Curtis Lazar

AlbertaBoy12

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

You lost me at Shinkaruk dude.

Do we even need to protect him because has he played the minimum number of games?  

And more importantly, why?  He is trending the wrong way.  I would have traded Shinkaruk straight up for Lazar as I don't feel Shinkaruk plays enough of a 200 ft game required to succeed in the NHL.  He remains a long shot project.

Eventually better than Frolik?!

I think the Flames have to expose him because he's played 'technically' three professional seasons. 

I admit it is a long shot, but I do have hope in Shinkaruk, perhaps a bias opinion (okay, a lot of bias opinion). 

I projected Shinkaruk to be a 40-50 point producer in the NHL by the time he was in his prime, that's all. 

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

Protecting Shink over Frolik is not smart at all. Frolik is a proven 2 way foward with size and speed. He is good for 15-20 goal per season and kills penalties. Under 5mil. Why? Tell me why you protect gut feeling over proof?

There is a reason I'm not a GM. :lol:

Shink is still a prospect, and obviously a community is going to have different opinions, but I've always had high hopes. Like I said above, I always projected him to be a 40+ point producer. Not only that, but Shink can play on the wing or down the middle, and would offer a coach some flexibility. 

Lazar and Shinkaruk remind me of Backlund when he first joined the Flames roster. Sure, Backlund was far better at defending than both of them together, but there is room for improvement. After all, Lazar and Shinkaruk are young enough to refine their roles.  

I've seen sparks of offensive and defensive awareness from Shinkaruk, and Lazar always struck me as a gritty forward with a ton of character. 

Given Lazar is expansion draft eligible i'm going to assume Treliving likely has done his homework already and know who McPhee is eyeing for the Flames and how this would impact it. I doubt very much Treliving would give up a 2nd round pick is he was concerned about losing Lazar in the expansion draft. 

There is no way the Flames are exposing Frolik but Brouwer is one that I think they might give consideration too. Acquiring Lazar could potetnially give them enough ammo to expose Brouwer and just say their hands were tied. I'm also not really convinced Brouwer would get claimed as that just isn't a very good contract and i'm sure even McPhee may not want to be stuck with it. 

I don't think the flames will bat an eye if Shinkaruk is claimed. While he may turn out to be an ok goal scorer at the NHL level Flames have LW -Gaudreau - Tkachuk long term and guys like Klimchuck, Ferland and now Lazar he is battling with in the near future with guys like Mangiapane on the way. Losing Shinkaruk isn't a big deal and he certainly is not worth protecting. 

13 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Given Lazar is expansion draft eligible i'm going to assume Treliving likely has done his homework already and know who McPhee is eyeing for the Flames and how this would impact it. I doubt very much Treliving would give up a 2nd round pick is he was concerned about losing Lazar in the expansion draft. 

There is no way the Flames are exposing Frolik but Brouwer is one that I think they might give consideration too. Acquiring Lazar could potetnially give them enough ammo to expose Brouwer and just say their hands were tied. I'm also not really convinced Brouwer would get claimed as that just isn't a very good contract and i'm sure even McPhee may not want to be stuck with it. 

I don't think the flames will bat an eye if Shinkaruk is claimed. While he may turn out to be an ok goal scorer at the NHL level Flames have Gaudreau - Tkachuk long term and guys like Klimchuck, Ferland and now Lazar he is battling with in the near future with guys like Mangiapane on the way. Losing Shinkaruk isn't a big deal and he certainly is not worth protecting. 

I think you are pretty close to the truth there.

They have to protect Lazar.  They can expose Brouwer, Stone (if they can't circumvent it somehow), Bart-man, Stajan and Bouma.  

Either that or they have already discussed some things with LV.  

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Prospects are unknowns and may never have the upside you speak of here. If Lazar does top out as a 3rd line C and a very good one sooner than that 2nd pick who could take another 3 years to prove out I think the team is better served.

He is young and in an age group similar to the core. As they peak and he peaks, it could be perfect in the long term. We need good depth players to succeed. 

What if he does well with Bennett? 

Either way, in a not very deep draft... not a terrible deal.

Would like to welcome the kid to Calgary. I am Ok with this, he is bigger and can skate. He is an upgrade over Chassion but I am not sure he is anything above a 3rd liner.  Our system is built for speed and fast transition so for now he could be fine. The kid still has to prove himself to make the lineup. Over all a NHL player for a 2nd rounder in a very weak draft, has to be a win.

