2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe you mentioned it elsewhere, but Brodie goes for Karlsson?  I get that, but wasn;t sure if that was the complete deal or not.  Your roster seems to be missing Janko, Frolik and Czarnik, plus Stone isn;t there.  Connolly is, but that's a UFA signing.  It's all good, but I don;t like the idea of Neal on a defensive line.  With all those decent players, you could come up with a few combos that could work.  

I didn't mention any specific trades, just looking at guys to target.  Players I didn't list are ones I am assuming we trade in some fashion, either for players listed such as Karlsson, or for draft picks/prospects.  It's sort of a dream roster (plus Neal, since he seems the least likely piece to be traded. Not really sure where he should fit, so I just plopped him into a hole), but I don't have the kinks worked out on trades or anything.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I didn't mention any specific trades, just looking at guys to target.  Players I didn't list are ones I am assuming we trade in some fashion, either for players listed such as Karlsson, or for draft picks/prospects.  It's sort of a dream roster (plus Neal, since he seems the least likely piece to be traded. Not really sure where he should fit, so I just plopped him into a hole), but I don't have the kinks worked out on trades or anything.

It's as good a roster as I have seen elsewhere.  Buying out Stone is very likely.  No way Vegas will take him at anyyhing close to 3.5m.  Even 1.75m is high for them.

Connoly would be a good pickup, but I don;t relish the cost to sign him as a UFA.  He's been underpaid for a long time.  Burakovsky might be a buy low option, but we would need to send salary for him, since he's a RFA that was making 3m.  

Zucker might be the more realistic target, as they will take salary going the other way.  Connolly screams $4m as a UFA.  

At some point, we need to figure out whther Bennett is worth 3m to keep him here.  We're paying that for Ryan who managed to outscore him by about 10 points, playing a lot of 4th line minutes.  Is his grit and success in the playoffs woth the asking price?  He's never going to score close to even Backlund.  Can we afford to carry that?

A few trades I'm working on that effect the roster.

Brodie and Neal to NJ for Hall C/LW

Backlund and Frolik to CBJ for Wennberg C and Bjorkstrand RW

Stone at 1.75M and Quine C/LW to TOR for Zaitlev RD and Brown RW

Jankowski to OTT for picks.

FORWARDS

Gaudreau, Monahan, Bjorkstrand

Tkachuk, Hall, Lindholm

Wennberg, Bennett, Brown

Mangiapane, Ryan, Czarnik

Rychel, Lazar

DEFENSE
Giordano, Zaitlev

Hanifin,Hamonic

Valimaki, Andersson

Kylington

GOALIES

Rittich, Mrazek (would be my choice) UFA

On 5/22/2019 at 11:40 AM, The_People1 said:

Depends on the price.  Right?

My main reserve is when he was drafted by the Oilers, all you can see on his face was his smile because he said he grew up in Regina a big Oilers fan (aka hates the Flames).  His heart wouldn't be here.

Not that he has any.  He doesn't really compete at an NHL level.   Just a guy happy to pad his stats.  If there are better choices then I would pass on Eberle for sure.

Eberle just got married to an Alberta girl and she would BTC slap him to kanas if he lost his contract status.. Look for him to go back to Edmonton with a new attitude

1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

Eberle just got married to an Alberta girl and she would BTC slap him to kanas if he lost his contract status.. Look for him to go back to Edmonton with a new attitude

Yes..a Calgary girl, because he went to school in Calgary and still lives in Calgary in the offseason

I don't  expect him to be here , but it won't be because he doesnt like Calgary

19 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

FORWARDS

Tkachuk, Hall, Lindholm

Wennberg, Bennett, Brown

Rychel, Lazar

DEFENSE
Giordano, Zaitlev

Hanifin,Hamonic

Valimaki, Andersson

Kylington

GOALIES

I could get onboard with this, GM.

Interesting proposals for sure. Not sure how much NJ would be interested in Neal, but if Hall refuses to re-sign there, it definitely opens the door to possibility. 

Do the $ work in those trades (where the salaries are equitable)? Would we be under the cap? 

2 hours ago, lou44291 said:

I could get onboard with this, GM.

Interesting proposals for sure. Not sure how much NJ would be interested in Neal, but if Hall refuses to re-sign there, it definitely opens the door to possibility. 

Do the $ work in those trades (where the salaries are equitable)? Would we be under the cap? 

NJ's GM Shero and Neal have history from PIT so he would have to believe Neal has something to offer (which anyone that knows him, knows he has more hockey to give)

Use Hall for the one year and let him walk if he doesn't want to sign here. I haven't ran the numbers both the math should work to our favor.

23 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

FORWARDS

Tkachuk, Hall, Lindholm

Wennberg, Bennett, Brown

Rychel, Lazar

DEFENSE
Giordano, Zaitlev

Hanifin,Hamonic

Valimaki, Andersson

Kylington

GOALIES

That NJ trade is essentially Gaudreau to NJ for Vatanen and Zajac. Hall starts with Gaudreau, if you’re lucky they’d settle for Monahan+

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If he does hit the market, I would bring him back. Solid leader, can still play, and gives us that needed edge. He would be a great fit with Valimaki on the 3rd pairing.

Prob is Prout could be kept for cheaper and only use when needed as to not block the progression of the young guys.

3 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Prob is Prout could be kept for cheaper and only use when needed as to not block the progression of the young guys.

maybe so , but Engelland can also play better / higher quality minutes .. hed be an upgrade to Stone at much lower cap hit.  Id bring him back in a heartbeat

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Engelland wouldn't block anyone as we don't have any RHS D in the system, and he is a big upgrade on Prout.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

If he does hit the market, I would bring him back. Solid leader, can still play, and gives us that needed edge. He would be a great fit with Valimaki on the 3rd pairing.

