Curtis Lazar

AlbertaBoy12

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya i'm not thrilled either. It's not horrendous by any means but it's too much. I don't really think there is that much upside to Lazar's game so to give up a 2nd for him doens't make me happy. I don't view giving up Jokipakka as much as I dont' think he is an NHL dman and likely won't be and getting Kostka gives them at least the same depth Jokipakka does so that is a wash. Kotska as a RH shot gives them additional depth there too.

Just not enough of a fan of Lazar for this trade to make me happy. I get the argument the Flames will likely make in that its not a great draft year so banking on Lazar is probably similar risk but I personally would have took my chances. I don't think Lazar has enough upside.

That beign said, I still think its probably Lazar plays in the NHL and could be a heart/sole guy on the bottom 6 like Nystrom use to be for the Flames so its not like I think he is useless. 

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I don't think I like this trade. I thought a 2nd alone was too much for him. Adding Jokipakka and just getting vet AHL defenseman in return isn't a good return. Where is he going to play?

I think BT dealt from a surplus of LSD and added another RSD Kostka, A 2nd round pick isn't bad for Lazar who can add to the competition for C and gives BT options for dealing with Stajan and Backlund. Lazar could also allow them to move Bennett to LW next season.

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think BT dealt from a surplus of LSD and added another RSD Kostka, A 2nd round pick isn't bad for Lazar who can add to the competition for C and gives BT options for dealing with Stajan and Backlund. Lazar could also allow them to move Bennett to LW next season.

Lazar is a better winger than a center and he is most definitely not a good enough center to move Bennett to the wing. That would be a very poor move on the Flames part. 

I like this trade, it's future and current planning...wish we got smith from Nash but hey, this is not bad.

we need Power Fwrds on RW Lazar can and will be that guy.

nice to see the Mgt looking at future and present for once and nabbing a guy who has a history of solid play and I the same age zone as our core.

price and demand on Lazar would have only gone way up.  He is a solid NHLer in a bad spot just needs a change.   Never a bad risk on a 2nd Rd pic to get a fairly established 1st rounder from a few years ago.

though this summer we need to grab another power forward on the RW.  Hope Smith in Nash is available and reasonable price in FA....

then all we need is a solid Goaltender and one more top 4 dman in around the mid to late 20's marker next year. But for now Lazar will a huge help wait and see!

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Ya i'm not thrilled either. It's not horrendous by any means but it's too much. I don't really think there is that much upside to Lazar's game so to give up a 2nd for him doens't make me happy. I don't view giving up Jokipakka as much as I dont' think he is an NHL dman and likely won't be and getting Kostka gives them at least the same depth Jokipakka does so that is a wash. Kotska as a RH shot gives them additional depth there too.

Just not enough of a fan of Lazar for this trade to make me happy. I get the argument the Flames will likely make in that its not a great draft year so banking on Lazar is probably similar risk but I personally would have took my chances. I don't think Lazar has enough upside.

That beign said, I still think its probably Lazar plays in the NHL and could be a heart/sole guy on the bottom 6 like Nystrom use to be for the Flames so its not like I think he is useless. 

I think you are saying it yourself here, if the draft is that weak why not pick up a player with NHL experience already and could eventually help fill in once Stajan is gone or if the decision not to keep Backlund happens. I like him so I hope he comes in and proves you wrong.

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Lazar is a better winger than a center and he is most definitely not a good enough center to move Bennett to the wing. That would be a very poor move on the Flames part. 

Says you. I would venture to guess Lazar is smarter than you think and maybe smarter than Bennett to play the C position. Should be interesting.

I really like this trade. He has better nhl stats and upside than 3 of the 4 1st rounders that we have from the 2013 draft. Joki just cleared waivers so the deal was a second rounder in a poor draft plus potentially 3,375 usd for a 1st rnd project with nhl experience and a veteran rhd callup. This might lite a fire under Lazar and hopefully give us a better prospect than we could have got with our 2nd this year.

Well done BT.

17 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think you are saying it yourself here, if the draft is that weak why not pick up a player with NHL experience already and could eventually help fill in once Stajan is gone or if the decision not to keep Backlund happens. I like him so I hope he comes in and proves you wrong.

To each his own. I would much rather take the chance on a pick that you get someone with a higher upside than what Lazar has. I understand and appreciate the argument both ways its just my preference to take the more upside and accept the risk that your pick may never play in the NHL but that is me. Especially when I don't view Lazar as someone who can get above the 3rd line. Personal preference, not that I don't dislike Lazar I do I just don't like the cost associated with him. 

I hope he proves me wrong too. I will say, he still has a chance to be someone who can anchor your bottom 6 for the next 6-8 years and be a heart and soul type guy so it's not like i'm saying he is a plug. I don't just think they got great value that is all. 

I mentioned in the trade suggestion thread that I would give a third rounder max to acquire Lazar as I don't see him much beyond former Flames like Granlund and Horak who we've had here before.  I would add Josh Jooris to the list of comparables.  

