2019 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

So I guess the results are quite varied. If Knight were to fall to 26, he MIGHT be worth taking a shot on him. Trading into the high second round, if he is not taken first round could also be an option I guess. Multiple teams have multiple 2nd round picks and may make a trade with us.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don’t want to use the 1st on Knight. Goalies are so unpredictable that I’d rather use the 3rd or 4th on one.

From what I’ve seen this year of Dustin Wolf I really liked, however there will be questions about his size, could be the next Sarros though. Unsure if he’s still available in round 3 though.

I also like Samuel Harvey currently playing in the memorial cup, given he’s a 1998 birth year, he could probably slide to the later rounds.

On 2019-05-24 at 8:24 AM, travel_dude said:

Well, if the team remained exactly the same, do you think we still finish first and lose in the first round?

Every year is different.

The reasons why a team lose are different.

The one thing obvious to me is that the playoffs did not show much of anything to me.

I don't think the results and play tell me anything about the team.

Not typical play.

These were not games where we outplayed a team and lost because of goaltending (PITTS game).

We didn't win games because the goalie stood on his head.

Hard to make changes to a team when they looked different than any other game.

The one change that should be made regardless is Smith.

Picking up a bunch of meaningless wins with him in nets the end of the season.

Even then, he went only 9-7-1.

He stopped a lot of shots in the playoffs and let in a bunch of goals.

I think the Flames more than likely make it to the playoffs but my bet is Vegas wins the division. And I do think they lose in the first round. Even though there have been changes, the main core group has stayed the same. I just don’t think this group is able to get the next level as is. What I’ve seen of them is that they crumble under their pressure. They don’t show up when it matters - aside from The Hartley year where they wouldn’t say die... I think if Lindholm sticks on the top line he has to carry the puck in sometimes. They default to Gaudreau too often. In the second half of the season the top line were no shows two years in a row. The other teams stop Johnny and that stops the top line.

It is a very tough read. 

14 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think the Flames more than likely make it to the playoffs but my bet is Vegas wins the division. And I do think they lose in the first round. Even though there have been changes, the main core group has stayed the same. I just don’t think this group is able to get the next level as is. What I’ve seen of them is that they crumble under their pressure. They don’t show up when it matters - aside from The Hartley year where they wouldn’t say die... I think if Lindholm sticks on the top line he has to carry the puck in sometimes. They default to Gaudreau too often. In the second half of the season the top line were no shows two years in a row. The other teams stop Johnny and that stops the top line.

It is a very tough read. 

I don't think its that tough of read because this team had trouble defensing speed all season. We need more team speed and size for ourselves. I don't think this team is nearly enough of a finished product and say what you want about the core not showing up, well this is who the opposition fixates on the shutdown. I said all season our middle 6 will be our downfall and they were. Also let's give COL some credit because they came to play and were a very determined team. They had us being reactionary throughout. Our game wasn't where it needed to be either.

16 hours ago, robrob74 said:

It is a very tough read. 

In 2017/18, Monahan was broken.

In 2018/19, the top line fizzled out in the last two months of the season.

Other than that, the resemblence is nothing.

The last time we were in the playoffs, we were the better team but lost in nets.

This time, we played worse in all aspects of the game.

More like the games we played against non-playoff teams down the stertch.

Vegas got the best player available, but still went nowhere.

They will have trouble keeping the team together, well more like they are set up to lose Karlsson or someone else.

Maybe Haula, but that doesn;t make that much of a cap difference.

They are at the cap without Gusev, Karlsson and Nosek signed.

There is no good reason why the Flames won't battle for top spot this season.

Goaltending may be the only issue, if we can;t find that solid 1a/1b player.

We were a top team without the likes of NEal, Bennett and Janko contributing much.

59 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

In 2017/18, Monahan was broken.

In 2018/19, the top line fizzled out in the last two months of the season.

Other than that, the resemblence is nothing.

The last time we were in the playoffs, we were the better team but lost in nets.

This time, we played worse in all aspects of the game.

More like the games we played against non-playoff teams down the stertch.

