Burn it Down?

kehatch

39 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I could see this going as you suggest only because I don't think a move to another "better" Goalie exists currently. 

That's true.

There may not be a goalie upgrade anywhere even if management tried so no need to get all conspiratorial on my part.  Our goalies suck and our season will go as far as they take us... Which is to say, a top 5 pick this year.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pacific is a bad division this far so it’s not too late by any stretch we are still in a good spot.

Regarding to burn it down or not I think if this season goes poorly we will see a big trade of a core member of the team. I’m talking a Monahan or Gaudreau being dealt... let’s hope it doesn’t come to that 

25 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Agreed. 

Hate getting so dramatic about a game so early in the season but this is going to tell you what you want to know about the Flames leadership group. If you can't get up for games, can't recognize the important of games, and continue to come out flat that's not coaching, personnel, lines GM whatever. It's on your leadership group and it's on your players.

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Agreed. 

Hate getting so dramatic about a game so early in the season but this is going to tell you what you want to know about the Flames leadership group. If you can't get up for games, can't recognize the important of games, and continue to come out flat that's not coaching, personnel, lines GM whatever. It's on your leadership group and it's on your players.

I agree 100%. This next game could be a make or break game for this season, which is very sad to say on Oct. 26th.

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Agreed. 

Peters had a funny thing to say after the Tkachuk comments post MTL.

Someone asked him How much of a leader Tkachuk was being for calling the team out and saying they needed to come out and show what they are made of.  Peters said, we'll see.  Depends on if the talk is followed up with actions.

I think that comment from BP sums up what he expects to see from the C and A's.  And by the team responding to them.

Talk is talk and BS walks.

I

16 hours ago, kehatch said:

I have said it before.  This team is in their window to win now.  They are built, the pieces are in place, they should be trying to win a cup.  And if they aren't good enough that is a problem.  I will give the team another 30 or so games, but right now I think there are some SERIOUS flaws on this team that may require a complete rebuild. 

We don't have an identity

We aren't fast.  We aren't heavy.  We aren't great defensively.  We don't have a lot of skill.  We are mediocre offensively.  We aren't a lunch pale team.  What is our team identity even supposed to be?  We are a mishmash of parts that don't fit together all of that well.  

We don't have high caliber stars

I am sorry, I love our players.  But we don't have a McDavid, Mathews, Crosby, Karlsson, Doughty, Price, etc.  When is the last time a team one a cup without a star player or three?  

Our best player has an expiry date, as does most of our D

Giordano is slowing down and he is the closest thing to a star we have.  Brodie and Hamonic are both near the end of their contracts as well.  That is 75% of our top 4.  

We don't have the pieces to fix the issues

We don't have any cap space.  We don't have enough pieces in the system to go after big names either.  

We don't have enough coming up through the system

Dube, Andersson, and Valimaki are good stories. But we don't have any game changers in our system, and our system as a whole isn't particularly strong. 

What if we were to trade Gaudreau (not good defensively), Monahan (slow and not good defensively), Backlund (a bit older), Giordano (slowing down), Neal (older), Brodie (expiring contract), and Hamonic (expiring contract).  Tank for a few years.  Build the team back up.  What kind of haul would we get in that scenario? We still have some good, young, long term pieces on the team. 

It won't happen.  Owners, Calgary owners in particular, won't go for it.  But unless this team finds three more gears then they absolutely should. Otherwise they will wait until those pieces are lost of nothing or aren't worth a damn and we will be back to the pre Iggy trade all over again.  

17 hours ago, kehatch said:

I have said it before.  This team is in their window to win now.  They are built, the pieces are in place, they should be trying to win a cup.  And if they aren't good enough that is a problem.  I will give the team another 30 or so games, but right now I think there are some SERIOUS flaws on this team that may require a complete rebuild. 

We don't have an identity

We aren't fast.  We aren't heavy.  We aren't great defensively.  We don't have a lot of skill.  We are mediocre offensively.  We aren't a lunch pale team.  What is our team identity even supposed to be?  We are a mishmash of parts that don't fit together all of that well.  

We don't have high caliber stars

I am sorry, I love our players.  But we don't have a McDavid, Mathews, Crosby, Karlsson, Doughty, Price, etc.  When is the last time a team one a cup without a star player or three?  

Our best player has an expiry date, as does most of our D

Giordano is slowing down and he is the closest thing to a star we have.  Brodie and Hamonic are both near the end of their contracts as well.  That is 75% of our top 4.  

We don't have the pieces to fix the issues

We don't have any cap space.  We don't have enough pieces in the system to go after big names either.  

We don't have enough coming up through the system

Dube, Andersson, and Valimaki are good stories. But we don't have any game changers in our system, and our system as a whole isn't particularly strong. 

What if we were to trade Gaudreau (not good defensively), Monahan (slow and not good defensively), Backlund (a bit older), Giordano (slowing down), Neal (older), Brodie (expiring contract), and Hamonic (expiring contract).  Tank for a few years.  Build the team back up.  What kind of haul would we get in that scenario? We still have some good, young, long term pieces on the team. 

It won't happen.  Owners, Calgary owners in particular, won't go for it.  But unless this team finds three more gears then they absolutely should. Otherwise they will wait until those pieces are lost of nothing or aren't worth a damn and we will be back to the pre Iggy trade all over again.  

Burn it down? Get a grip. I, know it has been a while. But, a Stanley cup winning coach who was hired by Feaster got us into the playoffs and we won the first round with bad possession numbers. That, shows how good of a coach Hartley was. He, still got us in to the playoffs and won a round. The players are responsible for possession numbers.Then BT hires bums as coaches and we've been not good ever since. Last two coaches have sucked cause BT is arrogant and brilliant. Burn, BT down.