These players are serviceable depth players and shouldn't cost a second rounder.  There is very little top 6 potential with Lazar.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

I mentioned in the trade suggestion thread that I would give a third rounder max to acquire Lazar as I don't see him much beyond former Flames like Granlund and Horak who we've had here before.  I would add Josh Jooris to the list of comparables.  

These players are serviceable depth players and shouldn't cost a second rounder.  There is very little top 6 potential with Lazar.

Funny you should mention Granlund, who has a realistic chance of scoring 20 goals and 35 points with the Canucks this season.  Kind of wish we had held on to him in place of someone like Chiasson.  Shink's a bust.

So where does he play? I am pretty sure he needs waivers to go to Stockton. So does he just sit in the press box for now? Ferland or Monahan aren't coming off the top line right now so he isn't playing there. Frolik or Backlund aren't coming off the 2nd line so he isn't playing there. I would be surprised if he played on the 3rd line over Brouwer. So does that leave him getting 4th line minutes over Chiasson, I am not even sure I would do that.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

So where does he play? I am pretty sure he needs waivers to go to Stockton. So does he just sit in the press box for now? Ferland or Monahan aren't coming off the top line right now so he isn't playing there. Frolik or Backlund aren't coming off the 2nd line so he isn't playing there. I would be surprised if he played on the 3rd line over Brouwer. So does that leave him getting 4th line minutes over Chiasson, I am not even sure I would do that.

he does need waivers yes.

I imagine they will put him right int he lineup over chiasson and give him a few games to see what happens. Pending on how he plays, he liekly rotates in with Chiasson in that spot. I believe he plays LW and RW too so it woudlnt shock me to see them take Bouma out too as I do believe the plan is to get Hathaway back up here 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

To each his own. I would much rather take the chance on a pick that you get someone with a higher upside than what Lazar has. I understand and appreciate the argument both ways its just my preference to take the more upside and accept the risk that your pick may never play in the NHL but that is me. Especially when I don't view Lazar as someone who can get above the 3rd line. Personal preference, not that I don't dislike Lazar I do I just don't like the cost associated with him. 

I hope he proves me wrong too. I will say, he still has a chance to be someone who can anchor your bottom 6 for the next 6-8 years and be a heart and soul type guy so it's not like i'm saying he is a plug. I don't just think they got great value that is all. 

Prospects are unknowns and may never have the upside you speak of here. If Lazar does top out as a 3rd line C and a very good one sooner than that 2nd pick who could take another 3 years to prove out I think the team is better served.

11 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Funny you should mention Granlund, who has a realistic chance of scoring 20 goals and 35 points with the Canucks this season.  Kind of wish we had held on to him in place of someone like Chiasson.  Shink's a bust.

Ya Granlund flashed some potential when he first came onto the scene with the Flames but then he faded after 3 months.  We never knew if he was ever going to get it back.  John Weisbrod obviously thinks highly of him.

Likewise, Lazar has good speed and character.  Other than that, he lacks tools and high end skill set like a sniper shot, passing, play making, physical dominance, etc so he will only go as far as his will and determination takes him.  Overall he is limited to a bottom 6 role.

Just now, The_People1 said:

Ya Granlund flashed some potential when he first came onto the scene with the Flames but then he faded after 3 months.  We never knew if he was ever going to get it back.  John Weisbrod obviously thinks highly of him.

Likewise, Lazar has good speed and character.  Other than that, he lacks tools and high end skill set like a sniper shot, passing, play making, physical dominance, etc so he will only go as far as his will and determination takes him.  Overall he is limited to a bottom 6 role.

I don't think you find that his resume says he lacks in the areas you mention, maybe the physical dominance part.

46 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Does LV take him in the draft?

You could make an argument to protect him.  Before I type anything more, I view Lazar as a bottom six player who can produce between 25 - 35 points by the time he is fully developed. I do believe the Flames paid a step price, but I'd be interested to see where it goes. A second round pick for a third line player is a tough pill to swallow, but he could end up being better. I wouldn't complain if Lazar ended up producing 35-45 points in 82 games eventually.  

Say the Flames protect 7 forwards. 

Going through the eligible players, you could potentially decide to keep him. 

Gaudreau, Monahan, Brouwer, Frolik, Backlund, Stajan, Bouma, Bollig, Versteeg, Bennett, Shinkaruk, Poirier, Ferland, Chiasson, Vey and Hamilton are the Flames forwards that are eligible for the expansion draft. The Flames also have to expose two forwards who are under contract for the 2017-18 season and have played 70 or more games in the last two NHL seasons (or 40 games in the prior season). 

However, only a few Flames actually meet the exposure requirements: Monahan, Gaudreau, Brouwer, Frolik, Backlund and Stajan. It's easy to pick Brouwer and Stajan to be exposed. 

Surprisingly, Hamilton, Giordano and Brodie were the only Flame defenders who met the exposure requirements, but recent trades have rectified that. Smart moves by BT, but that's another story. 