Vegas got the best player available, but still went nowhere.

They will have trouble keeping the team together, well more like they are set up to lose Karlsson or someone else.

Maybe Haula, but that doesn;t make that much of a cap difference.

They are at the cap without Gusev, Karlsson and Nosek signed.

There is no good reason why the Flames won't battle for top spot this season.

Goaltending may be the only issue, if we can;t find that solid 1a/1b player.

We were a top team without the likes of NEal, Bennett and Janko contributing much.

I don’t really think it matters that Monahan was injured the year before. The same results could easily have happened. You can suggest otherwise but this year kinda proves that it is quite possible. Plus I feel differently about that Ducks series. I think that just because we have the puck it doesn’t mean we are playing better. I remember not really feeling like we were outplaying them or ever dominating. I still feel like we were dominated physically and out-chanced (actual possible goals).

The Flames were and still are a possession team but a lot of the time they take shots from areas that aren’t very dangerous and when in a “high danger area” they shoot at the logos or wide.

and Vegas went a round further than us and really should have taken out the sharks. Had that horrible call not been made they probably had a better chance at beating the Blues. But that doesn’t really matter to me...

I think the Flames can battle for top spot, but I feel like it was a year when things went right at the right times. But then again, if we can fix the first line problems we should be able to win it. I just worry Monahan isn’t the guy to put the team over the top.

43 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

and Vegas went a round further than us and really should have taken out the sharks. Had that horrible call not been made they probably had a better chance at beating the Blues. But that doesn’t really matter to me...

Did they?

I thought they lost to the Sharks in round 1.

First rounds are tough.

Anyone's guess as to who wins if the teams line up differently.

We see the team differently, which is fine.

We finished 1st in spite of having a terrible goalie for most of the season.

In spite of having a 3rd line that struggles.

In spite of coasting into the playoffs.

I don;t expect a regression from the top line, since they have gotten better every year.

The defense should be at least as effective overall as last year.

If Neal doesn;t get back to 20 goals, he won;t be in the lineup for 82 games.

Goaltending will be the big wild card.  AGAIN.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Did they?

I thought they lost to the Sharks in round 1.

First rounds are tough.

Anyone's guess as to who wins if the teams line up differently.

We see the team differently, which is fine.

We finished 1st in spite of having a terrible goalie for most of the season.

In spite of having a 3rd line that struggles.

In spite of coasting into the playoffs.

I don;t expect a regression from the top line, since they have gotten better every year.

The defense should be at least as effective overall as last year.

If Neal doesn;t get back to 20 goals, he won;t be in the lineup for 82 games.

Goaltending will be the big wild card.  AGAIN.

Yup! I am wrong. The Flames were out so fast it felt like a whole extra round. 

I think your suggestion for Trouba or another TopPair would cost our 1st. 

If it were me, I might even play the whole 2nd line on the PP. They’d be used to playing together, it would give them offensive reps And Tkachuk being there should help the unit get some PP goals. I think loading the first unit takes too much away from the 2nd. If Tkachuk is that good and gets his dough, he should be able to handle and get points there. 

If they trade Brodie plus a 1st or Brodie & Bennett for a top pair, they better be able to man a PP. 

i would prefer to draft this year to help the future, but I guess if it’s a help now I could live with it. I’ve already had to.

On 5/26/2019 at 3:22 PM, robrob74 said:

Yup! I am wrong. The Flames were out so fast it felt like a whole extra round. 

I think your suggestion for Trouba or another TopPair would cost our 1st. 

If it were me, I might even play the whole 2nd line on the PP. They’d be used to playing together, it would give them offensive reps And Tkachuk being there should help the unit get some PP goals. I think loading the first unit takes too much away from the 2nd. If Tkachuk is that good and gets his dough, he should be able to handle and get points there. 

If they trade Brodie plus a 1st or Brodie & Bennett for a top pair, they better be able to man a PP. 

i would prefer to draft this year to help the future, but I guess if it’s a help now I could live with it. I’ve already had to.

Hey, I wasn't making fun of you.

I had to look it up it was so long ago.

