2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

46 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would be more disappointed if he was a RW or RHS.  

He will get opportunity in EDM, assuming he's better than Rieder.

A one year deal is pretty low risk.

This. 

LHS LW.  He was never going to play over Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Bennett, and Mangiapane.  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tkachuk - Marner (Gaudreau+Brodie) - Lindholm

Zucker (Frolik+Janko) - B.Tkachuk (Monahan) - Kessel (Backlund+)

Bennett - Dube - (UFA/Neal)

Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway

Giordano - Andersson

Hanifin - Hamonic

Valimaki - Stone/Fantenberg/Prout

Rittich

(Need to upgrade G)

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Tkachuk - Marner (Gaudreau+Brodie) - Lindholm

Zucker (Frolik+Janko) - B.Tkachuk (Monahan) - Kessel (Backlund+)

Bennett - Dube - (UFA/Neal)

Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway

Giordano - Andersson

Hanifin - Hamonic

Valimaki - Stone/Fantenberg/Prout

Rittich

(Need to upgrade G)

I get the thinking but putting two wingers as our top 2 centers probably makes this team weaker not stronger.

I'm not on board the Marner Express, I like the player but I think the 25 point jump over last season is more contributed to Tavares coming in than growth in Marner.  I think the acquisition cost and the next contract are enough to scare me off, is he a 90+ point guy or a 70?  I think that makes a few million difference in negotiations and I don't think the 90 would automatically show up with Tkachuck based off 4 year old chemistry against kids and Lindholm who may be coming off a career blip himself, neither are anything close to Tavares.

45 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Considering Monahan should move to LW and Backlund has lost his offense... I think it's a fair upgrade.

Still asking two guys who haven't played center to play one of the toughest positions in hockey.

22 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I'm not on board the Marner Express, I like the player but I think the 25 point jump over last season is more contributed to Tavares coming in than growth in Marner.  I think the acquisition cost and the next contract are enough to scare me off, is he a 90+ point guy or a 70?  I think that makes a few million difference in negotiations and I don't think the 90 would automatically show up with Tkachuck based off 4 year old chemistry against kids and Lindholm who may be coming off a career blip himself, neither are anything close to Tavares.

Marner drove that offense on that line very similarly to the way Gaudreau drives the offense on our top line.

46 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Marner drove that offense on that line very similarly to the way Gaudreau drives the offense on our top line.

Yes, but whether he drove that line or not Tavares is a nice compliment that we don't have anything similar is all I'm saying, especially if Monahan is also gone.  I just don't know if I'd go 11 million for a Marner, I wouldn't even go that high for Gaudreau at this point, as just like Marner I don't know if Gaudreau is really a 99 point guy or a 70-80 point guy.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Still asking two guys who haven't played center to play one of the toughest positions in hockey.

Except both Marner and B.Tkachuk were drafted as Centers and played Center.

Marner was second line C until Tavares crowded the space.  So he moved over to the right side.

Brady was on/off at Center in Ottawa.  Certainly started there before moving to LW to finish the final month of the season.  He did well at C.

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Except both Marner and B.Tkachuk were drafted as Centers and played Center.

Marner was second line C until Tavares crowded the space.  So he moved over to the right side.

Brady was on/off at Center in Ottawa.  Certainly started there before moving to LW to finish the final month of the season.  He did well at C.

Neither were drafted as centers.

Marner played the wing in junior and outside of maybe a game or two has never played center in the NHL. Kadri was the 2nd line center till Tavares came to town.

Tkachuk played wing in college and with National Development Team. Ottawa might be trying to convert him to a center, but he played wing most his time this past season.

JankowskiNone of us have any idea what BT will do however he usually has one big deal follow by few other moves. He has a chance to improve the by subtraction and improved additions. My beef last season was BP never got the middle 6 forward lines to be productive. Once again we saw Gaudreau and Monahan benefit a player such as Lindholm who had never enjoyed such success. I believe the key to next season is eliminating the weaknesses and adding some even better players. I think we all agree the ones to go will or should be Neal, Frolik, Jankowski, Brodie and Stone. The other UFA that could be gone Smith, Hathaway, Fantenberg and Prout. Here is what I would like to see BT aim for with trade deals and UFA signings.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Nylander (trade Brodie and our 2019 1st to TOR for Nylander)

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lindholm (going against popular thinking and giving Bennett one more chance at C with talented line mates)

Wennberg, Backlund, Connolly (trade Neal and a 2nd for Wennberg from CBJ) and (sign Connolly UFA)

Mangiapane, Ryan, Sisson ( trade Czarnik for Sisson from NSH)

Rychel , Lazar (signed to new two way contracts)

DEFENSE

Giordano, Andersson

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Prout (sign back Prout and Fantenberg)
Fantenberg

GOALIES
Rittich, McElhinney (Signed UFA) Give Rittich the vote of confidence to start.

