2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

Now that most of the disappointment of our 2018-19 season ending the way it did, what are the thoughts heading into the offseason ?

DRAFT

Should we keep the 1st round pick or trade it ?

Can we trade some players and obtain more draft picks for this one ?

Which players wold be good targets in the first 3 rounds ?

REVISED ROSTER

Which elements are lacking in order for the team to be improved ?

Which current players should be subtracted ?

Which NHL players should be targeted as new additions ?

ORGANIZATIONAL DEPTH

What RFAs should be signed up and where should they play ?

Which players domestic and international should be targets for our AHL and ECHL teams ?

THOUGHTS

I would use the 1st round pick if it helped us get a additional top 6 forward in a trade.

These subtractions may surprise some however they should help with an improved draft position and possibly bring back some required needs.

SUBTRACTIONS: Backlund, Frolik, Neal, Brodie and Stone.

ADDITION TARGETS: Schenn C, Kapanen RW, Dzingel C/LW, Connolly RW. I think we are good on defense should we sign back Fantenberg. Two Goalies I would target are Mrazek UFA and Allen TRADE.

Hopefully this thread can bring in the numerous conversations currently spread out in to many places.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, copied from other thread.... 

Goalies:  We have a goalie in Rittich, who was top-notch until he was injured at the end of 2018.  Adding another 1B youngish vet, like Lehner(UFA) might be beneficial.  We did not bomb out in the playoffs because of our goalies, no matter how determinedly certain people on here beat that drum.  I would move on from Smith as I think we should be continuing to build for the future.

1C/RW: I have been suggesting Monahan wasn't enough for our 1C for several years.  We should keep him and move him to 1RW, although if we could have landed and signed Stone to 1RW that might have worked with Gaudreau and Monahan.  Internally, we don't have the right guy.  I would be open to trading Monahan for a more dynamic guy.  Of all possibly available 1C candidates I would say, in order of preference, Getzlaf, Malkin, Point(RFA), Duchene(UFA) and Hayes(UFA).  I might be willing to pick up both Getzlaf and Perry which might address both our 1C and RW issues, though not for the LT.... 3-5 years max.  People hate those guys and for good reason, they are tough, mean and proven winners.  They might be had for relatively cheap.  I would give up Monahan and Jankowski.  Any of Point, Duchene or Hayes would be a bonus.  I would also look to Winnipeg and try to pick up Trouba for Hamonic.  I would also approach NYR and try to pick up Brendan Lemieux, and be open to the Frolik(+...) for Zucker deal.  Finally TML's Kapanen is intriguing, an offer sheet might work there.  Dreaming, but could we get either of Alex Tuch(VGK) or Athanassiou(DET).... both big, tough fast with offensive upside.

D: On D I would be trading Brodie(+) and trying to pick up a tougher D-man a la Ristolainen or Nurse. Anderson and Valimaki are off limits and I'd keep Kylington for his speed as a 7D.  

No opinions yet on draft picks.  If you get a top6 forward for the 1st rounder, I'd probably be open, but he'd have to be under 25/26.

DRAFT

I would keep the first unless we are landing a great young player who will be a part of the core group moving forward.  I don't like trading firsts in back to back years, and we did not have one last season.  I don't know much about this year's draft class, but could see a guy like Cole Caufield dropping.  He's kind of like a right handed Gaudreau, but is more of a sniper.  He's small (Johnny sized), and appears to off to college, so even though he's the eighth rated prospect he could easily slide.  Very dynamic by all accounts though, put up an amazing 14 goals and 18 points in 7 games at the world juniors this year.  

As far as trades, I think we are in a good position to move Frolik and Brodie, and one of those guys should net us at least a 2nd rounder.

1 hour ago, cccsberg said:

OK, copied from other thread.... 

Goalies:  We have a goalie in Rittich, who was top-notch until he was injured at the end of 2018.  Adding another 1B youngish vet, like Lehner(UFA) might be beneficial.  We did not bomb out in the playoffs because of our goalies, no matter how determinedly certain people on here beat that drum.  I would move on from Smith as I think we should be continuing to build for the future.