14 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

I

Burn it down? Get a grip. I, know it has been a while. But, a Stanley cup winning coach who was hired by Feaster got us into the playoffs and we won the first round with bad possession numbers. That, shows how good of a coach Hartley was. He, still got us in to the playoffs and won a round. The players are responsible for possession numbers.Then BT hires bums as coaches and we've been not good ever since. Last two coaches have sucked cause BT is arrogant and brilliant. Burn, BT down.

I think you guys all need to get a grip, its October.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Totally disagree.

They are scoring on us from shots along the side boards.  This is not a "what are we made of" problem.  This is a "our goalies suck" problem.

I don't know about that... it's a huge part "what are we made of".

Their effort level the last 3 games has been atrocious with no real change game to game. Their effort level in the 2nd half of the game last night was also embarrassing to say the least. 

They are giving up the most high danger scoring chances in the league, this is not only a goalie issue. 

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Totally disagree.

They are scoring on us from shots along the side boards.  This is not a "what are we made of" problem.  This is a "our goalies suck" problem.

This team has been flat out terrible in the last 3 games and it has very little to with goaltending. We were going to lose last night regardless of who was in net, maybe if Rittich was in net for the whole game it would have been 6-1 instead of 9-1, but it would have been a steam rolling either way.

Smith has been flat out terrible no doubt, but our play away from the puck has been just as bad. You can also add our PP to that list, its way too predictable.

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

Great point.

If people want to burn it down, that's fine and they have their reasons. i respect where Kehatch is coming from but if you want to go that route you need to be prepared that the most likely of outcomes is you do it and 4-5 years from now your in the same boat. There is no guaranteed nor increased probability IMO that another rebuild is going to yield better results as it's a very luck driven plan, especially with the new draft format. I'm not attracted to the idea of building a team based on hope.

I think this is what happens when a team rushes things. 

We’ve spent years debating the merits of how things got to this point. All of us have good reasons for our theories and I respect everyone on here. It is great seeing ideas and without the difference the boards would be less interesting. 

I am passionate about the team. I want better as well as everyone else. Some believe it’ll come, there is reason for optimism, while others think trends are trends and it’s hard for some to see the light until the team fully buck the trends. 

I have loved the flames since ‘89. No less when we took the dive. Those teams still tried and I loved the effort. That’s also why we loved the “Find-a-way Flames." With this group, if they tried and came up short I’d understand and applaud them. It is hard to when the effort is as terrible as it has been for 50% of the games this season.

A good slap to the face like this can wake up a team. We have all been concerned about goaltending, and that appears problematic, but this team is sound for the most part. I do not think that 9-1 is a fair representation of the talent of the team. It is indicative of where their heads were at last night. Somehow, they all collectively collapsed. They will turn this around. The question is how consistent they will play once this disaster fades from memory. And of course, what is going on with Smith? Has he recovered from the downward spiral of last year?

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

This team has been flat out terrible in the last 3 games and it has very little to with goaltending. We were going to lose last night regardless of who was in net, maybe if Rittich was in net for the whole game it would have been 6-1 instead of 9-1, but it would have been a steam rolling either way.

Smith has been flat out terrible no doubt, but our play away from the puck has been just as bad. You can also add our PP to that list, its way too predictable.

Oddly enough that was one of the things last night I was vaguely hopeful about. It wasn't 10+ perimeter passes and no shot. Having Neal out there gave us someone who wasn't scared to shoot if there was an opportunity. I think it was said there was 7 shots on one of the PPs. Sure the result wasnt any different but at least it was something different that could be worked on.

14 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think you guys all need to get a grip, its October.

9-1 against a stacked stanley cup contender. Not, like it was the Coyotes. The coaching staff has to get a handle on defensive coverage right now. I feel, weird saying that because theyre pro players theyve all been in high level hockey their whole life. So, figure it out boys.

Just now, JTech780 said:

Like, ive said since last year. D needs to figure their stuff out quick. Gio, is awsome but he needs to lead his D and teach them where to be.

Just now, Cowtownguy said:

I was thinking that they needed to be bag skated after the Montreal game. The problem was that the short-term schedule was quite hectic, and they needed the recuperation. 

I agree with a bag skate until they puke. If, they win its 7-5. There isnt any diving for pucks. The, team is just in disarray. Maybe, just too many millennials on the team. 

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

Agreed. 

Have to agree at this point. Was Smith to blame for a couple goals yes , but not all. Watch the replays its blown coverage, bad decisions by Dman and Forwards, the hardest working guy for the Flames was the goal light. Chucky makes a statement that "we will be better" after the MTL game, he must be having a hard time eating that statement.

At present this is not on BP he's pissed and right fully so. Is the WSH game  the make or break game of the year no however, Real men step up to adversity, let's see how the millennial's react to this challenge.

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

I don't know about that... it's a huge part "what are we made of".

Their effort level the last 3 games has been atrocious with no real change game to game. Their effort level in the 2nd half of the game last night was also embarrassing to say the least. 

They are giving up the most high danger scoring chances in the league, this is not only a goalie issue. 

What I found most appalling was the effort on the Penguins 9th goal.  Neal finally scores with a couple minutes left and the rest of the team can't even put in one last shift to close out the game.  They come out coasting and get scored on by a 40 year old career fourth liner (Matt Cullen).   It is 7nacceptable to hang the goalie out to dry in that situation.  

Archived