Trade Frolik for 2-2nd rounders one 2019 and one 2020.

Trade Stone for whatever pick we can get to move him.

Trade Jankowski for picks

42 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Neither were drafted as centers.

Marner played the wing in junior and outside of maybe a game or two has never played center in the NHL. Kadri was the 2nd line center till Tavares came to town.

Tkachuk played wing in college and with National Development Team. Ottawa might be trying to convert him to a center, but he played wing most his time this past season.

Interesting.

I had thought Marner was Center in London and Dvorak was RW.  But i stand corrected.  Though, i do remember Marner as a Rookie with the Leafs at Center.  Not sure if it's a Mandela Effect mistaking Marner with Nylander or maybe Yahoo Fantasy messed me up giving Marner C/RW eligibility... Not too sure.  

As for Brady Tkachuk, I remember he was listed as a Center in his draft year being compared to the other Centers in the draft.  I thought the Sens were trying to ease Tkachuk into the NHL at Center by playing him on the LW first... and trying him at Center from time to time.

Thanks.  I will re-evaluate my roster planning.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Interesting.

I had thought Marner was Center in London and Dvorak was RW.  But i stand corrected.  Though, i do remember Marner as a Rookie with the Leafs at Center.  Not sure if it's a Mandela Effect mistaking Marner with Nylander or maybe Yahoo Fantasy messed me up giving Marner C/RW eligibility... Not too sure.  

As for Brady Tkachuk, I remember he was listed as a Center in his draft year being compared to the other Centers in the draft.  I thought the Sens were trying to ease Tkachuk into the NHL at Center by playing him on the LW first... and trying him at Center from time to time.

Thanks.  I will re-evaluate my roster planning.

I think you will see Brady Tkachuk LW, Colin White C, Bobby Ryan RW as a line for OTT. I don't know why you think these teams will even consider trading their star prospects they will need themselves.

On 5/25/2019 at 12:25 PM, The_People1 said:

Considering Monahan should move to LW and Backlund has lost his offense... I think it's a fair upgrade.

When did Backlund lose his offense? 21 goals (1 short of his career high), 47 points (tied for second best of his career).  It's fair to ask if we should expect more from someone slotted in a our 2nd line center, but he still puts up the points we should expect from him given what he's done in the past.

5 hours ago, MAC331 said:

No talk about bringing Ferland back which is surprising. What kind of number does everyone think signs him ? Could we get him back between 2.5M and 3.5M ?

I think at the right price most of us would jump at that, but I'd be surprised if he dropped below 4M per season.  Given he would likely be a 3rd line winger (maybe 2nd), and the fact he's always a complimentary player (doesn't really drive the offense), I'd be nervous paying him more then 3M per on a 3 year deal, and he's worth more than that on the open market.

How about a inhouse lineup with no trades.

Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkachuk

Monahan, Backlund, Ryan

Mangiapane, Bennett, Neal

Dube, Jankowski, Hathaway

Rychel , Lazar, Czarnik (Lazar on a two way)

Girodano, Andersson

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Brodie

Kylington

Rittich, McElhinney (UFA)

Would this team be good enough to win a SC ?

5 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

How about a inhouse lineup with no trades.

Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkachuk

Monahan, Backlund, Ryan

Mangiapane, Bennett, Neal

Dube, Jankowski, Hathaway

Rychel , Lazar, Czarnik (Lazar on a two way)

Girodano, Andersson

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Brodie

Kylington

Rittich, McElhinney (UFA)

Would this team be good enough to win a SC ?

Without any improvements, this team is gonna get a big bowl of disappointment. Way too many career years last year, to expect Monahan to continue to be an 82 point player is a tall ask, same with Johnny, I don't think he's a perennial 100 point player. Players will regress next year. That being said they should still be a playoff team, but a little help from outside the organization would be beneficial

46 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Without any improvements, this team is gonna get a big bowl of disappointment. Way too many career years last year, to expect Monahan to continue to be an 82 point player is a tall ask, same with Johnny, I don't think he's a perennial 100 point player. Players will regress next year. That being said they should still be a playoff team, but a little help from outside the organization would be beneficial

While I don't subscribe to his concepts, I think you underestimate the players.

The top line fell apart at the end of the the season and still managed to be p/gp players or close to it.

There's nothing about them that appeared to be satisfied with the results.

The top duo has managed to put together strong seasons regardless of the third on the line.

The top 5 players, including Gio, benefitted from the PP, which is normal.

The results don;t scream overachieving.

