Can anyone step up for the 17/18 season?

Can we get an injection of youthful enthusiasm for the 17/18 season?

I believe Jankowski is pretty much a given, but I'd hope at 3C, not 4. Personal opinion.

What I'm hoping is we can get a good offseason rise out of Lomberg and Hathaway to wing the 4th line.

No to Stajan and Bouma, it's time for some change. Get a hard playing C to front the 2 aforementioned, Fiddler's getting long in the tooth, but someone like that.

I believe we need that on the 4th, energy, energy, energy.

I hope we can, but it's just that, hope.

Andersson I believe is ready to 3rd pair with a hard-working summer too. He took the heat for coming to camp out of shape last year, hopefully he learned a huge lesson.

We really need this...we need some form of progression from the farm, we can't go to market constantly for upgrades.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda reminded me of England and Domi or was it Bolig I know it was 1 of the big boys. So do you think that Stone will not sign here or will get an offer? I would love to see Poirier pick it up next yr I had high hopes for him I believe he has 1 more yr on his pro contract. Hope they don't buy him out also I hope BT is able to do some magic and trade a couple picks for a quality Forward RHS preference since every one says nothing in the Draft pool why not? I think Rittich will be up and Gillies will play half or all the season in the a aslso think Parsons will turn Pro.

I think Poirier might be a dud. Worst sh% of I think all forwards, can't stay on the + side, left the team for unknown reasons.

Typical Q guy, no offense. Not a fan of Q guys outside of the absolute elite. I think they're too soft and the league is so O-based that most Q forwards are risky.

Stone is kind of in the driver's seat. We have to get our D $s in order, losing Wideman/Engelland helps, but Stone might fetch a better contract elsewhere, it all depends on what HE wants. We easily have a place for him, but our $s are on the conservative side, methinks. What we lack there we can offer in stability, so it's more what he wants than what we want.

Hopefully he wants stability and likes it here, time will tell.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I think Poirier might be a dud. Worst sh% of I think all forwards, can't stay on the + side, left the team for unknown reasons.

Typical Q guy, no offense. Not a fan of Q guys outside of the absolute elite. I think they're too soft and the league is so O-based that most Q forwards are risky.

Stone is kind of in the driver's seat. We have to get our D $s in order, losing Wideman/Engelland helps, but Stone might fetch a better contract elsewhere, it all depends on what HE wants. We easily have a place for him, but our $s are on the conservative side, methinks. What we lack there we can offer in stability, so it's more what he wants than what we want.

Hopefully he wants stability and likes it here, time will tell.

Well, Poirier did have offense in the Q, but not that great on the defense side.  His first year in the AHL was reasonably successful, but he was tasked to work on his D game.

His personal issues have affected his game this year the worst, whether it's family or Ryan House type stuff, or even Ferland stuff.  Don't know.  If he's kept, then it's something the Flames support him on.

Getting back to your OP, the most annoying thing was seeing JH take a shift full of hacks and nobody introduced their gloves to the offender's face.  We have badgers like Bennett and Tkachuk, bit those are the kids.  Why didn't Gio or Stone or Wideman or Engelland take that player out.  You don't have to always drop the gloves, but they have done it for less reasons.  Ferland will step up if he gets the green light.  Whya re we having this conversation ourselves?  Shouldn't this be talked about in the room? 

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Sorry td, I meant, "no offense" to anyone.

Not, "he has never put up #s on offence".

Damn that word lol.

Yeah, I see that now.  

Oh well, the other parts of my post have more meaning then.

He was a reach at the time, and has never lived up to the draft position.  But, I will give him benefit of the doubt with the personal leave...for now.

21 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Well, Poirier did have offense in the Q, but not that great on the defense side.  His first year in the AHL was reasonably successful, but he was tasked to work on his D game.

His personal issues have affected his game this year the worst, whether it's family or Ryan House type stuff, or even Ferland stuff.  Don't know.  If he's kept, then it's something the Flames support him on.

Getting back to your OP, the most annoying thing was seeing JH take a shift full of hacks and nobody introduced their gloves to the offender's face.  We have badgers like Bennett and Tkachuk, bit those are the kids.  Why didn't Gio or Stone or Wideman or Engelland take that player out.  You don't have to always drop the gloves, but they have done it for less reasons.  Ferland will step up if he gets the green light.  Whya re we having this conversation ourselves?  Shouldn't this be talked about in the room? 

