James Neal

redfire11

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I think that Neal would look best with an elite playmaker like JH or Lindholm.

JH reads the ice like no other.

Tkachuk is best at short passes to the slot and breakouts, IMHO.

Replace Lindy with Neal on the top line and you might spread the offense a bit better.

JH-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett

Janko-Backlund-Frolik

Mangiapane-Ryan-Hathaway

The 3rd line is the new shutdown line.  Three guys with speed and defensive ability.  Top line allows Neal more chances off the rush and JH can feed him in the slot.  The 2nd line has the benefit of two C's to split the faceoffs but puts Lindholm in the middle to distribute and finish.

This probably belongs in the lineup thread, but we are talking Neal.  Many ways to skin a cat, but we haven't seen anything resembling this in the past.  Janko has the size to be an effective winger.  He gets the Backlund bump and we aren't burying other lines in the D-zone.  Lindholm has the finish to still put up career numbers, but help Tkachuk and Bennett along the way.   Strangely enough, the lineup isn't really flawed right now.  2nd in league scoring.  Tkachuk having a banner year.  Backlund starting to heat up.  Frolik chugging along now.  We don't need to change anything, but it's good to have secondary options, ie. blender games.  

I disagree because starting with the top line it as become obvious Lindholm as made both Monahan and Gaudreau better overall players like himself. Tkachuk by playing with Backlund and Frolik has learned to be defensively responsible but his skating is not great. Bennett has grown more responsible defensively, carries the puck well and has the speed to make up the lack of it in both Tkachuk and Neal. I know this may be a stretch but I believe Bennett could become like Monahan for this line around the net. Neal is not the all round player Lindholm is but he is as good a sniper as anybody when fed good passes. These should be our top 2 scoring lines

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think that Neal would look best with an elite playmaker like JH or Lindholm.

JH reads the ice like no other.

Tkachuk is best at short passes to the slot and breakouts, IMHO.

Replace Lindy with Neal on the top line and you might spread the offense a bit better.

JH-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett

Janko-Backlund-Frolik

Mangiapane-Ryan-Hathaway

The 3rd line is the new shutdown line.  Three guys with speed and defensive ability.  Top line allows Neal more chances off the rush and JH can feed him in the slot.  The 2nd line has the benefit of two C's to split the faceoffs but puts Lindholm in the middle to distribute and finish.

This probably belongs in the lineup thread, but we are talking Neal.  Many ways to skin a cat, but we haven't seen anything resembling this in the past.  Janko has the size to be an effective winger.  He gets the Backlund bump and we aren't burying other lines in the D-zone.  Lindholm has the finish to still put up career numbers, but help Tkachuk and Bennett along the way.   Strangely enough, the lineup isn't really flawed right now.  2nd in league scoring.  Tkachuk having a banner year.  Backlund starting to heat up.  Frolik chugging along now.  We don't need to change anything, but it's good to have secondary options, ie. blender games.  

For what it's worth, I think bumping Neal up to the first line will reduce first line scoring.  He won't score as much as Lindholm. 

Dropping Lindholm to the second line will increase scoring on the second line.  Bumping Bennett up to the second line will reduce scoring on the second line (he isn't going to be an offensive player in the nhl, he is an energy player).  These two probably cancel eachother out.  

Dropping Backlund and Frolik to the third line will increase third line scoring.  

The fourth line stays the same.  

If you add all this up, it is at best a wash.  I don't see the upside.  The Flames are already second in the league in scoring, not a lot of room for improvement offensively.  

I agree that things are chugging along and there is no need to tinker, much less overhaul the lineup.  

1 hour ago, stubblejumper1 said:

For what it's worth, I think bumping Neal up to the first line will reduce first line scoring.  He won't score as much as Lindholm. 

Dropping Lindholm to the second line will increase scoring on the second line.  Bumping Bennett up to the second line will reduce scoring on the second line (he isn't going to be an offensive player in the nhl, he is an energy player).  These two probably cancel eachother out.  

Dropping Backlund and Frolik to the third line will increase third line scoring.  

The fourth line stays the same.  

If you add all this up, it is at best a wash.  I don't see the upside.  The Flames are already second in the league in scoring, not a lot of room for improvement offensively.  

I agree that things are chugging along and there is no need to tinker, much less overhaul the lineup.  

Better stay away from the realistic trades page. Apparently we got Marner, Zibanejad, Couturier, and Stone to shake up the lines.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I think Neal been good for a the last 15 -20 games or so and definetly trending in the right direction. 7 points now in his last 14 goals, albeit only 2 goals, but he's been good. Just needs things to bounce his way and I think things will be fine. 

I thought Neal looked very engaged last night. To the point I was getting pissed at Bennett and Jankowski forgetting there's a 3rd guy on their line.

I feel like Bennett's record is scratched and skipping again.