We aren't that bad off.

I think we can be a top team.

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What do you think of Bobby Brink.

Listed as 5'10" 163 lbs, RHS RW.

https://thehockeywriters.com/bobby-brink-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

I like Brink, he is a guy that just puts up numbers every where he goes. 

He isn't as dynamic as you would like for a smaller player. He is skilled though and there is upside there, just how much can he improve his skating .

On 5/26/2019 at 2:08 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

Some Spencer Knight footage. Plays a very similar style to Jon Gillies.

Drafting a goalie is a bad idea. They dont get to the Nhl level until 27-28 years old. Draft them at 18 then put 6 years of development time in them then they're cut loose at 25 and 3 years later they're taking another team to the cup. Only, draft them if they're like Vasleivsky or Price.

19 hours ago, Irocke99 said:

Drafting a goalie is a bad idea. They dont get to the Nhl level until 27-28 years old. Draft them at 18 then put 6 years of development time in them then they're cut loose at 25 and 3 years later they're taking another team to the cup. Only, draft them if they're like Vasleivsky or Price.

I agree and it's hard to pick out the Price's.  I'd be more willing to take a gamble on Knight if we had more picks this year and weren't coming off of 2 previous years with 1 pick in the first 2 rounds.  I do think a goalie should be taken some point this draft if things work out.

Just spitballing some ideas here, not sure exactly how to make them work but could be worth a shot trying. Please make suggestions that could clean up the ideas.

I am placing it here rather than trades, because the main goal is to pick up more draft picks rather than necessarily focus on a player. Calgary does not have a 2nd round pick, or a 6th round pick in this years draft and I would like to see some salary offloaded in exchange for picks. The Key is salary out and picks in without leaving any big holes on the big club or in the pipeline.

Teams with Multiple 2nd round picks are Carolina, Detroit and Jersey with 3 each, Montreal, Rangers and Ottawa each have 2. I can't see Carolina or Detroit looking to long rebuild so they could both be targets. Less likely Carolina due to recent trades / movements, but I think we could really focus on Detroit and Jersey to get at least 1 if not 2 2nd round picks in the draft and I think we have the means to do it.

Detroit has an aging D, only really made younger by Bowey. They only have 5 signed D (3 RHD, 2 LHD) and 3 of them are 33 or older, 1 is 29 and Bowey is 24. They Only have 11 forwards signed for next season and are a fairly young group. 7 of them are under 25.  They have a projected cap space of about 11 million depending on performance bonuses in order to add 2 Forwards and 2 D. 

Would we be able to move Frolik and Kylington (Not that I want to trade him, but he adds to the pot and we have a glut of LHD), for rights to Martin Frk (6'1, 205 RW), Jared McIsaac (19 year old 6'1, 190 lb LHD 2nd round pick) and a 2nd round pick? Frk may not cost much to re-sign and could make the big club and he hasn't really done a ton for the Wings but may just need a change of scenery. McIsaac would still be eligible for Juniors still but adds to the future pipeline in a more realistic timeline of need for the Flames. Also adds cap space for the Flames and of course the draft pick. 

Detroit gets a quality, experienced but not long in the tooth forward who can help the young guys while still adding to the team, does not cost too much and they get a young LHD who has gained some NHL experience this season and is ready to play at least 3rd pair with one of their vets. 

Would either side need to add to make it work? 

Jersey has 8 forwards + 2 RFAs, 4 D + 3 RFAs, with an estimated 35 million cap space. Even with re-signing all RFA's they will still need 3 Forwards. They might be big players on the FA market, but who knows, they may still have a self imposed cap. Jersey is a very young team with only 3 players over 30 (1 at each position). I am not certain what Jersey really needs player wise as they are so young it is hard to tell other than the need for some more veteran leadership. If Frolik isn't moved to Detroit, Jersey might take him too but I will alter my suggestions here.

