2019 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I would take a serious look at this Goalie for a 3-4th rounder . you cant teach size , and sounds like he has the raw tools to develop 

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/nhl-entry-draft-picks-2019/2019/6/4/18635458/mads-sogaard-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-video-highlights-stats-scouting-report-analysis

Meh, Jon Gillies is 6'-6" and is running out of time.  Size and raw tools isn't anything compared to high hockey IQ but lacks size and tools.  You gotta take the goalie who has 6th sense and can anticipate plays.

29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Meh, Jon Gillies is 6'-6" and is running out of time.  Size and raw tools isn't anything compared to high hockey IQ but lacks size and tools.  You gotta take the goalie who has 6th sense and can anticipate plays.

I won't be shocked to see Gilles still with us as the smoke clears.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

but that's just it , they say this kid has that.. just needs work and growth on some of the skills. .. thats the easy part.. sounds a lot like a Ben bishop if they can develop him to the next level

As I take a closer look at the prospects available in the draft, one guy that I think has potential to be a real steal is John Beecher.

He is big, 6'3" 210lbs, he is a very good skater, he is good in his own end, he is physical, he goes hard to the net. 

The question on him is how much offense is there. He played on a very deep US Development Team and played center behind Hughes, Zegras and Turcotte, getting very little PP time or time in the top 6.

He still put up 43 points in 63 games from 3rd and 4th lines.

With his size, skating ability and willingness to go the net, I think he could have some real untapped offensive ability.

I have seen him compared to Ryan Kesler and Sean Couturier.

He is committed to the University of Michigan, and is probably is 2 to 3 years away from the NHL.

I would have no issue going after Beecher with a lower round pick. Even if he is not highly offensive, sounds like what you need out of a 4th liner anyways and you always need good 4th line players. Question for me, as with many players who commit to US colleges, is whether they want to play somewhere close to home and will they be willing to sign out of college or do they go UFA. For a 4th round pick or later, that could be worth the risk.

4 hours ago, bosn111 said:

I would have no issue going after Beecher with a lower round pick. Even if he is not highly offensive, sounds like what you need out of a 4th liner anyways and you always need good 4th line players. Question for me, as with many players who commit to US colleges, is whether they want to play somewhere close to home and will they be willing to sign out of college or do they go UFA. For a 4th round pick or later, that could be worth the risk.

He will gone in the 2nd round if not in the 1st.

College players signing somewhere else is a rare occurrence and it hasn't happened with a 1st round pick to the best of my knowledge.

If we worried about that that takes a lot of guys out of consideration this year. 

58 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

He will gone in the 2nd round if not in the 1st.

College players signing somewhere else is a rare occurrence and it hasn't happened with a 1st round pick to the best of my knowledge.

If we worried about that that takes a lot of guys out of consideration this year. 

Hayes was the last case, and I believe the rules (unless they have changed) are that if you draft a college kid in the 1st and he doesn’t sign you get a compensation pick.

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Hayes was the last case, and I believe the rules (unless they have changed) are that if you draft a college kid in the 1st and he doesn’t sign you get a compensation pick.

I forgot about Hayes, Chicago drafted him 24th overall and when he didn't sign they got they 54th pick in the next draft.

Thing is if a player wants to do that then they have to sit and play college hockey for 4 years, I think Beecher will be ready before that. If he wants to maximize his career earnings he comes out of college before he gets to 4 years. 

Pronman of the Athletic posted his mock today, has us picking Jakob Pelletier 26th.  Also mentioned Egor Afanasyev as a possible pick. Most the guys we’ve talked about on here, Brink, Tomasino and Hoglander he had taken before we pick. Thomson he has 27th

If BT takes a forward in the 1st, wouldn’t surprise me to see the rest of the picks this year spent on d and a goalie as that’s where we are the thinnest 

Looking at a variety of sources, there is no consensus as to who the Flames will pick or even position. Flames writers claim Knight (NBC agrees on the goalie), Hoglander (x2 for the LW) and Thomson (D). TSN thinks Seider (D). So basically any options we post may or may not be possible and may or may not be likely. Wild guesses at best.

25 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Looking at a variety of sources, there is no consensus as to who the Flames will pick or even position. Flames writers claim Knight (NBC agrees on the goalie), Hoglander (x2 for the LW) and Thomson (D). TSN thinks Seider (D). So basically any options we post may or may not be possible and may or may not be likely. Wild guesses at best.

pretty much .. every site has a different result -- i've seen 2 pretty popular Mock sites showing  Nicholas Robertson (LW)   and Tobias Björnfot (D)

just basically they need to rank them and take BPA.. if that's a goalie, a Fwd or a D, so be it    

Interesting looking at that particular list by Button. Players like Thomson and Hogstom, 2 names who have come up on multiple mock drafts linked to the Flames at 26, are down at 57 and 61. Beecher is 45. He has Seider at 26. Cozens and Kaliyev have dropped into the teens.  If either of them, or Dach are in fact available in the mid teens, then I would definitely consider trying to move up. All 3 look like they could have an impact on the team in a relatively short time frame.

1 hour ago, bosn111 said:

Interesting looking at that particular list by Button. Players like Thomson and Hogstom, 2 names who have come up on multiple mock drafts linked to the Flames at 26, are down at 57 and 61. Beecher is 45. He has Seider at 26. Cozens and Kaliyev have dropped into the teens.  If either of them, or Dach are in fact available in the mid teens, then I would definitely consider trying to move up. All 3 look like they could have an impact on the team in a relatively short time frame.

Kaliyev could easily drop, but to think Dach and Cozens fall out of the top 10. Zero chance that happens. For example reports are the Oilers love both those guys , no chance they’d be slipping past 8th

14 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Kaliyev could easily drop, but to think Dach and Cozens fall out of the top 10. Zero chance that happens. For example reports are the Oilers love both those guys , no chance they’d be slipping past 8th

This statement in isolation makes no sense.  The Oilers only have 1 pick in the top 10.  They cannot ensure both are taken.

