Curtis Lazar

AlbertaBoy12

6 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

LOL there are better RWs than Ferland, he has done ok there but let's not get carried away. I think many are underscoring Stajan's value to another younger team but we will see. Personally I don't like to move a player such as Jankowski that has been groomed all his life as a C, especially when he plays the position well.

Im not arguing if theres a better RW then ferland, im asking why you would replace him. I dont see why you want to put brouwer in his spot when brouwer has not done anything to warrant that change this year.  I dont think you would be moving jankowski to the wing permanently, but theres nothing wrong with him playing with backlund and frolik for a year.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

You might as well give up on all this, Bennett is staying right where he is IMO. I just think management sees him as a C.

I am fine with that too, but we aren't going to go trading away our centers (if they're good and make us better) just because they're centers. That's stupid in my opinion. Look at teams like San Jose. They've been good for so long because they load up on C and have them play wing instead. 

Centers are usually smarter and see the game faster and are better defensively.  I said usually...

i am quite ok with Bennett playing C. But some of the C depth will have to convert eventually.

Just now, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Im not arguing if theres a better RW then ferland, im asking why you would replace him. I dont see why you want to put brouwer in his spot when brouwer has not done anything to warrant that change this year.  I dont think you would be moving jankowski to the wing permanently, but theres nothing wrong with him playing with backlund and frolik for a year.

For the money Brouwer is making and if he is still here I would try him back with Gaudreau and Monahan. If he can't be a fit there then we have a problem because he likely drops down to the 4th line and I don't think that would be his happy place. Another thought and I put this one out before is move Frolik to LW with Backlund C and Brouwer RW. Then they can decide whether it is Tkachuk or Ferland that plays with Gaudreau and Monahan.

Just now, robrob74 said:

I am fine with that too, but we aren't going to go trading away our centers (if they're good and make us better) just because they're centers. That's stupid in my opinion. Look at teams like San Jose. They've been good for so long because they load up on C and have them play wing instead. 

Centers are usually smarter and see the game faster and better are defensively.  I said usually...

i am quite ok with Bennett playing C. But some of the C depth will have to convert eventually.

Why ? what is wrong with Monahan, Backlund, Bennett and Jankowski down the middle ?

4 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Why ? what is wrong with Monahan, Backlund, Bennett and Jankowski down the middle ?

I think that would look like great depth down the middle.

i just think  wed  not be giving them enough playing time. Like (I think it was) travel said today, it could've been Cross, but why play Jankowski only 10 minutes a game when he needs 16-18 as he is still developing?

i prefer him to keep developing as a skilled player. 

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think that would look like great depth down the middle.

i just think  wed  not be giving them enough playing time. Like (I think it was) travel said today, it could've been Cross, but why play Jankowski only 10 minutes a game when he needs 16-18 as he is still developing?

i prefer him to keep developing as a skilled player. 

The question becomes who does he replace with that further developed skill or does he step in and serve a purpose role on this team ? GG will have to see which lines are rolling good and distribute the minutes appropriately. All 4 lines are playing the same system and I know people want some "energy" from the 4th line although these roles are changing fast. I would love to have 4 solid talented lines with some versatility available.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

The question becomes who does he replace with that further developed skill or does he step in and serve a purpose role on this team ? GG will have to see which lines are rolling good and distribute the minutes appropriately. All 4 lines are playing the same system and I know people want some "energy" from the 4th line although these roles are changing fast. I would love to have 4 solid talented lines with some versatility available.

I get what you're saying, go with the line that is clicking on any given night. That could motivate everyone to play for the time. If you're not going, then you don't play as much?

maybe I am too old school? I like an energy line that can punish. If we are too skilled, there usually isn't enough grit. Guys like kopitar, kesler and so on are hard to come by. I think there's always going to be some sort of intimidation factor. I could be wrong. But I think that's why we get pushed around by Anaheim, etc...

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

maybe I am too old school? I like an energy line that can punish. If we are too skilled, there usually isn't enough grit. Guys like kopitar, kesler and so on are hard to come by. I think there's always going to be some sort of intimidation factor. I could be wrong. But I think that's why we get pushed around by Anaheim, etc...

Minor quibble here. Do you still think that Kesler is a tough guy after getting clocked by Domi? He plays hard, no doubt, but he sure looked freaked after that one. My point is that he is actually easily intimidated by the right player. If targeted, he will fold. By contrast, I would say that Lucic, Iggy, and Ferkland are truly tough players as they are not easily intimidated. Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

Minor quibble here. Do you still think that Kesler is a tough guy after getting clocked by Domi? He plays hard, no doubt, but he sure looked freaked after that one. My point is that he is actually easily intimidated by the right player. If targeted, he will fold. By contrast, I would say that Lucic, Iggy, and Ferkland are truly tough players as they are not easily intimidated. Just a thought.

I guess it is more that he is cheap and like Burrows he picks his battles and turtles when it's not one he will lose.

edited in... I also want to see more from Ferland . He is my favourite player, but some nights he could do more to intimidate. 

5 hours ago, MAC331 said:

For the money Brouwer is making and if he is still here I would try him back with Gaudreau and Monahan. If he can't be a fit there then we have a problem because he likely drops down to the 4th line and I don't think that would be his happy place. Another thought and I put this one out before is move Frolik to LW with Backlund C and Brouwer RW. Then they can decide whether it is Tkachuk or Ferland that plays with Gaudreau and Monahan.

