2019 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

With the season behind us now, the next order of business is the draft.

Due to the 1st round exit the Flames are locked into the 26th overall selection. I think with the 1st rounder BT uses it on a D, specifically a RHD as that remains the organizations biggest weakness. If not a righty, I certainly think they take a D given the graduations of Valimaki, Andersson and to a lesser degree Kylington. The only "prospect" D we really have is Andrew Nielsen and Rinat Valiev, if they are even considered prospects anymore. Worth noting both play the left side too.

With that being said based on early mocks and factoring in the organizational need, I would look at RHD Lassi Thomson of the Kelowna Rockets with the 26th overall pick.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/372919/lassi-thomson

If there's a Western league organization that can develop a defender, it's Kelowna and Thomson is under the tutelage of Rockets head coach Adam Foote, his development is in good hands.

Thomson at 26th is a bit higher than he is ranked, most rankings have him at earlier 2nd rounder but the rankings go out the window after the top 10 picks (Janko pick anyone).

Another thing I think is that BT would trade down and get a pair of 2nd's instead of picking 26th. I think this draft will have an emphasis on refilling the cupboards. Wouldn't be surprised at all either if we see Frolik flipped for a 3rd either.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

With the season behind us now, the next order of business is the draft.

Due to the 1st round exit the Flames are locked into the 26th overall selection. I think with the 1st rounder BT uses it on a D, specifically a RHD as that remains the organizations biggest weakness. If not a righty, I certainly think they take a D given the graduations of Valimaki, Andersson and to a lesser degree Kylington. The only "prospect" D we really have is Andrew Nielsen and Rinat Valiev, if they are even considered prospects anymore. Worth noting both play the left side too.

With that being said based on early mocks and factoring in the organizational need, I would look at RHD Lassi Thomson of the Kelowna Rockets with the 26th overall pick.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/372919/lassi-thomson

If there's a Western league organization that can develop a defender, it's Kelowna and Thomson is under the tutelage of Rockets head coach Adam Foote, his development is in good hands.

Thomson at 26th is a bit higher than he is ranked, most rankings have him at earlier 2nd rounder but the rankings go out the window after the top 10 picks (Janko pick anyone).

Another thing I think is that BT would trade down and get a pair of 2nd's instead of picking 26th. I think this draft will have an emphasis on refilling the cupboards. Wouldn't be surprised at all either if we see Frolik flipped for a 3rd either.

I would trade it for a better RW forward. You never draft by positional need IMO.

9 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I would trade it for a better RW forward. You never draft by positional need IMO.

In theory you don't but in reality every team does. 

If you stick to your "list" at the draft you could end up drafting 4 goalies in 6 picks for example.

ARI had the 5th overall pick last year and Zadina was BPA they took Hayton who was ranked in the 10-18 range because they wanted a C, same with Kotkaniemi who went 3rd, he was ranked around 10th as well.

We have enough forward depth, 0 picks spent on D last year that I feel confident that the 1st isn spent on a D this year

25 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

In theory you don't but in reality every team does. 

If you stick to your "list" at the draft you could end up drafting 4 goalies in 6 picks for example.

ARI had the 5th overall pick last year and Zadina was BPA they took Hayton who was ranked in the 10-18 range because they wanted a C, same with Kotkaniemi who went 3rd, he was ranked around 10th as well.

We have enough forward depth, 0 picks spent on D last year that I feel confident that the 1st isn spent on a D this year

I don't think we have the right forward group on the main team which is why I would use the 2019 -1st to fill a more immediate need. I mentioned this in another thread to trade Brodie, Stone, Neal, Frolik and Czarnik to obtain as many 2nd and 3rd round pick as we can get. If BT does this they will be in a position to pick up some D prospects or trade for some.

I think we need to keep this pick and try and get some blue chip prospects back into our prospect pool. Right now our prospect pool is made up of depth players and long shots.

I haven't taken a ton of time to research all of the prospects but here are a few that I like that might be available when we draft.

Raphael Lavoie (C/RW): Good size, good skater and good hands. Needs to develop some consistency, but the tools are all there to be a top line RW.

Nils Hoglander (LW): quick skater, good hands, has a bit of edge to his game. Reminds me of Viktor Arvidsson.

Cole Caufield (RW): really small, but he is an elite scorer, good skater and quick release.

Samuel Poulin (LW): has NHL release, good skill.

Jakob Pelletier (LW): small, but is very quick and very skilled.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Unless the pick has some stud that will be in the NHL in less than 2 years, I am high on trading the pick.

See what rebuilding team wants to trade a player for a cheaper one and a 1st.

Come on cap hell teams, send us your best.