Meh. He is likely better then what we would have got at the draft. I prefer picking up him then blowing the pick on a rental and Treliving was under pressure to do something. Lazar is a young RH shot and he plays a power game so he clearly fills an organizational need. 

I guess we will see. But I think the Flames protect Gaudreau, Bennett, Monahan, Frolik, Backlund, Ferland, and Lazar. Which is fine. Losing Brouwer and his contract isn't the end of the world. 

Listening to a couple of interviews and doing some more digging into this guy, I am starting to come around. I think he and Bennett are kind of going through the same things, both play an uptempo game, in your face game, and when they deviate from that they get a bit lost. Lazar was getting less than 9mins of ice time a night, I am not sure how Ottawa figured he would develop playing those type of minutes.

It would be nice to see him and Bennett develop some chemistry

With the lineup as is I see us protecting 

Forwards 7                  Defence 3

Gaudreau                    Giordano

Monahan                     Brodie

Ferland                        Hamilton

Backlund

Frolik

Bennett

Lazar

I'd be fine with exposing the rest including Brouwer. I also think we re-sign one of our two goalies or sign another at the end of the season to protect. 

I think Vegas in this scenario might take Bouma or Shinkaruk. 

It's not going to look good but I think it's looking pretty likely the flames could expose Brouwer. Maybe they get lucky and get out from under what looks to be a mistake. 

Im still not convinced LV would take Brouwer but exposing him is an option now. I think they needed another forward to make it an option. 

So only 1 but we have to allow 2 options 1 D and 1 F Ok I C Im not going to knock Brouwer I thought him and Ben did great in preseason but have not done anything in Reg so maybe ben and the Lazar Brouwer could make it work?

Good trade for a fair price, this kid was rushed into the the show and his game has suffered because of it. His first season in Ottawa was stellar. Maybe not in terms of his stats, but when they went on there crazy run his line was one of the driving factors in that.

I think the risk/reward was well worth a 2nd. Especially when you factor in that hes a right hand shot who can play wing and center. A calculated bet by a group who knows Lazar well.

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

Meh. He is likely better then what we would have got at the draft. I prefer picking up him then blowing the pick on a rental and Treliving was under pressure to do something. Lazar is a young RH shot and he plays a power game so he clearly fills an organizational need. 

I guess we will see. But I think the Flames protect Gaudreau, Bennett, Monahan, Frolik, Backlund, Ferland, and Lazar. Which is fine. Losing Brouwer and his contract isn't the end of the world. 

Excluding the “Meh”, I concur with the rest.  I think the 2nd rd pick is worth the risk for a proven winner with great attitude, upside should be very good for many years.  Vrbata would have been the alternative, 20 something games, maybe zero chemistry then gone.  I’ll take Lazar over a rental at this stage of the game.

51 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Excluding the “Meh”, I concur with the rest.  I think the 2nd rd pick is worth the risk for a proven winner with great attitude, upside should be very good for many years.  Vrbata would have been the alternative, 20 something games, maybe zero chemistry then gone.  I’ll take Lazar over a rental at this stage of the game.

I honestly believe people will look back on this trade deadline and see Tre as a savy GM that from what I can see added two very nice peices at minimal cost. No other GM was able to shake out players they see a future with and exploit the looming expansion draft.

The stone deal was a thing of beauty, potentialy bringing in a top 4-5 dman without having to protect him...

And I am still a big Lazar fan, I think the juice is worth the squeeze and look forward to seeing if he can find his stride. If he can, watch out...

Ferly

Chucky

Bennett

Lazar

Thats a heavy, highly skilled group of players for your top 9. 

And Id say worth a 2nd in a weak draft.

I had a feeling the flames were going to target Lazar, and I - like some others - hope he and Bennett develop some chemistry. I could see lazar rw but stepping in for offensive zone face offs when it's advantageous to us. Bennett and lazar could become pretty complimentary players. 

Welcome to the flames Laser!

23 minutes ago, TrippinVdUb said:

Question?

As an RFA can the Flames sign Lazar to a 2 way deal?

It becomes a bit of a moot point, because he is waiver eligible.  To take advantage of the lower salary, you would need to waive him.  

He's not going to get much of a bump this summer.  He will need to prove he's worth more than a Ferland or Chaisson.

Archived