Can anyone step up for the 17/18 season?

8 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I agree you play the minutes you earn, but the rest of the 4th line has to be ready for those minutes not just janko. I really doubt he would get pk or pp time, so give him quality minutes with backlund if hes ready and call it a day. Theres no harm in switching a center to the wing for a year, and letting him take some draws etc.

A player gets the extra minutes, not all players on a line.  You might double shift Johnny out there with Janko and whoever.  

Considering how much time on the PK Stajan got, Janko could take that too.  

It all depends on how he shows.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

A player gets the extra minutes, not all players on a line.  You might double shift Johnny out there with Janko and whoever.  

Considering how much time on the PK Stajan got, Janko could take that too.  

It all depends on how he shows.

Yes I get all the players on a line can get extra minutes, but most NHL coaches dont double shift guys on the regular, so janko is not going to get huge minutes on the 4th line.

2 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Yes I get all the players on a line can get extra minutes, but most NHL coaches dont double shift guys on the regular, so janko is not going to get huge minutes on the 4th line.

Stajan played anywhere from a low of 8 to a high of 15.  The most minutes by a center is usually around 18, at least here.

If he makes the team, his play will determine minutes.  A big center that can play 2-way hockey well enough should be in the NHL earning those minutes.

It's not like he is making the jump from junior; he's almost 23.

6 hours ago, MAC331 said:

If they don't get rid of Stajan it won't matter what kind of camp Jankowski has because they will start the season with Stajan as 4th line C. Maybe a line of Mangiapane LW, Jankowski C and Foo RW in Stockton becomes a first line of back ups for the NHL team. I get the feeling from BT's comment about prospects "over-ripening" not being a bad thing has our gap of ready to replace being a focus.

5 hours ago, MAC331 said:

The best position of success would be C for Jankowski and I see no reason to change this path of development. We now have players for injuries that can fill in position for position between AHL and the NHL team. This could be what management is trying to achieve for this upcoming season.

I would differ somewhat in opinion. I would rather not bring up Jankowski to play 4th line minutes or sit in the stands as the extra centre. Thus see no reason to get rid of Stajan unless he can bring in a decent return in trade.

I guess the difference is I don't see a 4th line Stajan as a threat to Janks  from that perspective. I see Backs and Bennett the competition to Janks at least from a centre position.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Stajan played anywhere from a low of 8 to a high of 15.  The most minutes by a center is usually around 18, at least here.

If he makes the team, his play will determine minutes.  A big center that can play 2-way hockey well enough should be in the NHL earning those minutes.

It's not like he is making the jump from junior; he's almost 23.

A low of 8 and a high of 15 are pretty different. Its not just if hes getting 15 mins a night, its who hes playing with. I dont think you take your top center prospect and play him 10-12 mins most nights on your worst line. I dont see why you would want our top center prospect to come in and play 10-12 mins on average, with stajan and brouwer, as well as maybe the pk. If he earns a spot on this team, I would not be surprised if hes in the top 9 on the wing.

15 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I would differ somewhat in opinion. I would rather not bring up Jankowski to play 4th line minutes or sit in the stands as the extra centre. Thus see no reason to get rid of Stajan unless he can bring in a decent return in trade.

I guess the difference is I don't see a 4th line Stajan as a threat to Janks  from that perspective. I see Backs and Bennett the competition to Janks at least from a centre position.

Stajan blocks a position they can use to bring Jankowski into the mix. On a building team I view this no different than bringing on defensive hopeful onto the 3rd pairing. In future season Jankowski may challenge for a higher line C position as he gains the required experience.

10 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

A low of 8 and a high of 15 are pretty different. Its not just if hes getting 15 mins a night, its who hes playing with. I dont think you take your top center prospect and play him 10-12 mins most nights on your worst line. I dont see why you would want our top center prospect to come in and play 10-12 mins on average, with stajan and brouwer, as well as maybe the pk. If he earns a spot on this team, I would not be surprised if hes in the top 9 on the wing.

He's lower on the depth chart than Mony, Backs and Bennett.  Where do you propose playing him over the next few years?

He comes advertised as a two-way center, not a dynamic scoring player.  Bennett's line is going to get sheltered the most, while Monahan's line gets the primo zone starts.

You need the 4th line to be more than a bunch of grinders.  They have to be able to play against some of the better lines, especially on the road.

The top 9 wings are pretty established NHL players or rising stars.  Janko is not going to beat out those guys.  If he or Bennett are ever in the thought to make Bcklund redundant, then he has to start somewhere.  Being a leader in Stockton will not give the Flames opportunity to evaluate him at the NHL level.  Agostino is an AHL star, but has not shown anything at the NHL level.  Gotta work them in somehow.

The "Detroit" model seems to have Detroit re-evaluating it.  Some players needs to play sooner than later.  Waiting until they can play top 6 may be wasting opportunity.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

He's lower on the depth chart than Mony, Backs and Bennett.  Where do you propose playing him over the next few years?

He comes advertised as a two-way center, not a dynamic scoring player.  Bennett's line is going to get sheltered the most, while Monahan's line gets the primo zone starts.

You need the 4th line to be more than a bunch of grinders.  They have to be able to play against some of the better lines, especially on the road.

The top 9 wings are pretty established NHL players or rising stars.  Janko is not going to beat out those guys.  If he or Bennett are ever in the thought to make Bcklund redundant, then he has to start somewhere.  Being a leader in Stockton will not give the Flames opportunity to evaluate him at the NHL level.  Agostino is an AHL star, but has not shown anything at the NHL level.  Gotta work them in somehow.