1C/RW: I have been suggesting Monahan wasn't enough for our 1C for several years.  We should keep him and move him to 1RW, although if we could have landed and signed Stone to 1RW that might have worked with Gaudreau and Monahan.  Internally, we don't have the right guy.  I would be open to trading Monahan for a more dynamic guy.  Of all possibly available 1C candidates I would say, in order of preference, Getzlaf, Malkin, Point(RFA), Duchene(UFA) and Hayes(UFA).  I might be willing to pick up both Getzlaf and Perry which might address both our 1C and RW issues, though not for the LT.... 3-5 years max.  People hate those guys and for good reason, they are tough, mean and proven winners.  They might be had for relatively cheap.  I would give up Monahan and Jankowski.  Any of Point, Duchene or Hayes would be a bonus.  I would also look to Winnipeg and try to pick up Trouba for Hamonic.  I would also approach NYR and try to pick up Brendan Lemieux, and be open to the Frolik(+...) for Zucker deal.  Finally TML's Kapanen is intriguing, an offer sheet might work there.  Dreaming, but could we get either of Alex Tuch(VGK) or Athanassiou(DET).... both big, tough fast with offensive upside.

D: On D I would be trading Brodie(+) and trying to pick up a tougher D-man a la Ristolainen or Nurse. Anderson and Valimaki are off limits and I'd keep Kylington for his speed as a 7D.  

No opinions yet on draft picks.  If you get a top6 forward for the 1st rounder, I'd probably be open, but he'd have to be under 25/26.

Definitely came away with confidence in that Rittich is NHL calibre. I like the idea of matching him up with Mrazek another Czech.

My thoughts are similar regarding Monahan only m fix is use Lindholm as the 1st C and move Tkachuk to RW not Monahan. Move Monahan down to 2nd line LW as he does his best work in front and the LS. Tkachuk is the more versatile and I think he would adapt to RW quickly. Then you need a C and RW that are exceptional skaters with some talent to go with Monahan, C should be a good playmaker. The two I like are Dzingel and Kapanen here.

Now is the time I think Bennett can take over for Backlund so trade him for top value. Build a new 3rd line Mangiapane LW, Bennett C, Connolly RW (UFA) good combination of speed, size and compete level.

For our 4th line I wouldn't mind seeing some youth worked in Dube LW, Ryan C, Foo RW.

I think we are good on D if they bring back Fantenberg while trading off Brodie and Stone. BT may surprise us with a few signings on D which is the rumor.

1 hour ago, ABC923 said:

DRAFT

I would keep the first unless we are landing a great young player who will be a part of the core group moving forward.  I don't like trading firsts in back to back years, and we did not have one last season.  I don't know much about this year's draft class, but could see a guy like Cole Caufield dropping.  He's kind of like a right handed Gaudreau, but is more of a sniper.  He's small (Johnny sized), and appears to off to college, so even though he's the eighth rated prospect he could easily slide.  Very dynamic by all accounts though, put up an amazing 14 goals and 18 points in 7 games at the world juniors this year.  

As far as trades, I think we are in a good position to move Frolik and Brodie, and one of those guys should net us at least a 2nd rounder.

The one player I would use that 1st on would be Kapanen. Dubas has a problem he needs to solve and he likes planning with young players, not adding money helps him and he adds a player from the draft. 

I think by trading the players I have suggested we should be able to load up on draft picks.

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Bergevin in MON is looking for a top 4 defenseman, what about Brodie for Armia RW and a 3rd. He would fit our 3rd line.

I think Brodie will be highly sought after I think he could get a pair of picks, maybe even 2 2nd’s with a contract extension included as well as a player like Armia as you suggested 

23 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Now that most of the disappointment of our 2018-19 season ending the way it did, what are the thoughts heading into the offseason ?

DRAFT

Should we keep the 1st round pick or trade it ?

Can we trade some players and obtain more draft picks for this one ?

Which players wold be good targets in the first 3 rounds ?

REVISED ROSTER

Which elements are lacking in order for the team to be improved ?

Which current players should be subtracted ?

Which NHL players should be targeted as new additions ?

ORGANIZATIONAL DEPTH

What RFAs should be signed up and where should they play ?

Which players domestic and international should be targets for our AHL and ECHL teams ?

THOUGHTS

I would use the 1st round pick if it helped us get a additional top 6 forward in a trade.

These subtractions may surprise some however they should help with an improved draft position and possibly bring back some required needs.

SUBTRACTIONS: Backlund, Frolik, Neal, Brodie and Stone.

ADDITION TARGETS: Schenn C, Kapanen RW, Dzingel C/LW, Connolly RW. I think we are good on defense should we sign back Fantenberg. Two Goalies I would target are Mrazek UFA and Allen TRADE.

