Curtis Lazar

AlbertaBoy12

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, kehatch said:

Meh. He is likely better then what we would have got at the draft. I prefer picking up him then blowing the pick on a rental and Treliving was under pressure to do something. Lazar is a young RH shot and he plays a power game so he clearly fills an organizational need. 

I guess we will see. But I think the Flames protect Gaudreau, Bennett, Monahan, Frolik, Backlund, Ferland, and Lazar. Which is fine. Losing Brouwer and his contract isn't the end of the world. 

Welcome back to the flames forums. 

For what it is worth, I think this is a great trade for Calgary. I think Lazar is a young guy that adds some heart and skill to this team. For those of you that are interested, check out this article from Ottawa's newspaper. They are clearly not happy with losing Lazar.

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/nhl/senatorsextra/brennan-beware-the-last-minute-deal-of-curtis-lazar

6 hours ago, Bluejays524 said:

Thanks for the article. This and some other readings confirmed for me that Lazar is a good additional piece to our core. Can't wait to see what he can do to contribute.

Welcome to Calgary Lazar. Show them what you are made of and keep on smiling!

11 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Excluding the “Meh”, I concur with the rest.  I think the 2nd rd pick is worth the risk for a proven winner with great attitude, upside should be very good for many years.  Vrbata would have been the alternative, 20 something games, maybe zero chemistry then gone.  I’ll take Lazar over a rental at this stage of the game.

I stand by the meh. :)

I acknowledge the low price, the need for a young RH shot, and the fact we are upgrading a second round pick to a former first rounder who is NHL ready. 

But at the end of the day I don't love Lazar. He has shown very little in the NHL to this point. His upside is probably a third line physical winger with decent possession and I am not very confident his reaches his upside. 

I prefer to look at the upside of trades (with the exception of the truly bad ones - which this isn't.) The Flames also know this player which gives a little hope. But when you don't love the player it's tough to love the trade. 

2 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I stand by the meh. :)

I acknowledge the low price, the need for a young RH shot, and the fact we are upgrading a second round pick to a former first rounder who is NHL ready. 

But at the end of the day I don't love Lazar. He has shown very little in the NHL to this point. His upside is probably a third line physical winger with decent possession and I am not very confident his reaches his upside. 

I prefer to look at the upside of trades (with the exception of the truly bad ones - which this isn't.) The Flames also know this player which gives a little hope. But when you don't love the player it's tough to love the trade. 

It is always hard to determine upside especially when OTT fumbled the ball with Lazar more than the player himself. I do believe what Lazar does from here will be up to him but we obtained a very useable player that could do very well here. I will say I like the idea of Lazar on RW with Bennett more so than Brouwer.

45 minutes ago, Pucksage said:

I think GM is thinking Lazar may in the future replace Stajan on 4th line, not now but when he's ready to carry that line.

Hard to know what the thinking is at this stage and BT will have decisions to make surrounding Stajan and Backlund. We have a few players that could slide into Stajan's C position so hopefully Lazar pans out higher up.

Here is a list of Calgary’s all time 2nd round draft choices.  There were a few good defenders there but other than Nieuwendyk I don’t see many stars.  I think Lazar could easily end up better than Ranhiem and Stoll (#2 and #3 on the list).

16702f022e4088cf6be936479af3fd77.png

1 hour ago, rocketdoctor said:

They said the same of Stone but he was straight in.   But then again he was replacing Wideman......

They already gave Wideman a new assignment...   It's in a construction zone close to the University...

ad07a4ecb966db61d9b52c247a30cb51.png

I honestly see Lazar as a prospect still so him not starting right away is fine with me. We are on a nice streak and there's no need to throw him into the fire right away. Not sure why Dorion didn't just pick up J Pak off waivers but oh well. In a lot of ways Lazar reminds of a Ferland 2.0..he doesn't have the size and intimidation factor but I'd expect a similar game from him.

6 hours ago, rickross said:

I honestly see Lazar as a prospect still so him not starting right away is fine with me. We are on a nice streak and there's no need to throw him into the fire right away. Not sure why Dorion didn't just pick up J Pak off waivers but oh well. In a lot of ways Lazar reminds of a Ferland 2.0..he doesn't have the size and intimidation factor but I'd expect a similar game from him.

Could he be a Glencross? But with a few less goals? If his ceiling ends up 15 goals per year, would we be happy with that? 

Energy

PK

POP some depth scoring, is that worth a 2nd?

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Could he be a Glencross? But with a few less goals? If his ceiling ends up 15 goals per year, would we be happy with that? 

Energy

PK

I think I posted in the other lazar thread but I think its realistic to expect 15-20 goals and around 40 points if he meets his ceiling. I dont think you are looking at a guy thats going to pot 30, but a guy like frolik whos solid at both ends and will put 40 points up is just as valuable. Hes not at that point now, but I dont see any reason for him not to reach that, and I think that chance is worth a 2nd.

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Energy

PK

I understand Lazar will have some proving to do however he has held some responsible positions on teams throughout his young career. I think this deal could be a real steal for the Flames in time. Hopefully OTT's mismanagement of the player ends up being our good fortune.

51 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I understand Lazar will have some proving to do however he has held some responsible positions on teams throughout his young career. I think this deal could be a real steal for the Flames in time. Hopefully OTT's mismanagement of the player ends up being our good fortune.

Dave cameron had nothing but good things to say about the kid. Obviously hes not going to list off bad things, but he did bring up his use as a pker, a shot blocker(doesnt everyone do this now though), but he said he was a very dependable player for him in ottawa.

Just now, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Dave cameron had nothing but good things to say about the kid. Obviously hes not going to list off bad things, but he did bring up his use as a pker, a shot blocker(doesnt everyone do this now though), but he said he was a very dependable player for him in ottawa.

I think you touched on it above, eventually players such as Stajan, Frolik, Brouwer maybe even Backlund may be gone. Lazar is 22 and has the ability of any of the players mentioned given the playing time and experience.

Thats the thing with Lazar is no one has seen his NHL ceiling yet. I'd be ecstatic with him putting up 40 pts and 15-20 goals a year, he spent enough time with the Oil Kings to know what kind of player we're getting. I think a strong off season and more timw within the organization and this trade could come out in our favour

Archived