Can anyone step up for the 17/18 season?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is one player forsure will not be in the A next yr at least for the foirst 9 games and that Janks he will be in the Bigs next yr he was just to good not to be given the pat on the back he deserves. Did everything asked of him and excelled in every aspect of the game played a total 200 foot game. If Bennett doesn't get his sh87t together and do what he did in the playoffs then I foresee Janks passing him in the second line next yr. Rittich will I think be coming in for the backup or even # 1 if he can bring his game up just a little more. Also what do you ppl think of  FLORIAN HARDY he is not owned by any NHL team that Im aware of and he is a monster I also know what someone does in the IIHF doesn't mean he can translate it to NHL but why not give him a try? I guess what bums me out the most is how Drisitil is killing it with the Oilers and bennett really hasn't done much Im hoping this changes next yr he has shown some progress and I hope it keeps coming>. When we got Bennett and he was killing it against Van and Dri was in the A's I thought we got the best but it has turned out to be the other way around just bums me out > 

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I don't have much in terms of viewing, pretty much camp only.

Is he a tenacious player, fighting for pucks, through checks etc?

And will he be able to against men?

Is he pass 1st or shoot 1st?

I see he missed 1/3 of this year, injury?

Dube? 

He fractured a knee early in the season and missed some time. A negative against him is injuries, but most of them seem to be bad luck. Eye last year, and then fractured knee this year so tough to criticize his injury history. 

Very tenascious. Think Gallagher. First in on the forecheck, hard along guys on the boards, fight through people to get to pucks. Not an open ice hitter, he's more just hard on the boards and the forecheck. Won't back down. I think he can play that style against men because he can also go around you too so he doesn't have to only rely on that style. Needs another 10-15 lbs imo. 

Hes a pass first guy. Strength is his board play and then distributing pucks off the cycle. I actuakky think the next step he needs to take is is on god that style to drive the net and not just taking the pass. Real good on the PP

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Dube? 

He fractured a knee early in the season and missed some time. A negative against him is injuries, but most of them seem to be bad luck. Eye last year, and then fractured knee this year so tough to criticize his injury history. 

Very tenascious. Think Gallagher. First in on the forecheck, hard along guys on the boards, fight through people to get to pucks. Not an open ice hitter, he's more just hard on the boards and the forecheck. Won't back down. I think he can play that style against men because he can also go around you too so he doesn't have to only rely on that style. Needs another 10-15 lbs imo. 

Hes a pass first guy. Strength is his board play and then distributing pucks off the cycle. I actuakky think the next step he needs to take is is on god that style to drive the net and not just taking the pass. Real good on the PP

Yes Dube.:lol:

Aimed at Rockets fans.;)

Ummm, that's really exciting. I rant on Konecny, same peripherals?

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Yes Dube.:lol:

Aimed at Rockets fans.;)

Ummm, that's really exciting. I rant on Konecny, same peripherals?

I would say Dube is a step below. Similar playmaking ability on the cycle but Konecy is better with the puck on his stick 

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

So you'd expect a 3C/LW at maturity? 2-3 years?

Honest question, not being an checking from behind.

Yup that's fair I think. If he improves where he needs to maybe a top 6 like Brendan Gallagher but that's probably your high water mark. He reminds me a lot of versteeg actually. 

Since we've gone off topic, I just want to throw in Adam Fox.

I think he has an incredible amount of promise, every bit as much and more than Dillon Dube and other prospects we've got.

So...how does this work...will he be in training camp?

9 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I think he has an incredible amount of promise, every bit as much and more than Dillon Dube and other prospects we've got.

He cant be in training camp, unless he quits college. The only part college players can attend is the summer development camp, other then that they have to report back to their teams. I really doubt we see fox go pro after one season, but weirder things have happened.

3 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

He cant be in training camp, unless he quits college. The only part college players can attend is the summer development camp, other then that they have to report back to their teams. I really doubt we see fox go pro after one season, but weirder things have happened.

I don't think so either....unless's like...you know.....not great at school, lol.

But I would like to see him play, at least with the other prospects.  I'll be looking forward to that

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I don't think so either....unless's like...you know.....not great at school, lol.

But I would like to see him play, at least with the other prospects.  I'll be looking forward to that

The college guys are pretty limited in what they can do.  They can pay their own way to Young Stars.  They can't receive any financial help.

Since he's going to Harvard, I doubt he would be able to make main camp.  For one thing, the season starts in college.  For another, his class work would/might suffer.  He could lose eligibility if that happened.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Pretty much the topic.

Early camp, no pay.

In 2 yrs, we're a different team.

I believe help is on it's way on the backend, the front end, notsomuch.

Mangiapane is the truth next year...if Janko doesn't graduate full time I like to think Dube, Parsons have the best opportunity to step up as newcomers. It's contract years for everyone else, Shink,Poirier, Kilmchuk,Janko I think Pribyl too so some of these guys might elevate their game next season. The unknown is Matthew Phillips..if he can translate his game being a smaller player...he and Mangiapane could be a nice playmaking combo for Stockton. And just maybe you see a guy like Lomberg take some strides...I'm not expecting much from Carroll, Smith but maybe they finally show signs of life

On 5/11/2017 at 6:18 PM, travel_dude said:

I am higher on Mangiapane than most.  Not sure where he would fit in the lineup, but  think he could be a goal scorer.  I worry about the development of some of our players in Stockton, so maybe it would be best to bring up the best winger on the Heat this year.  I think both Mang and Klim both have enough defensive smarts that if they were good enough for the NHL, they should play there.   