Brodie would be my preferred trade, simply because I think he carries the most value for D I would be willing to trade. As he prefers playing the right side, he also fits better with the needs of Jersey. While not old, he is considered to be experienced in the league which would add to their young D. While not ideal because I don't know what Roster moves I would make to fill holes and I really don't actually want trade him, but if we add Backlund we might get significant return. So for Brodie and Backlund, I would ask for Rights to Pavel Zacha (22 year old, RFA 6'3 210 lb, LHC),   Prospect Nathan Bastian (21 year RHS C/RW, 6'4, 205), A D prospect and 2 2nd round picks. Not sure if that is good value for both teams. The Biggest add for Calgary is the cap space to try and for for some FAs but Zacha could be the next Lindholm. 

Buffalo and Vancouver both have 3 6th round picks. Anaheim, Minnesota, Philly and Carolina each have 2. As a pure cap dump Move Stone to any of these teams for a 6th Rounder. Vancouver or Philly could use the Veteran RHD, and have the easy cap space to fit him.

If the Flames make all 3 moves at or before the draft and re-sign both Frk and Zacha, the team would have the following

1st, 3 2nds, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th rounders in this draft.

Gaudreau, Tkachuk (easily re-signed with cap gained), Monahan, Lindholm, Neal, Ryan, Czarnik, Jankowski, Dube, Re-sign Mangiapane and Bennett, Frk and Zacha for 13 forwards. Could also re-sign Hathaway.

On D Gio Andersson, Hanifin Hamonic, Valimaki Fantenberg

Re-sign Rittich and then still likely have 10-14 mil cap space to signal FA Goalie, another D and Maybe make a move on a bigger FA forward. The biggest question is who fills the hole left by Backs and that may be a new top 6 C using cap space. 

These are just some thoughts to regain some draft picks, gain cap space, add some young talent, keep the cupboards stocked and still give back to the other teams so that it is fair. Thoughts?

12 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Just spitballing some ideas here, not sure exactly how to make them work but could be worth a shot trying. Please make suggestions that could clean up the ideas.

I am placing it here rather than trades, because the main goal is to pick up more draft picks rather than necessarily focus on a player. Calgary does not have a 2nd round pick, or a 6th round pick in this years draft and I would like to see some salary offloaded in exchange for picks. The Key is salary out and picks in without leaving any big holes on the big club or in the pipeline.

Teams with Multiple 2nd round picks are Carolina, Detroit and Jersey with 3 each, Montreal, Rangers and Ottawa each have 2. I can't see Carolina or Detroit looking to long rebuild so they could both be targets. Less likely Carolina due to recent trades / movements, but I think we could really focus on Detroit and Jersey to get at least 1 if not 2 2nd round picks in the draft and I think we have the means to do it.

Detroit has an aging D, only really made younger by Bowey. They only have 5 signed D (3 RHD, 2 LHD) and 3 of them are 33 or older, 1 is 29 and Bowey is 24. They Only have 11 forwards signed for next season and are a fairly young group. 7 of them are under 25.  They have a projected cap space of about 11 million depending on performance bonuses in order to add 2 Forwards and 2 D. 

Would we be able to move Frolik and Kylington (Not that I want to trade him, but he adds to the pot and we have a glut of LHD), for rights to Martin Frk (6'1, 205 RW), Jared McIsaac (19 year old 6'1, 190 lb LHD 2nd round pick) and a 2nd round pick? Frk may not cost much to re-sign and could make the big club and he hasn't really done a ton for the Wings but may just need a change of scenery. McIsaac would still be eligible for Juniors still but adds to the future pipeline in a more realistic timeline of need for the Flames. Also adds cap space for the Flames and of course the draft pick. 

Detroit gets a quality, experienced but not long in the tooth forward who can help the young guys while still adding to the team, does not cost too much and they get a young LHD who has gained some NHL experience this season and is ready to play at least 3rd pair with one of their vets. 

Jersey has 8 forwards + 2 RFAs, 4 D + 3 RFAs, with an estimated 35 million cap space. Even with re-signing all RFA's they will still need 3 Forwards. They might be big players on the FA market, but who knows, they may still have a self imposed cap. Jersey is a very young team with only 3 players over 30 (1 at each position). I am not certain what Jersey really needs player wise as they are so young it is hard to tell other than the need for some more veteran leadership. If Frolik isn't moved to Detroit, Jersey might take him too but I will alter my suggestions here.