On 5/22/2019 at 11:40 AM, The_People1 said:

Depends on the price.  Right?

My main reserve is when he was drafted by the Oilers, all you can see on his face was his smile because he said he grew up in Regina a big Oilers fan (aka hates the Flames).  His heart wouldn't be here.

Not that he has any.  He doesn't really compete at an NHL level.   Just a guy happy to pad his stats.  If there are better choices then I would pass on Eberle for sure.

Eberle just got married .. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him go back to Edmonton

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I believe the route for change has to start at the top and now that Peters and Treliving have had a year together what style of team do they want ?

We lacked speed.

We lacked size.

We lacked a consistent compete effort.

We lacked experience to a certain degree which may improve with those remaining.

We could point fingers all day long at certain players coming out of the COL series however the more important timeframe and indicator came after the AS break. It was like the whole attitude change and instead of continuing to improve their play became sloppy and unorganized right into the first round. We as fans don't get to know or experience what goes on between players relationships or player/coaches relationships but it sure appeared like a bad vibe took over the team. I say this because they quit playing as units and as a team that should have been playing for each other like in the first half. After last season they determined they had a problem with Hamilton and dealt with it with a very good trade.

I don't pretend to know what's going on but I think there are some players that once again need to go and should go in order for Peters to get the style of team he wants here. Treliving has had a role as GM in what has led up to this point and situation paying players more than they are worth to be here because he felt they had a purpose here. He needs to correct is own mistakes and the team's weaknesses in order to bolster this team for success. The players that need to go are Neal, Frolik, Stone, Brodie and Backlund IMO some how, some way. Should Treliving recapture these funds, he should be able to get as good or better players at the appropriate prices for their roles on the team.

This may surprise some but the one move I would make is remove Lindholm from playing with Gaudreau and Monahan  Call it a hunch but something personal effected the play of that line and not in a good way. I would move him back to C with Tkachuk unless something better presents itself for another 2nd line C then he can remain on RW.

Just put this in another thread about hearing Burke suggest an OS on Kapanen at 4.5M and it cost us a 2nd round pick. I like this OS suggestion, more pedestrian than going after a big name like Marner and the expense related to him. If we scored Kapanen we could deploy some of our own differently with improved results.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Kapanen (OS)

Tkachuk, Lindholm, Connolly (UFA)

Mangiapane, Ryan, Neal

Bennett, Dube, Hathaway (UFA resigned)

Quine RFA, Rychel RFA, Lazar RFA (all resigned) 

TRADE Backlund, Frolik, Jankowski and Czarnik

DEFENSE
Giordano, Andersson

Hanafin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Brodie

Fantenberg UFA, Prout UFA both signed back)

TRADE Stone

GOALIES
Rittich, McElhinny (signed UFA 1 year deal) 

Here's my crack at it.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm  (Cap Hit: $17.975M)

Tkachuk-Karlsson-Connolly (Cap Hit: $19M)

Bennett-Backlund-Neal (Cap Hit: $13.85M)

Mang-Ryan-Dube (Cap Hit: $5.4M)

Hathaway ($1.2M)

Gio-Anderson ($7.5)

Hanifin-Hamonic ($8.8)

Valimaki-Fantenberg ($2)

Kylington ($0.73)

Rittich-Talbot ($6)

Buyouts: Brouwer ($1.5)

Total Cap Hit: 83.95 Million

The cap should be around 83 million this year, so we would have to find about a million in savings from this projection.  Obviously unloading Neal would help tremendously, but Bennett could be the best option that is doable.

21 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Here's my crack at it.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm  (Cap Hit: $17.975M)

Tkachuk-Karlsson-Connolly (Cap Hit: $19M)

Bennett-Backlund-Neal (Cap Hit: $13.85M)

Mang-Ryan-Dube (Cap Hit: $5.4M)

Hathaway ($1.2M)

Gio-Anderson ($7.5)

Hanifin-Hamonic ($8.8)

Valimaki-Fantenberg ($2)

Kylington ($0.73)

Rittich-Talbot ($6)

Buyouts: Brouwer ($1.5)

Total Cap Hit: 83.95 Million

The cap should be around 83 million this year, so we would have to find about a million in savings from this projection.  Obviously unloading Neal would help tremendously, but Bennett could be the best option that is doable.

Maybe you mentioned it elsewhere, but Brodie goes for Karlsson?  I get that, but wasn;t sure if that was the complete deal or not.  Your roster seems to be missing Janko, Frolik and Czarnik, plus Stone isn;t there.  Connolly is, but that's a UFA signing.  It's all good, but I don;t like the idea of Neal on a defensive line.  With all those decent players, you could come up with a few combos that could work.  

Archived