Isn't this the same guy reporting Puljujarvi as signing in the KHL, even though he's under contract.

Same guy that is saying Hall isn;t re-signing with NJ, while Hall is saying otherwise.

He gets stuff right after its reported.

Can't say the same about his "I'm told".

3 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

maybe so , but Engelland can also play better / higher quality minutes .. hed be an upgrade to Stone at much lower cap hit.  Id bring him back in a heartbeat

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Engelland wouldn't block anyone as we don't have any RHS D in the system, and he is a big upgrade on Prout.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Englland fan I just don't think it's in the cards. With his age and potential salary decrease I honestly think he retires and stays with the Knights organization in some capacity seeing as throughout his career his family based themselves in Vegas.

21 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Isn't this the same guy reporting Puljujarvi as signing in the KHL, even though he's under contract.

Same guy that is saying Hall isn;t re-signing with NJ, while Hall is saying otherwise.

He gets stuff right after its reported.

Can't say the same about his "I'm told".

A Finnish newspaper first reported the Puljujarvi signing 

Hall I am not sure about, but it makes sense for Hall to wait and see what his market is, when he hits UFA for the 1st time.

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Englland fan I just don't think it's in the cards. With his age and potential salary decrease I honestly think he retires and stays with the Knights organization in some capacity seeing as throughout his career his family based themselves in Vegas.

He made $1M last year.. how much lower can he go?   I think he might have made an extra M in bonuses 

5 hours ago, JTech780 said:

He's too slow.  He was a liability with Vegas in the Sharks series. 

No more Vegas hand me downs.  Please.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

A Finnish newspaper first reported the Puljujarvi signing 

Hall I am not sure about, but it makes sense for Hall to wait and see what his market is, when he hits UFA for the 1st time.

So, why is this guy the only one with knowledge about Hall?

Nothing from Bobby Mac?

Lebrun silent?

Don;t get me wrong, I eat this stuff up.

I just find a lot of these guys post the real things after they happen and put rumours up that are 50-50 at being possible.

If they get it wrong, nobody remembers and they look like they predicted the stuff they reported after the fact.

12 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

1.5M + 1M in bonus. But ya almost already at minimum wage. Still think he hangs them up he doesn't sign with Vegas.

My guess is VEGAS has other issues and need to move a few players if they want to get Karlsson signed. In the end Engelland stays in VEGAS.

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

He's too slow.  He was a liability with Vegas in the Sharks series. 

No more Vegas hand me downs.  Please.

I definitely wouldn't complain ..

in this regard , I have to wonder who he is going to target . He's been looking for that player since he got here 

He even alluded that he wanted Prout to evolve into another Engelland

He's wanted Simmonds for years in a trade.at least 3 good attempts I know of... now he can try and get him UFA

Its not a question of whether we need it , want it , or should be looking for it .. its who is it going to be this time?

Myself I think hes gonna go hard at Simmonds .. he wants that Hybrid player , the one that's effective on the ice , but will destroy you if you throw down with him 

Only Simmonds and Engelland come to mind.. we can say Simmonds has regressed , but , hes still better than Hathaway 

I go around in circles with thoughts of how to cover our needs and issues to become a better team. I would like to see us address what I believe eventually did us in during the playoffs that being our 2nd and 3rd forward lines. Overall we need to faster, bigger, smarter and have a higher element of compete amongst our players. As good as these players have been in the past and now I believe this offseason is the time to trade Backlund, Frolik, Neal, Jankowski, Brodie and Stone. Treliving could use these trades to put the system and cap situation into better shape and make way for some possible improvements. I believe we can fix our situation with one big trade and 3 UFA signings. I would like to see Treliving focus on the following.

1. Either OS Kapanen or work out a trade with Toronto for Kapanen RW and Zaitsev RD using Brodie, Stone and our 2019 1st. Kapanen is a 2nd line RW in the same vein as Lindholm for around 4.5M. Zaitsev can still be a top D with us and we still have Andersson at low dollars.

The 3 UFAs to persue IMO are Dzingel 4.5M C/LW, Connolly 3.5M RW and Mrazek 4.5M G

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm - have now had a full season together, look for even better things next season

Tkachuk, Dzingel, Kapanen - the speed to go with Tkachuk and all 3 capable of big things, 

Mangiapane, Bennett, Connolly- all 3 are hard nosed, big compete and all have upside to discover. All 3 can play higher up.

Dube, Ryan, Czarnik - all good skaters and smart players

Quine, Rychel, Lazar - can provide some size vs some of the competition as required

DEFENSE
Giordano, Zaitsev

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Andersson

Kylington, Fantenberg

GOALIES

Rittich, Mrazek

This is the team I would like to see prevail for 2019/2020.

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I definitely wouldn't complain ..

in this regard , I have to wonder who he is going to target . He's been looking for that player since he got here 

He even alluded that he wanted Prout to evolve into another Engelland

He's wanted Simmonds for years in a trade.at least 3 good attempts I know of... now he can try and get him UFA

Its not a question of whether we need it , want it , or should be looking for it .. its who is it going to be this time?

Myself I think hes gonna go hard at Simmonds .. he wants that Hybrid player , the one that's effective on the ice , but will destroy you if you throw down with him 

Only Simmonds and Engelland come to mind.. we can say Simmonds has regressed , but , hes still better than Hathaway 

2019 Engellend is not the 2015 Engellend anymore.  He's lost a step.  We need to look for the "next 2015 Engellend" and that's okay.

Any suggestions?

Can we get Josh Manson from Anaheim?  Yuck, Gudbranson?  Zadorov?  Maybe Ristolainen (he hits but does he fight)?  Radko Gudas?  Borowiecki?  David Savard?  Darnell Nurse?

Archived