James Neal

redfire11

18 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Another good one.  To end up more or less the same it is imperative to either sign Duchene, offer sheet Point, or maybe go all-in with either Getzlaf or Malkin.  The 1C is the key and there are very, very few options for that guy. I have serious doubts Chicago would trade Toews, or Philly Couterier, or Dallas Seguin.  Who else might fit the bill.... just spit-balling here...…

We may have to go a more pedestrian route like our 2004 team rather than consider any high priced help. Get Tkachuk signed and build him a line with better talent than Backlund and Frolik. Build a better 3rd line as well.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

We may have to go a more pedestrian route like our 2004 team rather than consider any high priced help. Get Tkachuk signed and build him a line with better talent than Backlund and Frolik. Build a better 3rd line as well.

BT has never been shy about big trades and hefty UFA signings.

We are only in cap jail as long as we have Brodie, Stone, Frolik and no goalies signed.

Everyone is talking about the Flames putrid playoffs as the reason to trade everyone, but the reality is that some of this started long before the season ended.

Goaltending was a mess, and rather than pull the plug on Smith after the first loss, they left him there.

Defense didn't play with any sort of smarts.

No gap control.

Let the other team walk into the zone.

Be at the mercy of puck cycling.

Solutions have to take into account regular season struggles and not just look at playoff results.

The 2004 team was a lunchpail crew who just got in the playoffs.  They did what STL is doing.

You don't manage to re-capture that magic two years in a row.

I do agree that a better 2nd and 3rd line needs to be built.  That means trades and UFA's to fix the issues.  Backlund, Frolik, Neal, Bennett and Janko have to be looked at for whether they are part of the solution, and not just players we like and need to find guys to play with.  

30 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

BT has never been shy about big trades and hefty UFA signings.

We are only in cap jail as long as we have Brodie, Stone, Frolik and no goalies signed.

Everyone is talking about the Flames putrid playoffs as the reason to trade everyone, but the reality is that some of this started long before the season ended.

Goaltending was a mess, and rather than pull the plug on Smith after the first loss, they left him there.

Defense didn't play with any sort of smarts.

No gap control.

Let the other team walk into the zone.

Be at the mercy of puck cycling.

Solutions have to take into account regular season struggles and not just look at playoff results.

The 2004 team was a lunchpail crew who just got in the playoffs.  They did what STL is doing.

You don't manage to re-capture that magic two years in a row.

I do agree that a better 2nd and 3rd line needs to be built.  That means trades and UFA's to fix the issues.  Backlund, Frolik, Neal, Bennett and Janko have to be looked at for whether they are part of the solution, and not just players we like and need to find guys to play with.  

THX for your overview of the happenings and our situation.

57 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

gaudreau/? /?

tkachuk/monahan/Lindholm

bennett/ Dube/ Hathaway

Mangiapane/Ryan/Czarnik

trade bait. forwards... Backlund/Neal/ Jankowski/ Frolik/Quine

18 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

gaudreau/? /?

tkachuk/monahan/Lindholm

bennett/ Dube/ Hathaway

Mangiapane/Ryan/Czarnik

trade bait. forwards... Backlund/Neal/ Jankowski/ Frolik/Quine

I would never put Tkachuk and Monahan together due to both being not great skaters. I believe its a must to have two talented speedy wingers with both of them. I do think we need another talented C and two talented RWs especially if Treliving manages to unload Neal. I think I am going to give up on scenarios and let Treliving do his thing . Once we see what he manages to accomplish we can discuss the offseason more.

3 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

I would never put Tkachuk and Monahan together due to both being not great skaters. I believe its a must to have two talented speedy wingers with both of them. I do think we need another talented C and two talented RWs especially if Treliving manages to unload Neal. I think I am going to give up on scenarios and let Treliving do his thing . Once we see what he manages to accomplish we can discuss the offseason more.

Somewhat agreed because we never tried it so we don't know until we do.  I would only put Tkachuk and Monahan together if we were to trade Gaudreau for Marner and put Marner on that line.

But alas, the Leafs will sell Marleau and Zaitsev to save cap.  They can keep Marner for sure now.

2 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

I see your logic but.. I don't think they can keep up with the play with 2 speed guys. especially with the way the Flames enter the offensive zone.. .. Skate like hell to the blueline.. stop.. Pass the puck back to the defence and let them carry it in.. Speed on the Flames only works for half the ice length.. Tkachuk and Monahan play at the same speed and would be better suited playing together .. My opinion.. they are quality nhlers , so their skating isn't really that bad.. and those two players should never be on for a penalty kill anyways where speed is essential

25 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

I see your logic but.. I don't think they can keep up with the play with 2 speed guys. especially with the way the Flames enter the offensive zone.. .. Skate like hell to the blueline.. stop.. Pass the puck back to the defence and let them carry it in.. Speed on the Flames only works for half the ice length.. Tkachuk and Monahan play at the same speed and would be better suited playing together .. My opinion.. they are quality nhlers , so their skating isn't really that bad.. and those two players should never be on for a penalty kill anyways where speed is essential

Sorry I disagree.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Somewhat agreed because we never tried it so we don't know until we do.  I would only put Tkachuk and Monahan together if we were to trade Gaudreau for Marner and put Marner on that line.

But alas, the Leafs will sell Marleau and Zaitsev to save cap.  They can keep Marner for sure now.

We aren't getting Marner, give it up man.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Ha!  It's too bad they freed up Marleau and Zaitsev's cap hits. 

It won't happen anymore.

When did that happen?

I heard Marleau wants to move home, but that doesn't mean they find a sucker to take on his full contract.

Zaitsev is cheap, but about as overrated as they come.

They can find a taker for him, but they haven't yet.

I do think they move Kadri just because the fans have spoken.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

When did that happen?

I heard Marleau wants to move home, but that doesn't mean they find a sucker to take on his full contract.

Zaitsev is cheap, but about as overrated as they come.

They can find a taker for him, but they haven't yet.

I do think they move Kadri just because the fans have spoken.

Prior to Marleau requesting a trade, it was thought Marleau wanted to finish his final season in Toronto.  The optics of moving him was bad.  But they've been given the green light and that's exactly what they needed.  There's going to be a taker at half price.  Still, saves enough cap to give the Leafs enough room to sign Marner.

Zaitsev may have been traded regardless but now we know he wants to be moved.  Addition by subtraction.  Still, a RHS RD that many teams need that... Though that means the Leafs need a RD more than ever before.

Archived