Oilers

Their depth is an improvement on last years bottom 6.

Ryan is a good pick up for them and i think that 3rd line maybe better than we hope!

The D could be interesting

I hope I am wrong and it is all a shambles but McD is coming into his prime years and could put this lot on his shoulders and carry them.4

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Their depth is an improvement on last years bottom 6.

Ryan is a good pick up for them and i think that 3rd line maybe better than we hope!

The D could be interesting

I hope I am wrong and it is all a shambles but McD is coming into his prime years and could put this lot on his shoulders and carry them.4

So, honest to goodness, I actually want the Oilers to do well.  With some stipulations:

1.  never better than the Flames

2.  I will still bash them regularly

My feel on this is that we have seen McDavid at his best.   Already.   He might improve very very slightly, or he might maintain this level for several years, but I would not anticipate a dramatic improvement form his current PPG.

If the Oilers wanted to win a cup they would need real defence and real goaltending.   They have not even made serious efforts at either.  Granted their cap space makes it hard, but I don't even think it's a focus for them.    McDavid will either be gone, or be in decline before they figure that out.   If they ever figure it out (let's be serious how obvious was the goaltending issue).

I am torn because I want them to do well and that means keeping McDavid.  But  from a pure hockey perspective I wish McDavid would move to another team so we can really see how good he is right now.    The current setup is going nowhere other than an ok regular season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I watched the game.  Not surprised that his bucket came off.  That has happened with a stiff body check.

He's douchebag, but I hope the Oilers do not play him for at least a week.

He was out cold.

Was he picking that fight off of the draw? Looked like it in the short clip that I saw.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Was he picking that fight off of the draw? Looked like it in the short clip that I saw.

Yes, this was retaliation for an earlier hit on an Oiler.

Not sure if was running Smith by him or Podkolzin.

The Oilers are one of the dirtier teams in the league, so I laugh when I hear them whining about lack of calls the other way.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I watched the game.  Not surprised that his bucket came off.  That has happened with a stiff body check.

He's douchebag, but I hope the Oilers do not play him for at least a week.

He was out cold.

He'll be good to go for an opening night run in with his BFF, can never doubt an organization run by a dinosaur.

10 hours ago, sak22 said:

He'll be good to go for an opening night run in with his BFF, can never doubt an organization run by a dinosaur.

Top kek.  A couple doses of opioids should have him back and ready for opening night in no time!

Wasn't Jujhar Khaira KO'd by Ritchie and then only sat out 1 game?  Or when he got rocked by Romanov, he basically got ready for the playoffs in record time.  Then the Oilers kicked him to the curb in the summer.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Top kek.  A couple doses of opioids should have him back and ready for opening night in no time!

Wasn't Jujhar Khaira KO'd by Ritchie and then only sat out 1 game?  Or when he got rocked by Romanov, he basically got ready for the playoffs in record time.  Then the Oilers kicked him to the curb in the summer.

They break all their toys and then buy new ones.

Probabl the old toys or useless ones will last for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how the NHL determines it's schedules, but it sure seems like they gift one team over another.

It looks like CGY plays 14 sets of B2B games, while the Oilers have 7 sets.

How is that reasonable.

I know every year the Oilers gets a gift of the least B2B games, but this isn't even close.

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Not sure how the NHL determines it's schedules, but it sure seems like they gift one team over another.

How is that reasonable.

I know every year the Oilers gets a gift of the least B2B games, but this isn't even close.

Wings - 13 sets.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

How is that reasonable.

I'm guessing because the Oilers own their arena so they get priority for every game when NHL schedules their season? 

To be honest I like our schedule over the Oilers.  2 8 gamers are rough, even if they have the Christmas and Olympics breaking them up, its still a lot of extended trips.  The Flames will play most of its eastern games in the first 2 months and don't play in that time zone after January.  Roll 4 lines and keep a fresh backup and back to backs shouldn't be an issue.  

35 minutes ago, sak22 said:

To be honest I like our schedule over the Oilers.  2 8 gamers are rough, even if they have the Christmas and Olympics breaking them up, its still a lot of extended trips.  The Flames will play most of its eastern games in the first 2 months and don't play in that time zone after January.  Roll 4 lines and keep a fresh backup and back to backs shouldn't be an issue.  

i hope they keep rotating the goalies like this. Keeping both fresh is also playing the backup enough to be game focussed.

30 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i hope they keep rotating the goalies like this. Keeping both fresh is also playing the backup enough to be game focussed.

Playing the backup on a non back to back situation after the starter got a shut out is the type of thinking I'm just not used to with this team, I think it was a few years ago that they had a start planned for Talbot early in the year but changed it because Rittich got a shut out, Rittich was average the next start and Talbot had a slow start as a Flame, get the back up in early because you'll never know if you'll need to depend on him.

59 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Playing the backup on a non back to back situation after the starter got a shut out is the type of thinking I'm just not used to with this team, I think it was a few years ago that they had a start planned for Talbot early in the year but changed it because Rittich got a shut out, Rittich was average the next start and Talbot had a slow start as a Flame, get the back up in early because you'll never know if you'll need to depend on him.

ya I definitely agree! I wonder if they created a schedule and actually stuck to the schedule.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, medatswhoP said:

Oilers suck, this thread needs an update, a one line wonder this team, cant wait to see them fold again in the playoffs.

Well, they have an easy schedule to start the season.  Helps keep fans invested in the belief they are a contender.  I'm not sure what they have proven so far.  A bunch of wins to start, against a bunch of backups.  Lucky to get Vegas and Boston when they are in a skid.  Defense is actually worse, but some argue Keith and Ceci are better than Bear and Larsson.  The players beyond the top 5 are suspect.  McD, Drai, Nuge, Hyman and Poolie.  Foegele and Ryan doing little.  Yamamoto struggling.  Perlini, Turris, McLeod, Scevior are fringe players.  Perlini was the typical "score a bunch in pre-season" type.   

Who doesn't love chasing rabbit-holes?

Let's revisit this epic 2020 trade deadline deal.

Oilers acquire:

Andreas Athanasiou

Ryan Kufner

AA: 9games, 1g, 1a. Playdown: 4games, zeroes.

Neither player received a QO the following season.

Detroit acquires:

Sam Gagner

2020 2nd rd pick

2021 2nd rd pick

Sam Gagner; 4th line LW; 60games, 10g, 12 a

2nd PP, 1st PK units. Detroit loves blue collar.

Been extended twice on $850,000per deals. He's found a home.

2020 2nd(45th): traded down for 51st & 97th oa

51st: Theodor Niederbach(C/W)19yo: currently RW for Frolunda(SHL) 19g, 2g, 2a

97th: Sam Stange (RW)20yo: U of Wisconsin Sophomore, 12g, 1g, 1a

2021 2nd (52nd oa): traded with Richard Panik to NYI for Nick Leddy.

Nick Leddy (LD): Mentor for Seider/Hronek. Top paring, really impressing. I can see him being extended after this year and potentially retiring a Wing. $5.5 is very acceptable!

What a nice gift Mr. Holland. If it weren't for the Mantha deal, this one would be the most epic fail.lol