Can anyone step up for the 17/18 season?

Let's start a roster. Addition 7/10/2017

Poirier, Hamilton, Foo

Shinkaruk, Mangiapane, Pribyl

Klimchuk, Aagaard, Carroll

Hrivik, Pollock, H Smith

Lomberg

Defense

Bartkowski, Andersson

Valimaki, Kylington

Healey, Ollias-Mattsson

Gilles, Rittich

They will bring in a few veteran types so hopefully they get some of the RHS/LHS better positioned on both forwards and defense.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

They will bring in a few veteran types so hopefully they get some of the RHS/LHS better positioned on both forwards and defense.

From the looks of it, I think besides pribyl we are lacking at center in a big way in the AHL, but not at all levels. If I was the flames id be signing a couple veteran centers for the farm club to play with our skilled wingers.

10 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

From the looks of it, I think besides pribyl we are lacking at center in a big way in the AHL, but not at all levels. If I was the flames id be signing a couple veteran centers for the farm club to play with our skilled wingers.

A few decisions could change this forward group a lot such as Jankowski and Foo dropping down. The other situation on defense will be between Bartkowski, Kulak and Wotherspoon, one of which will drop down.

On 7/6/2017 at 2:06 PM, zima said:

Can any one tell me if guy Loubardias really knows what he is talking about he says alot about our kids and it is very encouraging but also not sure how much is on point or just blowing smoke?

This post got me to lol.

He does know what he's talking about, he's like an encyclopedia on young players, that part is extremely impressive.

He'll tell you how some low-level midget player got an infection from a cut on his knee in a public swimming pool when he was 7.

Okay, maybe not that far, but not far off, lol.

He is the messiah of positivity towards young players, let's just say that his heart is in the right place. He won't be negative on young players, so long as you understand that, he is a wealth of knowledge.

He's a regular visitor to NHL radio, and treated with respect. Rightfully so, he could do the fan 960 24/7 for a month and not run out of content.

I recall listening to the fan and Francis ranting about people having can't remember what (a type of xmas light I think) in their houses and no friends of his would.

Loubardias calmly retorted, "well I do, so I guess you and I aren't friends".

Just shut Francis' pretentious arrogant idiocy right down, for that alone Peter's golden with me.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

This post got me to lol.

He does know what he's talking about, he's like an encyclopedia on young players, that part is extremely impressive.

He'll tell you how some low-level midget player got an infection from a cut on his knee in a public swimming pool when he was 7.

Okay, maybe not that far, but not far off, lol.

It's true! He's some kind of knowledgable! I like him a lot. 

Love. 

7 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

It's true! He's some kind of knowledgable! I like him a lot. 

Love. 

He's lovable for sure. You're just never certain if he'll pull out the, "you know his mom was telling me he's shy around the fairer sex".

That's Lombo. He makes it personal in a, "I actually do care," kinda way.

It's refreshing.

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

He's lovable for sure. You're just never certain if he'll pull out the, "you know his mom was telling me he's shy around the fairer sex".

That's Lombo. He makes it personal in a, "I actually do care," kinda way.

It's refreshing.

Ask him what he knows about Dominic Toninato C from U of MINN soon to be UFA as Leafs can't sign him.

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎07 at 7:54 PM, MAC331 said:

Mangiapane, Jankowski, Foo

Shinkaruk, Pribyl, Poirier

Hrivik , Pollock, H Smith

Lomberg

Defense

Wotherspoon, Andersson

Kylington, Valimaki

Healey, Ollias-Mattsson

Gilles, Rittich

Stockton Line Up with Jankowski and Foo.

On 7/7/2017 at 8:31 PM, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I'm pretty sure Pribyl is a RW?

Freddie Hamilton likely won't start the season with the Flames so he can Center at Stockton.  Aagard, Angelidis.  Dube and Phillips are still too young.

But ya, lacking at Center.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm pretty sure Pribyl is a RW?

Freddie Hamilton likely won't start the season with the Flames so he can Center at Stockton.  Aagard, Angelidis.  Dube and Phillips are still too young.

But ya, lacking at Center.

Yeah the flames are using him at RW, but if I remember correctly he was playing center in the czech league and the flames wanted to convert him to winger for a bigger need. Im assuming we will see pollock, pribyl and maybe aagard down the middle in stockton next year. Janko might make the big club so that would throw a wrench in things, but I think the flames will need to sign a veteran center to be in the minor leagues. I see it like linden vey last year, otherwise our higher end wingers are going to be in tough and it wont be good for development.

6 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Yeah the flames are using him at RW, but if I remember correctly he was playing center in the czech league and the flames wanted to convert him to winger for a bigger need. Im assuming we will see pollock, pribyl and maybe aagard down the middle in stockton next year. Janko might make the big club so that would throw a wrench in things, but I think the flames will need to sign a veteran center to be in the minor leagues. I see it like linden vey last year, otherwise our higher end wingers are going to be in tough and it wont be good for development.

Maybe that veteran Center will be Matt Stajan...

3 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Id rather see stajan on the wing but I think the flames would get 1.025 million in savings if they were to do that as per.

http://www.colliganhockey.com/nhl-cba-how-do-buried-contracts-work/

he would still cost 2.1 million in the minors

He would be a great mentor though.

I'd rather see a young kid emerge on LW at camp and push out a vet.

