Can anyone step up for the 17/18 season?

Going off some of what BT said in his last radio interview I would say Jankowski is in his thinking for sure. Sounded like both Gilles and Rittich remain in AHL as not quite ready. All the rest depends on how BT addresses certain openings that exist from players leaving or not being resigned. I wonder if we see someone like Lomberg makes the team for some spark every now and then.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because Porier came up I thought I would put this here.

Treliving confirmed at a lunch yesterday that Porier left the team for treatment and help with substance abuse. Nothing further was said, just that he has the organization's full support and that Treliving feels he is clean and ready to come back strong. Treliving mentioned he feels he is in a much better place and he will workout in Calgary this summer. 

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Treliving confirmed at a lunch yesterday that Porier left the team for treatment and help with substance abuse. Nothing further was said, just that he has the organization's full support and that Treliving feels he is clean and ready to come back strong. Treliving mentioned he feels he is in a much better place and he will workout in Calgary this summer. 

Good to know.  I hope they can give him the same level of support that they gave Ferland, and hope he can overcome the demons.

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Good to hear that he is getting the help he needs and hopefully he get his once promising career back on track, or at least find that love and passion for the game regardless if he makes it to the NHL.

22 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Thats good news in a sense, if he can get back to the levels of his rookie year in the AAA, we could have some interesting competition with dube, poirier, jankowski, etc come camp.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, redfire11 said:

I would like to see Kulak and Morrison brought up this season as a 3rd defensive pair.

I would say that Morrison had one of the worst seasons among the Heat defenders.  I would rank him below Spoon at this point.

Good chance Andersson will get a long look this fall.  Kulak could or should as well.  

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I would say that Morrison had one of the worst seasons among the Heat defenders.  I would rank him below Spoon at this point.

Good chance Andersson will get a long look this fall.  Kulak could or should as well.  

That would be my sense as well, kulak, Andersson and janko getting the longest looks in camp, also probably the best shots to make the big club.

On June 14, 2017 at 10:00 AM, JTech780 said:

Good to hear that he is getting the help he needs and hopefully he get his once promising career back on track, or at least find that love and passion for the game regardless if he makes it to the NHL.

It sure seemed like something was wrong there. I hope that the Flames have an effective addictions program. Chicago has been impressive when it comes to drug/alcohol dependence. 

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Correct not sure why I was thinking morrison over andersson Brain Fart I guess. Upon reflection I would leave andersson in stockton for at least another year and possibly try Kostka on a 1 year tryout. Kulak and Kostka

57 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Correct not sure why I was thinking morrison over andersson Brain Fart I guess. Upon reflection I would leave andersson in stockton for at least another year and possibly try Kostka on a 1 year tryout. Kulak and Kostka

I doubt Kostka will even be around and Kulak is no automatic as we have a number of LHSD ready to challenge up. If Kulak has any offensive upside he may be better off in the AHL advancing that aspect. Wotherspoon and Andersson were partners in Stockton and mixing in Bartkowski could be the way to go for the NHL team 3rd pairing and spare.

• 2 weeks later...

Kulak should make the team opening night. Foo, Anderson, and Jankowski have good chances of making the team if there is an injury. All three are really close (or might be in Foo's case). Jankowski might even make the healthy roster if he has a good camp. 

Poirier, Shinkaruk,  and Klimchuk will get a sniff if they earn it. Rittich and Gilles will battle for any injury call ups in net. Kylington and Pribyl are my two dark horses, but I expect more AHL seasoning. 

Outside of that you will get the usual one to three game calls ups at season end or if injury strikes and there isn't a clear prospect to call. 

5 hours ago, kehatch said:

Kulak should make the team opening night. Foo, Anderson, and Jankowski have good chances of making the team if there is an injury. All three are really close (or might be in Foo's case). Jankowski might even make the healthy roster if he has a good camp. 

Poirier, Shinkaruk,  and Klimchuk will get a sniff if they earn it. Rittich and Gilles will battle for any injury call ups in net. Kylington and Pribyl are my two dark horses, but I expect more AHL seasoning. 