Brodie would be my preferred trade, simply because I think he carries the most value for D I would be willing to trade. As he prefers playing the right side, he also fits better with the needs of Jersey. While not old, he is considered to be experienced in the league which would add to their young D. While not ideal because I don't know what Roster moves I would make to fill holes and I really don't actually want trade him, but if we add Backlund we might get significant return. So for Brodie and Backlund, I would ask for Rights to Pavel Zacha (22 year old, RFA 6'3 210 lb, LHC),   Prospect Nathan Bastian (21 year RHS C/RW, 6'4, 205), A D prospect and 2 2nd round picks. Not sure if that is good value for both teams. The Biggest add for Calgary is the cap space to try and for for some FAs but Zacha could be the next Lindholm. 

Buffalo and Vancouver both have 3 6th round picks. Anaheim, Minnesota, Philly and Carolina each have 2. As a pure cap dump Move Stone to any of these teams for a 6th Rounder. Vancouver or Philly could use the Veteran RHD, and have the easy cap space to fit him.

If the Flames make all 3 moves at or before the draft and re-sign both Frk and Zacha, the team would have the following

Gaudreau, Tkachuk (easily re-signed with cap gained), Monahan, Lindholm, Neal, Ryan, Czarnik, Jankowski, Dube, Re-sign Mangiapane and Bennett, Frk and Zacha for 13 forwards. Could also re-sign Hathaway.

Re-sign Rittich and then still likely have 10-14 mil cap space to signal FA Goalie, another D and Maybe make a move on a bigger FA forward. The biggest question is who fills the hole left by Backs and that may be a new top 6 C using cap space. 

These are just some thoughts to regain some draft picks, gain cap space, add some young talent, keep the cupboards stocked and still give back to the other teams so that it is fair. Thoughts?

Keep                                                                                      Trade for picks or needs..

Tkachuk 6'2/202 lw(L)                                                                needs.. 2(R) rw/1(R) center/ 1(R) d man /1 goalie

Monahan 6'2 /200 c(L)

Lindholm 6'1/195 rw (R)                                                                     Quine              6'0/203    center(L)

Gaudreau 5'9/165 lw (L)                                                                    Backlund         6'0/200   center(L)

Bennett 6'1/195 lw  (L)                                                                       Jankowski       6'4/212    center(L)     

*Dube 5'11/187 c (L)                                                                           Frolik               6'1/190     r.w.(L)

Mangiapane 5'10/184 lw  (L)                                                              Neal                 6'3/212     r.w.(L)

Ryan 5'10/185 c  (R)                                                                           Brodie              6'1/185      defence(L)

Hathaway 6'2/210 rw  (R)                                                                   Stone                6'3/210      defence(R)

Giordano 6'1/200 ld  (L)                                                                     Prout                 6'3/215      defence(R)

Hanafin 6'3/215 ld  (L)                                                                       Fantenberg        6'0/208      defence(L)      

*Valamaki 6'2/212 ld  (L)                                                                     Smith                                   goal

Anderson 6'2/214 rd(R)

Hamonic 6'2/214 rd(R)

Rittich goal

Czarnik 5'9/170  forward spare(R)

kylington 6'0/183 defence spare(L)

how much do we have in salary cap with these 17 players and how much do we save by  unloading contracts of the 10 players mentioned?? We need to sign 5 players not currently on the keep  roster.0r 5 of the players on the trade list

21 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Bosn111 I agree with the approach of trading off the players we no longer see as a fit for picks as many as we can garner. It's all guesswork but I would look to trade at a minimum Neal, Backlund, Frolik, Jankowski, Brodie and Stone all for picks. Should any of these expand a trade to involve a player we could use even better.

I believe if Treliving could load up on picks and re-use some of them in other deals we could replace these players with younger better less expensive options for the team.