Yeah I don't mean to rain down on Poirier, just frustrated that we constantly look to the A and things rarely work out for us there, it seems.

I wonder if we try too hard to get top 6 guys to be D stalwarts and it takes forever (Backs).

You draft a guy for this, this and this, and turn around and try to change the whole reason you drafted him.

I'm a believer that threats on offence can help the D, backing off their D etc.

Poirier had a solid rookie campaign, now we call it "a step back", but I'd near bet my balls as bookends it's because we're trying to get him to play against what got him here in the 1st place.

But I'll tell you what, I really hope Lomberg has a monster summer, the vid above was Stortini laying out Andersson with a clean hit, but Lomberg does not care. That's my teammate, let's go right now. The kid can skate and has decent hands, stays on the right side of +/-, and is a fan fave.

I'm really cheering for him, because he's exactly what we lack on the 4th line. Fans love him, teammates love him.

He can really fire people up. He was one of my favourite guys to meet at camp. Total devil may care. Scored an OT winner vs Van in preseason, and I've rarely screamed louder.

Tre gave him a 2 yr 2 way. He was at a crossroads in his career and he decided it's all or nothing.

I really hope it's all, as it has been so far.

Most think he'll get a few looks, I hope that's all he needs.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Yeah I don't mean to rain down on Poirier, just frustrated that we constantly look to the A and things rarely work out for us there, it seems.

I wonder if we try too hard to get top 6 guys to be D stalwarts and it takes forever (Backs).

You draft a guy for this, this and this, and turn around and try to change the whole reason you drafted him.

Poirier had a solid rookie campaign, now we call it "a step back", but I'd near bet my balls as bookends it's because we're trying to get him to play against what got him here in the 1st place.

But I'll tell you what, I really hope Lomberg has a monster summer, the vid above was Stortini laying out Andersson with a clean hit, but Lomberg does not care. That's my teammate, let's go right now. The kid can skate and has decent hands, stays on the right side of +/-, and is a fan fave.

I'm really cheering for him, because he's exactly what we lack on the 4th line. Fans love him, teammates love him.

He can really fire people up. He was one of my favourite guys to meet at camp. Total devil may care. Scored an OT winner vs Van in preseason, and I've rarely screamed louder.

Tre gave him a 2 yr 2 way. He was at a crossroads in his career and he decided it's all or nothing.

I have to agree about the Heat and how they try sometimes to change a player.  It's nice for a player to have a 200 foot game, but we also need to develop offense.  Some may blame Huska for a lot of our players struggling there.  Don't know.  He was supposed to be mimicking the Flames model, but I don't see it myself.  Maybe Gillies' struggles in the AHL are related to the coaching staff?  He sure looked capable in his limited NHL viewing.

Lomberg is the kind of guy you cheer for.  Little ball of hate.  Mini-Tkachuk with speed.  

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I have to agree about the Heat and how they try sometimes to change a player.  It's nice for a player to have a 200 foot game, but we also need to develop offense.  Some may blame Huska for a lot of our players struggling there.  Don't know.  He was supposed to be mimicking the Flames model, but I don't see it myself.  Maybe Gillies' struggles in the AHL are related to the coaching staff?  He sure looked capable in his limited NHL viewing.

Lomberg is the kind of guy you cheer for.  Little ball of hate.  Mini-Tkachuk with speed.  

Fire is more accurate. ;)

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Fire is more accurate. ;)

I think that new contract to Lomberg has to be some kind of encouragement for him to push for making the main team. I wanted to challenge you on your thinking around Jankowski, why not have him C a line with Lomberg on LW and Hathaway on RW ? I see a good education there that might put some nastiness into one of our big Centers. Call it a year of learning at the NHL level. Until BT decide what direction they are taking with Backlund the 4th line is Jankowski's entry position and I think it needs to be next season.

14 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Many "stars" as Juniors never make the adjustment necessary to make the NHL. They have the talent in Junior to make the most of the talent level for whatever league they are in at the time. They are told how good they are from the time they are 6 years old but this all changes as time goes on. We have teenagers trying to make all kinds of adjustments mentally and physically, the ones that make it are the ones that become determined enough to do so.

I've written off Porier as a prospect personally. Not hearing many good things about his time down on the Heat the last 2 seasons.

The only player i'd add here that hasn't been mentioned yet is Klimchuk. Sounds like he took a step forward this year after a really good summer last year. Another good summer and he'll be knocking on the door and might just kick it down. That and the Flames could really use his speed. 