Hopefully this thread can bring in the numerous conversations currently spread out in to many places.

well this could get lengthy.. lol.. I feel the Flames are definitely close but like most.. Strongly feel we are in need of another top 2 centerman. as well as a top 2 right winger.. Of our core four.. Monahan/Jonny/Lindy and Thachuk, all but Lindy are left handed. So, definitely in the market for a top 2 rhc and a top 2 rh winger.. Monahan has not shown the fire/spark and inspiration needed in a number one center but i'm not ready to move him or switch positions.. maybe all he needs is someone with experience as a leader to show him the intensity required to be successful.. But.. having said this.. This is his make or break season.. Backlund is not.. has not and never will be an offensive center.. he is however, a top notch defensive center , amongst the best in the league.. I feel also that he has one more year with us in this role before moving along before we lose any trade value .. a la iginla thing.. Dube is the perfect replacement and one year spelling off Backlund to learn the role  and we are set there as well.. Bennett is my permanent 3rd line left winger.. he is not a centerman but his intensity is prototypical of the type of player I want on my team.. Neal and frolik are left for the right winger spot on that line.. Both have issues.. One stays /one goes.. I'm pretty sure frolik will be the one to leave as neal's contract and play last year have probably diminished his returns to minimal.. I'd keep Frolik but there are management issues with his camp.. Fourth line of Ryan /hathaway/Mangiapane are fine .. On defence,, Brodie is done here.. We need a defensive leader in the mold of Gio to play with Valamaki on the third pairing.. Other than that. I'd leave the defence alone.. Yes.. Smith kinda redeemed himself in the playoffs but I can't stand another year of Goal!!! High glove side!!. His overall reaction time has gotten noticeably slower and every sniper in the league seems aware of that.. So.. Yes... We need a younger goalie to spell off Rittich.. Goalie coach.. gone!! Who the hell listens to him anyways.. Peter's was fine.. not outstanding in his first year here but he needs better assistants.. Gelinas.. Thanks for your efforts.. here's a package.. No Sorry.. we don't have any room in upper management because we are signing Hakan Loob as assistant g.m. and heir apparent to Treliving.. As far as trading the first round pick.. I wouldn't do it.. unless it's to move up.. not down..

54 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

well this could get lengthy.. lol.. I feel the Flames are definitely close but like most.. Strongly feel we are in need of another top 2 centerman. as well as a top 2 right winger.. Of our core four.. Monahan/Jonny/Lindy and Thachuk, all but Lindy are left handed. So, definitely in the market for a top 2 rhc and a top 2 rh winger.. Monahan has not shown the fire/spark and inspiration needed in a number one center but i'm not ready to move him or switch positions.. maybe all he needs is someone with experience as a leader to show him the intensity required to be successful.. But.. having said this.. This is his make or break season.. Backlund is not.. has not and never will be an offensive center.. he is however, a top notch defensive center , amongst the best in the league.. I feel also that he has one more year with us in this role before moving along before we lose any trade value .. a la iginla thing.. Dube is the perfect replacement and one year spelling off Backlund to learn the role  and we are set there as well.. Bennett is my permanent 3rd line left winger.. he is not a centerman but his intensity is prototypical of the type of player I want on my team.. Neal and frolik are left for the right winger spot on that line.. Both have issues.. One stays /one goes.. I'm pretty sure frolik will be the one to leave as neal's contract and play last year have probably diminished his returns to minimal.. I'd keep Frolik but there are management issues with his camp.. Fourth line of Ryan /hathaway/Mangiapane are fine .. On defence,, Brodie is done here.. We need a defensive leader in the mold of Gio to play with Valamaki on the third pairing.. Other than that. I'd leave the defence alone.. Yes.. Smith kinda redeemed himself in the playoffs but I can't stand another year of Goal!!! High glove side!!. His overall reaction time has gotten noticeably slower and every sniper in the league seems aware of that.. So.. Yes... We need a younger goalie to spell off Rittich.. Goalie coach.. gone!! Who the hell listens to him anyways.. Peter's was fine.. not outstanding in his first year here but he needs better assistants.. Gelinas.. Thanks for your efforts.. here's a package.. No Sorry.. we don't have any room in upper management because we are signing Hakan Loob as assistant g.m. and heir apparent to Treliving.. As far as trading the first round pick.. I wouldn't do it.. unless it's to move up.. not down..

Some good comments but I have to say your management comments are nowhere near being correct. Gelinas is already upper management and Loob is our top scout in Europe where he lives and likes it. Conroy is next to BT and doing a great job. Peters and his Assistants are much like players in their first season with the team finding out all kinds of things about each other. Treliving and Peters will now be more familiar with each other and be able to have the time to address player issues and what changes are required.

You could be right about leaving Monahan at C having the entire line stay together. What they accomplished in the first half shouldn't be ignored but all 3 need to ask themselves why they collectively became average in the second half.