I don't think the Flames would want to pay Stajan $2.1M to play in Stockton this season.

They will already be paying Raymond, Bouma, & Murphy a combined $1.816667M  to NOT play for the Flames in 20172018.

If either Lazar or Jankowski are ready to play C on Calgary's 4th line, I suspect that Stajan plays LW on one of the bottom two lines.

Heck, he could probably even play with Backlund/Frolik if necessary.

21 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

They used Pribyl at C this past season some likely out of need but could have been so he worked on face offs. I would prefer they put both him and Pollock back to their wing positions. I mentioned above that snatching Toninato from TOR as another college UFA would be a smart move by BT for us. He is a C with some potential.

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎07 at 7:54 PM, MAC331 said:

Mangiapane, Jankowski, Foo

Shinkaruk, Toninato, Pribyl

Pollock , Hrivik, H Smith

Lomberg

Defense

Wotherspoon, Andersson

Valimaki, Kylington

Healey, Ollias-Mattsson

Gilles, Rittich

CHANGES 7/13/2017 Just some change of thought on some possible moves. Poirier makes the main team. Toninato is brought in as college UFA C. switch Kylington to the RSD. Someone also mentioned that Hamilton could end up in Stockton depending on who the spare forwards end up being.

I think if the Flames didn't want Stajan in the NHL they would have bought him out. Because of his lower salary the buyout was cheap and his cap hit would have been 1.7 instead of the 2.1 for burying him. 

Stajan will be on the Flames, no doubt in my mind. I think Stajan is just fine as a 4th line center when you strip away the $. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think if the Flames didn't want Stajan in the NHL they would have bought him out. Because of his lower salary the buyout was cheap and his cap hit would have been 1.7 instead of the 2.1 for burying him. 

Stajan will be on the Flames, no doubt in my mind. I think Stajan is just fine as a 4th line center when you strip away the $. 

It's true today. But it may not be true in October if a player like Lazar or Jankowski beats him out of a spot. 

The Flames have shown they are willing to sit a veteran in favor of a kid that has earned the spot. 

4 hours ago, kehatch said:

It's true today. But it may not be true in October if a player like Lazar or Jankowski beats him out of a spot. 

The Flames have shown they are willing to sit a veteran in favor of a kid that has earned the spot. 

Stajan is a versatile vet.  No reason why they wouldn't switch him to LW over demoting him.

I could easily see a 4th line of Stajan-Janko-Lazar/Brouwer.  Wouldn't have to light it up on offense so much.  My preference would be to keep Brouwer away from Bennett, so whatever line he can not make terrible, he should go to.

Remains to be seen if any prospect LW can beat him out, but it makes sense to bring up a guy like Shinkaruk to sub in (unless he can replace Stajan entirely).  I think we know what Freddie brings, so he could probably go to Stockton without a lot of impact.  

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Stajan is a versatile vet.  No reason why they wouldn't switch him to LW over demoting him.

I could easily see a 4th line of Stajan-Janko-Lazar/Brouwer.  Wouldn't have to light it up on offense so much.  My preference would be to keep Brouwer away from Bennett, so whatever line he can not make terrible, he should go to.

Remains to be seen if any prospect LW can beat him out, but it makes sense to bring up a guy like Shinkaruk to sub in (unless he can replace Stajan entirely).  I think we know what Freddie brings, so he could probably go to Stockton without a lot of impact.  

It's possible, but both Gulutzan and Hartley were reluctant to move him to wing. Must be a reason. 

The Flames have demoted vets so it won't shock me to see them do that to Stajan. Cross is right, if that is the plan today a buyout makes more sense. 

My point is the Flames aren't making the plan today. That is a camp or early season decision. It will depend on how the Flames and players are doing. 

16 hours ago, kehatch said:

It's possible, but both Gulutzan and Hartley were reluctant to move him to wing. Must be a reason. 

The Flames have demoted vets so it won't shock me to see them do that to Stajan. Cross is right, if that is the plan today a buyout makes more sense. 

My point is the Flames aren't making the plan today. That is a camp or early season decision. It will depend on how the Flames and players are doing. 

When all is said and done Stajan will be our 4th line C. Jankowski will be in Stockton. I think the figuring out will be who plays LW with Backlund and Frolik, who plays RW with Tkachuk and Bennett. Any number of LW and RW combinations could end up with Stajan.

I can easily see Stajan losing the 4th line center job, I just can't see him in the AHL. I think they'd leave him as the 13th forward before the stuck him in the AHL and that's why I say that I think is that were even remotely a possibility they would have bought him out. 

He'll have to earn his job, but I don't think he'll have to earn a roster spot. 

41 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I can easily see Stajan losing the 4th line center job, I just can't see him in the AHL. I think they'd leave him as the 13th forward before the stuck him in the AHL and that's why I say that I think is that were even remotely a possibility they would have bought him out. 

He'll have to earn his job, but I don't think he'll have to earn a roster spot. 

I tend to agree.  If anything, they swing a deal with a team needing a 3rd line center.  Hello Pittsburg???

He's worth more as a fill in to a player that would use up any cap savings.  

An example would be sending Stajan down and bringing up Klimchuk.  No real cap savings; around $90k IIRC.  Klimchuk is not going to do better than Stajan on the 4th lin LW.  

Archived