On 5/4/2017 at 3:59 PM, conundrumed said:

Can we get an injection of youthful enthusiasm for the 17/18 season?

I believe Jankowski is pretty much a given, but I'd hope at 3C, not 4. Personal opinion.

I would put his chances at greater than 50%, for the first time in he tenure with us.  But I still wouldn't personally assume it.  He will have to have a very good training camp, Especially if he wants to remain at center on this team (of course trades could change that situation).

What I'm hoping is we can get a good offseason rise out of Lomberg and Hathaway to wing the 4th line.

Possible.  If not, we can acquire it.  But internal would be preferable.

No to Stajan and Bouma, it's time for some change. Get a hard playing C to front the 2 aforementioned, Fiddler's getting long in the tooth, but someone like that.

I believe we need that on the 4th, energy, energy, energy.

I hope we can, but it's just that, hope.

I agree.  Unless, of course, they really step it up (which I don't suspect).  Would be amazing if we could get a return for them.

Andersson I believe is ready to 3rd pair with a hard-working summer too. He took the heat for coming to camp out of shape last year, hopefully he learned a huge lesson.

We really need this...we need some form of progression from the farm, we can't go to market constantly for upgrades.

While agree in the capability, I personally believe he would develop better as a first line D on the Heat next year.   I feel he has a high ceiling that requires development in that role. 

Others:

David Rittich and Gillies:  I think they should both be given shots, depending on training camp.   JMHO.

Mangiapane:  I feel that Mangiapane showed steady improvement all year, and was a key player for them come playoff time.   Depending on how he does in training camp, I think he could potentially make a surprise run for it.   He finished the year stronger than Klimchuck really, yet he's a year younger than MK.  Klimchuck may be taller, but they actually weigh the same.   Never underestimate the short stocky players.  But I'd also be okay with him seasoning for another year.  He could potentially have a breakout year in the AHL in a role he would not get with the Flames.

Klimchuck:   As per above, I actually see Mangiapane as emerging (by the end of the season) as the more dominant player of the two.  And, a year younger.   IMHO, I don't think Klimchuck will make it this year because:  One, he just needs more time.  Two:  he will have tough competition in training camp for the position against Mangiapane.

Kylington:  Not ready, imho, but I think he finished the season strong.  Sooo young, I still see a high ceiling here.  Definitely AHL, so not sure why I listed him, but I think he is due for a breakout season. 

Adam Ollas-Mattson:   Not ready At All, BUT really promising.   I don't think he'll ever be a top line guy, but he could be an amazing 3 or 4 D.    1-2 more AHL years to go, IMHO.

40 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I would put his chances at greater than 50%, for the first time in he tenure with us.  But I still wouldn't personally assume it.  He will have to have a very good training camp, Especially if he wants to remain at center on this team (of course trades could change that situation).

Possible.  If not, we can acquire it.  But internal would be preferable.

I agree.  Unless, of course, they really step it up (which I don't suspect).  Would be amazing if we could get a return for them.

While agree in the capability, I personally believe he would develop better as a first line D on the Heat next year.   I feel he has a high ceiling that requires development in that role. 

Others:

David Rittich and Gillies:  I think they should both be given shots, depending on training camp.   JMHO.

Mangiapane:  I feel that Mangiapane showed steady improvement all year, and was a key player for them come playoff time.   Depending on how he does in training camp, I think he could potentially make a surprise run for it.   He finished the year stronger than Klimchuck really, yet he's a year younger than MK.  Klimchuck may be taller, but they actually weigh the same.   Never underestimate the short stocky players.  But I'd also be okay with him seasoning for another year.  He could potentially have a breakout year in the AHL in a role he would not get with the Flames.

Klimchuck:   As per above, I actually see Mangiapane as emerging (by the end of the season) as the more dominant player of the two.  And, a year younger.   IMHO, I don't think Klimchuck will make it this year because:  One, he just needs more time.  Two:  he will have tough competition in training camp for the position against Mangiapane.

Kylington:  Not ready, imho, but I think he finished the season strong.  Sooo young, I still see a high ceiling here.  Definitely AHL, so not sure why I listed him, but I think he is due for a breakout season. 

Adam Ollas-Mattson:   Not ready At All, BUT really promising.   I don't think he'll ever be a top line guy, but he could be an amazing 3 or 4 D.    1-2 more AHL years to go, IMHO.