The obvious players to protect would be:

- Gaudreau

- Monahan

- Bennett 

After that you can start waging your options; right now you have four forwards you can still protect. I'd protect the following: 

- Ferland

- Lazar

- Backlund

- Shinkaruk

That means Frolik, Versteeg, Poirier, Chiasson, Vey, F. Hamilton, Bollig, Bouma, Stajan and Brouwer were exposed to the expansion draft.

It's not all that bad, though. The Flames need to expose two forwards that meet the requirements regardless, so that is Brouwer and Stajan. 

Poirer isn't working out in our system, he might do better in LV. It sucks loosing him for nothing, but he's already 22 and only has eight NHL games. 

Vey, Chiasson, Hamilton, Versteeg and Bollig were easy exposures for me. I don't see a lot of upside they could have on the Flames roster. 

Bouma, I like his role with the Flames, but I'd still expose him. 

Frolik is the tough one, but I think Shinkaruk will develop into a better NHL player than Frolik is. 

The way I protect the players comes with a risk, and that risk is declining in the standings for a few more seasons. But overall, I think it would put the Flames in a better position. 

Just my $0.02

19 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

He didn't have success at center here.  Never got much better than 35% on faceoffs.  I would have tried him on the wing before I moved him, but that was BH's choice; play Bennett on his wing.  Granny for Shinkaruk was a trade of a player that couldn't stick in the Flames lineup in a bad year for a player that didn't need waivers to go to the AHL. 

2 minutes ago, Zatch said:

You could make an argument to protect him.  Before I type anything more, I view Lazar as a bottom six player who can produce between 25 - 35 points by the time he is fully developed. I do believe the Flames paid a step price, but I'd be interested to see where it goes. A second round pick for a third line player is a tough pill to swallow, but he could end up being better. I wouldn't complain if Lazar ended up producing 35-45 points in 82 games eventually.  

Say the Flames protect 7 forwards. 

Going through the eligible players, you could potentially decide to keep him. 

Gaudreau, Monahan, Brouwer, Frolik, Backlund, Stajan, Bouma, Bollig, Versteeg, Bennett, Shinkaruk, Poirier, Ferland, Chiasson, Vey and Hamilton are the Flames forwards that are eligible for the expansion draft. The Flames also have to expose two forwards who are under contract for the 2017-18 season and have played 70 or more games in the last two NHL seasons (or 40 games in the prior season). 

However, only a few Flames actually meet the exposure requirements: Monahan, Gaudreau, Brouwer, Frolik, Backlund and Stajan. It's easy to pick Brouwer and Stajan to be exposed. 

Surprisingly, Hamilton, Giordano and Brodie were the only Flame defenders who met the exposure requirements, but recent trades have rectified that. Smart moves by BT, but that's another story. 

The obvious players to protect would be:

- Gaudreau

- Monahan

- Bennett 

After that you can start waging your options; right now you have four forwards you can still protect. I'd protect the following: 

- Ferland

- Lazar

- Backlund

- Shinkaruk

That means Frolik, Versteeg, Poirier, Chiasson, Vey, F. Hamilton, Bollig, Bouma, Stajan and Brouwer were exposed to the expansion draft.

It's not all that bad, though. The Flames need to expose two forwards that meet the requirements regardless, so that is Brouwer and Stajan. 

Poirer isn't working out in our system, he might do better in LV. It sucks loosing him for nothing, but he's already 22 and only has eight NHL games. 

Vey, Chiasson, Hamilton, Versteeg and Bollig were easy exposures for me. I don't see a lot of upside they could have on the Flames roster. 

Bouma, I like his role with the Flames, but I'd still expose him. 

Frolik is the tough one, but I think Shinkaruk will develop into a better NHL player than Frolik is. 

The way I protect the players comes with a risk, and that risk is declining in the standings for a few more seasons. But overall, I think it would put the Flames in a better position. 

Just my $0.02

You lost me at Shinkaruk dude.

Do we even need to protect him because has he played the minimum number of games?  

And more importantly, why?  He is trending the wrong way.  I would have traded Shinkaruk straight up for Lazar as I don't feel Shinkaruk plays enough of a 200 ft game required to succeed in the NHL.  He remains a long shot project.

Eventually better than Frolik?!

It's a great trade. Yes giving up the 2nd is not ideal but it is considered to be a weak draft year and Lazar being only 21 with 2 years NHL is a very safe gamble. I'm not sure how this changes the expansion draft plans if it does at all. We needed more depth at RW anyway and I'll think that's where they'll try and slot Lazar. Could make for a decent winger for Bennett if they are paired. 

I liked J Pak but his play never solidified his future with the Flames, he's a good depth D man but we just acquired 2 full time D men for the cost of a 3rd and likely 2018 5th as I see the Flames extending Stone. BT did well this TDL, gave away 1 depth D man a 2nd and 3rd in return for a 26 yr old solid full time 3/4 RHS D man coming off a 35pts+ season and a 21 yr old former 1st Rd pick with C/RW NHL experience. 

Archived