The "Detroit" model seems to have Detroit re-evaluating it.  Some players needs to play sooner than later.  Waiting until they can play top 6 may be wasting opportunity.

Ive already said play him on the wing, with giving him some time to take draws etc. If he earns the spot in the top 9, play him on the wing for a year, with some responsibilities of a center, with backlund and frolik there to help him along. If he doesnt earn that spot in the top 9, then sure play him on the 4th line but your logic of they are established NHL players or rising stars makes no sense, we shouldnt be gifting him a spot on the 4th line. He should have no problem beating stajan out for a spot at center, but Id rather see him earn a spot in the top 9 and playing on the wing for a year gives the flames plenty of time to evaluate him at the NHL level. 

This whole idea that hes a center, and he should play 4th line center minutes because of it doesnt make sense to me. The sharks are a prime example of a team switching centers to the wing, because they have too many centers. Im not saying you switch janko long term, but if he earns a spot start him on backlunds line and let find his way. Also you dont need to wait till a player can play top 6, but you certainly dont need to bring them into the league just to play 4th line minutes when they could be developing in a bigger role down in the AAA.

You have your opinions and I have mine.  Just because one team does something does not make it right elsewhere.  Nice to have extra centers playing on the wing, if you also don;t have depth there.  We have more than enough capable LW players.  Play the best centers you have.  If Janko is better than Stajan, then it makes sense to play him there.  

I don't think playing the Stajan role for a season would be detrimental to Janko's development. Sure playing 5-6 mins a night and bouncing between the ice and the press box you don't want, but playing 8-12 mins a night of 5 on 5 with some PK and  D zone draws throw in there would help, not hinder. I think you develop more by doing that against NHL competition than you do by playing 18-20 mins a night playing against AHL competition. I'ts hard to adjust from the AHL to the NHL so any experience you can get there is helpfull.

That being said the Flames would have to move Stajan and I don't think that is going to happen. I don't mind if Janko comes up and plays wing if there is an injury but I don't think he should make the team as a winger. 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't think playing the Stajan role for a season would be detrimental to Janko's development. Sure playing 5-6 mins a night and bouncing between the ice and the press box you don't want, but playing 8-12 mins a night of 5 on 5 with some PK and  D zone draws throw in there would help, not hinder. I think you develop more by doing that against NHL competition than you do by playing 18-20 mins a night playing against AHL competition. I'ts hard to adjust from the AHL to the NHL so any experience you can get there is helpfull.

That being said the Flames would have to move Stajan and I don't think that is going to happen. I don't mind if Janko comes up and plays wing if there is an injury but I don't think he should make the team as a winger. 

Yeah I have no problem playing Jankowski on the 4th line, especially because our 4th line should be able to play 10+mins a night and have some skill on that line.

I think moving Stajan to LW for this season to ride shotgun with Jankowski would be a pretty good way to roll, as Stajan can be a pretty good mentor for Stajan and should somewhat shelter him while he learns the ropes.

I hear Jank can play wing as well if that is the case why not put with Backs line fast skilled line. Seems everyone would like to see MrT on line with Bennett me as well even just for a experiment most or young kids are interchangeable correct?

I'm bias as I like Loubo alot. Great passion for the game and I do think he knows his stuff.

but just have to remember he works for the radio home of the Calgary Flames so while I do think he knows his stuff I do think he tends to take the more positive side of the equation when it comes to the evaluation. Not a negative just not the objective opinion (and he usually admits that which I appreciate)

So does blow a little smoke but has a good grasp of the players and what they should be doing. Does anyone know what has happened to Klimchuck seems to have fallen off the Flames map not being mentioned or in the july camp?

I didn't want to start a separate thread but we have a serious shortage of C's for Stockton unless some prospect from lower are coming up. We have been using players like Pribyl, Mangiapane and Lomberg at C normally wingers. Any thoughts here ?

20 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I didn't want to start a separate thread but we have a serious shortage of C's for Stockton unless some prospect from lower are coming up. We have been using players like Pribyl, Mangiapane and Lomberg at C normally wingers. Any thoughts here ?

Pribyl was a center/winger in the czech league, and mangiapane was playing the wing. Are you talking about development camp usage?

27 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Pribyl was a center/winger in the czech league, and mangiapane was playing the wing. Are you talking about development camp usage?

They have them labelled in the prospect section as such. I knew they had Pribyl working from C at times but thought that was mostly for faceoff practice. Who would be candidates from our ECHL team ?

Just had a look, M Aagaard C is about the only one I have heard anything good about.

25 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

They have them labelled in the prospect section as such. I knew they had Pribyl working from C at times but thought that was mostly for faceoff practice. Who would be candidates from our ECHL team ?

Just had a look, M Aagaard C is about the only one I have heard anything good about.

I know brett pollock could be another one. I know he didnt have a great year stats wise in the ECHL, but he could be another candidate to make the AHL team this season.

3 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I know brett pollock could be another one. I know he didnt have a great year stats wise in the ECHL, but he could be another candidate to make the AHL team this season.

I like Pollock's make up but he is more LW no ?

On 2017-07-06 at 3:59 PM, zima said:

Does anyone know what has happened to Klimchuck seems to have fallen off the Flames map not being mentioned or in the july camp?

Klimchuk had a decent productive year in Stockton.

66gp 19g 24a 43p

He has one more year of ELC which looks like it will be spent in Stockton. A good showing next year could warrant a callup.

Archived