Another tidbit I heard from Burke while being interview was the idea of Offer Sheet on Kapanen at the cost of 4.5M and a 2nd round pick. Forget Marner for 4 - 1st round picks which is crazy. Kapanen would be another possible Lindholm for us.

I like the idea of Neal to NJ (he and Shero have history from PIT) however Kylington may have to be part of the deal. If Fantenberg were resigned the sting would not be bad.

Brodie, Backlund, Jankowski and Frolik shouldn't be hard to move for picks. Stone may have to be a low pick like a 3 or 4 plus some retained salary but should possible.

Lots can be done.

10 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

Keep                                                                                      Trade for picks or needs..

Tkachuk 6'2/202 lw(L)                                                                needs.. 2(R) rw/1(R) center/ 1(R) d man /1 goalie

Monahan 6'2 /200 c(L)

Lindholm 6'1/195 rw (R)                                                                     Quine              6'0/203    center(L)

Gaudreau 5'9/165 lw (L)                                                                    Backlund         6'0/200   center(L)

Bennett 6'1/195 lw  (L)                                                                       Jankowski       6'4/212    center(L)     

*Dube 5'11/187 c (L)                                                                           Frolik               6'1/190     r.w.(L)

Mangiapane 5'10/184 lw  (L)                                                              Neal                 6'3/212     r.w.(L)

Ryan 5'10/185 c  (R)                                                                           Brodie              6'1/185      defence(L)

Hathaway 6'2/210 rw  (R)                                                                   Stone                6'3/210      defence(R)

Giordano 6'1/200 ld  (L)                                                                     Prout                 6'3/215      defence(R)

Hanafin 6'3/215 ld  (L)                                                                       Fantenberg        6'0/208      defence(L)      

*Valamaki 6'2/212 ld  (L)                                                                     Smith                                   goal

Anderson 6'2/214 rd(R)

Hamonic 6'2/214 rd(R)

Rittich goal

Czarnik 5'9/170  forward spare(R)

kylington 6'0/183 defence spare(L)

how much do we have in salary cap with these 17 players and how much do we save by  unloading contracts of the 10 players mentioned?? We need to sign 5 players not currently on the keep  roster.0r 5 of the players on the trade list

The big prob I see there is after all the d-men you have listed, there is no one left.  Moving out 4 veteran D (personally I'd keep Prout and Fanta) leaves literally nothing to move up if needed.  The team has been lucky as of late with injuries on D but all it takes is a couple injuries and youre going too deep into the depth chart.

Horsman,

Smith, Fantenberg and Prout are all UFA's and thus do not count against the cap. They cannot be traded as they have no value other than MAYBE early negotiating rights but Smith is the only one with that as even a possible, though unlikely option. Quine is an RFA and so he also does not count against the cap. As an AHL player, he also holds little trade value for rights alone.

So that leaves 6 people on your trade list, some with little trade value. By little trade value I mean they have more value being kept with the team compared to what you would get in trade.

Players you listed who could bring decent returns are Frolik, Backlund and Brodie. Jankowski would bring something back, but he is likely worth more to the team than a trade would bring back, Neal we want gone for the same reason he is difficult to trade. Too expensive for his output last season. Stone is also difficult to trade to to health problems and cost but he could bring back a low round pick.

If you are able to trade all 6 you suggest, the cap savings would be 25.225 mil. I would rather hold onto Janks for at least another season, He is still young and will be RFA after next year and could be traded if need be then. Neal likely is near impossible to move, but he should be shopped. 

1 hour ago, bosn111 said:

Horsman,

Smith, Fantenberg and Prout are all UFA's and thus do not count against the cap. They cannot be traded as they have no value other than MAYBE early negotiating rights but Smith is the only one with that as even a possible, though unlikely option. Quine is an RFA and so he also does not count against the cap. As an AHL player, he also holds little trade value for rights alone.

So that leaves 6 people on your trade list, some with little trade value. By little trade value I mean they have more value being kept with the team compared to what you would get in trade.