I am higher on Mangiapane than most.  Not sure where he would fit in the lineup, but  think he could be a goal scorer.  I worry about the development of some of our players in Stockton, so maybe it would be best to bring up the best winger on the Heat this year.  I think both Mang and Klim both have enough defensive smarts that if they were good enough for the NHL, they should play there.   

I wish that AOM had come over sooner.  Too many darn D prospects down in Stockton.  I would like to see a bit more of him to compare him to the career AHL guys and the guys like Kulak and Spoon.  We keep bringing in guys and they stay there.  

37 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I am higher on Mangiapane than most.  Not sure where he would fit in the lineup, but  think he could be a goal scorer.  I worry about the development of some of our players in Stockton, so maybe it would be best to bring up the best winger on the Heat this year.  I think both Mang and Klim both have enough defensive smarts that if they were good enough for the NHL, they should play there.   

I wish that AOM had come over sooner.  Too many darn D prospects down in Stockton.  I would like to see a bit more of him to compare him to the career AHL guys and the guys like Kulak and Spoon.  We keep bringing in guys and they stay there.  

I really like Mangiapane too. I hope that he does not get labelled as too small to play in Calgary. I understand that we want to get bigger, but he is such a talent. I often found it hard to play against little fellers. When they lean down/forward, they are difficult to check. 

13 hours ago, JTech780 said:

One guy that might be a bit of a wild card is Dillon Dube. He is a long shot, but if he has a good off season of workouts and gets stronger I could see him pushing his way onto the roster.

This season ? I wouldn't think so doesn't he have another year of Junior yet ?

4 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

This season ? I wouldn't think so doesn't he have another year of Junior yet ?

He does have another year of junior. I did say he would be a long shot, but he probably is our best forward prospect.  He seems like the kind of player that will come into camp determined and not intimidated. I think he will push hard for a spot this year.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

He does have another year of junior. I did say he would be a long shot, but he probably is our best forward prospect.  He seems like the kind of player that will come into camp determined and not intimidated. I think he will push hard for a spot this year.

Can't see it, at best he would be a 4th line winger. Why not let him keep gaining experience with minor league or Junior playing time ? It isn't like he is essential for us.

7 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Can't see it, at best he would be a 4th line winger. Why not let him keep gaining experience with minor league or Junior playing time ? It isn't like he is essential for us.

Has to be junior or NHL.  He's also going to be a vet on the WJC Team Canada this season, so he would have to have a spectacular camp to be considered for a roster spot.  BTW, he's a center, so it's possible he could beat out Janko or otherwise for a 4th line C.  That is assuming Stajan is gone.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Has to be junior or NHL.  He's also going to be a vet on the WJC Team Canada this season, so he would have to have a spectacular camp to be considered for a roster spot.  BTW, he's a center, so it's possible he could beat out Janko or otherwise for a 4th line C.  That is assuming Stajan is gone.

Listed yes, but he's played both C and wing in his WHL career. Natural at both and IMO he'll wind up as a winger not a center at the pro level. 

I think Dube is still 2-3 years away. he needs more strength to play his style and I think he can work on making more of an impact 5 on 5. Right now he gets alot of his production on the PP. That being said, I get where JTech is coming from that if you are looking for a dark horse Dube is a good bet. His tenacity is very much needed on the big club. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Listed yes, but he's played both C and wing in his WHL career. Natural at both and IMO he'll wind up as a winger not a center at the pro level. 

I think Dube is still 2-3 years away. he needs more strength to play his style and I think he can work on making more of an impact 5 on 5. Right now he gets alot of his production on the PP. That being said, I get where JTech is coming from that if you are looking for a dark horse Dube is a good bet. His tenacity is very much needed on the big club. 

Yeah. I think he most likely to end up back in junior. I just can see him having a really good camp and making it a tough decision. It wouldn't at all surprise me to see him having a better camp than Mangiapane. I think Dube's versatility and tenacity are going to get him to the NHL a lot sooner than people think. Cross is right though he does need to get stronger.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Yeah. I think he most likely to end up back in junior. I just can see him having a really good camp and making it a tough decision. It wouldn't at all surprise me to see him having a better camp than Mangiapane. I think Dube's versatility and tenacity are going to get him to the NHL a lot sooner than people think. Cross is right though he does need to get stronger.

I love Dube and believe when ready he will come on quickly for us.

Archived