My 1st inclination .. is to trade it for something good , agreed 

if we do pick, there are some interesting choices that according to mock drafts Ive seen could be available 

Spencer Knight G US-Under-17(USAH-NTDP) 6' 3" 194

Ryan Suzuki C London (OHL) 6' 0.5" 165

Connor McMichael C London (OHL) 6' 0" 170

Seeing rave reviews of the goalie Knight , as we all know you can never have too many good Goalie options , we also dont have much of a center pipeline happening , need to focus on the next wave 

I think we gotta keep the pick. We look at other teams getting the Kucherovs, Points, Pastrnaks, Debincrats, Ahos, of the world in the later drafts. Why can’t we? Why not? We are due for another game breaker late rounder. 

It’s there, this is supposed to be a decent draft.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I think we gotta keep the pick. We look at other teams getting the Kucherovs, Points, Pastrnaks, Debincrats, Ahos, of the world in the later drafts. Why can’t we? Why not? We are due for another game breaker late rounder. 

It’s there, this is supposed to be a decent draft.

Also if Dube cracks the team for good, there’s nothing worth getting excited about coming up. We need to add at least one blue chipper this draft I think

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I usually say BPA.  But in my opinion, we have to draft the best RHS available.  We lack this so bad throughout the organization.

I’m with you either a RHD or a right shot C. Crazy that aside from Ryan, the last right shot C to wear the Flaming C was Conroy.

17 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I’m with you either a RHD or a right shot C. Crazy that aside from Ryan, the last right shot C to wear the Flaming C was Conroy.

Ya crazy.  We need a top six C who is RHS.  I wouldn't mind drafting and developing another RHS RD like Andersson either. 

Watch the Flames draft a RHS goalie just to piss us off.

• 3 weeks later...

For me, the best player in the top prospects game was nicholas robertson. Kid has some serious speed, skill, vision and shooting ability.

Other than his size, I'm not sure why he isn't getting more attention. He's also one of the youngest players in this draft.

I'd love if we took him with our pick. Assuming he's still on the board at 26.

I really think the Flames try to draft a RHD with the 26th pick, at the moment the organizational RHD depth is

1. Hamonic
  2. Andersson
  3. Stone
  4. Yelesin

I get you wanna draft BPA, but the draft is a complete guessing game outside of the top 10.

I've said it before but I really like Lassi Thomson

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I really think the Flames try to draft a RHD with the 26th pick, at the moment the organizational RHD depth is

1. Hamonic
  2. Andersson
  3. Stone
  4. Yelesin

I get you wanna draft BPA, but the draft is a complete guessing game outside of the top 10.

I've said it before but I really like Lassi Thomson

But why not Kaedan Korczak from Kelowna?

On 20/04/2019 at 11:22 AM, travel_dude said:

Unless the pick has some stud that will be in the NHL in less than 2 years, I am high on trading the pick.

See what rebuilding team wants to trade a player for a cheaper one and a 1st.

Come on cap hell teams, send us your best.

I think we should be the rebuilding team.

I'd like to upgrade the pick.  For the right deal.

I also agree with the RHD suggestion, in terms of need  (although I would say goalie is our top need).

But, I see this as irrelevant.    You go BPA.

BPA always.  Our only problem, is we get too attached lol.   Gaudreau.   Great BPA pick.  Not a great face of a team in the playoffs.

On 21/04/2019 at 6:48 PM, The_People1 said:

I'm hoping we can trade up using our #26 + Brodie.

Hopefully we can get into the early teens.

I would love this.   I would Also be totally ok with getting it bumped to the 2020 draft.     Which is also very strong, or stronger.  A second chance on the lottery (which we lost this time).

59 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That's interesting.  ISS Top 31 has Korczak ranked but not Thompson.

https://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-31/

Both RHS RD from Kelowna which has been an NHL Dmen factory.

Probably a pick your poison between the 2. I don’t put a ton of stock into ISS as a majority of their scouting is done by unpaid interns trying to get their foot in the door of the scouting world. NHL Central Scouting has Thomson at 15th among NA skaters.

Comes down to what you want though. Thomson is a more offensive d and Korczak projects as more of a defensive d

8 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Probably a pick your poison between the 2. I don’t put a ton of stock into ISS as a majority of their scouting is done by unpaid interns trying to get their foot in the door of the scouting world. NHL Central Scouting has Thomson at 15th among NA skaters.

Comes down to what you want though. Thomson is a more offensive d and Korczak projects as more of a defensive d

Interesting, sometimes ISS is more accurate as to where players get taken.  I find NHLCS to be political.  Players don't climb and fall as much as they should as a season progresses.

What about mock draft sites. Are u familiar?  Are they useful for getting a consensus on which prospects are better?

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2019/

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Interesting, sometimes ISS is more accurate as to where players get taken.  I find NHLCS to be political.  Players don't climb and fall as much as they should as a season progresses.

What about mock draft sites. Are u familiar?  Are they useful for getting a consensus on which prospects are better?

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2019/

I prefer MyNHLDraft over the other site, I find it to be slightly more accurate. Just looking at Draftsite, they have Bowen Byram going 10th, when realistically he goes in the 3-5 range.

Archived