Outside of that you will get the usual one to three game calls ups at season end or if injury strikes and there isn't a clear prospect to call. 

Foo, Andersson, Janko and Klimchuk (not 100% sure) are not subject to waivers.  Kula, Shink and Poirier are, IIRC.  

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Foo, Andersson, Janko and Klimchuk (not 100% sure) are not subject to waivers.  Kula, Shink and Poirier are, IIRC.  

Any team that claims them has to keep them up. I don't see that happening with Klimchuk or Poirier. Someone might take a flyer on Shinkaruk, but if Treliving is concerned he can run as the 13 forward (or just let him go). 

Waivers really don't concern me too much this season. 

8 hours ago, kehatch said:

If they don't get rid of Stajan it won't matter what kind of camp Jankowski has because they will start the season with Stajan as 4th line C. Maybe a line of Mangiapane LW, Jankowski C and Foo RW in Stockton becomes a first line of back ups for the NHL team. I get the feeling from BT's comment about prospects "over-ripening" not being a bad thing has our gap of ready to replace being a focus.

4 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

If they don't get rid of Stajan it won't matter what kind of camp Jankowski has because they will start the season with Stajan as 4th line C. Maybe a line of Mangiapane LW, Jankowski C and Foo RW in Stockton becomes a first line of back ups for the NHL team. I get the feeling from BT's comment about prospects "over-ripening" not being a bad thing has our gap of ready to replace being a focus.

They might start him in wing. Plus injuries happen. 

36 minutes ago, kehatch said:

They might start him in wing. Plus injuries happen. 

The best position of success would be C for Jankowski and I see no reason to change this path of development. We now have players for injuries that can fill in position for position between AHL and the NHL team. This could be what management is trying to achieve for this upcoming season.

1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I think he meant stajan on the wing. If janko comes into camp ready to go, and deserves a spot that seems more likely.

Not sure, but it sure looked like he meant start Janko on wing.  Hense why both MAC and I reacted that way.

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Not sure, but it sure looked like he meant start Janko on wing.  Hense why both MAC and I reacted that way.

If he did I dont really see the harm, especially if they want him in a top 9 role. Theres really no harm with having him play on backlunds wing for a year, and taking a draws here and there. I dont get this idea that its going to ruin his development to play a year on the wing. If he comes in ready and they want him playing top 9 minutes play him with backlund on the wing, which allows chucky and versteeg to play with bennett, that would be a solid top 9.

Id like to see that if hes ready, over him playing 4th line minutes with stajan and hathaway for example.

39 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

If he did I dont really see the harm, especially if they want him in a top 9 role. Theres really no harm with having him play on backlunds wing for a year, and taking a draws here and there. I dont get this idea that its going to ruin his development to play a year on the wing. If he comes in ready and they want him playing top 9 minutes play him with backlund on the wing, which allows chucky and versteeg to play with bennett, that would be a solid top 9.

Id like to see that if hes ready, over him playing 4th line minutes with stajan and hathaway for example.

You play the minutes you earn.  No reason to think the 4th line can't play 12+ minutes a night if they are doing well.  

Janko is good on the dot, so I would prefer to have him develop there.  No point in playing in Stockton if you are NHL ready.

Janko is also a good 2-way player, so I think that is better to have at center.  

Perhaps Bennett would have had a better year if they hadn't insisted playing him with Granlund.  Then on Backlund's wing.

If Janko can't play center, then move him.

Just now, travel_dude said:

You play the minutes you earn.  No reason to think the 4th line can't play 12+ minutes a night if they are doing well.  

Janko is good on the dot, so I would prefer to have him develop there.  No point in playing in Stockton if you are NHL ready.

Janko is also a good 2-way player, so I think that is better to have at center.  

Perhaps Bennett would have had a better year if they hadn't insisted playing him with Granlund.  Then on Backlund's wing.

If Janko can't play center, then move him.

I agree you play the minutes you earn, but the rest of the 4th line has to be ready for those minutes not just janko. I really doubt he would get pk or pp time, so give him quality minutes with backlund if hes ready and call it a day. Theres no harm in switching a center to the wing for a year, and letting him take some draws etc.

Archived