If the 1st line stays together Tkachuk remains on LW and I agree we need someone better than Backlund and Frolik as his line mates. There building of this line and our 3rd line will be the most important moves BT and BP can do to improve the team over this season. I believe we are always going to need fast talented line mates with offensive upside to play along with Tkachuk. There have been a lot of good suggestions put forth however the move that needs to be accomplished by BT is moving out Neal rather than hope for a bounce back season. I don't think he fits with BP's style of desired play.

SUGGESTIONS FOR C, 2nd line: Duchene UFA, Kadri TRADE, Schenn TRADE, Hayes UFA and Dzingel UFA have been mentioned.

SUGGESTIONS FOR RW, 2nd line: Kapanen TRADE, Braydon Point TB would be great but I doubt they let him get away. ?????

You mentioned Backlund being ere another season and Bennett not being an NHL C which I disagree with given his progress this season. I think we could do well by trading Backlund and moving Bennett into the 3rd line C position. Give him two speedy wingers such as Dzingel LW and Connolly RW both UFAs for a good price.

I think the one thing I always seem to go back to is the defending strategies of the team. Is it the players or the coaches? I think the team, with some additions like others on this site suggests, can be elite if they could fix up and play a tighter or more aggressive D. They possibly have the speed to do it, but other teams can make the Flames look slow due to the seemingly undesired defending. 

22 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think the one thing I always seem to go back to is the defending strategies of the team. Is it the players or the coaches? I think the team, with some additions like others on this site suggests, can be elite if they could fix up and play a tighter or more aggressive D. They possibly have the speed to do it, but other teams can make the Flames look slow due to the seemingly undesired defending. 

I said this before, in the first part of the season they were all playing as units with forwards busting their butts back on defense and this translated into better offensive play. This is what they got away from just before the AS break if the truth be known. I'm just going to blame BP with all his never ending line juggling. I hope he learned something out of this 1st season here.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

9 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Some good comments but I have to say your management comments are nowhere near being correct. Gelinas is already upper management and Loob is our top scout in Europe where he lives and likes it. Conroy is next to BT and doing a great job. Peters and his Assistants are much like players in their first season with the team finding out all kinds of things about each other. Treliving and Peters will now be more familiar with each other and be able to have the time to address player issues and what changes are required.

You could be right about leaving Monahan at C having the entire line stay together. What they accomplished in the first half shouldn't be ignored but all 3 need to ask themselves why they collectively became average in the second half.

If the 1st line stays together Tkachuk remains on LW and I agree we need someone better than Backlund and Frolik as his line mates. There building of this line and our 3rd line will be the most important moves BT and BP can do to improve the team over this season. I believe we are always going to need fast talented line mates with offensive upside to play along with Tkachuk. There have been a lot of good suggestions put forth however the move that needs to be accomplished by BT is moving out Neal rather than hope for a bounce back season. I don't think he fits with BP's style of desired play.

SUGGESTIONS FOR C, 2nd line: Duchene UFA, Kadri TRADE, Schenn TRADE, Hayes UFA and Dzingel UFA have been mentioned.

SUGGESTIONS FOR RW, 2nd line: Kapanen TRADE, Braydon Point TB would be great but I doubt they let him get away. ?????

You mentioned Backlund being ere another season and Bennett not being an NHL C which I disagree with given his progress this season. I think we could do well by trading Backlund and moving Bennett into the 3rd line C position. Give him two speedy wingers such as Dzingel LW and Connolly RW both UFAs for a good price.

I'd keep Lindy as a right winger.. easier to move him up and down lines . We are really in need of a seconD offensive center,AND ANOTHER RIGHT WINGER.. i PREFER bENNETT AND dUBE TOGETHER AND FIND THEM A RIGHT WINGER THAN.. bENNETT AT CENTER AN NO PLACE FOR dUBE

E, I like Duschene as well.. KaDri  i would personally hunt down and tie him up in a dark basement never to be found.. If we ever trade again with a leaf team or for a former leaf player.. May the curse of Gary leaman strike us dead!!!I'm just not a fan of Gelinas..He was a somewhAT FINE PLAYER THAT HAD A FEW GAMES OF GLORY BUT wELL NUFF SAID.. i KNOW lOOB IS OUR EURO HEAD SCOUT BUT . i'D RATHER SEE HIM IN COWTOWN.. cONNIE IS A GREAT GUY BUT I'M NOT SURE HE HAS THE BALLS TO MAKE HARD PERSONAL DECISIONS

13 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

I'd keep Lindy as a right winger.. easier to move him up and down lines . We are really in need of a seconD offensive center,AND ANOTHER RIGHT WINGER.. i PREFER bENNETT AND dUBE TOGETHER AND FIND THEM A RIGHT WINGER THAN.. bENNETT AT CENTER AN NO PLACE FOR dUBE