Plays with jam, love it. Gets comfortable and starts trying to stickhandle through everyone again, hate it.

He's gotta get consistency imo. I still find myself asking, what is he?

His giveaway to Burns was brutal. He looked pretty complacent that getting past Burns would be easy. Just looked like caution didn't even enter his mind.

32 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I thought Neal looked very engaged last night. To the point I was getting pissed at Bennett and Jankowski forgetting there's a 3rd guy on their line.

Plays with jam, love it. Gets comfortable and starts trying to stickhandle through everyone again, hate it.

His giveaway to Burns was brutal. He looked pretty complacent that getting past Burns would be easy. Just looked like caution didn't even enter his mind.

He seems to trend up and down.

The up helps the team win.

The down helps the team lose.

Last night was a down.  

36 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I agree with cross that Neal's game as been getting better bit by bit however I still believe he won't max out on his norms with these linemates, something as to give here.

Con I am with you on Bennett in that I don't think he has that scoring touch any longer. I will say he, Gaudreau and Brodie are the best we have in bringing the puck into the O zone. They are also the ones coughing up the puck the most. Maybe we need a 4th line of Bennett, Lazar and Hathaway and turn them loose. I think I have given up on Bennett being anything more than a 3rd or 4th line LW.

5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I agree with cross that Neal's game as been getting better bit by bit however I still believe he won't max out on his norms with these linemates, something as to give here.

Con I am with you on Bennett in that I don't think he has that scoring touch any longer. I will say he, Gaudreau and Brodie are the best we have in bringing the puck into the O zone. They are also the ones coughing up the puck the most. Maybe we need a 4th line of Bennett, Lazar and Hathaway and turn them loose. I think I have given up on Bennett being anything more than a 3rd or 4th line LW.

I don't want to get all down on Bennett, so I'll turn to Hathaway.

Are you an NHLer? Hmmm borderline. Are you where you're supposed to be when you need to be there? Hmmm, not really.

But with all of his faults, you know what you're getting.

Skill or try hard can keep you in the NHL.

He's the latter.

Something about, "ah should you even be here" players that do it with "try harder" melts my heart.

And, he still draws penalties.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I don't want to get all down on Bennett, so I'll turn to Hathaway.

Are you an NHLer? Hmmm borderline. Are you where you're supposed to be when you need to be there? Hmmm, not really.

But with all of his faults, you know what you're getting.

Skill or try hard can keep you in the NHL.

He's the latter.

Something about, "ah should you even be here" players that do it with "try harder" melts my heart.

And, he still draws penalties.

Hathaway from the time he arrived has always done his part and even contributes his share of goals from the 4th line. Bennett I can see what made him successful in Junior because he can be a handful for lesser competition. The problem now is his previous style isn't translating into results, he is frustrated and so are we. BT has gone about measuring him correctly and paying him accordingly which is one saving grace but I am adjusting my expectations for him. I think he would be a good #3 C.

56 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I think that the game against the Sharks is exactly the reason that we need James Neal. I'm glad that he's playing better. We're really going to need his experience, and his skill set as we start to see more games like this one. 

Love. 

Yes, that is about right.  I think he will shine as time goes on.  Bennett is dragging him down some nights.  Maybe it would be best to have a RHS on RW and Neal on LW for some time.  Maybe not.  I know how Neal likes to score, but I don't see him involved in that kind of rush.

On 2019-02-08 at 4:17 PM, travel_dude said:

Yes, that is about right.  I think he will shine as time goes on.  Bennett is dragging him down some nights.  Maybe it would be best to have a RHS on RW and Neal on LW for some time.  Maybe not.  I know how Neal likes to score, but I don't see him involved in that kind of rush.

Its more Jankowski dragging him down than Bennett. I think Bennett and Neal have both been good for a while now but could really use an upgrade at their center. I'd put Ryan there if it were me. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Its more Jankowski dragging him down than Bennett. I think Bennett and Neal have both been good for a while now but could really use an upgrade at their center. I'd put Ryan there if it were me. 

I think it started that way, to no avail.

It's hard to tell who dragging down who right now.

I get that Janko's stats seem bad, but is he the only reason?

Just going to put this out there.

Mangiapane-Janko-Neal

Initally, when Mangiapane came up, he played in that spot and thought he looked pretty good.

It's just a thought, since I don't think we have to fix anything.

Having more than one look is nice to have.

28 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

How is that not a major penalty. I get it isn’t vicious but he lost probably what was left of his teeth.

plus I thought Vancouver fans were classless about cheering when it went on the  jumbotron.

Double minor was about right.

VAN fans and class should not be used in the same sentence.

Must be tough to live there with that. :) 

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Double minor was about right.

VAN fans and class should not be used in the same sentence.

Must be tough to live there with that. :) 

I swear I heard people yelling FLAMES SUCK during the pregame moment of silence for the passing of one of the longtime owners.

Archived