BUT, in the event one of them is still available with the Canucks pick or the Flyers pick, then hopefully Brodie + 26th helps us move up.

I would pass on Kaliyev myself even if he was available at 26. I have read in numerous places including from Crzydrvr whose opinion I respect quite a bit, that Kaliyev is very skilled and is a good goal scorer, but his skating is average and his give a crap meter and work ethic are almost non existent. Not the type of player we need here.

This draft is going to very interesting, after Hughes and Kakko go anything can happen. After the top two there is a group of about 8 or 9 players that could go in any order. After that its wide open to about the end of the 2nd round.

I was simply going by the Button list that Peeps posted. He has Dach, Kaliyev, Cozens as 12-14. You may be right that teams take them earlier, but I really don't know. If any or all of these 3 are taken sooner, then who from the list will drop? Krebs? Podkolzin? Harley? Could there be other surprise picks like someone taking Knight before 15? 

I guess I look at the past and see guys like Kylington who were ranked higher, and fell significantly. Many thought Kylington would go 1st round or very early second, but fell all the way to 60. Larry Fischer of thehockeywriters had him going 12th to Dallas. 

The NHL.com writers seem to have the likes of Cozens, Turcotte and Dach going 3,4 pushing Byram to 5 While I have seen most drafts showing Byram as almost a unanimous 3. 2 of the NHL writers have Zegras as low as 9. 

I guess the best thing I can say about my thoughts for the draft this year are: I am confused beyond confusion about where I think players other than Hughes of Kakko will be picked.

But if any of Cozens, Dach, Byram, Zegras, Podkolzin, Broberg or Harley SOMEHOW fall into the mid to late teens (however doubtful), then you have to make a push to move up and grab them. I will listen to those more in the know about Kaliyev. They all have size, stats and positions that the Flames could absolutely use.

I am excited to see what happens. The Flames have decisions to make and I think whatever they choose will either be exciting for the now, for the future or will be a downright head scratcher (I sure hope not).

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

This statement in isolation makes no sense.  The Oilers only have 1 pick in the top 10.  They cannot ensure both are taken.

BUT, in the event one of them is still available with the Canucks pick or the Flyers pick, then hopefully Brodie + 26th helps us move up.

Well put it this way, one would be an Oiler if available, one would be a Hawk, Av or King

Caufield, Boldy, Krebs shouldby allindications be available in the 10-12 range. Button has the American kids ranked higher than anyone else 

15 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Well put it this way, one would be an Oiler if available, one would be a Hawk, Av or King

Caufield, Boldy, Krebs shouldby allindications be available in the 10-12 range. Button has the American kids ranked higher than anyone else 

So what about Brodie + 26th for EDM 8th overall?  

Of all the teams who are picking top 10 and want to become a winner fast, it's the Oilers.  Does Brodie and move down to 26th get it done?

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Of all the teams who are picking top 10 and want to become a winner fast, it's the Oilers.  Does Brodie and move down to 26th get it done?

It is believed the Oilers want immediate help so anything is possible with them, Brodie is better than what they have but maybe they don’t wanna trade with us ...

On 6/7/2019 at 8:38 AM, The_People1 said:

Brodie, Frolik and the 26th? Is that too much? 

Not that it is your posts, but I see a lot of posts that place more value on our players than should be. I guess that’s normal fandom. But I think yo trade within our own div it would cost us more to move up. But would Edmonton value Brodie enough is the question. 

That is a lot though, Brodie plus 26th.

last year I think we could’ve and should’ve tried to do Brodie for a first, or the year he had with Gio in his first stint with him.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Brodie, Frolik and the 26th? Is that too much? 

Not that it is your posts, but I see a lot of posts that place more value on our players than should be. I guess that’s normal fandom. But I think yo trade within our own div it would cost us more to move up. But would Edmonton value Brodie enough is the question. 

That is a lot though, Brodie plus 26th.

last year I think we could’ve and should’ve tried to do Brodie for a first, or the year he had with Gio in his first stint with him.

The value of a 1st seems overblown every year.

We traded a 1st and more for Hamonic and Hamilton in seperate deals.

I would not consider those overpaying.

So, Brodie is a 30+ point top 2 D-man.

He's managed that for the last 6 years, in fact every year he's been a full time NHL player.

He was plus 29 last season.

He has struggled away from Gio, but then again the times he has played elsewhere, we were no a great team on D.

He skates like the wind and is very good at zone entries.

Do you think that a player like that is worth less than a 1st rounder?

Maybe not a top 10 1st, but lets be real here.

Top 2 D don;t get traded for crap.

AT the very least, we should get a top 6 winger back, or a prospect with that ceiling that is close.

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The value of a 1st seems overblown every year.

We traded a 1st and more for Hamonic and Hamilton in seperate deals.

I would not consider those overpaying.

So, Brodie is a 30+ point top 2 D-man.

He's managed that for the last 6 years, in fact every year he's been a full time NHL player.

He was plus 29 last season.

He has struggled away from Gio, but then again the times he has played elsewhere, we were no a great team on D.

He skates like the wind and is very good at zone entries.

Do you think that a player like that is worth less than a 1st rounder?

Maybe not a top 10 1st, but lets be real here.

Top 2 D don;t get traded for crap.

AT the very least, we should get a top 6 winger back, or a prospect with that ceiling that is close.

I agree. 

And I think I was undervaluing him in the suggested trade. Maybe it’s the one year left on the deal. But I could see Brodie not wanting to move far away to stay close to family due to his wife’s situation.

I think he’s worth a top 6 as well.

Archived