E, I like Duschene as well.. KaDri  i would personally hunt down and tie him up in a dark basement never to be found.. If we ever trade again with a leaf team or for a former leaf player.. May the curse of Gary leaman strike us dead!!!I'm just not a fan of Gelinas..He was a somewhAT FINE PLAYER THAT HAD A FEW GAMES OF GLORY BUT wELL NUFF SAID.. i KNOW lOOB IS OUR EURO HEAD SCOUT BUT . i'D RATHER SEE HIM IN COWTOWN.. cONNIE IS A GREAT GUY BUT I'M NOT SURE HE HAS THE BALLS TO MAKE HARD PERSONAL DECISIONS

You make a lot of assumptions on people you have likely never met at any time. Living in the past won't get you into the future either.

One of the reasons I think it may be time to deal Backlund is the progress of Bennett this season and the value we could gain in a trade. I also think we need a new 2nd line C and if the confidence isn't there to use Bennett, the two players I would prefer BT go after are Schenn STL ((trade) and Dzingel (UFA). Agree with you on Kadri but not about trading with the Leafs. I would really like to see us make a play for Kapanen RW. I like that Schenn is on a remaining 1year contract, if he performs extend him, if not we have others brewing. Dzingel as the versatility as a LW or C and just starting to become a really good player.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

You make a lot of assumptions on people you have likely never met at any time. Living in the past won't get you into the future either.

One of the reasons I think it may be time to deal Backlund is the progress of Bennett this season and the value we could gain in a trade. I also think we need a new 2nd line C and if the confidence isn't there to use Bennett, the two players I would prefer BT go after are Schenn STL ((trade) and Dzingel (UFA). Agree with you on Kadri but not about trading with the Leafs. I would really like to see us make a play for Kapanen RW. I like that Schenn is on a remaining 1year contract, if he performs extend him, if not we have others brewing. Dzingel as the versatility as a LW or C and just starting to become a really good player.

what in christ's name has personally meeting players have to do with commenting on a fan page?? Are you truly retarded or just stuck in a fantacy world where you believe that anything that is ever said in here is in any way ever stand a snowball's chance in hell of being read and followed through on by any one in a professional sports organization that has anything remotely possible to being responsible for influencing decisions made on .teams???bennett had a handfull of games this year where he showed promise and potential.. Nowhere near what was expected as a high draft pick but pleasantly surprised a few people over a short period of time with his enthusiasm.. he is no where near ready to replace one of the top defensive centers in the league

2 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

what in christ's name has personally meeting players have to do with commenting on a fan page?? Are you truly retarded or just stuck in a fantacy world where you believe that anything that is ever said in here is in any way ever stand a snowball's chance in hell of being read and followed through on by any one in a professional sports organization that has anything remotely possible to being responsible for influencing decisions made on .teams???bennett had a handfull of games this year where he showed promise and potential.. Nowhere near what was expected as a high draft pick but pleasantly surprised a few people over a short period of time with his enthusiasm.. he is no where near ready to replace one of the top defensive centers in the league

No I think you are the challenged one here as I was relating to your management comments. I live under no delusions but I would have to say I'm not sure where your head has been or is now. I also see you have no sense of talent progression either so maybe we will leave it at that with you.

57 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

No I think you are the retarded one here as I was relating to your management comments. I live under no delusions but I would have to say I'm not sure where your head has been or is now. I also see you have no sense of talent progression either so maybe we will leave it at that with you.

lol mac.. you can't say retarded.. it's not politically correct.. lmao.. luckily for me.. I'm too freggin old for political correctness bullSatoshi Nakamoto

46 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

lol mac.. you can't say retarded.. it's not politically correct.. lmao.. luckily for me.. I'm too freggin old for political correctness bullSatoshi Nakamoto

You said it first, called it. OK retracted and revised.

11 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It was briefly enjoyable. lol

Should Brodie get the same range that we spent on Hamonic?

Brodie/4th for a 1st and 2 2nds?

Any team would have to want Brodie for points because he isn't good defensively like Hamonic. He has also shown not to be all that great away from Giordano.

I think he is a hard sell but other think differently.

23 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

10 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Any team would have to want Brodie for points because he isn't good defensively like Hamonic. He has also shown not to be all that great away from Giordano.

I think he is a hard sell but other think differently.

I would say he is worthy of a first round pick and possibly a 2nd or 3rd on top of that...?

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

would be nice.. Having had the pleasure of watching Brodie.. I kinda think that's a bit high   brodie/ a fourth and Stone I'd do that for

Archived