Why can brouwer not be playing with bennett again? you want to get rid of versteeg that would leave brouwer for duties with bennett. I could also see brouwer being tried with backlund and frolik, with frolik playing the left side

6 hours ago, rickross said:

That goal was big for Lazar but the assist was even bigger for Tkachuk!

It got Tkachuk his $212K bonus for reaching 35 assists...    It was good to see him reach that target, he more than earned that extra cash...

NIce goal by Lazar, I get a feeling we will be seeing more of those from him...   It looks like he might fit in better with the Flames than he did with the Sens...

15 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I think you are bang on Cowtown. Kesler and Cogliano do their thing (dirty crap) until someone takes them to task. I don't think they push us around anymore as much as frustrate us and get us off our game.

12 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Why can brouwer not be playing with bennett again? you want to get rid of versteeg that would leave brouwer for duties with bennett. I could also see brouwer being tried with backlund and frolik, with frolik playing the left side

I don't think Brouwer can keep up with Bennett another speedy LW. Gaudreau and Monahan (not a speed demon himself) are more methodical once in the offensive zone and Brouwer can still deliver that board work and front of net presence. I know we tried this combination once but not for a long time as GG was feeling out who worked well with who. He would have to be way better in this RW spot than he has shown this season and if he isn't there will be other options. We are developing some versatility within the ranks.

15 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I get what you're saying, go with the line that is clicking on any given night. That could motivate everyone to play for the time. If you're not going, then you don't play as much?

Some old school will always be required in hockey but what is required today IMO is some grit and skill on every line. Some lines may have more of one element over another. I will use Jankowski as an example C between two wingers such as Lomberg and Hathaway. Some think this a waste of what skill is within him, well what if playing a season with two such players toughens him up and makes him grittier as he moves into his career. Not everyone is like Tkachuk, fearless and skilled with many qualities to his game, I can't wait for him to add 20lbs and gain a few years experience. Give it a few years and we won't be pushed around by any team.

20 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I am fine with that too, but we aren't going to go trading away our centers (if they're good and make us better) just because they're centers. That's stupid in my opinion. Look at teams like San Jose. They've been good for so long because they load up on C and have them play wing instead

Centers are usually smarter and see the game faster and are better defensively.  I said usually...

Works for Team Canada too.

On April 8, 2017 at 7:19 PM, robrob74 said:

I guess it is more that he is cheap and like Burrows he picks his battles and turtles when it's not one he will lose.

edited in... I also want to see more from Ferland . He is my favourite player, but some nights he could do more to intimidate. 

Ferland is pretty solid when he shows up. Sometimes, he seems to not really be engaged. If he plays like he did last playoffs (i.e. pummel Bieksa), we will be a better team.

55 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Ferland is pretty solid when he shows up. Sometimes, he seems to not really be engaged. If he plays like he did last playoffs (i.e. pummel Bieksa), we will be a better team.

I think Ferland still lacks the confidence that he is a top line player.  He rarely makes risky plays now, which he was doing to pass the puck to someone else.  But, he hasn;t taken him game to a new level (which he could) by passing less and shooting more.  He mostly is still taking high shots at the goalie, instead of taking a look and alternating his placements.  As far as not being engaged, I think he is so concerned about being responsible that he won't stay out a second longer than his line, and he will avoid a hit to concentrate on the play.  Not a bad thing.  

Hey, isn;t this about Lazar?  I would like to see Lazar in the playoffs.  I think he offers something like Bennett did last playoffs; adrenaline with skill.  Just need to figure out who he could replace.  Bouma - move Stajan to LW?  Not really sure where else he could fit.  

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think Ferland still lacks the confidence that he is a top line player.  He rarely makes risky plays now, which he was doing to pass the puck to someone else.  But, he hasn;t taken him game to a new level (which he could) by passing less and shooting more.  He mostly is still taking high shots at the goalie, instead of taking a look and alternating his placements.  As far as not being engaged, I think he is so concerned about being responsible that he won't stay out a second longer than his line, and he will avoid a hit to concentrate on the play.  Not a bad thing.  

Hey, isn;t this about Lazar?  I would like to see Lazar in the playoffs.  I think he offers something like Bennett did last playoffs; adrenaline with skill.  Just need to figure out who he could replace.  Bouma - move Stajan to LW?  Not really sure where else he could fit.  

I think you're on to something. if he can play with Stajan it would give more skill on the 4th line and still add a bit of that grit that we need there. 

He he also has size so hoping he can muck it up a bit. It'll be good when some of those guys (Bouma's) are weened off of the team.

28 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think you're on to something. if he can play with Stajan it would give more skill on the 4th line and still add a bit of that grit that we need there. 

He he also has size so hoping he can muck it up a bit. It'll be good when some of those guys (Bouma's) are weened off of the team.

I forgot to say that having 2 centers is never a bad thing.  In fact, I might get Lazar to take only the draws on his strong side, leaving Matty to take those on his own strong side.  Just for draws.  You revert to your normal position afterwards.  Much like you do when the center is tossed.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Can't see Lazar suiting up for us at all, just sayin'.

Agree. Unless there is an injury for flames go down 2 or 3-0 I doubt you see lazar. This team has played well for a while now and everyone deserves a shot at the Ducks. 

Archived