?  Of course it would make Backlund expendable but that could be a good thing they are both about the same age...Duchene is a bit ore offensive which would be great for line 2 and with Backlund becoming expendable he would be a hot commodity for a good trade return coupled with Frolik wanting out, we could probably leverage one or both of those guys in a decent trade return for a solid RW for the 2nd line and maybe 3/4 line upgrades as well 

just wondering thoughts on that?  

We don’t have the cap space to do it and all indications are he’s heading to Nashville. 

Backlund has a full NTC, making a trade difficult. He’s also our best defensive centre.

I like this, BT is on the right track, blow it up panic is not something he is gonna entertain which is good...he’s right to maintain and let the team grow, although  there are some areas to address and he’s looking at them he’s not about to make a rash move this is great in my opinion 😊

So tired of the backlund is our best defensive Ctr...that’s great for line 3/4 NOT 2nd line and the money he gets is too high for bottom 6...simple math 

backlund is expendable and NTC move all the time, not sure why people are so afraid of change, seems fans of this team have a hard time letting go...this is a business just cause you live your old Chevy or ford don’t count out the fact the new dodge has better performance, longevity and is cheaper over the long term...just saying look at Iggy that kinda stuff we need to avoid to be successful over time...Backlund is getting to that point and Gio is getting there too it’s time to seriously consider trading in on our old cars while their motors are still running and have some value 

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

So tired of the backlund is our best defensive Ctr...that’s great for line 3/4 NOT 2nd line and the money he gets is too high for bottom 6...simple math 

backlund is expendable and NTC move all the time, not sure why people are so afraid of change, seems fans of this team have a hard time letting go...this is a business just cause you live your old Chevy or ford don’t count out the fact the new dodge has better performance, longevity and is cheaper over the long term...just saying look at Iggy that kinda stuff we need to avoid to be successful over time...Backlund is getting to that point and Gio is getting there too it’s time to seriously consider trading in on our old cars while their motors are still running and have some value 

Feelings, nothing more than feelings ! If this were a team going no where floundering in the middle of the pack I would say sure trade Giordano and Backlund but we are not in that position. This team has its best chance in years to go for a SC and those two players are the very types you want on your team. I liken Backlund to Bozak on STL both making similar money, both experienced all-round Cs. You take STL they had O'Reilly 7.5M, Schenn 5.5M and Bozak 5.2M down the middle which may be what the Flames should consider. Trade for Kadri C from TOR for Brodie to have a more competitive checking 3rd line that can also contribute some offensive. Giordano at 37 is still our best Defenseman. I would still like to see us get Connolly RW as a UFA.

1 hour ago, GM_3300 said:

Feelings, nothing more than feelings ! If this were a team going no where floundering in the middle of the pack I would say sure trade Giordano and Backlund but we are not in that position. This team has its best chance in years to go for a SC and those two players are the very types you want on your team. I liken Backlund to Bozak on STL both making similar money, both experienced all-round Cs. You take STL they had O'Reilly 7.5M, Schenn 5.5M and Bozak 5.2M down the middle which may be what the Flames should consider. Trade for Kadri C from TOR for Brodie to have a more competitive checking 3rd line that can also contribute some offensive. Giordano at 37 is still our best Defenseman. I would still like to see us get Connolly RW as a UFA.

I like Backlund.. I really do but his time here in Calgary Has turned him almost exclusively into a third line defensive center .. He is not a second line offensive center,, Unfortunately.. He costs too much for a third line center and we have Dube who is a much better skater and cheaper player for that role.. We don't have the cap room for the luxury of playing backlund in that role and Tkachuk really needs a center more focused on offence to maximize his talents.. Also it looks more and more like neal is going to be here for another year and play right wing on the second line.. if Gaudreau/Monahan/lindholm. is the top line.. Tkachuk/? /neal is the second line.. Bennett/ Dube/ Hathaway  the third line/ mangiapane/Ryan/ Czarnick . the fourth line. with 2 spares.. this fits into trelivings plan of minimal player change.. Change through player growth.. and some expensive contracts to ship out to help our cap situation allowing us to pay a decent price for a top two line center,, And No,, I don't think Duchesne at 9 mill a year is that player

7 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

I like Backlund.. I really do but his time here in Calgary Has turned him almost exclusively into a third line defensive center .. He is not a second line offensive center,, Unfortunately.. He costs too much for a third line center and we have Dube who is a much better skater and cheaper player for that role.. We don't have the cap room for the luxury of playing backlund in that role and Tkachuk really needs a center more focused on offence to maximize his talents.. Also it looks more and more like neal is going to be here for another year and play right wing on the second line.. if Gaudreau/Monahan/lindholm. is the top line.. Tkachuk/? /neal is the second line.. Bennett/ Dube/ Hathaway  the third line/ mangiapane/Ryan/ Czarnick . the fourth line. with 2 spares.. this fits into trelivings plan of minimal player change.. Change through player growth.. and some expensive contracts to ship out to help our cap situation allowing us to pay a decent price for a top two line center,, And No,, I don't think Duchesne at 9 mill a year is that player

I think the problem is we don't have a 2nd line offensive line.

Bennett should have been the start of that, or Tkachuk with an offensive C.

Backlund plays the 2nd most minutes of our C's, so we have to lessen the role to turn Backlund into a 3rd C.

I'm all for swapping Backlund for a more offensive guy, but someone needs to trade that to us.

Duchene in FA, followed by Backlund traded for a RW.

Or Schenn for Backlund.

Something like that.

Archived