I wish that AOM had come over sooner.  Too many darn D prospects down in Stockton.  I would like to see a bit more of him to compare him to the career AHL guys and the guys like Kulak and Spoon.  We keep bringing in guys and they stay there.  

We've added a few D guys there, 

Who will be leaving, if any? Morrison might be one?

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Culkin, Morrison, Spoon, Kostca, Kanzig.  I would say two out of that bunch at minimum will be done.

I could see it being 3. How much has Danzig improved? 

Morrison and Culkin are probably two that are out. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Kanzig has made some improvement, not as much as you'd hope, but with him being under contract for next year he will be back for sure. 

I suppose they can can trade him for a forward? We could just do an AHL deal as well, where only his playing rights go to another AHL team, but that doesn't happen often and you're basically saying you're giving up on his development.

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I suppose they can can trade him for a forward? We could just do an AHL deal as well, where only his playing rights go to another AHL team, but that doesn't happen often and you're basically saying you're giving up on his development.

Potentially, although Burke and Treliving both come from the "can never have enough dmen camp" so I'd be surprised myself. Also given the roster turnover, schedules and injuries, it's not uncommon an AHL team to need upwards of 8-10 dmen in a season so I don't think the depth there is that big an issue. 

I think its pretty likely too that Wotherspoon may be done as a Flame. 

On May 14, 2017 at 10:20 AM, travel_dude said:

Just to clarify, the topic is about stepping up to the NHL.  

Lol just covering all bases I guess! In that case, Janko, Kulak, Andersson, Gillies, Hathaway and Hamilton to a lesser degree are all good bets. I think Parsons could have a strong showing for himself and put some real Heat on Gillies to perform. My hope is John Gillies is to us what John Gibson is to the Ducks..it would be great for the Flames to draft and develop a bonafide starting goalie, internally! It's tough with developing goalies but Gibson looks like he has the tools, same as Parsons. I'd like to add Kilimchuk to the convo but he's still very much a bubble player to me ,he's shown improvement but Ill need to see more of him, still feel like he might prove to be one of the better ones from the 2013 stable of 1st rounders the Flames have. It would have been great to include Prybil as well but he may need more time in Stockton.

12 hours ago, rickross said:

I think Parsons could have a strong showing for himself and put some real Heat on Gillies to perform. My hope is John Gillies is to us what John Gibson is to the Ducks..it would be great for the Flames to draft and develop a bonafide starting goalie, internally! It's tough with developing goalies but Gibson looks like he has the tools, same as Parsons.

This is a huge area of discussion and I really do hope to see:

1.  Parsons putting pressure on Gillies

2.  Gillies making a case for NHL time

3.  If all else fails, Riitich making a case for NHL time (but I don't see it happining)

Can Gillies be Gibson?   Only if we heavily factor in his injury into his last 3 years of performance, and he "catches up" this season.  Which is possible.

Can Parsons put pressure on Gillies in training camp?  Oh yeah.

We need to start developing our own successfully.  I keep waiting and hoping.   A lot of alternatives to developing our own have been suggested, and talked about extensively here, and the reality is that most of these options suck pretty bad (ie., let's go pick up Pittsburg's goalies, cause it'll only cost us...like, Sam Bennett and a boatload of salary).

22 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

3.  If all else fails, Riitich making a case for NHL time (but I don't see it happining)

Can Gillies be Gibson?   Only if we heavily factor in his injury into his last 3 years of performance, and he "catches up" this season.  Which is possible.

We need to start developing our own successfully.  I keep waiting and hoping.   A lot of alternatives to developing our own have been suggested, and talked about extensively here, and the reality is that most of these options suck pretty bad (ie., let's go pick up Pittsburg's goalies, cause it'll only cost us...like, Sam Bennett and a boatload of salary).

If I thought Rittich was 100% ready, I would suggest him as NHL backup next season, asuming we also have a capable starter.  I prefer to take it slow with Gillies.  Start off by bringing in a goalie coach for the AHL (development one) and a NHL coach (improvement).  

I have to think that Gillies is at least two years from being a confident NHL goalie.  If he can get to the top of the AHL, we will know we have something.  Rittich is basically there.  Need to see how he can handle main camp.

The problem I see is that Gillies, Parsons, Rittich, Schneider, McDonald and McCollum all have contracts.

Only Rittich and McCollum are really NHL ready (or close).  McCollum had to be loaned to another team just to be able to play.

7 hours ago, jjgallow said:

We were lucky to acquire a legendary keeper like Kipper all those years back...developing an NHL goalie has proven evasive as ever for the Flames. Irving, Mcelhinney, Ortio, Lalande...the list goes on and none of them ever panned out. I do think Parsons is the future for the Flames, I like Gillies but Parson's compete level is so intense he can will himself to win games. I think Rittich has a solid game too, not sure if he's NHL backup ready but I'd love for all these guys to show up and surprise us during camp. We'll know as soon as the Draft comes by if BT is willing to chase someone on the market or just stick with his guns and let the prospects battle it out.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Start off by bringing in a goalie coach for the AHL (development one) and a NHL (goalie) coach (improvement).  

Common ground there.  That's the first thing they need to do.   Or, why bother doing anything else

Archived