Players you listed who could bring decent returns are Frolik, Backlund and Brodie. Jankowski would bring something back, but he is likely worth more to the team than a trade would bring back, Neal we want gone for the same reason he is difficult to trade. Too expensive for his output last season. Stone is also difficult to trade to to health problems and cost but he could bring back a low round pick.

If you are able to trade all 6 you suggest, the cap savings would be 25.225 mil. I would rather hold onto Janks for at least another season, He is still young and will be RFA after next year and could be traded if need be then. Neal likely is near impossible to move, but he should be shopped. 

Really hard to say who is unmoveable vs putting a deal together that makes sense for the two dealing teams. Both Stone and Neal can be moved just a matter of what does it take.

If Brodie and Stone were traded signing back Fantenberg and Prout (two way) would make sense. I really hope they move on from Smith. Neal will take some sort of special dealing but best leave that one to Treliving, worse case he is back as our 3rd line RW. Jankowski is in the way now and even if you dealt him to a team like OTT you might get a 2nd and 3rd for him.

7 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

The big prob I see there is after all the d-men you have listed, there is no one left.  Moving out 4 veteran D (personally I'd keep Prout and Fanta) leaves literally nothing to move up if needed.  The team has been lucky as of late with injuries on D but all it takes is a couple injuries and youre going too deep into the depth chart.

I kept 5 dmen and listed as needing one right handed shot d man.. and kylington as the 7th d man.. That's all the contracts we can afford to carry..The dmen listed are excessive contracts that are not minor league eligible. No major league team carries more than 7 contracts. fantenberg did a fine job but we can't carry 8 dmen and I'd rather keep the speed and potential in Kylington.. Players such as Fantenberg are a dime a dozen come roster expansion time closer to the playoffs.. where would you put Prout and Fantenberg during the regular season??? 

For any non-Athletic subscribers, they have an in-depth article on Bobby Brink.

Opening paragraph details how he broke his ankle blocking a shot in the WJAC up in Bonnyville this past winter, returned to play the next day in the gold medal game and ended up scoring what ended up being the GWG and tournament MVP.

That guy sounds all heart and compete to me

On 5/31/2019 at 9:47 AM, GM_3300 said:

Bosn111 I agree with the approach of trading off the players we no longer see as a fit for picks as many as we can garner. It's all guesswork but I would look to trade at a minimum Neal, Backlund, Frolik, Jankowski, Brodie and Stone all for picks. Should any of these expand a trade to involve a player we could use even better.

I believe if Treliving could load up on picks and re-use some of them in other deals we could replace these players with younger better less expensive options for the team.

Another tidbit I heard from Burke while being interview was the idea of Offer Sheet on Kapanen at the cost of 4.5M and a 2nd round pick. Forget Marner for 4 - 1st round picks which is crazy. Kapanen would be another possible Lindholm for us.

I like the idea of Neal to NJ (he and Shero have history from PIT) however Kylington may have to be part of the deal. If Fantenberg were resigned the sting would not be bad.

Brodie, Backlund, Jankowski and Frolik shouldn't be hard to move for picks. Stone may have to be a low pick like a 3 or 4 plus some retained salary but should possible.

Lots can be done.

Agreed but would add Gaudreau to the list.    He is the most obvious trade of all and we know this, it is being ignored only for emotional attachment.  Which I get.   But really if he can't help us in the playoffs then what are we doing exactly.  

On an unrelated note, next year's draft has a Crosby in it imho.    Nothing wrong with getting future 2020 firsts as well.  They typically come at a cheaper price, as time is the commodity here.   Worst case scenario you get a fantastic pick on the cheap.  Best case scenario you get a little lucky and become a dynasty.

9 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

For any non-Athletic subscribers, they have an in-depth article on Bobby Brink.

Opening paragraph details how he broke his ankle blocking a shot in the WJAC up in Bonnyville this past winter, returned to play the next day in the gold medal game and ended up scoring what ended up being the GWG and tournament MVP.

That guy sounds all heart and compete to me

He has good skill and compete, the problem is that he lacks top end speed and he measured in at 5'8" at the combine. I wouldn't be mad if we drafted him, but I think there are better choices.

Archived